don't click here

Unleashed Wii/360 comparisons

Print

Author Topic: Unleashed Wii/360 comparisons  (Read 10203 times)

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
Unleashed Wii/360 comparisons
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:38:53 am »
OK, I'm just curious here.  Other than the graphics and the length of the levels, how do these two compare?  It took me awhile to get used to the item system here, and I'm curious how much of this also appears in the 360 version.
THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD

Each of the continents (save 1) has one temple where the levels are accessed; said temple includes three doors at the back for day levels, night levels, and boss stages and three/four doors on the sides to subchambers.  All day/night levels are accessed through the same two doors; as far as I am aware, the game just picks the next unfinished stage.  Particular stages can be selected from the world map.  Only exception thus far (I just completed Shamar Day) is the first continent; this has two temples, one in Apotos with the day and night doors (four subchambers) and one in Mazuri with the boss (star) door (three subchambers IIRC).

Apotos temple is the only one that is lit; all others are dark and are accessed by the werehog.  Subchambers consist of small "puzzles", mostly in the dark, which have some bright lights - these are solved with a combination of the day and night gameplay; every one I've tried thus far is mostly night, step into a light beam and Sonic reverts to hedgehog form for a small period of time before transforming back.  These contain item boxes; I've seen two to four in each room, and each box has a slightly different puzzle to it.

Doors are opened by tablets; sun tablet opens sun door, moon tablet opens moon door, planet tablet (made of the red and blue tablet fragments, assembled by someone in the village) opens star door to boss stage.  Boss stage may be either day or night; completing the boss stage restores one Chaos emerald and restores one continent.

Day stages consist of the main stage with the goal at the end, and a selection of missions.  Main stage has up to three moon medals, which are given for rank - one for B, two for A, three for S.  Rank is determined entirely upon completion time.  There are no medals in the stage itself; only item boxes and rings.  Missions are time-counts-backwards, unranked, and give one moon medal for completion.  Complete a certain set of missions with the main stage to get the red jewel tablet fragment.

Night stages consist of three stages (so far I've found; I know there are charts for four or five per continent).  I have yet to see/notice any smaller missions, though I know they probably exist.  Each stage has three sun medals, also upon rank, but this time criteria is different.  Best time, number of rings, and Gaia force collected are each tracked; each is compared to some threshold at the end of the stage, and each goal passed is worth one medal and a higher rank.  Again, no medals within the stage, just rings and item boxes.  Also worth noting that the grabbable surfaces in each level have a different pattern for each continent.  Complete these stages to get the blue jewel tablet fragment.

Each level is started with the same number of lives; you do NOT earn a free life at 100 rings, or anywhere in the level in fact.  (This is the part that really confused me at first.)  Start with two; more lives are obtained in item boxes.  In other words, at the beginning of the game, you start with two lives at the beginning of each stage; find a free life in an item box, and you then start with three lives at the beginning of each stage.

Item boxes appear to be the only collectable things in each stage other than rings.  Most contain stuff like concept art or game music that can be accessed in a gallery from the world map.  Daytime stage item boxes appear to be entirely of this type (though I've only actually gotten two so far).  Nighttime item boxes are either this (with a question mark) or contain Gaia force (a red orb).  The item boxes in the subchambers of the temples, however, may contain stuff like gallery items, but I've also found free lives (which is why you should investigate these chambers as soon as you've unlocked them) and keys to bonus stages (none of which I've tried yet).  I don't think free lives or level keys are found in the day or night stages.

Finally, the town areas (as you probably already know) consist of pointing to different places and talking them in a map form (not an explorable area).  Some villagers hold items; others give you information.  Said items are typically the gallery stuff that I mentioned before, or sun and moon tablets.  Also, once in Spagonia night, Sonic came across a bunch of people acting weird, and "fought" a number of Dark Gaia minions (done entirely with quicktime sequences).  I have yet to see this happen again, so I don't know what that was all about.

END SPOILERS
So, what is the 360 version like?
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Unleashed Wii/360 comparisons
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:49:38 am »
Nighttime item boxes are either this (with a question mark) or contain Gaia force (a red orb).

They contain Gaia force until you collect them once.  After that, they are replaced with Unleashed energy.

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:21:11 am »
The 360 Version is moar Awsome *Shot*

Anyway,

*Spoilers*

Each of the continents (save 1) has one temple where the levels are accessed; said temple includes three doors at the back for day levels, night levels, and boss stages and three/four doors on the sides to subchambers.  All day/night levels are accessed through the same two doors; as far as I am aware, the game just picks the next unfinished stage.  Particular stages can be selected from the world map.  Only exception thus far (I just completed Shamar Day) is the first continent; this has two temples, one in Apotos with the day and night doors (four subchambers) and one in Mazuri with the boss (star) door (three subchambers IIRC)

There is -NO- Gaia Temples on the 360 Version (Well there is, but it's Only a Cut scene), You access the Gaia temples By beating a Boss. (which the only way to access the boss is to beat the Night and Day Stages)

Doors are opened by tablets; sun tablet opens sun door, moon tablet opens moon door, planet tablet (made of the red and blue tablet fragments, assembled by someone in the village) opens star door to boss stage.  Boss stage may be either day or night; completing the boss stage restores one Chaos emerald and restores one continent

Since there are no -Extra- Rooms, in order to get to the stage you have to level up your Sun/moon Power.
(I.e. to get to Chun-nan Night, you need lvl. 3 Moon power Which is about 30-40 Moon medals)

Day stages consist of the main stage with the goal at the end, and a selection of missions.  Main stage has up to three moon medals, which are given for rank - one for B, two for A, three for S.  Rank is determined entirely upon completion time.  There are no medals in the stage itself; only item boxes and rings.  Missions are time-counts-backwards, unranked, and give one moon medal for completion.  Complete a certain set of missions with the main stage to get the red jewel tablet fragment

For Day stages There are About 7 moon Medals, And 3 Sun medals,
Unlike the wii Version you need to -Find- them (which some are well hidden), Rings are in the Stage but Instead of a "Item Box" you Get "Videos","art work", and "Music" (which you find About 3-7 Items Per level), as for the "red Fragment" it's a "Gaia Temple key" which you get Part of it After beating a Stage.

Night stages consist of three stages (so far I've found; I know there are charts for four or five per continent).  I have yet to see/notice any smaller missions, though I know they probably exist.  Each stage has three sun medals, also upon rank, but this time criteria is different.  Best time, number of rings, and Gaia force collected are each tracked; each is compared to some threshold at the end of the stage, and each goal passed is worth one medal and a higher rank.  Again, no medals within the stage, just rings and item boxes.  Also worth noting that the grabbable surfaces in each level have a different pattern for each continent.  Complete these stages to get the blue jewel tablet fragment

There are 2 "main" act's(1 for each), Other then Adabat (night) Which both are "main acts", Then there are "Optional" act's, Which are short Levels (which only have about 1-3 Sun/moon medals), During Day there are 3 act's (and 2 act's For Shamar, Holoska), During Night there are 2 Act's (and 1 act for Spagonia,holoska, and Shamar), During Night Stages there are 7 sun medals, and 3 moon medals, the ranking goes by, Time (which can only be seen at the end of the act), Rings, Combo, Crush, and enemy, The "grabbable" surfaces are different for each Continent to, For the "blue fragment" it's again a "Gaia Temple Key".

Each level is started with the same number of lives; you do NOT earn a free life at 100 rings, or anywhere in the level in fact.  (This is the part that really confused me at first.)  Start with two; more lives are obtained in item boxes.  In other words, at the beginning of the game, you start with two lives at the beginning of each stage; find a free life in an item box, and you then start with three lives at the beginning of each stage.

at the Start you get 5 lives (min, max being 99), you Only Earn a Free Life When you get 100 Rings (Only 100 You don't get another one for 200,300,400,Ect), and find a life token.

Item boxes appear to be the only collectable things in each stage other than rings.  Most contain stuff like concept art or game music that can be accessed in a gallery from the world map.  Daytime stage item boxes appear to be entirely of this type (though I've only actually gotten two so far).  Nighttime item boxes are either this (with a question mark) or contain Gaia force (a red orb).  The item boxes in the subchambers of the temples, however, may contain stuff like gallery items, but I've also found free lives (which is why you should investigate these chambers as soon as you've unlocked them) and keys to bonus stages (none of which I've tried yet).  I don't think free lives or level keys are found in the day or night stages.

the only Collectibles are, "Videos,"CD's, and "Art work" During "town stages" there are Extra items That you need to Get, (such as Food, Glasses, Ect.) You get the Item after you touch the goal ring (which it then Lists what you got), you can also get free lives During "Entrance Stages" (which is how you find the Acts.) there are 2 sun and moon medals,(and some extra Items) in the "Entrance Stages".

Finally, the town areas (as you probably already know) consist of pointing to different places and talking them in a map form (not an explorable area).  Some villagers hold items; others give you information.  Said items are typically the gallery stuff that I mentioned before, or sun and moon tablets.  Also, once in Spagonia night, Sonic came across a bunch of people acting weird, and "fought" a number of Dark Gaia minions (done entirely with quicktime sequences).  I have yet to see this happen again, so I don't know what that was all about

During Town Stage (A.k.a. Hubs) you get to walk around (Walk not run), you are Able to Grind,jump, Boost(glitch), Homing attack,and Stop During day, During night you are able to Double jump, and Attack, Talking to People allows you to get hint's, and allows you to play Missions, and if you are able to give them certain Items, if you talk to a Shop Keeper you are able to buy Souvenirs, and Food (if you give it to sonic he gains Exp, give it to chip and he will say Random junk and Give you 3 Videos), you can also talk to the "hot dog" Man he allows you to do Hot dog missions, When you complete a lvl. 1 mission he gives you 1 hot dog, if you Complete lvl. 2 you get 2 hot dogs, and when you complete lvl. 3 you get 3 hot dogs(each hot dog you get from him will give Sonic 70 Exp).

*end of spoilers*

So that's it <_<
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 02:33:15 am »
Here's what I know in terms of version comparisons (and researched). I have the 360 version.

Wii: 1. Day stages control better.
2. Much more tolerable Egg Man Land stages.
3. Superior Final Boss.
4. No forced collect a thon to progress.

360: 1. Better quality day stage design (except Egg Man Land).
2. Better controls and combat in night stages (except Egg Man Land).
3. Besides the final boss, generally better boss fights.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 08:56:12 pm »

As far as I've heard, that depends upon the controller.  I use Wii+Nunchuk (because there's no better way to do the night stages) and my only beef is that the boost isn't quite as responsive as I would like - unless I actually need to wait between boosts.

WHAT.  Crimson Carnival was a PAIN.  It was awesome, but a pain.  You're telling me the 360 one is WORSE?

3. Superior Final Boss.

Word.  Running through the Gaia Colossus was an unexpected surprise.  A good one at that.

Probably a plus ... I don't typically mind either way.

I wouldn't know on this one.

Eh, like I said earlier, Wiimote/Nunchuk rules for night stages.

Yeah... didn't care much for the Lancer....  <_<
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Alondite

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:18:33 pm »
Here's what I know in terms of version comparisons (and researched). I have the 360 version.

3. Superior Final Boss.

This is a HUGE pro.  Collecting medals in the 360 version is total BS, and completely unfun.

I would argue against that.  Sure, the 360 day stages are longer and have more "stuff" in them, but they are also riddled with crappy design elements, like sudden "jump or die" platforming, random spike strips and other arbitrary objects that seem to be there for the sole purpose of slowing you down, or stopping you for no reason, more QTEs and some autopilot-y "prompt" sections. The Wii levels seem stripped down, but they maintain their speed, have "manual" branching paths (relying on something other than QTE to get to) and just seem less cluttered, more straightforward and fast (though 360 has superior speed effects)
I would argue this too.  Combat may be better, but controls are not.  Grabbing onto grab points is less accurate, werehog has less grab range (so if you miss a legde, you fall, whereas in Wii his range is long enough to save yourself usually) and Wii werehog has massively superior jumping ability.  The Wii werehog stages also are lacking the lame "key" puzzles (though there is some simple key hunting, you don't have to carry them around) and the platforming seems better to me.  Also, in light of recent 360 werehog breaking, Wii werehog is more solid, and the stages seem to play a bit more like a Sonic game IMO.  Dash jumping is akin to SD Jumping and can be used to clear areas and find shortcuts and whatnot.

Offline Phantom the Hedgehog

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 08:01:38 pm »
I kinDa hate the fact that they make them Different it be better if they maDe a Sonic game that has awesome graphics,sweet abilities,anD the best Sonic characters in one single game

Click here to level up my license!

Cheesy Sidelines will be mine! >:D

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 08:05:14 pm »
1) Why the hell are all of your Ds capitalized
2) What does "awesome graphics, sweet abilities, and the best sonic characters in one game" have to do with the Unleashed versions being different
3) There are little to no decent Sonic characters besides Sonic himself, Eggman/Robotnik, Tails and Knuckles. Shadow -maybe- at a stretch, but only in his original appearance.
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline Telnaior

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 08:18:00 pm »
The boss fights in the Wii version are ok, some are reminiscent of these so-called 'Mouse Avoiders' you find around the web, although the day bosses can drag on for a while if you can't figure out what to do. They're all (day and night) very easy to S-rank though (For some reason, you only get an S or a C in Wii bosses, depending on if you beat the time target. They're also only worth one medal each.) There are 8 bosses, one for each continent + the final boss. The bosses alternate between day and night, also. I have no idea how the 360 versions work though, so someone fill me in on that.

Also, regarding the Extra collectibles, in the Wii version you don't find out what you got until the end of the stage (excepting Gaia Gate puzzles), and you can get BGM's, Movies, Artwork, and occasionally small hints (mostly about tactics).

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:39:48 pm »
Also, regarding the Extra collectibles, in the Wii version you don't find out what you got until the end of the stage (excepting Gaia Gate puzzles), and you can get BGM's, Movies, Artwork, and occasionally small hints (mostly about tactics).

The last page or two of the "secret documents" give you hints about where various items are located in certain levels.

Offline Phantom the Hedgehog

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 10:08:46 pm »
1) Why the hell are all of your Ds capitalized
2) What does "awesome graphics, sweet abilities, and the best sonic characters in one game" have to do with the Unleashed versions being different
3) There are little to no decent Sonic characters besides Sonic himself, Eggman/Robotnik, Tails and Knuckles. Shadow -maybe- at a stretch, but only in his original appearance.

A.1)My "D" Key is messeD up anD I can only type Capitol Ds
A.2)That woulD be the makings of a perfect Sonic Game
A.3)True....no other comment

Click here to level up my license!

Cheesy Sidelines will be mine! >:D

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 10:17:23 pm »
Each of the continents (save 1) has one temple where the levels are accessed; said temple includes three doors at the back for day levels, night levels, and boss stages and three/four doors on the sides to subchambers.  All day/night levels are accessed through the same two doors; as far as I am aware, the game just picks the next unfinished stage.  Particular stages can be selected from the world map.  Only exception thus far (I just completed Shamar Day) is the first continent; this has two temples, one in Apotos with the day and night doors (four subchambers) and one in Mazuri with the boss (star) door (three subchambers IIRC)

There is -NO- Gaia Temples on the 360 Version (Well there is, but it's Only a Cut scene), You access the Gaia temples By beating a Boss. (which the only way to access the boss is to beat the Night and Day Stages)
Let me correct this.  Sacred (or Secret) Shrine.  I forget.  Gaia Temples are the stuff you only see in cutscenes, and the doors are in shrines.  Different buildings.  I assume Kirby's saying there's no shrines.  And no tablets for the doors in them.
Hi

Print

Hits: 244 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.14 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.