don't click here

Got 1000/1000 on Sonic Unleashed, and...

Print

Author Topic: Got 1000/1000 on Sonic Unleashed, and...  (Read 15523 times)

Offline Nario

Got 1000/1000 on Sonic Unleashed, and...
« on: January 07, 2009, 04:16:02 am »
It was a good game, but absolutely nowhere near great. I think Sonic should be sold to Nintendo because SEGA doesn't know how to make great games. I was expecting this to be a great game, and it would've been had I just done the story and not go for the achievements, BUT THE GAME SHOWS ITS TRUE COLORS WHEN YOU TRY TO COMPLETE IT ALL. Seriously, some moments in the game were just terrible, but they shined like pure gold when they were good.

In comparison, Sonic 2006 was like having sex with tub girl while Sonic Unleashed was like performing cunnilingus while being randomly peed on once an hour, kinda like "What was that for???? Don't surprise me with that crap!" Score-wise, I would give Sonic 2006 a 4/10 while I would give Sonic Unleashed a 7/10.

Good: Day-time levels were fun and still enjoyable when you died, Night-time levels were a lot of fun and mostly played like God of War, music was amazing, and every boss except for the final boss were fun.

Bad: Terrible camera control when it's in a fixed position at night, unresponsive controls when trying to press the A/B/LB/RB buttons perfectly timed, Sonic slides too much and turns too slowly during the day, the HUB has the most boring/redundant/tedious/pointless NPCs and missions I've ever seen, finding all 400 Sun/Moon medals without a guide was extremely frustrating, Eggmanland was not beta-tested completely, some ledges and handles that could be locked-on to had tiny windows for error (which leads to more proof in a lack of beta-testing), and the hot dog missions were frustratingly repetitive.

With this said, I believe that Sonic Unleashed is much better than Sonic 2006, but still has a lot of problems because SEGA won't take its time to beta-test absolutely every single nook and cranny from every game they make, unlike Nintendo. Were Sonic Unleashed beta-tested to the point that every single glitch was removed and every bad-camera-angle-with-an-oh-so-conveniently-hard-to-reach-platform, then SEGA's reputation would be much better. It doesn't help that the HUB isn't fun at all.

I don't think Sonic needs to die--unlike what the Yahoo! article said--but just SEGA. They said they were bringing in their best developers to make this game and I can only assume that this is the best they can do. SEGA, you can't make great games. Please, just die.

Oh, and according to MyGamerCard, I'm 1 of 40 in the whole entire world to 100% this game.

Offline Parax

Re: Got 1000/1000 on Sonic Unleashed, and...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 04:24:09 am »
some ledges and handles that could be locked-on to had tiny windows for error

Turns out you can actually just hold B to grab ledges/handles/poles. Makes it much easier.

I didn't think sun/moon medal collecting was all that bad, kind of fun. Hot dog missions suck though, I haven't even bothered trying to finish all of those yet. >_>

Offline Nario

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 04:56:42 am »
I didn't think sun/moon medal collecting was all that bad, kind of fun. Hot dog missions suck though, I haven't even bothered trying to finish all of those yet. >_>
At least it's better than S-Ranking every stage and boss! :D Of course, it would've been better had they just kept the LV3 version of each hot dog, that way you'd only have to get 3 day hot dogs and 2 night hot dogs instead of 9 and 6. :( Plus, you're just doing the same thing three times in a row anyways.

Like I told you on Xbox Live, Eggmanland's hot dogs are insane. The requirements may have well been "Beat the level without dying", "Beat the level without dying again", and "Beat the level without dying again again", which is really stupid. Why not actually just keep it at "Beat the level without dying" and call it a day, SEGA? Seriously, who'd need 40 minutes on that stage???

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:41:07 pm »
Bad: Terrible camera control when it's in a fixed position at night,
unresponsive controls when trying to press the A/B/LB/RB buttons perfectly timed,
Sonic slides too much and turns too slowly during the day,
the HUB has the most boring/redundant/tedious/pointless NPCs and missions I've ever seen,
finding all 400 Sun/Moon medals without a guide was extremely frustrating,
Eggmanland was not beta-tested completely,
some ledges and handles that could be locked-on to had tiny windows for error (which leads to more proof in a lack of beta-testing), and
the hot dog missions were frustratingly repetitive.
Highly amused that very few of these exist in the Wii versions.

At least in the Wii version, I almost never had camera problems at night ... with very few exceptions, the camera pointed exactly where I wanted to go, and if Sonic was behind something, it would turn invisible.  IIRC, there were a couple of places where the camera was deliberately the issue (like an item box or two that would have been really obvious at other camera angles) but nothing serious.

Quick stepping isn't too bad (I would guess that's what you're referring to here) but it was kinda odd with Wiimote+Nunchuk: you held B and tapped the control stick.  Oddly enough, B on the Wiimote actually served as a cruise control - once held, Sonic would run straight forward at top speed.  Now that I'm used to it, I think it's a useful mechanic that could work in future games.

I don't know what you mean by "slides too much" but I prefer him not turning much when running that fast.  It's easier to not fly off a cliff that way...

Wii has maps, not hubs.  Yay.  Conversation is pointless (particularly the fact that every time you have a decision, the correct response is ALWAYS the first of the two) but can be skipped quickly.  Oh, and missions are NOT NPC generated.

All Sun/Moon medals are awared at the completion of the mission, and awarded by rank/success.  S-ranks for night levels are absurdly easy if you know what you're doing (I typically get them on the second or third run of the level, given that the first run I spent 10+ minutes on each looking for items).  Item boxes, however, are scattered throughout the levels, but there aren't many of them and they're usually found in shortcuts and hideaways.  Having a map in the night levels helps too.

Crimson Carnival didn't seem to have any glaring glitches that I was aware of.  I still hate whichever SEGA employee came up with the idea of that one path that slopes left and right - it should not be something I'm likely to die on at all, yet have died on 20+ times by now.

Ledges and handles are best done as Paraxade said, and I think this holds for both versions.  My method of choice is pressing and holding the grab button (B for Wiimote, X for Gamecube) and using the jump button (always A) to let go of an object.  The instant a ledge is targeted, Sonic will grab it.  Even better - this way often is very forgiving; let go of a pole too soon and you actually have a very good chance of grabbing it again.

Extra missions aren't often all that repetitive, but IIRC there's a lot fewer of them on the Wii version.  There are also some real gems in these; the Spagonia time trial mission was a real surprise.  Though I really wonder why they didn't just use that mission as the primary mission....
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Parax

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:45:01 pm »
At least it's better than S-Ranking every stage and boss! :D

I've actually gotten all S-ranks, but I still haven't wanted to go through and get all the hot dogs. :\

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:49:25 pm »
Bad: unresponsive controls when trying to press the A/B/LB/RB buttons perfectly timed

Only control problems I've had involved trying to jump in Werehog form at some spots.  For some reason, certain spots do not allow you to jump at the very edge (such as jumping the first gap in Holoska's first night level).

Offline Mo

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:45:55 pm »
The camera sometimes decides to glitch up on me on certain day missions and I still don't like how Sega built that dark path that Sonic had to run along before all the boost pads and speed pads on the Wii version of Eggmanland because I couldn't see where to go on the path. I also hated that one path that went up and down on Eggmanland Wii where sonic had to hit all those speed pads and if I usually didn't hit those speed pads sonic would die.   
Shortcuts I have discovered: SSR Skeleton Dome Mission 12 Gate ditch, SA2 Battle: spring dodge.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 10:53:37 pm »
Crimson Carnival didn't seem to have any glaring glitches that I was aware of.  I still hate whichever SEGA employee came up with the idea of that one path that slopes left and right - it should not be something I'm likely to die on at all, yet have died on 20+ times by now.
What is Crimson Carnival? <_<
Hi

Offline Telnaior

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 10:56:41 pm »
The camera sometimes decides to glitch up on me on certain day missions and I still don't like how Sega built that dark path that Sonic had to run along before all the boost pads and speed pads on the Wii version of Eggmanland because I couldn't see where to go on the path. I also hated that one path that went up and down on Eggmanland Wii where sonic had to hit all those speed pads and if I usually didn't hit those speed pads sonic would die.   

Eggmanland is supposed to be hard. I didn't find it all that difficult after my 5th or so runthrough. Also, my main complaint about Unleashed Wii is that it's too short :(

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 10:58:07 pm »
It was a good game, but absolutely nowhere near great. I think Sonic should be sold to Nintendo because SEGA doesn't know how to make great games.

In comparison, Sonic 2006 was like having sex with tub girl while Sonic Unleashed was like performing cunnilingus while being randomly peed on once an hour, kinda like "What was that for???? Don't surprise me with that crap!" Score-wise, I would give Sonic 2006 a 4/10 while I would give Sonic Unleashed a 7/10.

to the former: Uh... when did Nintendo ever make good games?

to the latter: That is a very bizarre statement, in many facets...
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Alondite

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 11:42:41 pm »
Sounds like you need to try the Wii version.  It's lacking the lame hub-worlds (in a sense) and you don't have to hunt for medals, because they are awarded after levels are are used to unlock secrets instead of new levels! On top of that, weresonic levels are a bit quicker-paced, and more platformer-y.

Offline Alondite

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 11:45:16 pm »
It was a good game, but absolutely nowhere near great. I think Sonic should be sold to Nintendo because SEGA doesn't know how to make great games.

Also I apologize for the double post...but this made me lol...Have you ever heard of a little industry revolution that still is a standard for the fundamentals of game design called Super Mario Bros.? I'm sure you have... Also I think there should be some hyphens in there but ah...

Offline Nario

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:22:18 am »

I shall answer your first question by asking a qustion: When did Nintendo ever make bad games? I'll tell you: Super Mario Sunshine,  Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Music. That's three games over the span of twenty years that I consider bad, and I honestly believe every other first-party-developed game is excellent.

And in response to your other comment: Well, I thought it was a warranted analogy. :P

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 09:07:11 am »
Majora's Mask.  *blargh*
Though, to be honest, I think Nintendo's games have gotten so much better over time, that the old ones now seem pretty bad ... until you realize that a lot of the really old Nintendo games weren't really all that great anyways.  As I know Aitamen prefers the 8/16 bit eras, I see where he's coming from.
On the other hand, it's also true that Nintendo has been doing really good lately, so Nario has a point there.  I wouldn't mind it ... until we start seeing the likes of, I dunno, Sonic Soccer, Sonic Baseball, Sonic Tennis ... wait a minute ...
My presssioussss....

Offline Alondite

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 03:53:33 pm »
Majora's Mask is not only one of the best Zeldas, it's also one of the best games on any platform ever. Period.  Oh and Mario Kart Wii is a great game, and far and away the best Mario Kart game.

Offline Nario

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 03:46:53 am »
Majora's Mask is not only one of the best Zeldas, it's also one of the best games on any platform ever. Period.  Oh and Mario Kart Wii is a great game, and far and away the best Mario Kart game.
Agreed on Majora's Mask. Sure, it was confusing, but it was an awesome confusing. I love the sidequests in it so much.

And I think Mario Kart DS is my favorite Mario Kart game, but I don't want to take this thread down a weird road of listing off our favorite such-and-such games. :P

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 12:56:45 pm »
Whelp, Majora's Mask was the only LoZ I've played extensively, and I really didn't care for it ... may be a mark that LoZ just isn't for me.
My presssioussss....

Print

Hits: 197 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.15 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.