don't click here

When did you start playing Sonic?

Print

Author Topic: When did you start playing Sonic?  (Read 10126 times)

Offline fastnaturedude

• Potential for Anything
  • TSC: Cyan Ryan
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
When did you start playing Sonic?
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:37:27 pm »
In second grade I started going to latchkey (sp?). They had a Genesis there, along with Sonic 1-K. I started playing them and figuring out ways to do stuff that nobody else knew. Everyone called me the "Sonic master" (contrary to this). My skills were awesome.

So after a while I asked my dad if he would buy me a Sonic game. At this time I had a GBA. He bought me Sonic Advance. I played it some, but not all that much. The Genesis games were still the best.

Then the GameCube came out. I got it for Christmas, along with SA2:B. 3D Sonic was AMAZING to me (I was like 8 or something). I beat the game in five days.

So later I got Sonic Mega Collection, Advance 2, etc. I loved Sonic! I even stopped watching Dragonball Z for a while (which I was obsessed with back then) to play more Sonic.

The next thing that happened: I got good internet. So I stumbled across this site, signed up for it, and submitted a crapload of stats...You can imagine my reaction when all my efforts to perfect Sonic levels were futile (futile in this case meaning "all blue stats"). I was crushed. However this made me work even harder, especially at SA2B, and look how far I've come! Sure, it's not all that impressive, but better than I ever imagined getting back then.

Sonic Heroes came out. I loved it, unlike most people. The only real drawback to me was Team Rose. I beat it in three days.

...Shadow the Hedgehog came out. I got it for Christmas just a couple of years ago actually. I kind of wtf'd at the whole emo shoot-'em-up Sonic style, but nevertheless I beat it in 6 hours. (not all the endings, just one, Final Haunt still sucks)

I became disinterested in Sonic, playing other stuff like Halo, Guitar Hero, Mario, etc. Actually nothing really inspiring-looking to me came out other than some crappy GBA and DS games (see: Sonic Battle, Sonic Rush).

Sonic '06 came out. I just beat it a month ago. I really did hate it.

Now I have Unleashed and am almost done with the Wii version. Overall I'm content with my Sonic experience, however my current obsession and love of Sonic would have been impossible without TSC.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
Re: When did you start playing Sonic?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:40:56 pm »
I was 5-7 at the Sears department store in our mall.  They had a Genesis kiosk with Sonic 1 (I think it was that multi cart thingy...).  I started playing and I was addicted ever since.  Around that time I could never beat GH :(
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Ring Rush

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:42:25 pm »
I first borrowed SA2B from my friend about 2 months before I joined TSC, so October 2006 iirc. This was the first time I played Sonic.

My first two Sonic games that I owned were both in February 2007 - Heroes and Secret Rings. Heroes is both my first and least played, Secret Rings is my second and most played (besides SA2, but I don't techincally own it, even if I've borrowed it for 2 years).

Next up came SADX sometime in May or June or July or somewhere around there of 2007. Played it a bit, it was a good game, but I never got much into it.

SRA is my only portable sonic game, I got it very soon after it came out and played it quite a bit. That was late 2007.

Finally, I got Sonic Unleashed (Wii) this year and....thats it! Unless you count brawl, but who plays Sonic in that game anyways.
Current Championships: SSR (5/26/08-Now)
Current Leaderships: SSR Chains [0 Point], SC Rings [0 Point], SSR Scores [0 Point], S3D Rings [0 Point], SSR Times, SSR Bosses
Past Leaderships: SA2 Rings, S1GG Rings, SUWii Rings, SBK Times, SBK Chains, SRA Rings, SRA Scores

Offline Luxray

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 01:01:22 am »
Advance 2 on Emulator about 4 years ago.
And i've pretty much played every Sonic game (except Shadow and '06) In the past 4 years.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:26:09 am »
First time was Sonic 2 (GG) back whenever it was released.  I focused on Sonic games more when I played Sonic Heroes in early '05 (we had it for a year but I never played it, it was on the PS2, and it was very scratched).  After that, I was hooked on it.

In '06, I picked up Riders, Rush, Shadow, Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Gems Collection, Advance 3, SADX, and SA2B.  In '07, I got SRA and Sonic06.  This year, all I picked up was Unleashed on the Wii.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:04:18 am »
Dizney Whirled.  'Way back when, Epcot had this thing in one of the pavilions (I forget if it was Communicore back then, or if it was already called Innoventions) that had a bunch of Geneses set up.  Sonic 2 was on one of them.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Donna

• Sonic Deconstructionist
  • TSC: donnashowl
  • winxp chrome
  • Don't give me hOPs unless I earned them!
    • View Profile
    • Donna's Blog - Found the Computer Room
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 08:28:26 pm »
Much like Shadow Jacky, my first time playing Sonic was in a kiosk at a store. I think it was some manner of music/CD/movie store, and it would have been in the Flint area. It was Sonic 1 and I was about 4 or 4 and a half. I just loved it and pestered mom to get me a "Sonic..." but she got an NES instead. :( I picked up the Sonic comics when I was seven and I was so obsessed that mom got me a Genesis with Sonic 2 and Columns, for Christmas and got me Sonic 1 for my birthday the next day. :) I stayed with Sonic games until I was about 12, when I couldn't find the comic anymore, and played on and off until I was about 16...

...When I was 18, I got a Gamecube and Pokemon Colosseum for Christmas and Pokemon Box for my birthday. The following June, after I graduated, I asked my mom if I could get a player's choice/discount game for my Cube as a self-graduation present, since I didn't get to go do something after graduation like my classmates. She said yes. I chose SA2. The rest, as they say, is history.
-Donna, the crazy English major
I don't want your stinking hops!

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 09:18:38 pm »
Your birthday is the day after Christmas?  Weird.  I know more people with birthdays in the two-week period surrounding Christmas than any other time of the year.  Something must have been in the air one March/April....  <_<
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline SonicKnuckles

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:01:25 pm »
Back in the days of me being 6 years old, I was taught by my brother to play Sonic Adventure for the OMG dreamcast, and later Sonic Adventure 2. We had a genesis but it didn't work, so when I played sonic it was 3D. I think that's why I'm more a fan of the 3D than the 2D (go ahead and laugh). When the Game Cube came out I was to poor to afford it, so I had to wait about 2 years. I promtly got SAB2, and SADX, along with Sonic Gems and Sonic Mega Collection. I loved SAB2 and SADX from my childhood, but again wasn't impressed with the old time of SG and SMC.  Then came Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog. I loved Sonic Heroes and set out to beat that, but I could adapt well to StH. It was just too much shooting for me, not like Sonic games much at all. I also proceeded to get and beat Sonice Riders fun and easy. Different too
Finally over the summer of 07' I got a Wii, along with Sonic and Secret Rings, (epic fail as I have come to find out).Sonic Riders 0g was also fun.  And now just for Christmas SU for Wii. I love it and I'm very impressed.
SonicKnuckles is currently playing SA2. Started a new game and only 28 more emblems to go......

Offline DDC20XL

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 01:41:55 am »
Hmm. When i was 4-5, my older brother got a sega genesis and the first game he got was Sonic 2. I liked the cover of the game, it was pretty cool, so i asked my brother if i could play. We used to race all the time, and after getting beat numerous times, i started to win. He then let me play the whole game as tails while he was sonic. After we beat the game he let me play it alone and was amazed to see i could play it better (I got all the emeralds on my first solo playthrough :) ) so he gave it to me; he had NES too so he thought it would be fair to give me a console of my own. I later got S&K (I somehow missed sonic 3 and didn't get it till l8tr...) and loved it. I beat it very quickly w/ sonic, then took my time exploring the stages as knux. Soon after i got S3 and blazed through it, then i discovered its ability to link w/ other sonic games, added to the fact that all these sonic shows started showing up thanks to DICĀ© (they were there b4 but i didn't learn of em' till S&K...) and i was set... that was until the genesis died...

From there on i fed my need for the blu blur w/ archie's comics and movies i had bought, till my dad bought himself a dreamcast.

W/ the dreamcast the first thing he got was a demo disc. On this disc was a demo for SA1. It was pretty good and i rented it and beat it in about 5 days, soon after Sonic Shuffle came out. I bought it played it and didn't mind it just tought the AI was kinda cheap and some of the minigames were too luck based (i had played pretty much every mario party up to this time so i was comparing...). Some where around this time i also got Sonic R for the computer... a forgetable experience, although getting the emeralds and still trying 2 win the race was fun, and i thought metal sonic+knux were awesome secret chars. THEN SA2 came out... This had 2 have been the best sonic game i had played since Sonic 3&K. I destoyed this game. Beat it in every way imagineable but was dissapointed at the limited character choices and availible stages for the 2P mode.

Dreamcast faded from mainstream... (although i still have it, it is starting to die on me) and i got a gamecube after brawl came out. That stupid april fools joke got me sucked into sonic again, and i bought Mega Collection and beat it (dissapointed that Sonic CD wasn't there, i still haven't played it to this day...), rented SADX and SA2:B and beat em'. Got a GBSP and Sonic Advance 1, 2, and 3 (liked 2 the most...) and beat them all. After that my only contact w/ sonic (in games anyway...) was through Sonic Advance 3. A bunch of kids on my bus had Gameboy SP and i had this "Spider" connector cord that allowed 4 ppl to connect at the same time so we played "Get the Chao though the rides to school and back. They were'nt too bad so it was chaotic and fun. Also around this time i picked up StH:The Movie, watched some of Sonic X (pales in comparison to older series...) and grabbed a sonic X plushie :)

I got the Wii and the next time i saw the "fastest thing alive" was in SSBB it was (still is...) so much fun playing as him and just seeing him there raised my spirits. I got a DS next along w/ rush which was ok; then later chronicles which was a dissapointment IMO. Then I got Xbox 360 abit after my 18th birthday on Oct. 1st and waited patiently for Sonic Unleashed, was early to the store and beat it, pleasantly i might add, in a week. It has to be the best game i've played since S3&K yet only SLIGHTLY better than SA2:B...

Currently I run Skyscraper Scamperer like a madman, trying to beat the top records. :D

As an extra note: I also found Sonic Mega Collection Plus at a friend's pad and borrowed it. At some point i gotta blow the dust off my PS2 and try that game out... :)

Offline Cutiefox

• Almost acing it...
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista firefox
  • I WILL A-KNOCK YOU OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:19:38 am »
When I was something like 6 or 7, my brother found SA2B at a store. At the time I was so surprised, because I only knew Sonic as a cartoon character [AoStH].
I then proceeded to become a big Sonic nerd.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 11:55:05 am »
Technically, my first sonic game was a PC verison of the Genesis version of Sonic 3D blast. I got it as part of a Kid's meal at a Jack-in-the-box (i was like, 4 then, or something). I didn't really like it, so I never got to the 2nd zone. (not due to lack of skill)

then I got SA2:B with my gamecube (I wanted Melee, didn't get it for like, another 2 years...) and I've been hooked ever since. then I got SA:DX, then I out of the blue got my friend Sonic Mega Collection, since he has SA2:B himself and might like it, but he moved away before I could give it to him. So I played it, and I was blown away by how fun these games were, then I looked up more sonic games... and that's how I because such a big sonic fan.

Offline Eis Makai

• The Icy Coyote
  • TSC: Iceman
  • winvista msie7
  • An icy coyote! Or is it ;)
    • View Profile
    • www.lavadomefive.com/forum
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 10:05:30 am »
In first grade, I had Genesis at that time, I only had Sonic 3. but I then got a Game Boy Advance when I was 10, and i got all 3 sonic advances with that, and SA2B on my 16th birthday,
Eis Makai is the Icy Coyote. Sumaru Star is the Ice Dragon. I own the Ice Planet!

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 02:08:53 pm »
Hmm when did i start playing? I think it was on the sega megadrive when i was 3 (1998, Yes im 13 but a huge sonic fan). So from then on i carried on playing the classics, Then i got a dreamcast. Had SA and SA2. I must say it was hard for me then because i was only 5. Then I got the gamecube and owned SA2B and ive almost finished with SADX. Then i got HEroes and pwned that game too. Next up was sonic 06 (Seriously that was the last game i bought since heroes.. And i didnt get 06 till octobrer 2008!!. So i pwned that TOO.
Next is sonic unleashed... Meh im doing well =] Only 20-odd more medals and a few s ranks till im done =]

SonicTheWerehog, STW

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline Phantom the Hedgehog

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 10:34:20 pm »
I starteD playin' Sonic WAY back then when I was like 5 I got into ViDeo Games,then I got a Sonic Game for my birthaDay(I think it was sonic ADventure 2)so my Sonic Gaming live soareD on from there,ahhhh..... gooD times

Click here to level up my license!

Cheesy Sidelines will be mine! >:D

Offline Nario

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 04:36:08 am »
I was about 7 years old when I started playing the Sonic games. Since then, I've beaten all of them except for Sonic CD, and the 32x/Saturn/GameGear titles.

Print

Hits: 252 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.20 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.