don't click here

ITT TSC learns to Cook!

Print

Author Topic: ITT TSC learns to Cook!  (Read 27790 times)

Offline flyby

• Lurker in the Shadows~
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • Livin' the dream~
    • View Profile
ITT TSC learns to Cook!
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:38:19 pm »
I was making something today, and it is fairly easy, and uber tasty. SJ had mentioned wanting to learn to cook, and so did soniham. So...I may occasionally post things I have made in here, with pictures and recipes, and any tips desired.

So for our first recipe-- Petite Pasta Salad

serves 4 to 6

One 7 oz. package tiny pasta stars or alphabet shapes
1 cup frozen corn
8 oz. sugar snap or snow peas, cut into bite-size pieces
One cucumber, peeled or not as desire, cut into bite-size pieces
One tomato, seeded and diced
½ a red or orange bell pepper, diced
One 2.25 oz. can sliced black olives, rinsed and drained
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, to taste (the smaller amount of vinegar may appeal more to children with sensitive palates) 
1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
Salt and white pepper, to taste

Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until just barely tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. During the last minute, add the frozen corn and chopped sugar snap or snow peas.

Drain the pasta, corn, and peas and rinse well with cold running water. Drain. 

In a large mixing bowl, toss the pasta, corn, and peas with the rest of the vegetables and fresh herbs.

In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, vinegars, salt, and white pepper. Pour over the pasta salad and toss together until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings according to taste.

Okay!!

So like, there are things that are changeable in recipes, and things that aren't. This recipe is pretty forgiving. Like you will want pasta, some sort of oil, and some kind of vinegar, and then some assortment of veggies. So for this recipe, I use it more as a guideline. (With baking, it is much more important to be exact with stuff).

I like to use Orzo pasta instead of Stars or Alphabets. I've used both red wine vinegar and basalmic vinegar making this. I never put olives in, because I don't like them. Today I tried putting the basil and cilantro in, though I am not sure I don't like it better without.

Oh, also - any questions about how to cook pasta? I assume that would be the only thing really not known about making this. As like, cutting veggies and mixing should be fairly obvious, I think?

Also if anyone has any requests for things for me to teach to make, I will try making them or whatever. Though all meat things, and some other things will have to wait a month or two until I am gone from Texas. If anyone tries making it, tell me!
:)

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
Re: ITT TSC learns to Cook!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:44:01 pm »
I tried pasta salad before and I didn't like it much.  It was either too salty or all I could taste was whatever dressing they had put on.  This certainly looks different however so maybe I'll give it another shot.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline flyby

• Lurker in the Shadows~
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • Livin' the dream~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:53:25 pm »
Yeah, this has just a little oil/vinegar dressing. I tried it, because I thought Rolk would like it as it doesn't have mayo or whatever. It is one of the best pasta salads I have had, really. Oh...I should so put my dad's potato salad up here. But that will have to wait for later, as it requires mayo and eggs and non-Texas things.  :((

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 01:41:26 pm »
What? Rolken doesn't like mayo? D:
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline flyby

• Lurker in the Shadows~
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • Livin' the dream~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 04:55:12 pm »
No. It's some weird you know, eating no eggs growing up thing. He also hates pretty much anything white for food, except cheese.

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 05:56:33 pm »
Oh well. It's a conscience problem, not a taste problem. Fine then. :D
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:40:09 pm »
I can totally relate to Rolk in the not liking mayo thing.

But I eat white stuff. Ranch is one of my favorite toppings and I use it on stuff normal people would use mayo on.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline flyby

• Lurker in the Shadows~
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • Livin' the dream~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:19:58 pm »
Tonight's Dinner! Um...Well it doesn't really have a name, maybe Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce?

This was my first time trying this, and it was simple, and sooo yummy. (Also I know the picture does not look all that nice. It looked nicer before I mixed the sauce in, but I forgot to take a picture before that.)

Peel and remove the seeds from a/many butternut squash(es). (I would say that one squash probably serves about 2 if you really like sauce, three for lighter sauce eaters). For peeling them I just use a normal peeler, and keep peeling until it is mostly darker orange and the lighter orange stuff is all gone. For cutting a butternut squash in the first place, you want to use the strongest knife that you have, or a cleaver if you have one. If all you have are crappy knives, it is probably going to take quite some effort to cut it, so you will probably want to peel it first.

Once it is peeled and seeded, just cut it into cubes (about 1-2"). Put your cubes in boiling water, and boil it for 8-10 minutes. Stick a fork in and when it feels like it is really tender, that's the time its done. If you can't really tell, just make sure it is boiling for a full 10 minutes, and it should be done. Drain the water. Put the squash back in the pan. Put in ~2Tb butter for each squash you used. Then depending on how much garlic you like, add garlic. I highly recommend fresh garlic (tutorial on cutting it to follow), but if all you have is dehydrated, that's fine. The stuff you buy in the bottles for the fridge is good too. If you are not a big garlic person, I'd do maybe 1 clove for each squash, or 1/2 tsp dehydrated. If you like garlic, well just add it in to how much you like. Return the pan to the stove and put it on medium heat. Stir it with a fork (or whisk if you have one) and just keep kinda mashing the squash, and mixing it, until all the butter is melted. Add salt as desired. If you have some parmesean cheese, throw some of that in.

Serve on spaghetti (vermicelli, angel hair, whatever kind of stringy pasta you like). It is yummy.

Variations:
-Add 1 tsp. of sage to the sauce for each squash
-Add 1/4 c. of ricotta cheese for each squash
-Chop up some fresh basil and use as a garnish

Garlic Tutorial

Ok, so when you buy fresh garlic, what you are buying is a bulb of garlic. (I used to wonder if each of those things was what was a clove - it is NOT). In a bulb of garlic there are many many cloves. When you want to use some, start pulling off the white skin outside, until you come to a little bumpy part that comes off with it. That little thing is what the clove is. There will be a pointy end. and a flatter end. Cut off maybe 2-3mm of the flat end. You will see the skin of the clove. Pull that off. You have a clove.

To use it, first smash it with the side of your knife, and then just cut it until it is in really small pieces (mincing). And that is how you use garlic!

So...any questions about tonight's episode of: TSC learns to cook?

Offline flyby

• Lurker in the Shadows~
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • Livin' the dream~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 07:07:52 pm »
Yay! Glad you tried it and like it! Also I have pictures for a pot pie recipe that is really yummy, though I forgot to take a picture of the final product, but I will put that up sometime. I keep meaning to.

Offline flyby

• Lurker in the Shadows~
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • Livin' the dream~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 10:39:57 pm »
I am tired. I will revive this topic when I am back in Utah. Then you can learn how to cook. For now, you get to starve! (Or live on TV Dinners >_>)

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:38:07 pm »
Or mooch off your parents because you still live at home! <_< >_>
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline flyby

• Lurker in the Shadows~
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • Livin' the dream~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 02:43:22 pm »
That's an option too, I suppose.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 04:51:14 am »
1 Lb.  cream cheese (16 oz.)
2 Lg. Eggs
1 cup powdered or granulated sugar (more or less to taste)
1 tablespoon vanilla (more or less to taste)
dash of cinnamon
Crust (Oreo preferred for us)
Chocolate Syrup (hershey's)

Soften the cream cheese and mix the cream cheese and eggs in a bowl until smooth (no lumps).  (Egg beater, if you have one... but I don't...)
Mix in vanilla and sugar to taste, then mix in cinnamon.
Mix in chocolate syrup to taste.
Pour mixture into pie crust.
Put chocolate onto the top of the pie, then use a skewer to create designs (In my case, a buzzsaw/sun)

Cook @ 350F (gas 4/180C) for 25 mins or until skewer inserted can be removed clean.

Cool and enjoy ^_^

the splitting where the chocolate syrup lies on the top of the crust is normal due to differences in heat, so don't worry, you didn't screw it up ^_^
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline flyby

• Lurker in the Shadows~
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • Livin' the dream~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »
Looks yummy Aitamen.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 07:05:06 pm »
That looks really good, I might have to try making it one of these days.
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 05:07:28 pm »
I do quite a bit of baking and the peoples I live with tend to enjoy it, so I figure I could post pics of the like here... though next time I'll post them as attatchments so long and annoying post isn't so long and annoying.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 06:01:34 pm »
In time for the holidays.

Home Made Egg Nog.
Ingredients:
1.   6 eggs
2.   1 cup + 1 tablespoon of sugar
3.   ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4.   ¼ teaspoon ground nut meg
5.   2 ½ cups milk
6.   2 ½ cups whipping cream
Directions:
1.   Beat eggs for 2-3 minutes with electric mixer at medium speed.
2.   Gradually beat in sugar, vanilla extract, and nut meg
3.   Heat milk and cream mixture to scalding temperature
4.   Temper (slowly pour in pulses) eggs with milk before mixing the two.
5.   Serve hot or cold.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 01:13:41 pm »
Thread necro because I'm awesome:

BREAKFAST PIZZA!
(Also known as Biscuit and Gravys)

Dough:
2 1/2 c. Flour
1 1/4 c. Water
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Yeast
3 Tbsp Veggie Oil

Toppings:
1 Lb Pork Sausage (Ground)
1 1/2 c. Milk
3/4 c. Flour

Preheat oven to 425F/220C/Gas 7

Fry the sausage, making sure none of it is pink or otherwise uncooked.  Take half the meat out of the pan and set it aside.  Let the other half soak up the grease. ^_^

Mix together the ingredients for the dough and knead the dough, adding flour until it stops sticking to surfaces.

Grease/butter a cookie sheet or pizza pan, put the dough in the middle of the pan and press outwards, until you cover said pan.  If you're using a cookie sheet instead of a pizza pan, you can choose whether to make it round, in the middle, or to cover the whole thing: This dough cooks well either way.

Take the meat you set aside and press it into the dough, covering the dough evenly.

To prepare the gravy, stir in equal amounts of milk to the grease/meat still in the pan.  Stir in flour, bit by bit, to thicken. 

Put pizza in the oven for 10 minutes, pull it out, coat with a layer of the gravy (about 3/4 of it), while staying away from the edges (It'll overcook).  Put the pizza back in for another 5 minutes, pull it out, and use the gravy to cover any spots lacking gravy.

Remove from oven, allow to cool.  Cut, serve, and enjoy. ^_^

I would post pictures, but I have no camera... if someone is brave enough to try this, please post a picture of yours.

I hope you guys enjoy it.  This is a fairly cheap meal (it serves 2-3, or so), so it's perfect for this kind of time!

Offline oldskoolgamer101

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 12:15:18 am »
This afternoon I nuked a sausage roll in the microwave. Chucked a bit of sauce on it and Bob's your uncle.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 12:19:31 am »
This afternoon I nuked a sausage roll in the microwave. Chucked a bit of sauce on it and Bob's your uncle.

What?  You bobbed on my uncle?

Dude... come on... have you NO taste in SOs?

More importantly, I now have a picture of the pizza in question!

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 12:22:49 am »
I am going to provide a simple recipe for a delicious drinking sensation which I have dubbed "Toffee".

Ingredients:
A tea bag
Milk and sugar if preferred
Hot water
Coffee food flavouring

Science:
Simply make your cup of tea as normal, then apply some coffee food flavouring. Voila, instant toffee! Adding more coffee flavouring makes your toffee stronger, just a warning!
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 07:19:53 pm »
ITS THAT TIME AGAIN

I call this recipe

"Fucking awesome cookie holy shit you must try this god damn. fuck."

YOU WILL NEED

An oven. Preheated to 190C.
Two measurings jugs.
Two packets of instant cookie mix. (They can be chocolate chip or anything, I used 2 packets of white chocolate chip for mne.)
Chocolate chips. (Yes, even if you have chocolate chip cookie mix.
Jelly diamonds.
Hundreds and Thousands.
Optional food colouring. (Different colours preferred)
Balls of fucking steel.

SCIENCE:

Make the two cookie mix kits in the separate jugs. Optionally colour. Now.

Ignore the cookie mix instructions telling you to make 8 or 10 or whatever cookies. Make on giant fuckng cookie in the middle of the tray.

Sprinkle chocolate chips and jelly diamonds onto it.

Now slap the other cookie mix all over the top of that. Aim to cover the "base".

Apply liberal amounts of hundreds and thousands to the top.

Bake for as long as the packet tells you to. Ignore the fact that you will need to cook it longer for the insides to cook properly.

After 10 minutes receive your baked win.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline HolyGGirl

• TSC: HolyG
  • winvista safari
  • got Jesus?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 10:30:11 pm »
I do quite a bit of baking and the peoples I live with tend to enjoy it, so I figure I could post pics of the like here... though next time I'll post them as attatchments so long and annoying post isn't so long and annoying.

nice dish.  I like to bake too...cupcakes mostly....mmmmm
Lol...SMILE!!! yay! finally in the green for Rush! :D

Offline Koshibou

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 03:23:52 am »
So I felt like making bread today and with flyby's guidance, actually got around to making some :o I got some pics of my results. I can't wait to eat them >_<

Offline Koshibou

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 06:04:45 am »
So flyby, I made that 'petite pasta salad' for dinner tonight. Though to be honest I didn't follow what you set very well and was very much a guideline.

I cooked the corn separate to the pasta and just in a fry pan. I think it keeps the corn more crisp and juicy that way and I like the crunch of it when it's only just been cooked a little bit. I also didn't follow measurements for the oils and just mixed them, tasting it to see what I should add more of and also added some pineapple juice from a can of opened pineapple in the fridge.

Eh, here's a pic of it anyways X)

Also, my siblings didn't seem to like it. But they're very much junk food-a-holics and don't appreciate fresh foods like I do :P So more for me :D I think it tastes great~

Offline HolyGGirl

• TSC: HolyG
  • winvista safari
  • got Jesus?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 02:11:34 pm »
It looks wonderful! I want to try it!
Lol...SMILE!!! yay! finally in the green for Rush! :D

Print

Hits: 1,092 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.22 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.