don't click here

CONFIRMED: Sonic Unleashed a return to form

Print

Author Topic: CONFIRMED: Sonic Unleashed a return to form  (Read 17039 times)

Offline Rolken

CONFIRMED: Sonic Unleashed a return to form
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:27:14 pm »
There's a new Unleashed preview up on IGN (bear with me), and it's not pretty. They have no issue with the level design or the 2D/3D schizophrenia, but the game failed in the one most cripplingly objective measurement of suck: the frame rate. According to them, the 360 version strives for 30fps in the day levels but more normally ends up batting 15-20, while the night levels struggle to score double digits. If these issues end up making their way to the final product, and I don't see much reason to believe that they won't, then SEGA is delivering us a busted game, I won't be buying it and neither should you.

edit: SJ said it mockingly, but it's worth pointing out that the Wii/PS2 build is completely separate from the 360/PS3 build on display here, so it may or may not be affected by the same problems. (edit: but I'm not holding my breath)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:02:40 am by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: CONFIRMED: Sonic Unleashed a return to form
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 02:42:33 pm »
I would say to wait to see if the framerate issues are fixed on release date, but with what we saw for S1GBA at 95%, the framerate might be shit in the finished product.  I might actually pass this up like I did that disaster if that's the case.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 02:45:06 pm »
Same as at E3 then, when they said it would be fixed before the release. I didn't completely believe them then either.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:04:07 pm »
*in b4 "but that's not the wii/ps2 version"*

>_>

*explodes*
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:08:51 pm »
They are eventually releasing a demo before release; I'm still going to withhold judgement until I get my hands on that.

Offline X-5

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:13:38 pm »
If they release this game with an unbearable frame rate I will personally see to it that their game making license is terminated permanently.

Offline Kagemaru

• SonicFan's Brother! And clearly better than him!
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp msie6
  • Get Out of my Dojo! I have a ban hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 08:05:50 pm »
I'm hoping this game is fixed. Unlike SonictheHedgehogGBA, and Sonic 06' which a problem of their own. Every Sonic game that has been released, had a problem or 2. Just look at them all, u'll see what I mean.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:41:57 pm »
Id be getting it for free so Ill get it anyway

I can tell you guys how much of a train wreck it is!
Did you not think I had a mind?

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 08:46:48 am »
How in the heck does one get it in their skull to design a platform game for a known constant of system and not make sure the framerate is passable ...

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 11:10:54 am »
How in the heck does one get it in their skull to design a platform game for a known constant of system and not make sure the framerate is passable ...
Premature optimization is a terrible thing in software.  You shouldn't just ignore it or deliberately do things badly performance-wise, but it's easier to get something working then refactor for performance than design something with excellent performance that doesn't actually do the job (also you might find it's not necessary).  That said, Sonic Team have a history of ignoring the second bit, so I don't hold out that much hope that these issues will be gone on release.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline UnMi

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 12:54:15 am »
I personally wouldn't judge things basing on FPS-problems right now, specially when it's not the final product we are talking about.
Sure, that would ruin the game, but it has an chance of being fixed, in contrast to the aweful gameplay idea with the Werehedgehog (or whatever they called it...).
That "innovative idea" IS final, and this alone ruins the whole image of Sonic, even more than the picture where he holds a sword imo...

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:18:26 pm »
Yeah, except they won't fix the fps. Pretty much every 3D Sonic game has had some flaw of which people said "This'll be good if they can fix this one flaw". Without exception, they never did. And, I quote from the IGN article:

But if the game's this far along and coming very close to its end of year release without the company even acknowledging the choppiness -- not even to say "Yeah, we're still working on it" when it happens during the demo -- you begin to worry.

So, yeah, it won't be fixed. And I will go on record as saying that, if it is, I will go out, buy a hat, cook it, and eat it. With video proof if possible.

Offline MechaAshura

• Can't use any of the xm#smps worth... you know
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie7
  • Whee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 02:23:45 am »
Yeah, except they won't fix the fps. Pretty much every 3D Sonic game has had some flaw of which people said "This'll be good if they can fix this one flaw". Without exception, they never did. And, I quote from the IGN article:

But if the game's this far along and coming very close to its end of year release without the company even acknowledging the choppiness -- not even to say "Yeah, we're still working on it" when it happens during the demo -- you begin to worry.

So, yeah, it won't be fixed. And I will go on record as saying that, if it is, I will go out, buy a hat, cook it, and eat it. With video proof if possible.

and don't forget "post it on youtube"
...sig? what sig?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 10:27:05 am »
Requesting a sig nuke
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 10:48:46 am »
Well, at least he's got one thing right...

Quote from: Lloyd's sig
The #1 way to make it through life
SUCK UP TO THOSE IN AUTHORITY

8)

<3 Thorn.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 10:02:52 am »
What I don't understand is where the complaints are coming from in the first place ... I've seen gameplay videos (read: someone holding a videocamera up to the screen at the demo) and I do NOT see any slowdown.  What gives?  Why is there even all this talk in the first place?
Check these out:
http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/another-off-screen-sonic-unleashed-video
http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/meet-chip
Probably both old, yes, but I don't see a bit of framerate problems.  What gives?
I also know that RAing this is going to be a PAIN.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Kagemaru

• SonicFan's Brother! And clearly better than him!
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp msie6
  • Get Out of my Dojo! I have a ban hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 10:12:43 am »
That first video link was a pain to just watch. With the video quality bad, too many people going through the camera, the video goes slow too. That first stage is long. since there are many different paths to go. So I see RAing will be a huge problem.

Print

Hits: 308 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.19 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.