don't click here

CONFIRMED: Slasher Sonic is return to his roots

Print

Author Topic: CONFIRMED: Slasher Sonic is return to his roots  (Read 19938 times)

Offline Rolken

CONFIRMED: Slasher Sonic is return to his roots
« on: July 21, 2008, 09:05:37 pm »
The Nintendo Power article on Sonic and the Search for SEGA's Sanity is in the wild, and we can confirm that:

"Each stage has multiple branching paths and searching for townsfolk and treasure chests provides an element of exploration that recalls Sonic’s early Genesis days."

Which means that...

Jul 19 18:56:48 <Rolken> also how many hours to the first "returning to his roots" pr quote!?!
Jul 19 18:57:10 <mike89> returning to his roots? with a sword? I don't think even sega PR could spin that far
Jul 19 18:57:12 <Stefan> 48
Jul 21 19:53:38 <Doduo> ”Each stage has multiple branching paths and searching for townsfolk and treasure chests provides an element of exploration that recalls Sonic’s early Genesis days.”

With the final answer clocking in at 48 hours and 56 minutes, Stefan is the winner of the latest TSC contest to determine how much SEGA fails! His prize is a bump in TSC fame and social status and an insertion into SkyL's next fanfic. Give him a round of applause!

edit: Also, to clear up some misunderstanding... we're scheduled to get three primary Sonic games in the next year.

Fall 08 - PS3/360 - Sonic Unleashed on the "Hedgehog Engine"; all the screenshots and videos so far are this version
Fall 08 - PS2/Wii - Unleashed lite, with the same motifs but different level design by Dimps and worse graphics
Spring 09 - Wii - Sonic and the Black Knight, the sequel to Secret Rings with waggle swordplay
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:22:19 pm by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline fastnaturedude

• Potential for Anything
  • TSC: Cyan Ryan
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
Re: CONFIRMED: Slasher Sonic is return to his roots
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:36:34 pm »
what the heck is that "Unleashed Lite" thing?!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:10:37 pm by Kitsune` »

Offline F-Man

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:13:56 am »
Good job Stefan. Good job.

Offline Azure

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:08:42 am »
Stefan in a fanfic?

Written by Skylights?

osnap

And as I recall, there was little swordfighting in the Genesis titles.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:42:14 am »
what the hell is that "Unleashed Lite" thing?!
SEGA's been a bit intentionally vague about their weird Unleashed two-tier plan. To listen to SEGA's PR, it's tailor-made for the Wii, but in reality that probably translates to mapping one action to shaking the remote. It's an entirely different development team. By the looks of it, they're trying to piggyback off the buzz from the PS3/360 version before performing a bait-and-switch. To my knowledge, these screenshots are all we have from the PS2/Wii version.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 12:06:28 pm »
SEGA's been a bit intentionally vague about their weird Unleashed two-tier plan. To listen to SEGA's PR, it's tailor-made for the Wii, but in reality that probably translates to mapping one action to shaking the remote. It's an entirely different development team. By the looks of it, they're trying to piggyback off the buzz from the PS3/360 version before performing a bait-and-switch. To my knowledge, these screenshots are all we have from the PS2/Wii version.
I'd accuse you of being a cynic, except that the fact Lite is for PS2 as well, which clearly means it's not Wii-tailor-made (well, that and me calling people cynical is totally hypocritical >_>).

Sigh.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Cutiefox

• Almost acing it...
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista firefox
  • I WILL A-KNOCK YOU OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:54:34 pm »
*Applauds Stefan*

Offline Azure

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »
Wait... they still make games for PS2?
</fake ignorance>

Offline fastnaturedude

• Potential for Anything
  • TSC: Cyan Ryan
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:20:15 pm »
But that's crap compared to the 360 version. :( Will we have separate charts for each game?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 01:25:41 pm »
But that's crap compared to the 360 version. :( Will we have separate charts for each game?
Given that it looks like the levels and the gameplay will be different, I'm guessing yes.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 11:13:22 pm »

Good job Stephan, and *facepalm* Sega.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 11:49:03 pm »
HOLY....
This was apparently the wrong week to be at summer camp.

-If you help civilian townfolk in need of assistance, you’ll earn points toward knighthood. If you smite one of those civilians, your reputation will take a hit.

-”At the end of each stage, the game tallies your good and not-so-good deeds and updates your rank accordingly.
NO NO DANGIT SEGA NO!!!!  LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES, DANGIT!!!!

But, maybe this means they'll eventually make a cowboy one?  I've always been hoping for a wild west level, but an entire game may be odd....

And, look up Off Kilter for music.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Azure

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 07:58:29 pm »
I guess we'll just have to wait and see if a Sonic game can be good when your character's weilding a sword.

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 01:20:27 am »
.....Aren't they still working on Unleashed?!?! So does that mean Sega is working on two Sonic games at once?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:20:10 am »
.....Aren't they still working on Unleashed?!?! So does that mean Sega is working on two Sonic games at once?
You've got Unleased for PS360 and Black Knight which appear to be in-house at Sonic Team, Unleashed for Wii/PS2 which is a joint Sonic Team/Dimps effort, and Chronicles, which is Bioware but I'd imagine there's some sort of input from Sonic Team.  So yeah, lot on their plates at the moment.

Offline Azure

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 08:35:58 am »
You've got Unleased for PS360 and Black Knight which appear to be in-house at Sonic Team, Unleashed for Wii/PS2 which is a joint Sonic Team/Dimps effort, and Chronicles, which is Bioware but I'd imagine there's some sort of input from Sonic Team.  So yeah, lot on their plates at the moment.

WHY DOESN'T SEGA STOP MAKING ALL THESE EFFIN' GAMES AND CONCENTRATE ON MAKING A SINGLE GOOD ONE.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 09:05:10 am »
Seriously, caps lock abuse is really unpleasant for the eyes.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 09:10:02 am »

WHY DOESN'T SEGA STOP MAKING ALL THESE EFFIN' GAMES AND CONCENTRATE ON MAKING A SINGLE GOOD ONE.
Because they're incapable of quality so have to try the quantity approach?

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 02:50:22 pm »
"If we just make a lot of games at once, the chance of one actually turning out good must be bigger, right?"
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Azure

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 08:02:57 pm »

Because they're incapable of quality so have to try the quantity approach?

Quote from: P.P.A.
"If we just make a lot of games at once, the chance of one actually turning out good must be bigger, right?"

Sigh. It's true, I admit. SEGA has become just downright dumb.

SSSAAAAVVVEEEE UUSSSSS

Print

Hits: 375 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.18 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.