don't click here

Sonic & The Black Knight. Wait, what?!

Print

Author Topic: Sonic & The Black Knight. Wait, what?!  (Read 24799 times)

Offline P.P.A.

Sonic & The Black Knight. Wait, what?!
« on: July 19, 2008, 04:42:37 pm »

What.

WHAT.

I have to say while that render does look badass, giving Sonic a weapon of whatever kind is so damn out of character it's not even funny anymore. HE'S NATURE. HE FIGHTS WITH ONLY HIS BODY. DAMMIT.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 04:59:57 pm by P.P.A. »
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
Re: Sonic & The Black Knight. Wait, what?!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 06:09:33 pm »
actually, him with that sword and if they can pull off some good fighting mechanics (which hopefully Unleashed does), I would play this game >_>

but still, what's with Sonic Team trying out these different out of the ordinary settings for Sonic on the Wii?
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 06:12:35 pm »
this is obviously a sequel to sonic and the secret rings

but yeah i have no clue what to think of this until i see some gameplay material

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 06:26:20 pm »
This is a joke.

Right?

Offline Cream147

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:29:20 pm »
Someone is good with Photoshop...yes, this is wishful thinking.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 06:31:04 pm »
I have to say while that render does look badass, giving Sonic a weapon of whatever kind is so damn out of character it's not even funny anymore. HE'S NATURE. HE FIGHTS WITH ONLY HIS BODY. DAMMIT.
itt PPA is overly concerned with Sonic's body
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline OmegaDJ

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 07:02:54 pm »
Definitely a SATSR sequel like SkyLights said. Perhaps, the villain is a wizard (like Erazor only he's a genie).

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 07:37:46 pm »
Wait, why do we believe this is real when Retro was the only source to post it, the poster didn't provide the article itself, and it's uncorroborated?

Color me skeptical.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 08:21:41 pm »
Skeptics about this games existence? More like people praying they live in an alternate reality where this game doesn't exist.

Also, I imagine the villain of this game would be a knight as opposed to a wizard given the fact that the only information we have is that 1. Sonic is holding a fine piece of kitchen cutlery there and 2. the name of the game implies a black knight. If anything, the book Sonic gets lost in is Sonic gets lost in turns out to be the script of Monty Python & the Holy Grail.

Offline Azure

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:36:18 pm »
Holy. Freaking. Crap.

I have no clue how else badly this next game can be ruined.

Not to mention how much holding a sword will slow him down...

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 03:21:14 am »
No tellin' but you never know until you try it. Don't go judging things you haven't tried.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 04:23:28 am »
Rolk threatened to kill me if there's no info on this game today, so I made some up so that my life may be spared. Consider this the beginning of the game.

---

On a fine Saturday afternoon, Sonic laid lounging in his materfully upholstered armchair of highly esteemed calibur as usual inside his mansion, because we all know Sonic the Hedgehog is the type to sit around inside a house all day and night and not move. Books were strewn all about the study; one in particular lay chained on the top of the coffee table next to him, the word “Arabian” just barely readable under the locked chains. The key swung around and around Sonic's fingertip as he wondered what the heck he was going to do in the next five minutes – perhaps stay sitting there comfortably, run to the store because he needs tissues, call his employer about delivering their next greatest product to the gullible world, ask Tails and Knuckles if they still remember their names, play with Eggman's toys, write a check to the kind security guards for keeping Amy, Shadow, and Cream locked up for a whole game...

Suddenly, a gust of wind blew through the blatantly open window with force. The bookcovers on many stray books fluttered, but only one opened up. When the cardboard cover revealed the thin paper pages beneath it, the book spoke forth to Sonic.

“...brave knight...” it muttered, in an overly mystic and ghostly undertone.

Sonic looked up and stared at the talking book for a moment, and uttered an exxagerated “ugh,” recalling what happened the last time a book talked to him. He rested his head against the palm of his hand in disappointment that his adventures into the vast array of old literature was not over yet, glaring at the chained-up book next to him.

“...we require your chivalry, noble blue one...”

“Can't I catch a break for once? I've been sucked into a different book, an alternate dimension, a really horrendous plotline that I am so glad I can't remember, not to mention this tubby italian guy keeps asking me to his parties now...”

“...come...”

Sonic sighed. “Fine, fine. How do I get into your book this time? I doubt you have a magic carpet.”

“...say the word, 'ni'...”

“...Ni?” Confused, Sonic leaned forward a bit towards the book in curiousity. The response was immediate however; the book flittered its pages rapidly, light began eroding into Sonic's sight, and suddenly, Sonic found himself lost in a brand new book.

As Sonic's eyes were starting to focus, the first thing he was able to take into account was actually the smell. Clearly, someone around here was either riding horses or not showering, or perhaps both. His vision began to materialize, and Sonic found himself in a stone-floored room with a large, round table; around it were seated a large number empty seats and some zealous knights, each with their own trusty sword visibly sheathed. The familiar voice called to him again, without the overly mystic and ghostly undertone.

“Welcome to the Knights of the Round Table, noble blue one.”

The voice belonged to a man who, in a nutshell, looked like the stereotypical King Arthur.

“My name is King Arthur.”

“..”

“Will you hear our plea?”

“...Sure thing. What's going on?”

“In our fair Camelot, we Knights of the Round Table are dedicated to our ways of chivalry and honor. The stories that make up our world are not only important to the well being of this world, but they provide your world, blue hedgehog, with an example of how to live like a true knight. Recently though... a former Knight of the Round Table has been tearing our stories apart.”

“How?”

“He takes his sword... and shoves it into their gut, silencing them forever!!!”

Sonic gasped. “Brutal!!”

“Actually, he just takes his sword, and he cuts their tongue out!!”

Sonic gasped. “Horrible!!”

“Actually... he just kidnaps them.”

Sonic gasped. “Why am I gasping at that?”

“Oh noble blue hedgehog...”

“Hey, just call me Sonic.”

“Oh noble sonic blue hedgehog...” Sonic hit his face with the palm of his hand. “Will you return our captured knights to our noble round table?”

“No problem, kinglyness. I've got this all under control.”

“Excellent. I must induct you into our order. Please kneel.”

Sonic did as he was asked, and King Arthur stepped forward. He unsheathed his mighty blade and laid it on Sonic's shoulder.

“I dub thee... Sir Blue the Sonic Hedgehog!”

“(I'm Sonic the Hedgehog!!)” Sonic whispered.

“(Oh, okay.)” King Arthur noted. “I dub thee.. Sir Sonic the Hedgehog!”

“That's better. Thanks king! I'll get those knights back here safe and sound in no time at all.”

“Wait. It's dangerous to go alone.” King Arthur said sternly. “Take this.”

King Arthur laid down his sword in front of Sonic and removed the gauntlet on his right hand.

“...I'd love to man, but that thing is like five times the weight of me. How am I going to pick that up?”

“Sir Sonic, this is fiction. You can just pick it up.”

“Oh, okay.” Sonic equipped the gauntlet and King Arthur's mighty claymore.

“Sir Sonic... may your path forward be filled with your noble intentions.”

And so began Sonic the Hedgehog's most random adventure yet.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 04:53:05 am »
Gameplay revealed!

*hold forward through pre-scripted loops*
*run into locked room*
DEFEAT ALL ENEMIES
*hack slash hack slash waggle waggle*
*door opens*
*hold forward and jump a bit over bottomless pits*
*run into locked room*
*hack slash hack slash waggle waggle*
*door opens*
...etc

Offline Stefan

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 11:02:13 am »
No tellin' but you never know until you try it. Don't go judging things you haven't tried.

A great piece of advice that can be advised to everything! Of course, this wisdom applies to new foods and games, but it also clearly applies to everything else this world has to offer! Some of the more drastic examples include homicide, nuclear war, addictive drugs, and the furry fandom (yikes!).

Offline UnMi

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 12:19:58 pm »
Hi, I thought I'd join the funeral too!
Well, I have learned to ignore the existence of the past Sonic games ever since SA2 (2 actually failed also, not just as badly as the "sequals"!). Can't blame Sonic Team though, it's not the same Sonic Team as it was ever since Yuji Naka ditched Sonic Team. The newest game Unleashed would have been a savior, if it only did not have this were-Hedgehog thing...They were trying to show some "innovations" with that, but I totally don't consider it as fitting.
In the end, it's a shame that the new Sonic Team are doing nothing but slander Sonic's name in the past few years...

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 01:14:58 pm »
*looks at picture

*chokes on spit

*walks away briskly

Seriously, if SEGA wants to try a new game genre targeting a new audience, can't they be arsed to just make a new character line-up?
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 03:28:35 pm »
So it's officially a Secret Rings sequel, and is also set in a storybook.

I'm...actually somewhat placated by that fact. Somewhat.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 07:11:20 pm »
Okay, this game is just asking for a snarky comment. Sonic and the Black Knight huh? Yes there's bits that are missing or off, but the (comedic) point is still made.

*Sonic is pretending to ride a horse with Knuckles as his coconut clicking patsy.
-Black Knight: None shall pass.
-Sonic: What.
-BK: None shall pass.
-Sonic: I need to get through.
-BK: Then you shall die.
*They fight, Sonic cuts off his adversarie's left arm.
-BK: Tis a scratch.
-Sonic: A scratch!!! Your arm's off.
-BK: No it isn't.
-Sonic: What's that then?
-BK: Just a flesh wound. Come at me you pansy.
*They fight, the black knight loses his other arm
-Sonic: Look you stupid *censored*, you got no arms left.
-BK: Yes I have.
-Sonic: Look!
-BK: I've had worse.
-Sonic: You liar.
*Black knight starts kicking Sonic.
-BK: Chicken. Chicken. I'll have your leg.
-Sonic: Right. *Chops off a leg, Black Knight hoips to him.*
-BK: Come here.
-Sonic: What are you going to do, bleed on me?
-BK: I'm invincible.
-Sonic: You're a looney. *Chops off other leg.*
-BK: Alright then, we'll call it a draw.
-Sonic: Come patsy.
Sir Sonic finds several brave knights to accompany him such as Sir Tails the Clever, Lady Amy the Pure, Sir Shadow the Brave, Sir Vector the Not Quite So Brave as Sir Shadow, who nearly fought the Dragon of Angor, who nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol, and who had personally wet himself at the battle of baten hill, and the appropriately named Sir Not Appearing in the Game.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 11:06:24 pm »
Nintendo Power article screens and info are up.

http://www.blueblur.org/2008/07/21/sonic-and-the-black-knight-nintendo-power-details/

Nintendo Power Gives a First Look For Sonic and the Black Knight

I’ve received my issue of the Issue #232 September 2008 Nintendo Power with Sonic and the Black Knight as the cover story. Some of the key points that I think should be worth mentioning with direct NP text put in quotes:

-Developed by the same people as Sonic and the Secret Rings
-”This time, a sorceress named Merlina summons Sonic to the mythical realm of King Arthur, but it seems the fabled monarch has somehow been corrupted and now rules the land as the tyranical Black Knight.”
-Uses a similar storybook device as Secret Rings
-”As Sonic runs along, a simple flick of the Wii remote will execute a basic slash, which is enough to dispatch most low-level grunts.”
-More advanced swordplay consists of the ability to thrust, parry, and even pull off a buzz-saw maneuver midjump.
-”During out demo, we saw the hedgehog leap from a high precipice, then thrust the blade into a wall to slow his decent, sparks flying impressivly as steel cut through brick”
-”Combat is integrated in such a way that most of the time you can slice through any who stand in your path without even slowing down”
-Sonic is controlled with the Control Stick.
-”Our hero begins his quest as a mere knave. Only by becoming a full-fledged knight will he have any hope of defeating King Arthur.”
-”his sword, a talking blade named Calibur, serves as a mentor”
-If you help civilian townfolk in need of assistance, you’ll earn points toward knighthood. If you smite one of those civilians, your reputation will take a hit.
-”At the end of each stage, the game tallies your good and not-so-good deeds and updates your rank accordingly.
-You can purchase items from residents. “Sonic can aquire everything from gauntlets to magical tomes to new swords, and when equipped, each article bestows him with a unique benefit.”
-About 200 items in all, with some being able to be combined with others to make new ones.
-You have the option to go online and trade items with friends.
-Rings come in burlap sacks instead of monitors.
-Sonic uses magic elementals to help him do various things, such as a bounce pad or a speed boost. They look like chao heads. The red ones give him a jump and the blue give Sonic a speed boost.
-Sonic can cross large gaps by firing a ballista and grinding the rope to the other side.
-”On the audio side, veteran composer Jen Senoue is taking a smiliar approach, injecting familiar Sonic themes with a Celtic flavor.”
-”Each stage has multiple branching paths and searching for townsfolk and treasure chests provides an element of exploration that recalls Sonic’s early Genesis days.”
-”the camera will occasionally pan to a side-scrolling perspective for a quick dose of classic 2-D action”
-SBK Bringing back the skill system from Secret Rings, but they’re trying not to have the skill system interfere with the game’s tempo this time around.
-The mission structure also returns but the developers hope to make it less arduous.
-”And there will be no dinosaur eggs!”
-”Just as they subbed in for such characters as Ali Baba and Aladdin in Sonic and the Secret Rings, a number of familiar faces will assume Arthurian personas in SBK.”
-”This time, however, some of Sonic’s friends will be playable. Each hero will boast unique abilities, and though the team isn’t ready to divulge the full cast just yet, we do know the identities of two playable comrades: Knuckles, who brandishes two swords at once, and Shadow.”
Playing as these other characters is entirely optional. You will be able to play through game as Sonic, or switch to the other characters if you choose.
-”When people see that Sonic is wielding a sword, they’ll probably have certain expectations of the multiplayer mode. And all I can say is that we’re thinking along those same lines.”
-While the old guages from Secret Rings are gone, a new special guage will “bestow him with similarly impressive powers. The meter fills gradually whenever Sonic vanquishes an enemy or snags a purple elemental, and when it reaches a certain point you can unleash a powerful combination attack capable of tearing through multiple foes in quick succession. You simply press the B button to lock onto the nearest enemy, flick the remote to strike him down, then press B again to move onto the next unfortunate soul. If you chain together enough smitings before the guage is depleted, Sonic will receive a speed burst at the end of the string.”
-”the team behind Sonic and the Black Knight is keenly aware of the franchise’s past missteps, and their enthusiasm for doing right by the series is infections”
Those are some key things I pulled out. If you want more, I suggest you pick up the September 2008 issue. It’s number 232 of Nintendo Power.

”As Sonic runs along, a simple flick of the Wii remote will execute a basic slash, which is enough to dispatch most low-level grunts.”

-”During out demo, we saw the hedgehog leap from a high precipice, then thrust the blade into a wall to slow his decent, sparks flying impressivly as steel cut through brick”

-Sonic uses magic elementals to help him do various things, such as a bounce pad or a speed boost. They look like chao heads. The red ones give him a jump and the blue give Sonic a speed boost.

-Sonic can cross large gaps by firing a ballista and grinding the rope to the other side.

Some important snippets:

-Sonic is controlled with the Control Stick.

-If you help civilian townfolk in need of assistance, you’ll earn points toward knighthood. If you smite one of those civilians, your reputation will take a hit.
-”At the end of each stage, the game tallies your good and not-so-good deeds and updates your rank accordingly.

-You can purchase items from residents. “Sonic can aquire everything from gauntlets to magical tomes to new swords, and when equipped, each article bestows him with a unique benefit.”
-About 200 items in all, with some being able to be combined with others to make new ones.

-You have the option to go online and trade items with friends.

-”On the audio side, veteran composer Jen Senoue is taking a smiliar approach, injecting familiar Sonic themes with a Celtic flavor.”

-”the camera will occasionally pan to a side-scrolling perspective for a quick dose of classic 2-D action”

-SBK Bringing back the skill system from Secret Rings, but they’re trying not to have the skill system interfere with the game’s tempo this time around.

-The mission structure also returns but the developers hope to make it less arduous.

-”Just as they subbed in for such characters as Ali Baba and Aladdin in Sonic and the Secret Rings, a number of familiar faces will assume Arthurian personas in SBK.”

-”This time, however, some of Sonic’s friends will be playable. Each hero will boast unique abilities, and though the team isn’t ready to divulge the full cast just yet, we do know the identities of two playable comrades: Knuckles, who brandishes two swords at once, and Shadow.”
-Playing as these other characters is entirely optional. You will be able to play through game as Sonic, or switch to the other characters if you choose.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:15:58 pm by ChaoRC »

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 06:15:38 am »
FUCK, that actually sounds good.

Offline Pokemonmaster888

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 12:03:13 pm »
That certainly raises my hopes for the game. Hopefully it turns out to be quite good.

Offline Azure

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 06:35:04 pm »
After reading the article, my first impressions about this game were proven wrong. This game looks good. Real good. So good that I'm taking a screen for my profile pic.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 02:11:38 am »
My hopes are raised, it looks like it may very well turn out anywhere from decent to excellent. That picture on the front of Nintendo Power REALLY didn't do the concept justice.
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 05:19:41 am »
You know, instead of slashing by waggling the remote, couldn't he just... roll into enemies?

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 11:28:18 pm »
You know, instead of slashing by waggling the remote, couldn't he just... roll into enemies?

Because upon the many years he's been hitting into enemies in ball form, it eventually lead to a physical problem. It lead him to have a bump on his head and hasen't recovered from it. This makes things like the spindash appearing less often and is the reason why he rarely uses it in the newer games. He has been relying on Homing attack recently as it complicates him less, but it too has received a side effect recently; as seen in Sonic '06 where he has to stop before each bounce.

But the greatest implication this had on Sonic is that it has caused him to not think straight. You have all seen how thoroughly different his behavior has become. Instead of a being one born to triumph over Dr. Eggman's plans because of his mischievous mechanical work, he now claims that he is a "Superhero." This mentality, unfortunately, has made him more fascinated with the human species and now would rather live in more rural environments to further accommodate their needs; as well as giving off catch phrases and lower level form of speech.

This problication has possibly happened to Amy as well, but no further analysis has confirmed otherwise.

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 12:04:37 am »
ChaoRC, you now own the internet for the next six hours.
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline Azure

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 09:59:22 am »
Thunderous applause to ChaoRC.

A few slaps to SEGA. Might help them change their ways.

Print

Hits: 1,276 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.31 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.