don't click here

Sonic Unleashed at E3

Print

Author Topic: Sonic Unleashed at E3  (Read 49244 times)

Offline Rolken

Sonic Unleashed at E3
« on: July 16, 2008, 04:15:23 pm »
Gamespot has a 25 minute video of discussion with a SEGA representative and copious amounts of gameplay demonstration. You can skip the first two minutes if you just want to see the game.

I haven't watched it with sound on, and it's difficult to pass judgment on controls and such with a veteran SEGA rep playing, but the game actually appears to resemble fun. There's plenty of good platforming, Sonic's movement is very clearly not on rails, and unlike previous 3D sonic, all the gameplay is actually under player control. Check it out.

The controls as diagrammed in the video-
A:Jump B:Crouch X:Homing/Boost Bumper:Quickstep

Weresonic has a Vitality bar instead of a ring counter, so rings are treated like health points a-la SA2 mechs. The gameplay looks more like Dynasty Warriors than anything, with Sonic doing lots of weird stretchy arm attacks. The Weresonic stuff starts at 10 minutes in.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:24:17 pm by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Unleashed at E3
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:55:16 pm »
I am Minus the Antiporcupine, and I approve of this video.

Really.  Every naysayer must see this video before continuing.  If you insist, you can still naysay afterwards.  But you need to watch the video before reobtaining that privilege.  kthxbye
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline F-Man

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:16:22 pm »
A great visual treat if nothing else.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:26:23 pm »
Based on the E3 impressions this could be a winner. Quoted straight from gamespot.

Sonic has always been at his best when he's running like his blue tail is on fire, and that surreal sense of speed is on full display in Sonic Unleashed. The game is broken down into daytime and nighttime levels, and longtime fans of the franchise will feel right at home when the sun is up. The nauseating speed is combined with a smart camera that makes sure you never quite outrun its view, making the platforming as fast and stylish as ever. When night falls you'll encounter a pretty different spin on the classic gameplay, but from what we were able to see in a demonstration today, fans of Sonic Adventure should have another capable platformer to look forward to.

The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions are completely different from the Wii and PlayStation 2 builds, and we were just shown the X360 version today. The daylight levels focus on running as fast as possible to the end. While running, you can unleash leaping homing attacks that, if performed correctly, let you dispatch enemies without ever breaking stride. You'll also have to perform quick time events to successful traverse the terrain. Certain jumps require you to quickly press certain button combinations; success means you jump to a higher level while failure pushes you to a lower path.

Rings are more than just your energy this time. By collecting them, you build up your boost bar, which lets you sprint through the levels even faster. You can use this technique to run on the water in certain levels. The camera alternates behind an over-the-shoulder view and a side view reminiscent of classic Sonic the Hedgehog titles.

Visually, Sonic Unleashed is colorful and lush. There is motion blur everywhere, adding to the sense of speed. Unfortunately, in this early build, the game would slow down at times, making some of the sprints and loops look choppy. Hopefully this quirk will be ironed out in the final version.

The twist in this adventure comes in the form of nighttime levels that completely change the traditional gameplay. In these levels, you play as a mutated form of Sonic known as a Werehog. These levels are much slower than the Sonic levels and centered on combat. You have 30 different moves in your arsenal, so battles should offer a lot of variety. Since you can't just quickly dispose of foes as you fly by, you'll find yourself surrounded by evil beings. These resemble the creatures from the Twilight Realm from Zelda, and you can toss them around or just punch them until they give up.

Though the Werehog isn't blessed with insane speed, he does have stretchy arms. You can grab foes from far away or sling your slinky arm up to a ledge if you miss your jump. Because of this ability, these levels are constructed in a more vertical manner than the standard Sonic levels.

Sonic Unleashed does look like a lot of fun for fans eager to fly through vibrant levels again. The Werehog levels are certainly a twist on the classic formula, so it will be interesting to see how they play out in the final game. We'll find out how Sonic deals with his dark side this fall.

-Commentary: For the first time, it looks like a 3D Sonic game will have a competent camera. The marker that indicates what you're going to hit with homing attacks and grabs is a welcome addition. Based on the video, I'd say the werehog fights like a cross between a gorilla and a sloth. The stretchy arms seem out of place but I can understand the thought process behind it as hand to hand combat has always been a problem and the long arms do amend it, so function over form I suppose. The combat has this God of War vibe (without the violent finishers) with his spinning arms getting massive comboes with 30 possible attacks. The day stages feel like SSR done right. This could be game that restores my competitive drive if it turns out as good as the impressions indicate. IGN also has impressions. The major thing that could hurt this game so far is frame rate (has frame rate issues in the speed sections).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:41:37 pm by magnum12 »
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:06:14 pm »
Now, I don't wanna jump the gun or anything, but HOLY F****** S*** I MUST HAVE THIS GAME NOAW!!!!!!

AND SONIC CHRONICLES TOO.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:12:44 pm »
I still naysay...

...at the werehog.  Though it's not as slow as I thought it was.  So it won't be disastrous.

As for the day stages, they look great so far.Just keep centered so you don't miss that rail <_<
Hi

Offline Cutiefox

• Almost acing it...
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista firefox
  • I WILL A-KNOCK YOU OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:27:19 pm »
It looks beautiful!

I'm hoping they don't skimp out on the Wii controls... Zelda: TP style controls might be good.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 02:44:56 am »
hopefully all Dimps is doing is tweaking the levels because I'm tired of this "making it wii ready" BS just to take full advantage of the damn wiimote or some other shit...

I want this game to succeed on BOTH platforms and not one where I'm forced to shell out hundreds for a decent fucking sonic title!  (Sonic06 doesn't exist)

also...shit shit shit shit shit shit SHIT!  (hi PK)
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 05:47:47 am »
Sonic has always been at his best when he's running like his blue tail is on fire,
But only if there were other gameplay elements as well.

The daylight levels focus on running as fast as possible to the end.
Fuck.

Certain jumps require you to quickly press certain button combinations; success means you jump to a higher level while failure pushes you to a lower path.
Alternate routes = good, quick-time events required to access them = :/

Rings are more than just your energy this time. By collecting them, you build up your boost bar, which lets you sprint through the levels even faster.
I don't want this. Sounds like Rush's shitty boost move.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 07:59:30 am »
Sonic has always been at his best when he's running like his blue tail is on fire,
But only if there were other gameplay elements as well.

Watch about 7 minutes in. Platforming.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 08:25:08 am »
... Great Crowbar, now you made me watch the trailer which made me get my hopes up. THANKS FOR THEM JUST BEING SHATTERED ON RELEASE
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:40:50 am by P.P.A. »

Offline Stefan

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 08:32:01 am »
This is great looking ppa; even in the very beginning of the demonstration, there are alternate routes.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 10:43:45 am »
... Great Crowbar, now you made me watch the trailer which made me get my hopes up. THANKS FOR THEM JUST BEING SHATTERED ON RELEASE

I aim to please.

I will, say, however, that I am also not too sure about the QTE thing. We'll see, though.

Offline Azure

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 11:37:08 am »
iT hAS aN aCTUAL cHANCE oF bEING gOOD.
Caps lock off.

Offline Cream147

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 12:07:14 pm »
I hope they don't mess up the Wii version. They've got a separate developer on the Wii version, which worries me. I would rather have the same game as on the Xbox 360/PS3 with watered-down visuals than have some other development team come in and see what gimmicks they can put in to 'take advantage of' the Wii remote. Mario Galaxy controls would be fine, thank you very much.

Other than that, the day stages look great, like how Sonic Rush would be if it were 3d. The night sections look...boring. I hate fighting games, particularly the kind of fighting game where you are just button mashing (that would be 95% of them then). I'm sure the Werehog stages will be acceptable...I hope anyway.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 02:20:50 pm »
I hope they don't mess up the Wii version. They've got a separate developer on the Wii version, which worries me. I would rather have the same game as on the Xbox 360/PS3 with watered-down visuals than have some other development team come in and see what gimmicks they can put in to 'take advantage of' the Wii remote. Mario Galaxy controls would be fine, thank you very much.

Other than that, the day stages look great, like how Sonic Rush would be if it were 3d. The night sections look...boring. I hate fighting games, particularly the kind of fighting game where you are just button mashing (that would be 95% of them then). I'm sure the Werehog stages will be acceptable...I hope anyway.
I absolutely wouldn't want a watered down version, for poor ports are the road to fail.  I want a version tailored to the platform, in the Wii's case to take advantage of the control system.  What worries me is that the Wii title is the same as the PS2 one.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 06:19:30 pm »
Hey guiz, what's small, has stretchy limbs, and carries objects to open new areas?!

link

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 02:51:31 pm »
Hey guiz, what's small, has stretchy limbs, and carries objects to open new areas?!

link

Wasn't Ristar the original idea for Sonic or somesuch? </obvious and/or stupid>
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Cream147

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 03:43:46 pm »
I absolutely wouldn't want a watered down version, for poor ports are the road to fail.  I want a version tailored to the platform, in the Wii's case to take advantage of the control system.  What worries me is that the Wii title is the same as the PS2 one.

I disagree. Watered down doesn't mean poor port. I only meant that the graphics should be watered down. It can't be a perfect port obviously, the Wii isn't capable of it. However, as is the case with most multiplatform games these days, the 360/PS3 get proper, gaming versions of games and the Wii/PS2 get the simplified 'family' versions. I just want the Wii for once to get a proper version of the game, with the same levels, moves, etc. The only difference should be graphics.

As for playing to its strengths, the Wii's control scheme can be a strength, but in many games, it actually makes the game worse than what it would be without motion sensing. Games like Brawl and Mario Galaxy can still be great fun even with limited use of the motion sensing functions. I for one, feel that you use the technology where appropriate. The SEGA representative said it himself about the Sonic RPG game, when asked about the use of a microphone. He said that it didn't really fit in with the game. I don't think that the Wii motion sensing fits in with Sonic Unleashed.

I do wonder whether I've blown it choosing the Wii as my gaming console for this generation sometimes. It's produced some of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time, but the quality games are few and far between. And games which are good on the 360/PS3 get the casual treatment on the Wii. I'm all for games being made for casual gamers like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Music, etc. but when games which should be gamers games turn into games made for casuals, then I am not happy.

Sorry, this post is a bit rambly, but it's just my thoughts at the minute about Sonic Unleashed on the Wii and the Wii in general.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 04:45:41 pm »

I disagree. Watered down doesn't mean poor port. I only meant that the graphics should be watered down. It can't be a perfect port obviously, the Wii isn't capable of it. However, as is the case with most multiplatform games these days, the 360/PS3 get proper, gaming versions of games and the Wii/PS2 get the simplified 'family' versions. I just want the Wii for once to get a proper version of the game, with the same levels, moves, etc. The only difference should be graphics.

As for playing to its strengths, the Wii's control scheme can be a strength, but in many games, it actually makes the game worse than what it would be without motion sensing. Games like Brawl and Mario Galaxy can still be great fun even with limited use of the motion sensing functions. I for one, feel that you use the technology where appropriate. The SEGA representative said it himself about the Sonic RPG game, when asked about the use of a microphone. He said that it didn't really fit in with the game. I don't think that the Wii motion sensing fits in with Sonic Unleashed.

I do wonder whether I've blown it choosing the Wii as my gaming console for this generation sometimes. It's produced some of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time, but the quality games are few and far between. And games which are good on the 360/PS3 get the casual treatment on the Wii. I'm all for games being made for casual gamers like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Music, etc. but when games which should be gamers games turn into games made for casuals, then I am not happy.

Sorry, this post is a bit rambly, but it's just my thoughts at the minute about Sonic Unleashed on the Wii and the Wii in general.
I agree with using the technology as it fits.  My problem is that historically, ports to so-called "lesser" systems have been lower priorities; ie the PS360 version will be focused on and the WiiS2 one will be an afterthought, whereas if the Wii one is it's own game, developed independently, it won't have to worry about priorities since it's its own project; also one should design a project with the platform in mind from the start, which obviously isn't the case with a port.  That's probably badly worded, but hopefully you get the idea.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 05:50:05 pm »
Okay so I watched the whole thing through with sound now.

My impressions, in short, are that they seem to be really trying to go in a good direction with this. The question is, of course, whether they will deliver. However, in general I'm getting a good vibe.

Also the vocals for the theme for the new trailer were dreadful, which is a pity because I rather enjoyed the instrumentals.

Offline Azure

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 06:16:03 pm »

My impressions, in short, are that they seem to be really trying to go in a good direction with this. The question is, of course, whether they will deliver. However, in general I'm getting a good vibe.

Also the vocals for the theme for the new trailer were dreadful, which is a pity because I rather enjoyed the instrumentals.

Have Sonic music vocals ever been good?

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 05:25:28 am »

Sonic R
Sonic Remix (Music CD)
Sonic CD

Offline Azure

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 09:33:41 am »

Sonic R
Sonic Remix (Music CD)
Sonic CD

Sonic R - Have the PC version, which LACKS MUSIC
Sonic Remix (Music CD) - See below
Sonic CD - After listening to the main theme I am instantly hooked on the song. Don't ask why, but it's awesome.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 03:23:57 pm »
Sonic CD Japanese or American? (not that it matters, the opening/ending themes for both are pretty good)

Also I consider the vocals for much of the music from Adventure 1 and 2 to be at least tolerable (with exceptions, for example Tails' SA1 theme). SAWNIC HEEROWZ was where they started really going south for me.

Actually I really liked A New Venture from SRA, too.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 06:34:10 pm »
Hey, I for one really liked both Chosen One and Dreams of an Absolution.  But, I don't like Bowling for Soup AT ALL, so this theme kinda stinks.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 06:46:11 pm »
Yeah, I liked I Am All Of Me for some reason,  and Dreams of an Absolution is indeed awesome, but those are exceptions. Notice how neither had shitty buttrock/surf rock (I'm probably misusing these terms, I really don't know what to call this shit) vocals. Okay, arguably I Am All Of Me had shitty metal vocals, but I'd still class that as a vast improvement.

I really hate the vocal version of His World. Really.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:53:42 pm by Crowbar »

Offline Antronach

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 04:06:17 am »
I really hate the vocal version of His World. Really.
Songs like this make you glad instrumentals are available. :3
Quote from: Emma Lover
Solution? Live with it.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 06:26:23 am »
His World is a pro composition, but vocals completely destroy it. But Dreams of an Absolution is indeed awesome, I agree.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:43:50 pm by P.P.A. »

Offline Azure

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 11:07:58 am »
Dreams of an Absolution? Never heard it.

Print

Hits: 1,373 | Hits This Month: 9 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.38 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.