don't click here

Question About Using Emulators

Print

Author Topic: Question About Using Emulators  (Read 13462 times)

Question About Using Emulators
« on: July 15, 2008, 07:48:26 pm »
I read all the rules about them, but my computer usually makes the games lag to about 80% - 90% speed. Is this alright or should I just not play those games?

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
Re: Question About Using Emulators
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:48:35 pm »
What are the specs of your computer?

Offline Alondite

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:50 pm »
Have you tried adjusting settings in the emulator?

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 11:05:56 pm »

English?

Have you tried adjusting settings in the emulator?

Yes and it doesn't work. My comp is old so that's why it lags.

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 11:08:10 pm »

English?
Specifications, like CPU, RAM, etc.

Offline SonicAD

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 11:13:08 pm »
What the hell are you trying to emulate? I could play Genesis games just fine on my old 66mhz Mac back in the day, one would suspect it wouldn't be a problem now.

EDIT: Considering your entries over the last day or so... you're not trying to emulate DS, are you?

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 11:25:07 pm »

English?
Specifications, like CPU, RAM, etc.

I'll get back to you on that one. All I remember is 6.5GB of storage. Not to mention my computer can't (or barely) handle GMail.

What the hell are you trying to emulate? I could play Genesis games just fine on my old 66mhz Mac back in the day, one would suspect it wouldn't be a problem now.

EDIT: Considering your entries over the last day or so... you're not trying to emulate DS, are you?

Let's just say I only have a GBA emulator and a SNES emulator.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 12:08:36 am »
Rule #6: Unofficial emulators that do not replicate correctly the original gameplay are not allowed.

Offline Cream147

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 06:13:54 am »
Rule #6: Unofficial emulators that do not replicate correctly the original gameplay are not allowed.

But Visual Boy Advance (the emulator I assume he's using) does replicate the original gameplay doesn't it?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 06:51:01 am »

But Visual Boy Advance (the emulator I assume he's using) does replicate the original gameplay doesn't it?
Not if you have slowdown (this begs the question of what happens if you hit a burst of lag, but any time that's happened to me on an older machine it's knackered my run by messing with the timing anyway).

Usually, emulators have a "Frame Skip" or similar option.  Turn that up and you should be able to get to 100% speed.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 07:03:39 am »
I'll get back to you on that one. All I remember is 6.5GB of storage. Not to mention my computer can't (or barely) handle GMail.
Speechless.
That computer needs HELP.  Check your RAM, I have a feeling it's only about 128M.  If GMail is slow, then EVERYTHING should be slow.
And 6.5GB storage?  You mean in your HARD DRIVE?!  Tell me that's space available, not space total.  How old is this thing?!?!
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 10:38:08 am »

Not if you have slowdown (this begs the question of what happens if you hit a burst of lag, but any time that's happened to me on an older machine it's knackered my run by messing with the timing anyway).

Usually, emulators have a "Frame Skip" or similar option.  Turn that up and you should be able to get to 100% speed.

Let's just say the spacebar doesn't make VisualboyAdvance go a thousand times faster. For some reason I can't change the framr rate on any emulator.

Speechless.
That computer needs HELP.  Check your RAM, I have a feeling it's only about 128M.  If GMail is slow, then EVERYTHING should be slow.
And 6.5GB storage?  You mean in your HARD DRIVE?!  Tell me that's space available, not space total.  How old is this thing?!?!

Sadly, 6.5GB = total, not current. This thing is meant for a 98, but just recently updated to XP.

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 08:48:49 pm »
So are you gonna let me use it or should I just not use them.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 09:15:56 pm »
I'll say it again, unofficial emulators that do not replicate correctly the original gameplay are not allowed.
(Trivia: I made that rule :D)

It doesn't play at proper speed on his computer. No need to look further into it. "But only on his!," sure, but that's the point, this is about him only.

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 11:21:26 pm »
I'll say it again, unofficial emulators that do not replicate correctly the original gameplay are not allowed.
(Trivia: I made that rule :D)

It doesn't play at proper speed on his computer. No need to look further into it. "But only on his!," sure, but that's the point, this is about him only.

Well okay then.

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 11:56:17 am »
It seems that Genesis emulation works fine for me. That won't really help since I own Mega Collection, but at least it works.

Print

Hits: 95 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.13 MB | Time: 0.07s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.