don't click here

Your favorite Sonic game on a handheld

Print

Author Topic: Your favorite Sonic game on a handheld  (Read 29092 times)

Offline MrNomad

Your favorite Sonic game on a handheld
« on: April 01, 2008, 05:29:48 pm »
Hello all, it's me again. Been a while since we last got a GBA, but now I'm thinking of getting a DS Lite. That's right, I want a handheld and I want it while they're still making games for it too. So far, I've decided on getting Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure and Bleach:The Blade of Fate. While I wait for the time to get one, lets have a poll. What is your favorite Sonic game on each handheld the franchise has been on, and phones and i pods don't count since they only have sonic 1.

Game Gear: Sonic GG 2

Sega Nomad ( ;) ): Sonic 2

GBA: Sonic Advance 2

DS: Not sure until I play them.

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
Re: Your favorite Sonic game on a handheld
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:23:47 pm »
Game Gear: Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Sega Nomad (<_<): Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles... I can't choose between those three, all are different and awesome. Maybe Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for its amazing speed at the moment it was released and the impact that spin dash had on Sonic games.

Neo Geo Pocket: Sonic Pocket Adventure. That choice needed a lot of thinking...

Game Boy Advance: Sonic Advance

Game Boy Advance SP: Sonic Advance 2

Game Boy Micro: Sonic Advance 3

Nintendo DS Lite: I will tell you when I use it for first time the one I got like two months ago. The first I will play will be Sonic Rush.

PSP: Sega Genesis Collection.

<_<
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:47:23 am »
I got Sonic Rush today and my first impression after 2 1/2 Zones is not so good. :(
The music is like annoying, the graphics very lame and it never slows down! It's a nonstop rollercoaster, filled with the Dimps-typical boost pads, springs, and BOTTOMLESS PITS everywhere. And with added stupid boost move and COOL AERIAL TRICKS. The special stages are nice though.
BUT I SHOULD BEAT IT FIRST BEFORE I COMPLAIN ABOUT IT

Game Gear: Sonic Triple Trouble (not Sonic Chaos because I prefer the Master System version) (also only played STT in Gems and SADX)
Game Boy Advance/SP: Sonic Pinball Party, Sonic Advance
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Upthorn

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:52:01 am »
I got Sonic Rush today and The music is like annoying,
PPA is a lying liar, don't believe his lying liar's lies.
Go not to the linguaphiles for help, for they will say both "Yes" and "No" and "That reminds me of an interesting story about long vowels in Upper Sorbian which I must tell you right now..."

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 08:04:35 am »
People need to stop complaining about bottomless pits in Sonic Rush.

There are annoying pits in like TWO fucking levels (Night Carnival and Altitude Limit). And Water Palace 2 if you count the one at the end. Yes, I will freely admit they are a bit poorly placed, and it's more than there should be, but I can't see how people can judge the whole goddamn gamn on them. And it's really your own damn fault if you die more than twice on one.

And the Super Boost is the best thing to happen to Sonic since the spindash.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 09:04:52 am »
Lolwhat, those pits are almost everywhere where you can't see or expect them. And the Super Boost the the worst thing since the S2 spindash. They should have rather brought the peelout back, that one at least only worked after some charge-up time and while standing still. :/
Also ok I'm through Zone 4 with Sonic now and things don't really get better. What the fuck did the developers think when they included those cart-riding segments in Zone 3?! The first one is extremely annoying and suddenly ends in a bottomless pit (surprise!) and the second one allows for 3D movement in the last part, wtf. Autoscrolling in a Sonic game after Sonic 1 8-bit is a big nono. Also wtf locked rooms with waves of EGGPAWNS to fight, some of which have fucking life bars?
Now the pointless map with the even more pointless dioalogues is not such a major problem, but Tails backing up the already annoying and tedious (yet graphically nice) boss fights with his few but ever repeating, low-quality voice samples ("NICE SONIC "OH NO SONIC") is. SHUT UP YOU FUCKING FOX FAG

Offline Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 09:58:37 am »
Whether a pit is bottomless or not is fairly irrelevant in time attack anyway. Either way you are going to restart your run if you fall down one.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 12:48:09 pm »
Whether a pit is bottomless or not is fairly irrelevant in time attack anyway. Either way you are going to restart your run if you fall down one.
I mean normal gameplay, not time attacking. :/

Offline Alondite

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »
S1GBA....for the lulz.  I don't really like any of the handheld Sonics...unless it was playable on Nomad >_>

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 01:02:28 pm »
Lolwhat, those pits are almost everywhere where you can't see or expect them. And the Super Boost the the worst thing since the S2 spindash.

How so? Care to elaborate?

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 01:17:27 pm »
Lolwhat, those pits are almost everywhere where you can't see or expect them. And the Super Boost the the worst thing since the S2 spindash.

Because it makes the game far too fast. You can dash anywhere on the ground, even while running. And since the whole game and level design is focused solely on speed, it's freaking awful to play. Sure, one of the things fascinating about Sonic games was indeed the speed of some levels. But only because you had to achieve it - with the exception of the obligatory speed Zone (Starlight Zone, Stardust Speedway, Chemical Plant Zone...) the game would not shoot you around at high-speed by abusing speed pads and springs you can access from any side. You had to know the levels, know the game's physics and speedcap, and both spindashes and the peelout required you to stand still to use them which added a very small tactical aspect (less so with the S2 spindash, as you could charge it to full power in a split second). Now you just press X/Y whenever you feel like it and BOOM you go off at full speed without actually having done anything. How unsatisfying! And since they took out like every speedcap ever, you don't even have to care about when to let go of the dpad (diagonal springs in the old games, almost everything in S1, going airborne in SCD) and can just run and run and run. Sure, fast. But also extremely boring and lame. Also since you hit enemies while doing that boost thing, spinning into them or even jumping on them has become totally useless. Same with the spindash which has been obsoleted as well.
tl;dr this move destroys 2 of the most basic elements of Sonic, one trademark move, a lot of depth and a lot fo fun.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:23:39 pm by P.P.A. »

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 01:21:18 pm »

Because it makes the game far too fast. You can dash anywhere on the ground, even while running. And since the whole game and level design is focused solely on speed, it's freaking awful to play. Sure, one of the things fascinating about Sonic games was indded the speed of some levels. But only because you had to achieve it - with the exception of the obligatory speed Zone (Starlight Zone, Stardust Speedway, Chemical Plant Zone...) the game would not shoot you around at highspeed by abusing speed pads and springs you can acess from any side. You has to know the levels, know the game's physics and speedcap, and both spindashes and the peelout required you to stand still to use them which added a very small tactical aspect (less so with the S2 spindash, as you could charge it to full power in a split second). Now you just press X/Y whenever you feel like it and BOOM you go off at full speed without actually having done anything. How unsatisfying! And since they took out like every speedcap ever, you don't even have to care about when to let go of the dpad (diagonal springs in the old games, almost everything in S1, going airborne in SCD) and can just run and run and run. Sure, fast. But also extremely boring and lame. Also since you hit enemies while doing that boost thing, spinning into them or even jumping on them has become totally useless. Same with the spindash which has been obsoleted as well.
tl;dr this move destroys 2 of the most basic elements of Sonic, one trademark move, a lot of depth and a lot fo fun.
Spot on PPA.  Don't get me wrong, I like Rush very much, but basing gameplay elements on so much speed you can't possibly react to upcoming dangers then placing said dangers so as to create some semblance of difficult does not a fun experience make.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 01:32:20 pm »
You must be playing the wrong game then.

Leaf Storm: As I remember, exactly one pit in Act 2, which you'd have to make a conscious effort to fall into.
Water Palace: A few...all but one of which you fly over if you're not trying to die.
Night Carnival: A couple of annoying ones, as stated.
Mirage Road: Has a few pits, but none that you need any effort to avoid.
Huge Crisis: No difficult ones I can remember.
Altitude Limit: Lots of pits and instant deaths, but only one or two are cheap, mostly they're understandable since it's a sky level, and the second last one at that. So it's justified in being hard.
Dead Line: I can remember maybe one that could be considered cheap. Even though it's the last level.

And re: the super boost, it's clear you haven't tried TAing at all as there's ALOT more to achieving maximum speed than just using the super boost. Tactical aspect? The necessity of keeping up your tension gauge while not wasting time hanging around performing tricks adds a much greater tactical edge to the game than the spindash ever did. And I don't really see how you can pretend that the dumb speedcaps in the older games were good things. Having to let go of the d-pad coming off a diagonal spring to keep maximum speed etc. is silly. Removing it streamlines the whole game, and was a natural progression.

And I fail to see how the ability to easily go fast in a game with levels and gameplay designed around going fast is bad...unless you just dislike speed (or maybe constant speed is more accurate in this case) in general, but I see no reason a game can't be founded on it. And as for obsoleting the spin attack/spin dash...well, so what? As far as I'm concerned it's just because they've been ceded by something better. Okay, I wouldn't want them to be completely forgotten, but it's not like they ARE totally redundant (certainly not the spin attack, anyway).

For all I'm arguing for them I don't claim Rush/Rush Adventure to be perfect, they certainly have flaws, and in a way I can see what you're saying. Certainly the constant high-speed means it can be really hard to react to anything, and a fair amount of memorisation is required...but you cited level memorisation as one of the good things about the old games. If you just plain don't like it that's fair enough, I can't argue with personal taste. Your reasoning just seems very contradictory and poorly informed to me.

[EDIT] I need to stop editing this post, lol.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:16:01 pm by Crowbar »

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 03:05:44 pm »
I guess that's a response to PPA, but I'd like to say it doesn't take more than a couple of incidents of cheapness to get me riled, and if I put a game down while riled I might well not pick it up again.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 03:09:02 pm »
Rush > *

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 03:20:31 pm »
I guess that's a response to PPA, but I'd like to say it doesn't take more than a couple of incidents of cheapness to get me riled, and if I put a game down while riled I might well not pick it up again.
What are you talking about?...

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 04:07:05 pm »
It was a response to Crowbar's post listing the infinite pits in Rush.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 05:23:38 pm »
And re: the super boost, it's clear you haven't tried TAing at all as there's ALOT more to achieving maximum speed than just using the super boost. Tactical aspect? The necessity of keeping up your tension gauge while not wasting time hanging around performing tricks adds a much greater tactical edge to the game than the spindash ever did. And I don't really see how you can pretend that the dumb speedcaps in the older games were good things. Having to let go of the d-pad coming off a diagonal spring to keep maximum speed etc. is silly. Removing it streamlines the whole game, and was a natural progression.
I don't TA games I don't already like, so that's irrelevant for me for now (unless I totally change my opinion once I have beaten the game (happened with Sonic 06)).
I agree that Sonic 1's speedcap was often annoying, but exploiting Sonic CD's speedcap, learning when to roll and when to let go of the dpad and eventually mastering it and going faster than ever was very satisfying and fun. And definitely better than stupidly holding right all the time (applies more to SAdv2 than SR though, but it's similar).

And I fail to see how the ability to easily go fast in a game with levels and gameplay designed around going fast is bad...unless you just dislike speed (or maybe constant speed is more accurate in this case) in general, but I see no reason a game can't be founded on it.
Yeah, that may just be my personal taste. Also I love going fast in Sonic games, but only if it's me who's going fast and not the levels shooting me around at highspeed.
For all I'm arguing for them I don't claim Rush/Rush Adventure to be perfect, they certainly have flaws, and in a way I can see what you're saying. Certainly the constant high-speed means it can be really hard to react to anything, and a fair amount of memorisation is required...but you cited level memorisation as one of the good things about the old games. If you just plain don't like it that's fair enough, I can't argue with personal taste. Your reasoning just seems very contradictory and poorly informed to me.
My reasoning is always contradictory!
But there is a major difference between level memorisation in the old and the new games. In the old games, you needed to know the layout if you wanted to go as fast as possible, but (while that still apllies in the Dimps games), nowadays you also need to learn the level design to simply survive without being hit by meanly placed enemies, springs that launch you into doom, falling into bottomless pits or falling off rails (into pits). Which is a very difference.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:28:53 pm by P.P.A. »

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 05:57:20 pm »
PPA it sounds more like you just suck at Sonic Rush >_>

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 07:59:48 pm »

I was responding to you too. And I can understand where you're coming from there, though I'm the complete opposite. Generally I get bored if a game doesn't piss me off at least a couple of times. This is why I hate New Super Mario Bros. and love games like Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe, games have gotta earn my respect! :P

Course you could easily say that those games use legitimate difficulty rather than cheapness but blahblahblah personal taste blahblah.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 08:07:08 pm by Crowbar »

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 08:14:37 pm »
Sonic Rivals was great on the PSP. I never did get to try SR2, unfortunately. I hope to someday. :)
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 08:33:07 pm »

I was responding to you too. And I can understand where you're coming from there, though I'm the complete opposite. Generally I get bored if a game doesn't piss me off at least a couple of times. This is why I hate New Super Mario Bros. and love games like Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe, games have gotta earn my respect! :P

Course you could easily say that those games use legitimate difficulty rather than cheapness but blahblahblah personal taste blahblah.
Thats what I'm talking about. I want a challenging game, and I'm sure Sonic Rush series will shove that down my throat once I start submitting my rankings on this site :D I'm tired of games that are way too easy, like Zelda: The Minish Cap. I swear, if I played that at night I'd fall asleep lol.

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 08:47:34 pm »
Sonic Rivals was great on the PSP. I never did get to try SR2, unfortunately. I hope to someday. :)
Oh poo, forgot to add psp > <

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 06:52:26 am »
I don't like most easy games either (Sonic Chaos being an exception), that's why I hated Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess.
However while I like hard games, they have to be fair. If I get shot in Ikaruga (or any other shooter), it's my fault for not dodging the bullet. But if some developer places a bottomless pit where I can't see it and then an unexpected enemy that comes in from outside of the screen which then bumps me intt said unseen pit, that's a different affair.

Also SkyLights yes I do but I'm getting better. >_> Also those two things aren't fully related, the whole SPEED LOL concept puts me off and the level design is bad at times.

I beat Blaze's Zone 4 now (water stages should be slow not that fast >:O) and actually am beginning to like the game a little more. Err yes, except Altitude Limit seems to consist entirely of RAILS, PITS and DEATH RAYS.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 06:57:42 am by P.P.A. »

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 07:56:51 am »
I beat Blaze's Zone 4 now (water stages should be slow not that fast >:O) and actually am beginning to like the game a little more. Err yes, except Altitude Limit seems to consist entirely of RAILS, PITS and DEATH RAYS.

That's why it's awesome. :D

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 08:13:44 am »
But rails suck. :(

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 11:19:24 am »
Maybe it's you thats doing the sucking. Stop crying and get better, nubcakes ^.-

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 11:25:06 am »
Maybe it's you thats doing the sucking. Stop crying and get better, nubcakes ^.-
What does that have to do with my skills? I don't keep falling off them. Rails suck because you have nothing to do on them (but mashing R) and they add absolutely nothing to the gameplay. I wouldn't have any trouble with one or two rails throughout a stage, but a whole Zone dedicated to them? BORING.

Also if I didn't knew it was sarcastic, ^.- would be the gayest smilie I've ever seen.

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 11:45:26 am »
What does that have to do with my skills? I don't keep falling off them. Rails suck because you have nothing to do on them (but mashing R) and they add absolutely nothing to the gameplay. I wouldn't have any trouble with one or two rails throughout a stage, but a whole Zone dedicated to them? BORING.

Also if I didn't knew it was sarcastic, ^.- would be the gayest smilie I've ever seen.
Well you would know...Nubcakes :p

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 10:17:38 pm »
tikal > all
Rush > *

So Rush > * = Tikal => Rush > Tikal => Tikal > all is false => SkyLies. Stop lying, SkyL! >:O!!!
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Print

Hits: 405 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.27 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.