don't click here

WORLD UPENDED

Print

Author Topic: WORLD UPENDED  (Read 66158 times)

Offline Rolken

WORLD UPENDED
« on: March 22, 2008, 05:35:04 pm »
RIOTS IN THE STREETS

BABIES HAVING BABIES

THE NEW SONIC GAME HAS AN ACTUAL CHANCE OF BEING GOOD

* Become Wolf Sonic and fight enemies like never before using rapid combo maneuvers and Ring Energy
* Play as Sonic, Knuckles or Tails through 12 packed stages
* Extensive 2D gameplay brings the old Sonic back home"

That first bullet point? That's the chance of it being a complete abject disaster.

Apparently false :(

Lots of images! A video! Multiplatform!

Rails! 2D! Day and night ...werewolf cycles! A complete and utter lack of BIG THE CAT or SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG ...hopefully!

(Original post follows)

I swear you cannot make this stuff up. More images of "Sonic Unleashed". Personal response in the next post.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:55:31 pm by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Rolken

Re: SONIC IS A WEREWOLF
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 05:35:42 pm »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 05:36:33 pm »
Fanfiction disagrees!
* Waxwings mobbed.

But I can guarantee it exists in droves.

Offline PsyMar

• Really going to play Sonic again. Someday.
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 05:37:18 pm »
RULE 34.
Let me tell you something about the human race. You put a mysterious blue box slap-bang in the middle of town, whadda you do? Walk past it.

"When you're going through hell, keep going." -- Winston Churchill

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 05:39:20 pm »

Unavailable for comment.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 05:39:34 pm »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SEGA WHAT THE FUCKING SHIT
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 05:44:57 pm by P.P.A. »
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 05:42:25 pm »
so um, in chat I was referring to the CD pic looking like Batman...

yeah...wtf there Sonic Team?
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline PsyMar

• Really going to play Sonic again. Someday.
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 05:53:09 pm »

I'm the GODDAMN BATMAN.

NO U
Let me tell you something about the human race. You put a mysterious blue box slap-bang in the middle of town, whadda you do? Walk past it.

"When you're going through hell, keep going." -- Winston Churchill

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:23:56 pm »
More shots: http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=6266
It wouldn't even look that bad if it wasn't for that MOTHERFUCKING WEREWOLF SONIC

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 06:36:34 pm »

[EDIT] Since I do want to post an actual opinion, I don't even know WHAT to fucking think about the werewolf thing. However, I can say that I really like the look of that Mediterranean-ish town. It's very pretty, and has an overall light and pleasant feel that I'm already enjoying. It's got a nicely cartoony, geometric, simplified look to it, as well. Hopefully the game as a whole will follow that direction more than the very dark looking cutscene shots (though probably not).

Not like it matters to me since it's a PS360 game, but I can still care.

[EDIT2] ALSO, Sonic himself looks to have a bit more of his old-school attitude and style. He looks positively cute in some of those shots.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 07:05:31 pm by Crowbar »

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 07:15:12 pm »
I will go ahead and make a stupid guess at the plot.

(This means you skip the next paragraph)

Sonic confronts Eggman as Super Sonic to stop him from whatever he does nowadays only to have the negative energy from the chaos emeralds do something to him due to one of Eggman's machines which releases his dark side being that werewolf creature and Eggman scatters the emeralds in which Sonic has to find so he can cure himself before the darkness consumes him.

(Paragraph over)

If this turns out to be true I will go find Sonic Team and beat them to death with their arms after savagely killing the head of Sonic Team.
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 07:21:58 pm »
so this is like the 3rd time sonic becomes "dark"?

if you count sonic X and SSR (darkspines)
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 07:30:09 pm »
Well at this point anyone can make a guess that can be completely ridiculous and yet still be pretty damn close to what the story is in Sonic games.

Lately they have been trying to make the Sonic series and Sonic "dark". See Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic The Hedgehog(06), and Sonic Chronicles. EDIT: And Shadow.
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 09:35:26 pm »

WHAT
THE

HECK
I have to say, I could tell a Secret Rings-type would come soon.  I was more expecting a sequel, but this was ... I can't even describe it.  Story aside, I hope beyond hope that this will hit the Wii.  Which it really looks like; people claim the graphics are too good, but Super Mario Galaxy proved to me that there's more to the Wii than meets the eye, and what appears to be the gameplay for this only makes sense with a SSR type control.  But still, wow.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 09:38:47 pm »
Edit: This text isn't big enough.

OH MY GOD, IT'S TWILIGHT PRINCESS ALL OVER AGAIN
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES

Seriously, what the bloody FUCK is this!?!
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 10:16:59 pm »
Hmm...

Ok Sonic as a werewolf is pretty damn weird but I can deal with that for the most part. The.. iblis.. thing... biolizard ripoff...

This thing can get the hell away. I'm tired of seeing this crap. Perfect Chaos was awesome, Biolizard too. But then they got this idea in their heads where it was always better to make a big piece of alien crap as the last boss. Just... ugh. :(

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 10:31:58 pm »
Let me join the font crowd here.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Why the heck do they keep pulling this stuff... honestly!  Just make it simple!  And make Eggyolk the final boss!
Hi

Offline Rolken

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 10:47:09 pm »
Not like it matters to me since it's a PS360 game, but I can still care.
I wouldn't be so sure. It's common for promo screenshots to be at higher resolution than the actual game - they were putting out Rivals screens at HD sizes and that's a PSP game. And they'd be insane to ignore the one platform that actually delivered them decent sales in the last round of Sonic games. Plus it appears to be based on the Secret Rings engine, which, well, was a Wii game.

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 11:09:33 pm »

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 11:14:00 pm »
Oh, Rolken, that's a good point, there are even some pics for this that are stupid big (not 1080p...not any resolution I know actually, but still bigger than usual).

Also that video is...well it looks pretty cool, but I find myself wondering how the hell that side-on perspective is going to work...

wait

WAIT

IT'S 2.5D???

They've got the balls to try a (partial) sidescroller on current consoles???? That's...interesting.

I also have to say I really like the music. It sounds more like SRA's soundtrack than anything else. FINALLY NO SHITTY CRUSH 40 VOCALS??

OH MAN HE'S EVEN DOING RUSH STYLE BOOSTS WHAT THE FUCK I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK OF THIS
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 11:19:12 pm by Crowbar »

Offline JBertolli

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 11:22:34 pm »
what, Sonic Team is going emo? [edit]:Parts of tThe gameplay looks Sonic Rush style with better graphics, meaning I will fail at it and not like it D: As for the SSR part, change up the missions and upgrade things some please?

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 11:27:15 pm »
As for the SSR part, change up the missions and upgrade things some please?
NO UPGRADES
NO MISSIONS
SONIC ONLY

FINAL DESTINATION.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 11:41:10 pm »
At first thoughts I was all "hangon, this "Sonic Unleashed" thing came out recently after someone noticing a Nintendo patent... now there is leaked media? a little convenient eh? how would a game get so far in development without being noticed?" ... however, because this promo stuff does look so... developed, to an extent... it would imply that it is real and not too far off what they are intending to do with whatever ideas they have.

However, dark werewolf Sonic kinda juxtaposes with the feel of that level that is in most of the screens. I dunno.

The whole 'dark Sonic' idea I don't think is too bad an idea. EXCEPT that we have already had it done with Shadow and SatSR (and Sonic X...). Given the events of SA1 where Chaos uses the 'negative' energy and Sonic uses the 'positive' energy to go super, one can forgive the use of this idea for a dark version of Super Sonic, even after taking the Shadow route (which was also a decent enough idea). But after having made "Darkspines Sonic"... it's a bit... meh.

I'd rather have a game which stars "Rainbow Sonic".

Another thing is that the "leaked" (more like, subtly released for promo) screenshots seem to be rather incoherent... the gameplay seems to all be from one level (understandably), but some of the cutscene stuff like with Super Sonic and Eggman... it all seems disjointed. rather pretty at times.

My verdict? Wait and see.

PS.
Didn't look through all the screens fully at first. Now have done moreso.
It's weird that it seems to be a combo of sidescrolling and rails.
But in either case, it seems to involve a LOT of out of control "loop-de-loop" autopilot.
That's no good.
Also on one hand, the appearance of Eggman and just the general look gives the idea that it isn't going down the SatSR route of "lol arabian nights init lol".
On the other... werewolf Sonic...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 11:47:42 pm by Emma Lover »
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline JBertolli

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 11:45:27 pm »
As for the SSR part, change up the missions and upgrade things some please?
NO UPGRADES
NO MISSIONS
SONIC ONLY
{edit}
FINAL DESTINATION.

Actually, no upgrades are exactly what I want, just didn't think anyone else felt that way. As for missions, I don't mind them, just that some are stupid or annoying.

DEATH NOTE.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 12:40:28 am »
From what I've seen, this looks more like a 2.5d style (mostly side scrolling with some third person) game than a full blown SSR style game. I'd also go with the "updated Dark Spine" hypothesis as well since the dark side of the Chaos Emeralds makes a perfect explanation for a dark form outside the book world. Speaking of which, Sonic is probably the only main character to get his ass kicked by a book. Let's hope that new dark form doesn't completely take over or we might end up with a worst ending in which Sonic decides Tails and Amy are snacks instead of his friends. *snickers at the horrible reference I just made*

With all the cynical thoughts out there, you have to think of the positive. With 2.5d being the dominant style, you can expect to see FAR less glitches and craptastic camera angles (something you'd come to expect with 3d platformers in general).
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 01:08:59 am »
Oh, forgot to add this.  The level designs are pretty cool.
Hi

Offline F-Man

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 01:22:32 am »
You... maybe if... I mean, possibly... No. You just cannot make this stuff up.

Wait. It's 2.5D?! Or at least seemingly most of the time. After the failure of Sonic 06 and the long time it took for them to announce the next big game, my imagination started working, and this looks exactly like what I had in mind. Well, minus the wolf thing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 01:27:40 am by F-Man »

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 09:30:25 am »
I'M LAZY AND JUST COPYPASTING MY POST FROM SONIC RETRO
I hope SEGA realizes that not all 2D games have to be brainless highspeed orgies without any slow moments or exploration.
Fuck, I was hoping for a sequel to Sonic 06, keeping the brilliant level design except this time with less bottomless pits and the overall game actually finished. Oh well, I hope this game won't always be as stupidly fast as seen in the video. Did you notice Sonic never stands still in any of the screenshots?

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 10:36:04 am »
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 12:08:48 pm »
Okay, call me crazy, but I swear that this game might have some of that "potential" that we keep tossing around. Let me ignore the werewolf thing for a second, I'll get back to this in a minute.

As far as I can tell, nobody's posted this *here* yet, and maybe I'm just crazy for noticing it, so lemme be the first. Look at this.
Then, in a new tab/window, look at this. It's hard to make out, but yeah, that is, like, the same damned town in the background. I actually approve of this hi-res-what-we-already-have business. It makes it much harder for Sonic Team to fuck it up, really. It also satisfies everybody bitching for Sonic Team to include throwbacks to prior fans.

Aforementioned minute having passed, obligatory wtfs abound. I imagine it might be like how in S'06, Sonic was f..f..fast -- okay, I couldn't say that with a straight face -- and Shadow was slower but stronger. Same concept, only in that Rivals / Rivals 2 / Rush / Rush Adventure 2.5D that we love so much (?). Not bad at all, if, again, this was in the hands of another developer.

Long story short, we're all jsut going to wait and see how it turns out anyway. I have high hopes for all of the 2.5D games, though, since they've generally been better than the 3D garbage as of late. Everything I've just said is what the whole of the site was thinking anyway. >_>
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Print

Hits: 505 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.32 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.