don't click here

WORLD UPENDED

Print

Author Topic: WORLD UPENDED  (Read 66508 times)

Offline JBertolli

Re: SONIC IS A WEREWOLF
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2008, 12:23:25 pm »

Wait, what exactly is this? A final boss? 1) why would you show off the final boss so early? 2) I want to fight Eggman for real already!

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »
It also satisfies everybody bitching for Sonic Team to include throwbacks to prior fans.

Is Rivals really worth a throwback?

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2008, 12:52:36 pm »
Hey, I never said it was worth it. :P
I personally enjoyed the level though just for epic musics in Act 3, and epic-when-vocals-removed music in Act 1.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 01:00:53 pm »
Fuck, I was hoping for a sequel to Sonic 06,
No.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 01:07:45 pm »
*looks at DsR's image*
AHHHHHH
EVIL KATAMARI!!!!

Now that I've looked further into this, my comparison to SSR no longer holds ground; I thought it was more rail-based than 2.5D.  Still, if it doesn't hit the Wii, Sonic Team proves themselves to be worse idiots than imaginable - think of the money they'd lose.
I am still in awe how that managed to stay under the radar for that long.  This has obviously been in the works for several months already, and this is the first we hear of it?  Wow.
The fact that only Sonic and Eggman are the only characters (well, other than robots/bosses) to appear in that huge amount of screenshots is encouraging.  Furthermore, Eggman finally proves to be a force to reckon with; no matter how powerful bosses get, before this only Knuckles was ever shown to be able to actually forcefully remove Sonic's super form.  Where the game goes with this is still unknown, however.
The levels shown reminded me of something, and I've finally placed my finger on it.  Has anyone else here played any of the Myst series?  The forest levels in particular remind me of that.
Now comments on the gameplay video: the game looks awesome.  The graphics are most definitely possible on the Wii, they seem to kinda resemble the SSR graphics.  The music ... is interesting, seems like something you'd hear on a PSP though.  LOL at the 99 lives.
All in all, WANT.
Oh, and I got Brawl today.  :D
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Rolken

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 01:55:41 pm »
It looks like it has both 2.5D sections and rails sections.

I am, of course, skeptical. Even in 2.5D they seem to be flipping the camera around in strange ways (though that could just be because it's a demo video - the rooted camera in the final shot seems particularly odd), and what they show of gameplay, as mentioned, looks more like Rivals than Sonic 2.

Hurdles Sonic Team has to surmount on the path to making this game not suck:

- Letting the camera "get out of the way" and focus on what the player needs to see, not cinematic swoops (unlike ... 3D Sonic)
- Making the level design vibrant and interesting (unlike Rivals), with no gotcha hazards and no punishment for going fast (unlike the Advances)
- Keeping this werewolf gameplay something Sonicy in more than name (unlike SA2), yet interesting and different enough to justify replaying the levels (unlike Heroes)

The first one should be trivial in 2.5D/rails if they can resist the impulse to do flashy nonsense. The latter two are significantly more difficult. But if nothing else, Sonic Team is at least working from a solid base this time - we're not in a situation like Heroes where the fundamental game design was flawed.

As for behind-the-scenes speculation. After Sonic06 came out, there were interviews with Sonic Team members in which they were practically despondent. They pretty clearly recognized that they had delivered a turd, and with the combined impact to morale of that and Naka's leaving, there was talk about even losing the Sonic Team name. I think this is the resulting impact: that design responsibilities have been passed away from Iizuka and Nakamura and co on to Yojiro Ogawa, the Secret Rings designer, whose heritage this game inherits. Since this is multiplatform, on Wii/360 according to TSS and almost certainly on PS3 too, it's pretty clear that SEGA has taken the "traditional 3D" option off the table for now.

So basically, the "mainline" Sonic series finally got so bad that it hit them in the pocketbook, and this is the result. My guess is that it'll almost certainly turn out better, but whether it's good enough to genuinely qualify as "good" aside from the Sonic title remains to be seen. It's a trite prediction to make, but my guess is that if this is targeted for Christmas 2009 there is a much greater chance of seeing a good game than Christmas 2008.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Re: WORLD UPENDED
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 02:23:18 pm »
A recent articly on Xbox 360 Fanboy claims that there'll likely be 12 real stages. The Rivals formula is *really* sticking to this game... cross your fingers, people, we don't want this to go down that road...

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2008, 09:26:19 am »
Uh oh...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but....
You guys do realize what Tuesday is, right?  I just figured it out.  This could be BAD.
My presssioussss....

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2008, 06:48:22 pm »
Tuesday is the 25th, last I checked...

...oh, you mean NEXT Tuesday. Yeah, we know.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2008, 07:00:55 pm »
Uh oh...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but....
You guys do realize what Tuesday is, right?  I just figured it out.  This could be BAD.
To make dozens of screenshots and a gameplay video from three completely distinct areas is more than any fangame project has ever done, much less a hoax. And it is not April 1st. No, this is real.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2008, 06:56:11 am »

Wait, what exactly is this? A final boss? 1) why would you show off the final boss so early? 2) I want to fight Eggman for real already!
I predict this thing to be Sonic's werewolf form which somehow gets separated from Sonic in the Last Story, absorbs the negative power of the Chaos Emeralds to transform into this monster and Sonic goes super to battle it.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2008, 08:21:16 am »
No, it's pretty obvious that it's the "evil Dragon Lord, Immarius" who rules Mubuz.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2008, 08:53:08 am »
No, it's pretty obvious that it's the "evil Dragon Lord, Immarius" who rules Mubuz.
Except that came from a "screenshot" of a SEGA release list that SSUK from X-Cult had faked, but apparently someone must have seen it and thought it was real so he/she spread it all over the internet.

Offline JBertolli

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2008, 12:55:48 pm »

I predict this thing to be Sonic's werewolf form which somehow gets separated from Sonic in the Last Story, absorbs the negative power of the Chaos Emeralds to transform into this monster and Sonic goes super to battle it.

So, this is what SuperWere-Sonic looks like...

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2008, 01:15:45 pm »
Please elaborate PPA.  I thought this was in all of the screenshot tables?
My presssioussss....

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2008, 02:36:20 pm »
Please elaborate PPA.  I thought this was in all of the screenshot tables?
http://forums.x-cult.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=3696&view=findpost&p=70463
(Thankfully,) Tails and Knuckles, the gameplay being 2D, "Mubuz" and the dragon king bs, or in short everything you see in that picture is fake, SEGA has confirmed absolutely NOTHING yet. The only given facts are the screenshots and the video, nothing else.
(SSUK originally embedded a fake link into the pictures, which urls were something the lines of "This is fake" and "No really I'm just fooling you" or something similar in meaning. I replied to that however my post was deleted and SSUK edited his post and removed the links.)

Offline Rolken

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2008, 03:54:10 pm »
Except that came from a "screenshot" of a SEGA release list that SSUK from X-Cult had faked, but apparently someone must have seen it and thought it was real so he/she spread it all over the internet.
Oh, is that so. That sucks. I kept trying to get people at other forums to tell me what was suspicious about it and nobody would. >:|

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2008, 05:08:25 pm »
You needn't cross out the 2D gameplay aspect, that much is evident from the video.

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2008, 06:15:53 pm »
So the dragon-katamari-thingy didn't belong with this?
YAY!
No evil dragon final boss (yet)!
I knew April 1st had something to do with this.  <_<

So, then can we please try to sort out the real and fake details?  I'm guessing the video and any screenshots with Sonic are legit.  What else?
My presssioussss....

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2008, 08:21:53 pm »
Oh, is that so. That sucks. I kept trying to get people at other forums to tell me what was suspicious about it and nobody would. >:|

Rolk my main suspicion came from "where is the link plz. Why can I not find this page with all my googling might??!"... even then, when people were like "maybe this is fake" I was all "what why" and was easily willing to believe people saying it was SoE official or something.

Or maybe I was being dumb because I was on TSS.

Also the screenshots that have been showcased are all very much real... at least they are all as real as eachother. I wouldn't imagine someone would throw in the dragon on the sly with all the others that are clearly from something real.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2008, 04:51:57 am »
So, then can we please try to sort out the real and fake details?  I'm guessing the video and any screenshots with Sonic are legit.  What else?
Nothing but the name.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 05:48:42 pm »
Rolk my main suspicion came from "where is the link plz. Why can I not find this page with all my googling might??!"... even then, when people were like "maybe this is fake" I was all "what why" and was easily willing to believe people saying it was SoE official or something.
Well, that pseudo-magazine DID have a link, but they retracted it. I just wasn't sure whether the retraction meant that it was truly fake or that they had gotten slapped by SEGA's lawyers.

Also I will crosspost this paragraph from Retro because I think it is relevant

This game has potential, but it seems like the same old "could this be the one!?" hysteria is taking that potential and inflating it beyond the actual odds of SEGA pulling it off. The track record of 2D Sonic games lately is ok but not stellar, and Sonic Team itself hasn't done a 2D platformer since the 16-bit days, so I'm doubtful of this "2D = WOW SONIC IS AWESOME AGAIN" mentality that's going around the internet. Could it be good? Yes. Could it be awful? Quite. Until it's apparent that all the other factors that contributed to the malfeasance of the 3D titles have been remedied, skepticism is in order. Remember, this is the same Sonic Team that took a reasonably good rails framework and ruined it with the design decision to make the player earn decent controls. There are competence problems here that go beyond the number of dimensions and months in development.

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2008, 07:58:56 pm »
Here's an "in-depth analysis" of already leaked info.

Also, prophets commence
Sega is majorly pissed about all this stuff getting leaked, if anyone hadn't guessed.

I'll throw in some info:
PS3 and Wii versions of the game confirmed. X360 version is not confirmed.
The game runs on the Sonic Rush engine.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10367018

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2008, 09:13:40 pm »
Sega is majorly pissed about all this stuff getting leaked, if anyone hadn't guessed.

I'll throw in some info:
The game runs on the Sonic Rush engine. (NOT the graphics engine, doofus.)

And we're supposed to believe THAT just why?

I'll say I fully agree with Rolken's post up there.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2008, 06:38:09 am »

I'll throw in some info:
The game runs on the Sonic Rush engine. (NOT the graphics engine, doofus.)

And we're supposed to believe THAT just why?

I'll say I fully agree with Rolken's post up there.
They set the lawyers on Dtoid, amongst others.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2008, 07:59:21 am »
They set the lawyers on Dtoid, amongst others.

Um, I was referring to the "WiiS3 confirmed Rush engine lol" part, not the "Sega is pissed" part.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2008, 09:34:24 pm »
because anyone with a cross set as their avatar is quite clearly a conservative and we all know conservatives tell the truth that we as the masses should follow

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2008, 02:23:14 am »
warning Bendilin topic...but still contails info in which might be true.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs9/genmessage.php?board=945572&topic=42218908

"SEGA is launching SONIC UNLEASHED with a HUGE production budget and it seems not only SONIC TEAM is involved but a very huge part of SEGA's developer teams including those from Japan, the US and, apparently for the first time, even Europe. There seems to be one clear mission: Rebuild the Sonic brand and prove it could work in 3D environments."
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Rolken

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2008, 02:46:52 am »
We can go on for a year posting random comments from forums. But can we stick to what has at least a shred of credibility instead?

That production budget line is from the same magazine source that ended up retracting everything they posted.

And saying the 360 version is unconfirmed is pretty silly when the gameplay video has a big green A button sticking out in the middle of it. Those aren't GameCube graphics.

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2008, 05:46:35 am »
Quote from: YouTube
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Sega of America, Inc.

They should spend their time developing instead of pestering YouTube.

Editing the first post is required again... :(
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Print

Hits: 1,169 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.27 MB | Time: 0.07s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.