don't click here

Rate Sonic Games

Print

Author Topic: Rate Sonic Games  (Read 6780 times)

Offline Stardust Speedman

• Jorn del Judici
  • TSC: Siavash Tazari
  • win10 chrome
  • That beautiful Lady in my avatar is my wife! Yeah!
    • View Profile
Rate Sonic Games
« on: February 17, 2008, 04:42:58 pm »
Rate Sonic games.

Please, only unclude games that you have completely finished (with all extras, unlockables and stuff) or games that you have played for at least 10 hours!!!

Here are my ratings:

20. Sonic Battle                       7.0/10
Status: I haven't completed Chalange Mode yet, but I have finished the story two times, once with my cousin, once alone, and have tried various challanges already. I believe I have played this game more than 10 hours already, but I'm not sure.

19. Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball (MD)   7.0/10
Status: Completely finished without using the save function of the emulator.

18. Sonic R                            7.0/10

17. Sonic Riders                       7.1/10
Status: Far from total completion, but I believe I have played it around 50 hours.

16. Sonic 3D Blast                     7.1/10
Status: Completed with all Chaos Emeralds without using the save function of the emulator.

15. Sonic Advance                      7.3/10

14. Sonic Advance 3                    7.5/10

13. Sonic the Hedgehog (MS/GG)         7.7/10
Status: Completed with all Chaos Emeralds without using the save function of the emulator.

12. Sonic Advance 2                    8.0/10

11. Sonic Adventure                    8.3/10
Status: 130 Emblems + All Extra Missions finished. I even played this game for a bit longer for a little bit of competition. Playtime around 130 hours.

10. Sonic Heroes                       8.5/10
Status: Super Hard Mode beaten + some extra playing for competition. I believe I have played this game more than 200 hours, maybe even more than 300 hours. This is possibly the game I have played mos in my life, except for maybe Diablo 2 (+ Expansion Set Lord of Destruction), but I'm not sure about that.

09. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (MS/GG)       8.9/10
Status: Crystal Egg Zone completed without using the save function of the emulator.

08. Sonic Adventure 2                  8.9/10
Status: More than 100 Emblems, but still far from completion. I think I've played this game around 100 hours. The fact that I still haven't played the 3D Green Hill Zone is killing me!

07. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles    9.5/10
Status: Finished with all three characters with all Super Emeralds without using the save function of the emulator.

06. Shadow the Hedgehog                9.5/10
Status: All keys collected and Expert Mode beaten. I'm not sure how long I've played this game. Since A-Ranking is much easier here and there are not so many useless extra missions, It is possible that I have actually played this less than 100 hours.

05. Sonic the Hedgehog CD             10.0/10

04. Sonic the Hedgehog (MD)           10.0/10

03. Sonic and the Secret Rings        10.0/10
Status: Level 99 with all Gold Medals and all Fire Souls and all the content of the Special Book unlocked, except for the 10 medals you earn by playing the Party Games and the Medal you earn by defeating Erazor Djinn below level 25. Total Playtime more than 100 hours. Right now, I am working on some competition.

02. Sonic Rush                        11.0/10
Status: All S-Ranks collected and also put quite a lot of effort in competition in all categories.

01. Sonic Rush Adventure              11.3/10
Status: Story Mode and all 100 missions completed, but I don't have all S-Ranks yet. I am trying to max all scores and as soon as I will be done with that, I'll continue competing in other categories, just like with Sonic Rush. Long live the Sonic Rush series!!! I'm sure I have played this game already for far more than 10 hours.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 01:15:43 pm by Stardust Speedman »
There is no sense crying over every mistake! You just keep on trying till you run out of cake!

Offline P.P.A.

Re: Rate Sonic Games
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 05:02:17 pm »
I HAVE NOT ALWAYS GOTTEN ALL THE EMERALDS AND SHIT BUT WHO CARES I'VE BEATEN ALL THE FOLLOWING ONES
EXCEPT FOR SHUFFLE BUT I'VE PLAYED IT LONG ENOUGH TO HATE IT

-Game-     -Objective score-  -  -Subjective score-

Sonic the Hedgehog     8/10  -  9/10
Sonic the Hedgehog 2     7.5/10  -  6.5/10   
Sonic the Hedgehog 3     7.3/10  -  6/10
Sonic & Knuckles     8/10  -  7.8/10
Sonic the Hedgehog CD     9.8/10  -  >9000/10
Sonic Chaos     7/10  -  8/10
Sonic Triple Trouble     8/10  -  7.5/10
Sonic R     7/10  -  9/10
Sonic Adventure DX     7/10  -  6.5/10
Sonic Adventure 2     8.5/10  -  9/10
Sonic Heroes     5/10  -  4/10
Shadow the Hedgehog     5.5/10  -  5/10
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG     7/10  -  8/10
Sonic Shuffle     3/10  -  1/10
Sonic Riders     6.9/10  -  6.5/10
Sonic Advance     8/10  -  7.8/10
Sonic Advance 2     7.5/10  -  6.9/10
Sonic Advance 3     7.5/10  -  7.3/10
Sonic Battle     7.5/10  -  8/10
Sonic Pinball Party     7/10  -  8.5/10
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 01:48:44 pm by P.P.A. »
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

• Jorn del Judici
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 06:18:02 pm »
OK, There is also one game that I haven't played for 10 hours or finished with all Chaos Emeralds, but I have played through all its levels and know it well enough to hate it. This one game, in my opinion the only Sonic game really worth to hate, is Sonic Blast (not to be confused with Sonic 3D Blast). I'd give it a 3/10 at most!

Bye the way, all my ratings are subjective anyway. That's what matters anyway. It's not so important what you think would be a fair rating, but how much you truely believe you enjoyed playing the game. If you believe you enjoyed playing Sonic R more than just 7/10, then it deserves more.
There is no sense crying over every mistake! You just keep on trying till you run out of cake!

• Jorn del Judici
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:38:56 am »
UPDATE:

I decided to write about my status in all the games I have rated. Please have a look at the first post again.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:34:38 am »
Ok, updated my post with subjective scores. Too lazy to do the status, but maybe I'll do that when I feel like it.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:15:19 pm »
1. Sonic Adventure: 8.5/10.

2. Sonic Adventure 2: 4.5/10. Highly overrated. Only 1/3 of the game is actually good. The shooting stages are a slower, clumsier version of Gamma stages. The hunting stages are just bad, okay. The driving is also lame. Also has an even worse camera than SA, not to mention the bad stuff got more weight at the expense of the good stuff.

3. Sonic Heroes: 7/10. None of the stages really stood out in my mind as being really impressive. Introduces enemies that don't have glass jaws for once (good thing in my book since I love combat).

4. Shadow the Hedgehog: 8/10 *shot. Criminally underrated in my book. Has the best camera of all the 3D games (merely incompetent as opposed to homicidal, blood thirsty, etc.). 3D Sonic games are known to be really glitchy, but this game is actually the most polished of the bunch in the bug department by a long shot. (Yes, even "positive" glitches are bad in my book merely because they exist in the final product). The targeting system for the guns actually works pretty good if you're not in short range based on how the system works. In fact, the guns add a layer of strategy not seen before in speed runs. The reworked spin dash is wonderful because it forces you to use it tactically instead of brainlessly button mashing it.

5. Sonic the Hedgehog (360): 3/10. This game sucks because Sega decided to release an unfinished, glitchy beta (that's right, this game wasn't even finished, making it in the beta stage) with bad controls and gameplay with a lot of characters taking a MAJOR step backwards when compared to SA. This game was so bad that negative word of mouth caused its sales to flop so much (I'm talking sub 100k when you accout for all the inevitiable returns) that Sega discontinued the game. So far, Disgaea 3 in its first two weeks out in Japan has sold nearly as much as this game has in an entire year.

6. Sonic Riders: 3.5/10. Some of the worst controls I've ever seen in a racer. Compare to Mario Kart or F-Zero's quality of control.

7. Sonic Rush: 8.5/10

8. Sonic Rush Adventure: 9/10

9. Sonic CD: 9.5/10
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

• Jorn del Judici
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:03:55 pm »
Thanks, P.P.A. and magnum12!

Magnum, I agree with you that SA2 is highly over-rated. The camera can be the most anoying in any 3D Sonic game, unless you just follow the path you are supposed to follow. The shooting stages are not so fun and I agree that Gama's stages where somewhat better, though not by much. The most anoying thing is the Chao-raising, which I can't describe with words how much I hate it! Design-wise, it's less horrible than in Sonic Adventure, but the fact that you have to spend much more time with the Chaos in SA2 than in SA1 in order to collect all embles, makes it even much worse! Biggest torture ever! However, although this is a matter of opinion, I think the hunting stages in SA2 are very good and creative. Much better than the ones from SA1. I wished there were Sonic-Style stages with the design of the hunting stages! I think the Kart Racing was also OK. The best part of SA2 is of course the Sonic-Style stages. I think most of them are the best in any 3D Sonic game. For this reason I still believe it deserves a high score, even though it is really a shame that only slightly more than 1/3 of the game consists of these stages. There are some really awesome soundtracks in the game as well. All in all, it is true that this game is way too over-worshiped and is very far from the best Sonic game ever created.

On the other hand, I think Sonic Adventure is also way too over-rated. The Sonic & Amy stages are fun, but, in my opinion, most of the time, by far not as exciting as most other stages found in other 3D Sonic games. The gameplay of the other characters is for the most part really not that interesting and especially Big's fishing stages are some of the very worst things ever happened to the Sonic universe. Furthermore, the game is way too easy and the Story Mode hardly provides any challange. It only gets challenging if you go for competition, but most players don't do that anyway. Also, the game is not much less glitchy than Sonic 06 is. The only reason that noone really cared back then, is because it was Sonic's first real 3D game and everybody was so excited and all. In my opinion, it has also the least interesting music between all 3D Sonic game. Overall, you can still get a lot of fun out of the game, if you at least try to do some SpeedRuns, but I think all 3D Sonic games afterwards have improved over Sonic Adventure in pretty much any way.

About Shadow the Hedgehog, I totally have to agree with you! I just wished all those people who hate this game just because Shadow uses guns in it and says "Damn" would open their eyes and realise how much effort was put into this game! Gunplay has already existed in Sonic games since Sonic Adventure. The difference here is that, in contrary to the Sonic Adventure games, the gunplay in Shadow the Hedgehog is really fun, and as you said, really adds a layer of strategy. The vehicles are also sometimes an interesting option, though not always; but if you don't like them, you usualy don't have to use them anyway. Collecting the keys and seeing what they unlock is also pretty interesting. I also think that this game has some of the most varied and best stages in any 3D Sonic game and the fact alone that there are 23 stages, all just for Shadow, and that there are no other useless playable characters, only makes this game even much better. No Big the F*cking Cat or any torturous Chao-raising. The music also kicks ass! If only the bosses weren't so crappy and were actually really fun, and if A-ranking had been more challenging, I had given this game a 10/10.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:17:54 am by Stardust Speedman »

Offline Stefan

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 08:46:35 pm »
Magnum, I agree with you that SA2 is highly over-rated. The camera can be the most anoying in any 3D Sonic game, unless you just follow the path you are supposed to follow.

Yeah, because that qualifier you added ruins the game!?

This is one of the most ridiculous criticisms of Sonic Adventure 2 that I have ever seen. Why is the camera considered poor if only fails when you are not following the standard path? More importantly, why should a camera designer should have mad ea camera that adjusts to you whenever you go out of bounds, into scenery, off course, into nothingness for a shortcut, or the wrong way?

You even acknowledge yourself that the camera does not fluke out if you're following the intended path.

What makes it bad? If the camera was designed well enough to almost never cause a problem when you are doing as the game developers intended, why does it deserve criticism? Why is it annoying?

Do you really expect a camera that knows exactly what you are currently doing, what you are intending to do, and where you are going? Do you expect a camera that does all of that and can adjust accordingly so that you have perfect vision? Or do you instead expect a camera that keeps fixed, almost flawlessly, on the main path, even when you are trying to do something unintended?

If it's the former, you expect far more than is possible and take an excellent camera system for granted. If the latter, that's what SA2 presents. Why criticize it?

Thank you, have a nice day!

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 10:09:38 pm »
Super Mario 64 had a reasonably competent camera, especially considering it was, as far as I know, the first 3D game to really feature a camera in the sense we now know it (for example, Tomb Raider didn't because it was always over-the-shoulder).

However, Mario 64 is a very different game to SA2: the former is centered around completely free exploration; the latter around following linear paths.

What it would be most intelligent to criticise in this case, if anything, is that fact that SA2 expects you to just stay on the same path in a level rather than exploring (which the level design is responsible for as much as the camera: most of the levels are, infamously, platforms floating in empty space rather than open areas).

Offline Stefan

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 11:26:19 pm »
Mike brought up SM64 in the chat and I said, almost exactly, what your next two paragraphs said.

One other thing: sm64's camera would be unable to keep up with the speed of a sonic game reasonably.

• Jorn del Judici
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 04:12:27 am »
Thanks guys!

You're both right of course. I should explain better what I find anoying. It is true that the camera does a good job as long as you follow the path you are supposed to follow. But, for example, it is almost impossible to back-track in SA2. When you are not moving, the camera can be moved around freely, but as soon as you sart moving, the camera will reset to showing forward again, even if you are going to the opposite direction. That can be incredibely anoying. I never expected the camera to always know what I am going to do next, but the camera of SA2 provides a real problem here. They have fixed this problem in SH and ShtH: If you decide to not follow the given path and want to look around a bit while your moving, or want to back-track, the camera will move freely for a while instead of reseting as soon as you press a direction button. In addition, In Sonic Heroes you can set the camera to free if the automatic camera is getting in your way at a given point. Sure, the free camera in SH is not in every situation that great, but it's better than nothing.

However, I am not down-grading SA2 for the camera that much. I just wanted to acknowledge that the camera in SA2 is my least favorite. My main critisism is what I have writen afterwards. As you can see by my rating, I haven't down-graded the game by much anyway. It's just that it is hard to understand for me why so many people think that SA2 is the best Sonic game ever. This doesn't mean I haven't a lot of fun playing it.

Generally, I am actually exactly a person who has always hated it when people put Sonic games down so much because of the camera and controls. Sure, the camera and controls are not flawless, but overally they do the job. These people always argue that why Sonic can't manage to have a decent camera when there are so many other 3D games out there with much better cameras, but these people don't seem to understand that Sonic games are something totally different and there is nothing like them. Designing the perfect camera for a 3D Sonic game is much more challenging then for other 3D games. So far, there HAVE been a few moments in pretty much all 3D Sonic games were I didn't find the camera very convinient, but most of the time, I have been satisfied. Same with the controls. Those people who hate 3D Sonic games because of the camera and controls really need to learn to play Sonic games!

Print

Hits: 135 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.07 MB | Time: 0.05s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.