don't click here

Good news for us Strategy RPG fans. (douglas will love this)

Print

Author Topic: Good news for us Strategy RPG fans. (douglas will love this)  (Read 12143 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Good news for us Strategy RPG fans. (douglas will love this)
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:10:32 pm »
Disgaea 3 (Japanese version) should be out for the PS3 soon and based on current trends, the US should expect the game in late summer to early fall (we usually get these games about 7-8 months after the Japanese release).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=217q6a81MXE

From what I've seen in the opening scene, Laharl, Etna, Flonne, Axel, the main heroine from Phantom Brave?, and all seven Prism Rangers make cameos. As for playable classes we get archers, gunner (male), heavy knight, male and female warriors, beastmasters, ninja (male), ninja (female), geomancers, samurai (female), gunner (female), either a unique bow user or a male archer, mage (female), rogue (female), prinnys, wood golems, several monsters from Makai Kingdom (the cats, mushrooms, and skull things), succubi, ghosts, and flower things (from D2).

The main characters of this game are Mao (nerdy guy with glasses) and Rasberyl (the girl with pink hair, probably gets changed to Rasberry in the US version if it comes).
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
Re: Good news for us Strategy RPG fans. (douglas will love this)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:23:24 pm »
Yeah I knew about this already - this, MGS4 and the fact that Mass Effect/Dragon Age are supposedly coming to PC means I'll probably be getting a PS3 instead of a 360.  Since my PS2 is dead I need to grab one of those 60Gb ones for the backwards compatibility shiznit.  Oh well, that's next payday sorted :)
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:36:24 pm »
I guess then that you already know about all the new gameplay and plot stuff that's been announced. I hope Adell makes it into this game as a cameo. Speaking of which, I have a theory about his current character design. Someone at NIS must be a big fan KOF fan. His physical design looks A LOT like Adelheid Bernstein (down to his personality of craving fair fights) from KOF 2003/KOF 11. Just swap in a color scheme like Iori's and add in some Rock Howard inspired moves (new King of Beasts is similar to level 2 Shining Knuckle, Crimsom Flame is like one of his charging punch moves, Vulcan Blaze similar to Neo Deadly Rave) and bingo, you have Adell. Adelheid even has a younger sister with a long formal black and red dress and blonde hair named Rose (Rozalin is called Rosalyn or something like that in the Japanese version). Of course this is probably a big coincidence, but it is an interesting one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7CPlbE-xBI
Vid of Adelheid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ioT1VEQ24
D2 Opening.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:52:20 pm »
Well they sure went in a very silly direction with that intro.

Plus they are even copying Haruhi dance...

Looks neat though. I still love the new characters. But I really never like the generic extras. btw is Mao really a nerdy type?

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:16:38 pm »
Yes he is. He's fascinated by heroes, but in a mad scientist way as opposed to idolizing them. He seeks to understand how heroes beat overlords so he can overthrow his dad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9-1LG0C4jA&feature=related
Seems you can fuse allied monsters to your weapons for special team attacks. Tower attacks are now even crazier. Female brawlers are back with redone sprites, along with Baciels, Cockatrices and White Dragons. Succubi have new sprites. There's also some form of bloated undead demon to fight. Male samurai, those electric slug things, the wind wolves, zombie dragons, and male mages are back. New types of ships that Item Pirates ride in. Interesting tidbit, the song in the trailer has over 20 vocalists. Don't know how many vocalists were in the opening sequence, but I personally detected at least 11 different voices. The Japanese release date is 1.31.08.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:40:05 pm by magnum12 »

Offline eggFL

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:27:12 pm »
funny how the series goes to PS3 but not even all of the sprites are new. I guess that would explain why the game was released this quickly.

BTW thats a cool thing you posted about that Bernstein character. (I'd watch this clip though, as it's not a mugen/hack) He is instantly one of my favorite KOF characters. His fighting stance is cool. He definitely reminds me of Adell. Even their names are similar. I don't think that's a coincidence, personally. Nice find. (also this encourages me to go forward on my Street Fighter-influent Sonic fan characters >_> mwahahaha)

but hmm, so Mao seems like Laharl a sense. In that he's a crazed anti-hero. (with parent issues no less)

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 02:18:23 am »
BTW thats a cool thing you posted about that Bernstein character. (I'd watch this clip though, as it's not a mugen/hack) He is instantly one of my favorite KOF characters.
THAT BERNSTEIN CHARACTER!?!  Don't belittle Adelheid like that.  Especially considering there's another Bernstein.  I need to play XI again.

Also, nice to know.  Unfortunately, I need to finish the first, and I don't have the second.  Yes, I know they aren't related storyline-wise (I think), but I like to complete things in order.
Hi

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 03:56:19 pm »
BTW thats a cool thing you posted about that Bernstein character. (I'd watch this clip though, as it's not a mugen/hack) He is instantly one of my favorite KOF characters.
THAT BERNSTEIN CHARACTER!?!  Don't belittle Adelheid like that.  Especially considering there's another Bernstein.  I need to play XI again.

Also, nice to know.  Unfortunately, I need to finish the first, and I don't have the second.  Yes, I know they aren't related storyline-wise (I think), but I like to complete things in order.
Now would be a good time to get Disgaea 2 (takes place three years after the first one, so some of the extra bits of side quest plot won't make sense without the first one). The first one got an enhanced PSP port and the second one should still be relatively easy to get. A few elements of the opening cut scene in D3 don't make sense without completing the story and one side quest mission in D2.

Warning, major D1 spoiler ahead.

It seems Mao has two mid boss? style enemies to deal with. One sword wielder in yellow (who dresses and acts sort of like Vyers, aka King Kircheskoy) and some gun-toting girl in a black "dark cop" outfit. Mao is at the top of the Maritsu Evil Academy for doing such evil things as cutting class, showing up late, not doing random homework. Rasberyl is a delinquite because she always shows up early and does all of her assignments. This brings up the question of how are you supposed to learn anything if cutting class and not doing stuff is encouraged? *Gives Picard face palm to academy.*

-MAJOR Update.
http://www.otakuwiki.com/index.php/Disgaea3
This link contains everything we know about this game so far.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 04:58:47 pm by magnum12 »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 12:26:51 pm »
My main gripe is that these games (The Disgaea series) are all on either the PS2/3/PSP

Meaning I cant have them for free >_>

Then again I have vague intentions of buying a PSP for the SO remakes...
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 05:46:28 pm »
Do get that PSP. The PSP version of Disgaea is a terrific value. Several new missions, a new extra story mode, wireless (local) multiplayer, and a bunch of new record keeping options. I will give this warning. Leveling up healers is a real nightmare (you only get EXP for killed enemies) so you'd better give them mage students or equip them with bows. Also beware of promotion exams, as you will grow to HATE them when you have to do them for healers and rogues in order to transmigrate (need to be rank 3 to transmigrate). I can show you the hospital trick (not a bug) if you want to make promotion exams less painful. Axes and spell caster monsters are not worth your time. Bows have good skills but are very underpowered ccompared to guns (at its worst once you reach over level 1000). Most of the problems I mentioned (class balance, promotion exams existing, and weapon balance) are either vastly improved on (class and weapon balance) or completely fixed (promotion exams and reincarnation being reworked) in Disgaea 2.

Not to mention the PSP is a great system for strategy RPGs with FFT getting enhanced and the awesome Jeanne D'Arc coming out last year.

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 07:38:13 pm »
Not to mention the PSP is a great system for strategy

Looks like my PSP will have some use after all.
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 11:11:32 pm »
Oh sure, don't hide the spoilers so I won't accidentally lay my eyes on them with all this small text <_<

And don't you mean already enhanced FFT?  I've already got that game in my hands (though I won't play it until I get my own memory stick thing so I don't have to use my sister's).

And levelling healers being a pain seemed to be a problem in the PS2 version of Disgaea (I went the pupil route.  It's so much easier as far as I know.)

Oh, and nice to hear about more balance in Disgaea 2.  I like to have a variety (when I get it).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 11:25:53 pm by Taillow »
Hi

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 11:52:15 pm »
Here's all the balance changes I'm aware of.

1. Support spells (healing, buffs, debuffs) now give experience for casting them.
2. There are now black monster weapons that raise INT, making caster type monsters much more viable.
3. Ninjas are more fragile and have less counter ability, changing them from broken to balanced.
4. Guns have range 5 but can only shoot in straight lines.
5. Bows have base range 4 but get +1 range when used by an archer.
6. Lion's Roar is WAY cheaper SP wise.
7. Every class now has an innate passive ability.
8. Story characters have slightly weaker weapon proficiences and slightly lower base stats (not to be confused with stat growth proficiencies) but to compensate have considerably better class skills. Skills of note include "favored enemy" skills such as Adell's bonus damage against higher level foes, Laharl's bonus damage versus monsters, Hanako's reduced damage from monsters. Other class skills of note include Flonne's bonus to healing and Yukimaru's inflict ammnesia with normal strikes (that with her physical elemental attacks makes her the bane of any spell caster).
8b. Class skills can be improved through the presence of "____ Lover" item residents.
9. Majins got nerfed big. perhaps too big.

Just remembered something. I preordered the Japanese version of D3. I'll be sure to have a hands on report once I find some translations.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 11:11:09 pm »
I just got the game today. (Collector's edition with sound track and art book.) It's awesome so far. Some stuff I've noticed.

1. Axes so far seem to be much better. Their hit penalty seems to be gone so far with the first three weapons. They also get higher critical hit ratios than other weapons.
2. Passing bills seems to be a little easier than before. The classroom acts as dark assembly and home base all in one. BTW, Plenair takes you to the class now.
3. Elemental affinity is no longer randomized. It is now solely determined by class meaning everyone of the same class will always have the same affinity. Story characters also have elemental affinities and weaknesses. The new system is NIS' way of nerfing the Mage Knight, which was broken in D2 with the right set up.
4. Weapon skill ranks and rank based special attacks are gone. You now spend mana to learn spells and special attacks with your class being what determines what you can learn. Results in considerably less grinding.
5. Geo panels look REALLY obvious now as giant blocks. The color eraser panels (ones that end the chain) are now blocks with metallic borders.
6. Mao's play style (as indicated by his stat growth charts) is like a Mage Knight.
Rasberyl is an INT based monster character (just fought against her and checked her stats).
7. Team attacks and tower attacks are over the top with flashy effects.
8. You can now toss blocks to serve as platforms in some missions.
9. So far there are not as many AOE effects on weapons in general.
10. Weapons seem more expensive compared to D2. Armor is about the same price.
11. EXP gain seems to be a little faster. With very little grinding by the 5th map (one or two grinding fights), my party is mostly level 4 or level 5.

Print

Hits: 595 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.08 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.