don't click here

ITT SF4

Print

Author Topic: ITT SF4  (Read 38326 times)

Offline eggFL

ITT SF4
« on: December 06, 2007, 08:58:03 pm »

pretty cool.......

Is anyone else pumped?

First official gameplay trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29585.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:23:32 pm by eggFL »

Offline X-5

Re: ITT SF4
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:59:13 pm »
this is off topic

but, can someone please tell me what "ITT" means, I see it on alot of topic titles and i am tired of not knowing what it means.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 11:19:36 pm »
I used to think it meant "I think that"

but actually it means "in this topic" !

So you would make a topic and say (either in post or topic title) like "ITT pokemon" or you can mix it up and do it "pokemon ITT" to be cool. (edit: You can also use it ITT in a sentence.)

Also SF4 means "Street Fighter 4"
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 06:39:10 am by eggFL »

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:25:52 pm »
:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 05:37:32 am »
THIS IS 3D I WANTED HI-RES 2D
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 06:05:22 am »
Well, I guess i'm a little dissapointed that it's 3D, but as long as it has the gameplay elements that made the old SF games great, like zoning (which there seems to be a real lack of in 3D fighters) i'll be happy.
W€£ $€ÄÑ¥ ßÕ¥ 2K7 says: (11:10:17 PM)
my sis said she fancied EGGMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

W€£ $€ÄÑ¥ ßÕ¥ 2K7 says: (11:29:08 PM)
who knew u could bend water with plastic

Offline eggFL

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 06:38:29 am »
2D is a scam. I hope it's fully 3D, personally.

In any case, here is what the press release says:

Capcom is proud to announce the return of four classic "World Warriors" in Street Fighter IV: returning favorites Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, and Dhalsim. The characters and environments are rendered in stylized 3D computer graphics (CG), while the game is played in the classic Street Fighter 2D perspective with additional 3D camera flourishes. The traditional six-button controls for the game will return, with a host of new special moves and features integrated into the input system. Mixing tried-and-true classic moves and techniques with all-new, never-before-seen gameplay systems, Street Fighter 4 brings a brand new fighting game to fans the world over.

Everything that made the legendary Street Fighter II a hit in arcades, living rooms and dormitories all over the world has been brought to bear here, with even more surprises. With the inclusion of Capcom's latest advancements in new generation technology, Street Fighter IV promises to deliver an extraordinary experience that will re-introduce the world to the time-honored art of virtual martial arts.

Features:

* 2D/3D fighting environments
    * Classic Street Fighter characters re-imagined for a new generation of gamers
    * New special moves that go beyond any Street Fighter fan's wildest imagination
    * Amazing locations never seen before in a Street Fighter game
    * New gameplay elements provide new challenges for both newcomers and the most seasoned Street Fighter pro.

For more information, visit http://www.streetfighterworld.com

By the way, what is zoning?

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 06:43:42 am »
By zoning I mean stuff like using fireballs to control space.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 03:09:49 pm »
yeah, zoning is basically controlling the playing field with certain moves in which its hard for the opponant to move in on you.  Ryu's hadoken and shoryuken basically controlled a wide area of the field in SF2.

also I hope its 2-D all the way.  Also zoning is 3-D games being obsolete is probably due to side stepping sine you now have more ways of closing in now.  Also by these "new areas", I hoope they resemble SF3 NG's type of stages, but I have no clue what they would mean anyway on "never before seen"  I mean, the Alpha series had awesome stages and the 3 series did as well.

Also new moves and such I'm a little worried.  On 1 hand, they guys have had the same specials for a long time either redesigned in some way or tweaked a bit.  Same with their super combos.

anyway, they tried a 3-D game before (Capcom All-Stars?) and that failed with Japan and got scrapped.  I just hope the same thing doesn't happen with this.  Also it should hit arcades first wayyyyyyyyyyy before thinking about a console release.  I mean, we still have SF2 turbo HD remix.

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 03:52:54 pm »
Woot! It has been confirmed that the gameplay of SF4 is 2D. Here's the article from 1up.

Numbers are supposed to be impressive, right? Well, it's been 10 years, two hardware generations, and about 17,000 rumors since the last pure number Street Fighter came around. And today we have the first ever official details on Street Fighter IV.
We don't blame you if your eyes have already skipped down to the screenshot lower on the page (yes, that's from the game engine). Take your time. But we've got some information as well, so the rest of this is probably worth reading when you get a chance.

Though the screenshot doesn't answer this question outright, we can confirm that the game's graphics are polygonal but the gameplay is strictly 2D. There will be new moves, locations, and gameplay features, while the standard six button control scheme remains. Ryu and Ken return along with Chun-Li and Dhalsim, but beyond that the character roster is a mystery. And then there's the issue of what platform(s) the game will end up on, which at this point Capcom is keeping close to its chest (if you search 1UP's database, you'll find listings for arcade, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, but those are just guesses based on the graphical quality).

For the full reveal of the game -- including hands-on impressions, a rundown of the new gameplay system, and loads of details on new features -- look for the January 2008 issue of EGM in stores soon and hitting subscribers any day now. And then after you check the issue out, keep your eye on 1UP's Street Fighter IV hub page for ongoing coverage continuing into January.
Anyway, are you still reading this? Didn't you see the screenshot above? Click it and look at the larger version! All your friends are doing it...

BTW, attached is an ironic pic that describes my feelings right now.

Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 06:35:14 pm »
That 1up article is just regurgitating the info from the press release.

They might not even have a clue whether or not the gameplay is strictly 2D. =/

By zoning I mean stuff like using fireballs to control space.
yeah, zoning is basically controlling the playing field with certain moves in which its hard for the opponant to move in on you.  Ryu's hadoken and shoryuken basically controlled a wide area of the field in SF2.

ohh that! So when I spam standing strong punches as Necro, that's called zoning.

Zoning is awesome.

(same with the way Twelve players air glide back and forth liberally, etc)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 06:42:07 pm by eggFL »

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 07:04:05 pm »
Ryu's pleased to see someone, methinks ;)

Meh.  That screen is pretty crap tbh; for one thing the anatomy is all sorts of wrong, for another the artistic style is trying to be both cartoonish and realistic and failing at both, and for a third the backgrounds just looks rubbish.  Someone's thrown high-res textures and not so much artistic ability at this I reckon.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline eggFL

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 08:03:16 pm »
I have to disagree somewhat. Like, the personality from the background is closer to what you would see from a 2D game background than typical hi-res 3D. Compare Station Square in Sonic Adventure to Soleanna in Sonic06 and you might sort of see what I'm trying to get at. The key here is rounded edges, striking colors, and that storybook vibe. So I think they did at least a pretty great job so far. I look forward to seeing other stages though, ones that aren't so... garish, if you will.

As for the characters themselves, well Ken looks lame in these scenes, but the Ryu shot looks amazing. The art style seems very true to classic Street Fighter artwork. (yes, a mix of realistic, bulging anatomy and manga/cartoon style) If you think of this as in the same vein as Fighting Spirit / Victorious Boxers, or perhaps even Dragon Ball Z, then this is way better.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 10:30:08 pm »
ohh that! So when I spam standing strong punches as Necro, that's called zoning.
No, that's poking.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 10:34:18 pm »
but it's zoning too right?

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 12:35:53 am »
but it's zoning too right?
I wouldn't consider too many normals (on their own) effective zoning tools. I don't know what Necro's strong is like for memory, I should go turn on my DC and check. But generally, if you spam the same move over and over, it's going to get parried eventually and you're going to get punished (there's exceptions of course, like Akuma's dive kick in 2I). Not that i've played a good Necro player in real life.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 02:24:03 am »
oh well Necro is like Dhalsim, his punches go pretty far so it's kind of like throwing a projectile. (likely even farther than Chun Li's disappointing excuse for a fireball) Then he has a nice range of moves of course that can hit people jumping at you. (squat + MP is my favorite) But you're right, a good player would just parry me. (when I'm strong punching) But I'm usually far away enough that it probably won't result in any terrible consequence. I guess.

So anyway... which characters does everyone want to see in this game?

From SF3 I want Sean, Necro, Alex, Dudley, and Remy.

From Alpha I want Adon, Birdie, and Rose. And I'd also like to see Dan if he's a serious character this time around.
I also want Guy and Cody.. but I would be willing to hold off on them for when Capcom makes a SF with beat-em-up segments. Or maybe they should be in it, and fan interest would drive Capcom to add it in a future SF or at least make a meaningful revival for Final Fight. (not Streetwise)

Oh and finally from SF2 I just want T.Hawk, E.Honda, and Guile, though Guile mostly just for his stage.

I hate the thought of Remy and Necro possibly not appearing in this game solely because of Dhalsim and Guile. That would be just messed up. :P

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 02:45:04 am »
oh well Necro is like Dhalsim, his punches go pretty far so it's kind of like throwing a projectile. (likely even farther than Chun Li's disappointing excuse for a fireball) Then he has a nice range of moves of course that can hit people jumping at you. (squat + MP is my favorite) But you're right, a good player would just parry me. (when I'm strong punching) But I'm usually far away enough that it probably won't result in any terrible consequence. I guess.
Can't Necro take damage from being hit on the limbs though? Even if you stick out a dragon punch and it hits Necro's arm, he takes damage, right? Sorry, I really don't play as him/against him much (He's still damn awesome though). But anyway, his normals still aren't as good as zoning tools as fireballs are, because they give you the option to do something else at the same time. (For example, in SF2, Chun's fireball alone isn't going to do much, but when you combine it with jumping forward kick, you dominate most of the screen.)

Anyway, i'd love to see the return of classic SF2 characters like Sagat and Zangief. From the Alpha series, i'd love to see Sakura, and also the Final Fight characters from it like Guy. Alex and Dudley are probably my favourite SF3 exclusive characters, so yeah, it'd be great to see them.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 06:31:24 am »
I think zoning's more like keeping yourself safe while using moves that cover some part of the screen away from you or something.  I can't think of any Street Fighter examples.  Heck, I can only think of Magaki in King of Fighters XI, who is an EXTREME case of what I said.
Hi

Offline eggFL

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 08:17:20 pm »
I saw this comment on gamefags regarding SF4's lack of parry system

he also comments on Necro and zoning which is interesting.

Quote from: JinSol
Necro is not a good character, because he can't zone with his limbs like how Dhalsim was able to in SFII. Not only is Necro's limbs long, but they are easily parried and punishable...which is WHY he's not good. Remy would've been very good, however his charging projectiles aren't good because he can't zone with them, due to them being easily parried.

I've seen good Remy players do whatever they can to setup with their projectiles, only to get nothing for it because someone parries it. They are easily parried, much like how projectiles are almost completely useless outside of Ex-Versions. Why do you think there is almost Zero Long Range Game.

Remy being a Guile like character just outright kills him, due with the emphasis of Parry. Because it limits the tools that would've otherwise made him good. You talk as if "Parry" didn't affect the gameplay, yet it literally crippled the character variety we see in 3S.

Last I remember, you where talking about mind games, and the such, however, let me be very, very blatant to you now. Parry is not just a "DEFENSIVE" tool. It is also a Powerful offensive tool, because it can allow for a powerful turn around game with one single tap forward or down. If I pin you in a corner, and your Chunli, and you Option Select Parry one of my pokes and go into b.FpXXSAII or c.mkXXSAII. Not only did you save yourself from being pinned in the corner, but you've killed my entire positioning game with one single "right guess". That doesn't sound "defensive" to me, but offensive wouldn't you say?

The Parry is NOT just a defensive tool, it as an offensive and momentium shifting tool, that completely eliminates the stages of positioning down to 1-3 types of guessing. You call this better? Where as in Pre-SF3 games, that you supposedly played alot of, has 2034983290428 times more things in one situation then this.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 08:49:02 pm »
I'd define zoning as like playing the "distance game" by using attacks and tactics to keep your foes at some specific strike range that's optimal for that character. IIRC, the optimal range for Ken and Ryu to be at in SF2 was at or near the far end of their low fierce kick. From there they either back off or go for the kill as need be. Zoning is a vital strategy in Soul Calibur, defining how certain characters should be played. For example, Nightmare and Siegfried are characters that try to push foes away, keeping them at mid to long range.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 10:30:34 pm »
The most simple explanation for zoning I can think of is just "The ability to control space." With or without parries, normal moves by themselves will (generally) not be as good as fireballs because fireballs give you the option to do something else at the same time, and therefore control more space.

I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree with the gamefaqs dude. But, I think fireballs can still be useful in SF3. Personally I like throwing them while my opponent is waking up because even if it's parried, it still gives me options, and limits what my opponent can do for a short amount of time. Of course, EX moves do usually do the job better. But this is what I think based on my experience with SF3, if anyone feels they're a really good player and what i'm saying is rubbish, feel free to say so.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 11:51:42 pm »
Although with all this talk about how parrying breaks the game...

very compelling arguments

I thought parrying in SF3 was super genius design... but now I'm glad it's going away! >_<

(I don't actively use parrying when I play seriously, but it's cool to me that it was there, and how it can easily happen on accident)

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 12:48:32 am »
IMO, parrying both takes away and adds to the game. It just changes the strats you can use. Fireballs aside, I can only really use parrying as a way to punish people who are too obvious; if you're getting parried all the time, it says alot about your mix up game. Once again good SF3 players can say i'm wrong with this.

EDIT: Thought i'd add that because of how parries effect the gameplay, I liked them because they made SF3 a bit different, but I also don't want them staying. I also thought of them more of a side step for the series then an advancement.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:04:04 am by UninspiredUsername »

Offline eggFL

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 09:15:23 am »
by the way I did some research on Street Fighter EX series. Turns out a lot of the characters are generic or just plain awful. However, it also has three awesome ones:

Pullum
Cracker Jack
Skullomania

If only they can be in SF4. If only.

edit: apparently they can't, since Capcom doesn't own them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 01:38:43 am by eggFL »

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 12:39:39 pm »
the EX series was pwn, just so underrated because it was 3-D.  They just kept getting better and better IMO.

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline eggFL

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 12:03:20 am »

new info from EGM:

- this game is SF2-centric. The producer wants as many SF2 characters to return as possible and he wants the game to appeal to casual SF fans. The game takes place before SF3.

- Ken and Ryu's muscles/veins move in real time under their skin.

- The game will have damage modeling and bruised/beaten up characters in the middle of a fight.

- The gameplay is completely and strictly 2D with a fixed camera angle. The camera only changes during certain super and ultra attacks.

- EX attacks are back from SF3, the game will have super attacks of course, but also ultra combos (which are essentially EX super attacks)

- there is also a Revenge gauge that fills as you take damage. Pressing both strong punch & kick does a revenge attacks which consumes 1/4th of the gauge. You can charge up a revenge attack to make it stronger and unblockable, which consumes 3/4th of the gauge.

- Producer is very clear that he wants the game to come out on as many systems as reasonably possible. No exclusive deals.

- The game is very early in development and may not even come out in 2008.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 08:20:31 am »

Why am I so pig American-like in appearance?

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 12:16:48 pm »

Pointless game feature of the century!
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline eggFL

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 01:30:10 am »
Why am I so pig American-like in appearance?

It's part of the style.

Apparently, the game is intended to appeal to Japanese's perceptions of muscled western characters.

Pointless game feature of the century!

It means then when they punch or get hit, their skin will move. I think it's cool.

graphics, man

REALISM

Print

Hits: 460 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.23 MB | Time: 0.24s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.