don't click here

What are YOU planning on getting for Christmas?

Print

Author Topic: What are YOU planning on getting for Christmas?  (Read 153916 times)

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Re: What are YOU planning on getting for Christmas?
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2007, 11:14:58 pm »
We opened stockings today, and I got more stuff!

1) An exorbitantly large candycane the size of a billy club. I don't even like candycanes though! Tragic.
2) Acne face wash...even though I don't have acne?
3) A reading light that comes with a pen. Why would they package these two things together?
4) A chocolate cookie in a tin. Arbitrary.
5) Hand sanitizer. I think I'll create a strain of highly virulent bacteria immune to conventional antibiotics, starting with those found in hand sanitizer.
6) A heating pack. These things are great.

I am annoyed that I got acne face wash and not Guitar Hero 3. I'll keep everyone updated on the status of this clerk situation; I'm taking a trip to the store tomorrow.

Anyways since almost everyone got games for Christmas, I say we all keep track of our progress through these games here and how we find them. That would be GREAT.

In Contra 4, I can clear the first three levels on hard fairly consistently. The first level I can breeze through without dieing, aside from something freak like getting stuck with a bad weapon, or dropping through a floor by mistake. The second level is only hard in the beginning really, but I keep losing lives there. Those lizards come onscreen too quickly to snipe them individually so the ground is dangerous, and you can't just hang on the ceiling while the zombies explode. The waterfall section afterwards is easy enough though; you just need the spreadshot and it's a matter of simple platforming. Level 3 is a base level, and those are always easy. Whereas level 4 is some insane level I can barely handle on the Easy difficulty. There's a section where you need to scale a catwalk while being attacked by a large swarm of bird robots, with powerups scattered throughout the area. Eventually you climb onto a nuclear weapon, and a robot starts trying to punch you off the rail you're climbing on. To dodge him you need to jump off the rail to the right, and move back quickly. His attacks are really fast though, and I can't beat him on hard since I almost always die and lose my weapon.

I've played easy twice; the first time I got a gameover on level 4, which has some absurd platforming section where you have to jump from rung to rung on the nuke while dodging missiles. I'm in the middle of my second run, and I'm on level 7 with 6 lives and 4 continues; iirc this is the last level Easy mode can reach. Normal I haven't touched, but it seems the next logical step.

As for the game itself, I have few complaints. It's a solid Contra experience...it doesn't arbitrarily differ from what made the games good to start with. I do have some nitpicks though. The default gun is too weak for my liking, and dieing removes your equipped weapon; if you die at the wrong time you're pretty much guaranteed a gameover since it takes too many hits to down things. I'm also not a fan of the weapon change system...there's a reserve slot for an extra weapon, but it starts off equipped with the default gun. To keep a reserve weapon you need to switch guns, leaving you vulnerable to enemy attacks. This wasn't a problem in previous games since the default gun wasn't balls, but now it's hard to defend yourself in the meantime. There's also the problem of not being able to fire while climbing, which has caused me a ton of deaths...but I think this was in other Contras too, so my complaint isn't exclusive to this game. And, and, and! It's very easy to fall through floors by mistake because almost every floor can be passed through, and the command to drop through floors is jump+down. I've had bad moments where I've tried jumping and firing straight down, only to fall through the floor and die.

However it is still a pro game and everyone else needs to get Contra 4 so we can talk about Contra 4 and how great it is.

EDIT: Magnum posted while I was writing. OH SNAP, YOU HAVE CONTRA 4 TOO! How far can you get and on what difficulty? Let's compare high scores.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline F-Man

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2007, 12:36:53 am »
I got $150. :O

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2007, 02:21:48 am »
     I got some clothes and 20$. My parents are trying to get the wii and Guitar Hero 3 for me but getting that wii is hard =/.
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2007, 03:21:03 am »
So far I've gotten to stage 3 on Normal. That Tyranid like boss in stage 2 seems to be weak against the laser weapon. Killed it before it got to use its platform grab move and then just after the second form's first barrage of shots. I love the practical joke the game plays on you with the first boss. It's been years since I've had a serious Contra session so I'm rusty. The normal gun just sucks. The R weapon is more like the default weapon you get in Contra 3 (good times). Never knew that bit of history regarding Super C and avoiding scandal. Oh yeah, forgot to mention Trauma Center: New Blood. Just got to the infamous Pacemaker mission that made. one of the EGM reviewers gave up on after two days of playing.

Today I assembled/primed my Basilisk, Grey Knights and Hydra flak tank.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2007, 08:59:13 am »
I tell ya, Christmas here is such a bore.  There's no festivities or anything, and barely anything's on schedule.  So far I've gotten Super Mario Galaxy and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (I didn't expect more than $50 spent on games from one parent, so that's something) and a $25 visa card I'll probably use to get something from the bargain bin (which was unexpected, really).  And I'm assuming I may get $100 more, but I'm not certain about that.

I miss the festivities.  Though I once again realized I'm not fond of old-fashioned home-cooking.  Also, when's the last time I had a stocking?
Hi

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2007, 04:26:19 pm »
So far I've gotten to stage 3 on Normal. That Tyranid like boss in stage 2 seems to be weak against the laser weapon. Killed it before it got to use its platform grab move and then just after the second form's first barrage of shots. I love the practical joke the game plays on you with the first boss. It's been years since I've had a serious Contra session so I'm rusty. The normal gun just sucks. The R weapon is more like the default weapon you get in Contra 3 (good times). Never knew that bit of history regarding Super C and avoiding scandal.

No boss has a set "weakness", each weapon does the damage it would normally do. The laser is an absurdly strong gun though, so it knocks bosses out very quickly. I forgot to mention that they toned down the Flamethrower bigtime, and there's no reason to pick it up anymore because it doesn't do the damage it once could. Shame! The laser, spreadshot, machinegun, and homing are powerful as ever though, which is good.

I'm getting better at the game...I cleared Easy last night and have been playing Challenge mode. The last challenge I cleared was 'Rematch 1'. Apparently almost everything is unlocked by playing through challenge mode...I've unlocked the original Contra and Super C.

I gave both a few playthroughs, but I'm rusty. I can't get very far...in Super C I can't beat the second level, in Contra the third, which is funny since I used to be able to clear the games with almost no difficulty. My playtime between the three games included will be spread thin. Seriously, this is a solid amount of raw game.

I found out the name of the game clerk (the store was GameStop by the way) who advised my parents against getting GH3...he was fired for being a smartass. He told a customer they had poor taste in games so the manager canned him...this after several warnings from his supervisor. No compensation from the store though, which is a shame. If any of you know anyone named 'Jeff' then I wholeheartedly encourage you to give them hell. Undoubtedly if we target every Jeff, we'll stumble upon this one eventually.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2007, 06:04:37 pm »
MY NEW MONITOR IS FUCKING AWESOME.

I'd get an action shot of me making out with it (BECAUSE GOD KNOWS I WANT TO) but unfortunately neither my arm nor my trust in my housemates extends far enough to allow it. This will have to do.

As soon as I can figure out how to actually get the old hard drive in my laptop out of its tray to replace it with the new one (fucking screws are too tight) MY VICTORY WILL BE COMPLETE.

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2007, 06:00:44 pm »
O_o damn thats huge..

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2008, 10:11:44 pm »
Revival!

I'm getting The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii version), money and probably a box of chocolates. :D
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2008, 10:47:30 pm »
As it stands right now, I'll be hoping to pick up Unleashed and a new DVD recorder.

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2008, 10:51:21 pm »
I will get a Wii and the right games for it if it's the only thing I get >:(
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2008, 11:19:39 pm »
I've gotten some great things already throughout the year.  maybe 1 or 2 things I want, but that's it.

-waffle iron
-boondocks season 2 dvd
-maybe an album
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2008, 01:21:07 am »
Waffle iron what <_<
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2008, 07:57:32 am »
If my kid brother has ANY sense, then I'm getting Sonic Unleashed from him.  Really.  It's the only thing I've even asked for.  If he has a good deal more sense than that, he may convince my parents to pick up an old copy of Shadow.  I've also mentioned Mirror's Edge here and there, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple of Gamecube games now that we finally have a system to play them on.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2008, 08:25:41 am »
I already know what Im getting, from my parents anyway~

1 Terabyte External Hard Drive~
Doctor Who Season 4~
New headset~
Earphones for my phone~

Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2008, 10:25:01 am »
Hahahah... I can't believe anyone remembered this topic..but anyway...

1. Xbox Live Gold Membership
2. 20GB Hard Drive
3.MAYBE Sonic Unleashed
4. ??? (Still Deciding)
5. ??? (Still Deciding)
6. ??? (Still Deciding)

Offline Eis Makai

• The Icy Coyote
  • TSC: Iceman
  • winvista msie7
  • An icy coyote! Or is it ;)
    • View Profile
    • www.lavadomefive.com/forum
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2008, 12:53:02 pm »
1. Sonic Rush for DS
2. Sonic Chronicles for DS
3. New Super Mario Bros. DS
4. Naruto: Path of Ninja 2 DS
5. Naruto: Ninja Council 3 DS
6. Naruto: Uzemaki Chronicles 1 and 2 PS2
7. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics for DS
8. Xbox 360
9. Sonic Unleashed for 360
10. Call of Duty 4
11. Halo 3
12. Grand Theft Auto 4
13. PS3
14. Motorstorm 2
15. MGS 4
16. Gran Tursimo 5 (Full version)
17. Kirby Super Star Ultra for DS
18. Dragonball Z: Infinite World for PS2
19. Super Dragonball Z: PS2
20. Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm PS3
21. Naruto: Rise of Ninja for the 360
22. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

BIG LIST, most I won't be getting (PS3 and Xbox360) hopefully I save enough for a 360 or PS3.
Eis Makai is the Icy Coyote. Sumaru Star is the Ice Dragon. I own the Ice Planet!

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2008, 03:39:15 pm »
I hope to get Persona 4 and Castlevania: Order of Ecclasia for Christmas this year.

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2008, 07:14:55 pm »
Seeing as my sister's using most or all of any Christmas money she gets on a 360 with Tales of Vesperia (And I'll have to pay off the remainder), I dunno what I'll be getting.
Hi

Offline Donna

• Sonic Deconstructionist
  • TSC: donnashowl
  • winxp chrome
  • Don't give me hOPs unless I earned them!
    • View Profile
    • Donna's Blog - Found the Computer Room
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2008, 08:14:38 pm »
There are rumors on the internets that I'm going to be getting a Nintendo DS (the ice blue bundle) and either Pokemon Pearl or the Sonic RPG from either my 'rents or my boyfriend. Aside from that, I'm counting on lots of cheap token gifts of an uncomfortably feminine, why-can't-you-be-girly nature from the rest of my family. Also, as far as I know no one's gong to get me an expletive deleted cake. I just want a cake. Is that too much to ask?
-Donna, the crazy English major
I don't want your stinking hops!

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »
I just want a cake. Is that too much to ask?
Yes, it is.  You can only get a cake if you are incinerated.  You will be baked, and then there will be cake.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2008, 09:30:16 pm »
A couple possibilities:
-Dragon Quest IV
-Disgaea 2
-Katamari Damacy
-We Love Katamari
-Taco Bell gift cards

I probably won't be getting them all, but oh well. Hopefully I'll at the very least get some Taco Bell gift cards, as it's by far my favorite restaurant to eat.
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »
Aside from that, I'm counting on lots of cheap token gifts of an uncomfortably feminine, why-can't-you-be-girly nature from the rest of my family.
Heh.  Hilarious.

Also I didn't notice until later that this was an old topic.  That I posted in, no less.
Hi

Offline Donna

• winxp chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2008, 11:48:00 pm »
Heh.  Hilarious.

It's not as bad as it used to be, back when I was single. Still, they'd never get me anything I really want, like a replacement for my broken SA2 disc. :(

And Minus, Re: the cake. My birthday's Boxing Day. I don't even get a cake :(

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2008, 12:04:23 am »
Oh that's lame. You should get a cake -and- a box. :(

As for what I'm getting... I am hoping to get World Tour. So what I've done is, I've taken matters partially into my own hands and bought myself a Wii Points card. So I'll be getting myself Mega Man 9 :D and some GHWT downloadable content with the rest. (For the record: Smashing Pumpkins. Nirvana. The Eagles. Fucking yes.)

I am also hoping to get a new wallet and a new watch, both of which I can guarantee I will have lost by March.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Donna

• winxp chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2008, 04:45:54 am »
As for what I'm getting... I am hoping to get World Tour. So what I've done is, I've taken matters partially into my own hands and bought myself a Wii Points card. So I'll be getting myself Mega Man 9 :D and some GHWT downloadable content with the rest. (For the record: Smashing Pumpkins. Nirvana. The Eagles. Fucking yes.)

I am also hoping to get a new wallet and a new watch, both of which I can guarantee I will have lost by March.

I hope you get it! Also with the watch and wallet. And I feel you, I don't know how I mangaed to hold onto my wallet as long as I have... and I don't know where my watch is. (Haven't lost a purse yet though! Goodness knows I have enough of them, what with my family trying to stepford me).

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2008, 08:58:43 am »
I totally approve of your avatar
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Donna

• winxp chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2008, 12:00:27 pm »
I totally approve of your avatar

Mine? Thank you. Supatemp!

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2008, 12:25:38 pm »
I also hope I get a Sentinel or two. (A Sentinel is an Imperial Guard bipedal mech similar to an AT-ST). Man, I'm so close to completing my 8000 point Imperial Guard/Grey Knight army. All I need is a total of 6 Sentinels (over time of course), and some planes.

I feel sorry for you dood. Your parents need to accept that there's nothing wrong with a girl liking guy stuff. If you REALLY want to toy with their heads, I suggest getting into WH40k (Orks as they're the most macho faction ever) or some other really macho/nerdy hobby. For the DS, you can't go wrong with Disgaea (though its not for everyone) and its wacky game play (complete with fighting inside a world contained in a piece of cotton candy), acid tongued/snarky humor complete with ultimate zombies (don't ask), and irresistably cute Prinnies (winged penguins that blow up when you throw them) dood.

Offline Alondite

« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2008, 12:35:46 pm »
well, here's my wish-list, semi-in order

- Samsung Series 6 LCD HDTV 22" Widescreen (my room is not big enough to warrent anything bigger...and I hope nothing that outputs above 720p as of now, but my DVD players does upscale)
- Castlevania Judgement (yeah, this sounds fun >_>)
- Sonic Unleashed (Wii)
- Another nunchuk add-on
- Wanted DVD

That's about it really heh.

Print

Hits: 1,148 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.34 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.