don't click here

RUMOR: Wii follow-up?

Print

Author Topic: RUMOR: Wii follow-up?  (Read 27629 times)

Offline KnucklesSonic8

RUMOR: Wii follow-up?
« on: November 11, 2007, 03:31:09 pm »
http://gonintendo.com/?p=29197

This raises the question:
Will it be a Secret Rings sequel or an entirely new Sonic game with a whole new story? I'm hoping for the latter.

Anyway, it's good to know a new Sonic game's alreayd in develop't.. even if a Wii version hasn't been confirmed officially (although I think it's safe to say that they won't rule a Wii version out, or even a Wii exclusive for that matter).

SEGA Superstars Tennis was already a great announcement (especially since I'm extremely fond of Mario Power Tennis; imagine how much better it'll be when playing w/ the SEGA cast.. maybe even Big.. hopefully... and Billy Hatcher) and to hear that another one is in progress is somewhat heartwarming. :)

Just thought I'd share.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline eggFL

Re: RUMOR: Wii follow-up?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 08:56:54 pm »
SEGA Superstars Tennis was already a great announcement (especially since I'm extremely fond of Mario Power Tennis; imagine how much better it'll be when playing w/ the SEGA cast.. maybe even Big.. hopefully... and Billy Hatcher) and to hear that another one is in progress is somewhat heartwarming. :)

Just one problem. Sega Superstars Tennis will be a Sega game... not a Nintendo game. If only it could be Mario Tennis but with Sega characters.

Then again Sega DID make Virtua Tennis... but that doesn't mean any of that will translate to the new product. And it's not as if Virtua Tennis is that great a game.

Anyway, I look forward to this true Sonic game.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:08:17 am »
If it will be for 360, me too. It it will be for Wii, no thanks.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline eggFL

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:54:23 pm »
Well I was gonna say that they really should make it for 360. (and maybe PS3) People bought a console for Sonic06. (myself included) They sadly managed to divide the fanbase across all three consoles. Like maybe it wasn't their fault. But whatever. They can choose to make the next Sonic multiplatform or they can choose not to. I dunno.. but if they don't... what the hell. Cause it would mean a whole lot if they did.

At least PS2 games can be played on PS3. (unless you bought the scam version) But there is the doubt that the PS3 owners buying the PS2 version are getting jipped here. And it still doesn't offer a version for Xbox owners.

It it will be for Wii, no thanks.

Well if it's good, I would covet it regardless. If it's a serious attempt at a true 3D Sonic and not an ugly spinoff.

Well here's what... if they make it on Wii only... they MIGHT make it on PS2 like they did with Zero Gravity. And then I would at least be able to play it.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 03:31:32 pm »
I know what you mean eggFL but if I didnt borrow MPT from my friend a year ago, I wouldnt be AS excited about SST (funny how that's TSS backwards if you know what I mean) as I am now, especially that its on the Wii (I like 360 and all but it cant compare other than grfx which I don't care extremely for anyway).

Did I mention: online play. No, no leaderboard dumbness. I mean simultaneous online play... at least for 360/PS3 its confirmed. Doesnt mean Wii vers. wont go Wi-fi, which would make it a lot better in appeal and overall longevity.

edit: Amy, Dr. Eggman confirmed as playable as is a Super Sonic transformation.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 03:45:49 pm by knuckles_sonic8 »
Wiiloveit

Offline eggFL

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:59:46 pm »
I was never in my post talking about Sega Superstar Tennis.

*cries*

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 04:35:17 pm »
In your first one, you were. XD
Wiiloveit

Offline eggFL

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 04:52:29 pm »
oh.. I forgot about that

Offline Stardust Speedman

• Jorn del Judici
  • TSC: Siavash Tazari
  • win10 chrome
  • That beautiful Lady in my avatar is my wife! Yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 02:50:17 pm »
Here you can read how I wish the next Sonic game to be. I had wrote this in the idea topic already, but since nobody cared, I copy it here again, since I think it is a good idea:

Sonic the Hedgehog Odyssey (PC, X-Box 360, PlayStation 3) - Idea from Stardust Speedman (Siavash Tazari) for Sonic Team (maybe + Dimps, but no other f*cking compay) to develope

This is a 3D Sonic action-platformer, only playable as Sonic.

Each of the seven Chaos Emeralds have shattered into seven peaces. Sonic must collect all the peaces and restore the Chaos Emeralds in order to prevent Eggman from world domination. This is the longest adventure Sonic has ever gone through!

Game Modes:
1. Story Mode
2. Replay Mode
--- 1. Replay Story Levels
--- 2. Play a Special Stage
--- 3. ??? (Later unlocked: Play as Super Sonic)
3. Time Attack Mode
--- 1. Attack Story Levels
--- 2. Attack Special Stages
--- 3. ??? (Later unlocked: Attack as Super Sonic)

There are seven worlds, each containing three Zones and a World Boss. Each Zone consists of two Acts. Each second Act features a boss at the end. The bosses in the Acts are local, while the World Bosses are always on the move. That means the World Bosses can be Sonic-Advance-2-style, or like Sturdust Speedway's Sonic vs. Metal Sonic, or like the boss at the end of Labyrinth Zone. The World-Boss-levels should usually take as long as other Acts in the game normally do.

Each Act, even the World Bosses, can give access to a special stage. That means each world has seven Special Stages. If you beat all Special Stages of a world, you restore a Chaos Emerald. Each of the Special Stages in a world have a different Style. The seven styles are as follows:
1. Sonic Heroes style
2. Sonic the Hedgehog CD style
3. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Mega Drive) style, but in 3D. - I know, this would be very hard to do, but it should be possible.
4. A Special Stage with the SegaSonic the Hedgehog gameplay and level-design.
5. Knuckles' Chaotix style
6. Sonic Advance 2 Style
7. In the style of Sonic & Tails 2's 2D Special Stages with a boss at the end, but all in 3D.
Restore all Chaos Emeralds to be able to play the last two levels, which are playable as Super Sonic.

How to enter Special Stages: There are seven Special Rings in each Act and World-Boss-Level. These are either well hidden or hard to reach. To enter a Special Stage, you have to collect all Special Rings in an Act in one run-through and finish the Act. However, unlike Sonic Advance 2, you do not lose any of the Special Rings you have collected when you lose a life. After entering a Special Stage for the first time, you can replay it as often as you like in Replay Mode.

Like in Sonic Rush, you have a Tension-Gauge, which you can fill up by performing tricks. Use your Tension-Gauge to perform a Super Boost. Works exactly like in Sonic Rush. The shield system from Sonic 3 & Knuckles is back: There are different types of shields, each one protecting you from some specific sorts of attacks. Each Shield also gives you an additional special action.

At the end of each level, even at the end of Special Stages, you get a rank ranging from C to S. Collect the S-ranks in all 100 levels to be able to play as Super Sonic in all Zones and World-Boss-Leves. Super Sonic will have his own game mode, so his record stats can be viewed individually. You will not be able to play any Special Stages as Super Sonic. When playing Super Sonic's mode, you first have to collect 50 rings in order to transform into Super Sonic. afterwards, if your ring-count reaches zero, you will transform back to Sonic's normal form.

A good rank also gives you Continues: Collecting an A-rank gives you a Continue, while an S-rank gives you three.

Special Rings are worth alot of score. So, if you are running for a highscore, be sure to collect Special Rings on the way.

When you start Story Mode, you create a profile. Whenever you leave the game, your progress will be saved automatically in the EXACT state you left the game; so, you can save the game in the middle of a level. However, if you run out of lives, you have to start the world you are in all over again. Continues let you play from the beginnig of the level you went Game Over in with 3 Lives. (Check-points will not be used by Continues.)

In the last two Levels, you start the game as Super Sonic and 50 rings. If you run out of rings, you imidiately lose a life.

There are no additional missions for any of the levels.

Although your time-, ring- and score-records are saved in Replay Mode, you may still want to try out Time Attack Mode: In Time Attack Mode, you have to try to beat a level without dying. The advantage of playing in Time Attack Mode, is that you can save a Ghost Data, like in Sonic R, Sonic Rush and Sonic Riders.

Here is a list of all levels:

World 1
Zone 01 - Based on: Dry Lagoon
001. Act 1
(002. Special Stage: Sonic Heroes style)
003. Act 2 (Including Boss)
(004. Special Stage: Sonic CD style)
Zone 02 - Based on: Mystic Cave Zone
005. Act 1
(006. Special Stage: Sonic (MD) style)
007. Act 2 (including Boss)
(008. Special Stage: SegaSonic Gameplay style)
Zone 03 - Based on: Marble Zone, Under Ground Zone, Hill Top Zone, Lava Reef Zone, Volcano Valley Zone
009. Act 1
(010. Special Stage: Chaotix style)
011. Act 2 (including Boss)
(012. Special Stage: Sonic Advance 2 style)
013. World 1 Boss
(014. Special Stage: S&T 2 2D Special Stage style with Boss)

Sonic finds a passage leading to a beautiful, green place with some cool lakes for Sonic to wash off his sweat in. After going through that hot lava cave, he has well deserved it. Ruins of an ancient civilization are scattered all over the place; even on the bottom of the lakes.

World 2
Zone 04 - Based on: Aquatic Ruin Zone
015. Act 1
(016. Special Stage: Sonic Heroes style)
017. Act 2 (Including Boss)
(018. Special Stage: Sonic CD style)
Zone 05 - Based on: Marble Garden Zone, Lost World, Angel Island Zone (Sonic Advance), Chaos Angel
019. Act 1
(020. Special Stage: Sonic (MD) style)
021. Act 2 (including Boss)
(022. Special Stage: SegaSonic Gameplay style)
Zone 06 - Based on: Rusty Ruin Zone
023. Act 1
(024. Special Stage: Chaotix style)
025. Act 2 (including Boss)
(026. Special Stage: Sonic Advance 2 style)
027. World 2 Boss
(028. Special Stage: S&T 2 2D Special Stage style with Boss)

An ancient, magical object teleports Sonic to a dream world.

World 3
Zone 07 - Based on: Cristal Egg Zone
029. Act 1
(030. Special Stage: Sonic Heroes style)
031. Act 2 (Including Boss)
(032. Special Stage: Sonic CD style)
Zone 08 - Based on: Sleeping Egg Zone
033. Act 1
(034. Special Stage: Sonic (MD) style)
035. Act 2 (including Boss)
(036. Special Stage: SegaSonic Gameplay style)
Zone 09 - Based on: Spring Yard Zone, Spring Stadium Zone
037. Act 1
(038. Special Stage: Chaotix style)
039. Act 2 (including Boss)
(040. Special Stage: Sonic Advance 2 style)
041. World 3 Boss
(042. Special Stage: S&T 2 2D Special Stage style with Boss)

After Sonic is done with the 3rd World Boss, he jumps on a spring which shoots him out of the dream world, into a water palace.

World 4
Zone 10 - Based on: Water Palace
043. Act 1
(044. Special Stage: Sonic Heroes style)
045. Act 2 (Including Boss)
(046. Special Stage: Sonic CD style)
Zone 11 - Based on: Labyrinth Zone, Aqua Lake Zone, Tidal Tempest, Aqua Planet Zone, Tidal Plant
047. Act 1
(048. Special Stage: Sonic (MD) style)
049. Act 2 (including Boss)
(050. Special Stage: SegaSonic Gameplay style)
Zone 12 - Based on: Chemical Plant Zone, Hydrocity Zone
051. Act 1
(052. Special Stage: Chaotix style)
053. Act 2 (including Boss)
(054. Special Stage: Sonic Advance 2 style)
055. World 4 Boss
(056. Special Stage: S&T 2 2D Special Stage style with Boss)

Sonic rolls down a long ramp which turns into a BINGO table further down.

World 5
Zone 13 - Based on: BINGO Highway
057. Act 1
(058. Special Stage: Sonic Heroes style)
059. Act 2 (Including Boss)
(060. Special Stage: Sonic CD style)
Zone 14 - Based on: Night Carnival
061. Act 1
(062. Special Stage: Sonic (MD) style)
063. Act 2 (including Boss)
(064. Special Stage: SegaSonic Gameplay style)
Zone 15 - Based on: Collision Chaos
065. Act 1
(066. Special Stage: Chaotix style)
067. Act 2 (including Boss)
(068. Special Stage: Sonic Advance 2 style)
069. World 5 Boss
(070. Special Stage: S&T 2 2D Special Stage style with Boss)

Between all that colision chaos, Sonic gets shot way high into the Sky.

World 6
Zone 16 - Based on: Sky High Zone, Altitude Limit
071. Act 1
(072. Special Stage: Sonic Heroes style)
073. Act 2 (Including Boss)
(074. Special Stage: Sonic CD style)
Zone 17 - Based on: Star Light Zone, Stardust Speedway
075. Act 1
(076. Special Stage: Sonic (MD) style)
077. Act 2 (including Boss)
(078. Special Stage: SegaSonic Gameplay style)
Zone 18 - Based on: Final Rush, Final Chase, The ARK, Space Gadget, Cosmic Fall
079. Act 1
(080. Special Stage: Chaotix style)
081. Act 2 (including Boss)
(082. Special Stage: Sonic Advance 2 style)
083. World 6 Boss
(084. Special Stage: S&T 2 2D Special Stage style with Boss)

Sonic finally enters Eggman's gigantic base in the outer space.

World 7
Zone 19 - Based on: Techno Base
085. Act 1
(086. Special Stage: Sonic Heroes style)
087. Act 2 (Including Boss)
(088. Special Stage: Sonic CD style)
Zone 20 - Based on: Wacky Workbench
089. Act 1
(090. Special Stage: Sonic (MD) style)
091. Act 2 (including Boss)
(092. Special Stage: SegaSonic Gameplay style)
Zone 21 - Based on: Scrap Brain Zone, Gimmick Mountain Zone, Metropolis Zone, Metallic Madness, Gene Gadget Zone
093. Act 1
(094. Special Stage: Chaotix style)
095. Act 2 (including Boss)
(096. Special Stage: Sonic Advance 2 style)
097. World 7 Boss
(098. Special Stage: S&T 2 2D Special Stage style with Boss)

Restore all 7 Chaos Emeralds to play the last two Levels.

099. A Level only playable as Super Sonic
100. A Boss Battle only playable as Super Sonic
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:41:30 am by Stardust Speedman »
There is no sense crying over every mistake! You just keep on trying till you run out of cake!

Offline eggFL

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 02:56:45 pm »
We should create a new Sonic game ideas topic in Wikkity.

Also we would encourage everyone to rate each game idea and give suggestions.

• Jorn del Judici
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 07:08:08 am »
Well, EggFL, that is a nice idea. The problem is just that noone really cares. I will be very glad though, if you rate my idea and give suggestions. ~^
There is no sense crying over every mistake! You just keep on trying till you run out of cake!

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 09:03:39 am »
Too freaking long.

Nobody wants to play a game as long as that if you just have the same goal the whole way through.

• Jorn del Judici
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 10:47:49 am »
Hi Seaking!

The thing is, Sonic Games are usually short games, but they try to extend the play time by adding tons of extra missions. A sonic fan who loves Sonic games, especially if he also likes to improve his records, usually spends more than 100 hours on a Sonic game, or at least on a 3D Sonic game. Now, I thought, why making the game so short and using the replay value as an excuse? It is much better to have a long game without extra missions. That offers alot more variaty. I know, I still have A-Ranking and unlockables in my game idea, but that is only for the freaks anyway. Most players wouldn't bother and just play through the story. But at least this time they have a much deeper game which will be much more worth their money. After all, Action Adventures usually used to offer about 40 hours of gameplay for the story. I know Sonic is a Jump 'n' Run and no Tomb Raider The Last Revelation, but I think its wrong to think that Jump 'n' Runs must be kept short, because they always used to be short. As long as the level design will be varied enough, I think everybody would love a long Sonic game. After all, don't most people complain each time a new Sonic game has yet again only 7 levels, which just repeat them selves in a way?

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 12:01:35 pm »
Actually that's one of the only things they never seem to complain about.

And if the seven levels of most of the games "just repeat themselves" then how is having 21 of them going to improve that? I fail to see how these levels are any more varied than those in any other Sonic game (especially given that you could only describe them in terms of what previous levels they're like).

However much a small group of people are willing to replay levels in order to perfect them, the crucial factor is that that part of the game is entirely optional. If you have a game whose obligatory portion is as big as that (and doesn't have a really engaging, twisting plot structure to guide the player through, which this idea doesn't as Sonic is just questing after the same items the whole way through, not to mention that's not ever been Sonic's strong point) then most people just won't care enough to play through it.

Sorry if I seem like I'm being mean, but if you put an idea like that out then expect people to criticise it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:15:48 pm by Seaking »

Offline eggFL

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 03:41:40 pm »
Sonic games have some of the best replay value around and I think that definitely should be kept. It's not the extra missions but score attacking. Extra missions are fine too though but the bulk of Sonic replay will be getting those A ranks. Also there's nothing wrong with relying on it because after all it is that good. Some games rely on replay value some dont, it depends on the genre. RPG's are so long that you beat them once and its over but shorter games have more options and challenges after that to compensate. This is Sonic's strong suit.

However I also think there's no reason that Sonic games shouldn't be much longer. Sonic's controls + level geometry make a fun game so there's no reason they can't crank out huge stages and make a product bursting at the seams with content and playtime. I mentioned this in the old topic too.

Like SA2 would have been tons more popular and aged much better undoubtedly if it had at least twice as many Sonic/Shadow stages. And like I said there's no reason there couldn't have been three times as many. And Sonic06 has only nine stages which is downright insulting. No reason a Sonic game from now on should be any shorter than Heroes. Of course the longer the better. The only thing that needs to be balanced is stage length. Long game = good. Long stages = might be annoying. I think a simple solution to this though is to break a stage into acts with the ability to save in between them.

Anyway, ST what I dont like about your idea is that it seems pretty generic. Also it adheres a lot to ideas from previous games like tension gauge, special stages, and shields, which seem pretty pointless. A lot of the stages seem repetitive. Also I would dig some more story. The worst part is the idea of making special stages based on previous games. (especially in 2D, bleh!) The best part of the idea is that it's Sonic only, it's long, so it's basically a solid idea. Plays it very safe but that's not too bad since Sonic Team never plays it safe enough and could be a really good game if it has good music and graphics.

Years ago I had an idea for special stages that take place in Nights stages (as there are exactly 7 stages in Nights) but you would play them as Sonic with normal 3D Sonic gameplay. But I changed that idea since then. (some of my older ideas have aspects that even I consider a little cheesy, but in time I evolve them or scrap them altogether) I decided that the special stages would look like 3D blueprints of the city. So it would have a psychadelic Rez-like feel to them and everything except Sonic/enemies/objects would be wireframe. The idea is that Sonic is looking for where the Chaos Emerald is located in the city by using this virtual reality map. The twist is that once he gets the emerald in the game, he gets it in real life.

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 05:19:44 pm »

Sonic the Hedgehog Odyssey (PC, X-Box 360, PlayStation 3) -

This is a 3D Sonic action-platformer, only playable as Sonic.

FAIL

With that long of a game, the other characters should get a shot as being playable. Also, the Wii exempt players will not be able to play it. The sonic franchise has many characters that can fit into practically any situation (>.>), leaving out any character will tick off the fanboyz. There is always a middle-ground that has to be found when producing each game. These two factors can make a difference.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 10:27:57 pm »
Yea there's no reason not to add some extra characters. Every playable character essentially doubles the length of the game. (if it's handled like Heroes and Sonic06 in which you can play all levels with each) Doubles the length of the game without taking any away from Sonic. That's HUGE. Not to mention that it adds variety and is a good story element. Plus it's really cool in itself.

And one of my game ideas didn't even have a story yet it STILL had tons of playable characters. The idea was that the story forced you to use less characters. So I believe that playable characters are even more important than story. But this community showed me that a story is a must anyway - that everyone actually does in fact want one to be there. And I agree. A context to things makes it more compelling. (maybe I should revisit the idea but add a story to it.. only I dont care about that idea that much anymore)

Also, the Wii exempt players will not be able to play it.

First things first. How would Wii players control the camera?

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 02:25:22 am »

First things first. How would Wii players control the camera?

The Wii will always find a way.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 04:23:30 am »
More like wii owners will not care regardless.

This is why I was thinking all multiplatform games should be PS360 games first and then ported. Because Wii owners aren't in the business of caring about this stuff. PS360 games might actually have a chance on selling on the PS360, but Wii owners will buy it since it has Sonic on the name. (e.g. Mario Sonic Olympics)

But then again maybe that's common logic. Because they say "lowest common denominator" when talking about multiplatform games. But that's not true as we all know. Developers just work for the best system and make the weaker system's version of the game suffer. And if not then it's good because... PS360 owners wouldn't buy a PS2-quality game for their system.. but a Wii owner would love a PS360-quality game. You know?

Anyway... like... all future Sonic games.. or at least the PS360 ones... simply must have have the jump button mapped to shoulders like Marble Blast for Xbox 360 does.

And that's the depressing part. There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't be like that.. but you know they're not going to do it that way. It's gonna be the A button. Arbitrarily hindering our ability to control the camera and ruin the dream of a more enjoyable, progressive 3D action game experience that simply can't be done by Wii games or shooters or games that use 15 buttons.

Because Sonic06 might as well have done it this way but they didn't just as the game had 100 other problems and hairbrained design decisions. It's scary to think how big of a turnaround Sonic Team requires in terms of workmanship. I wish I can go back to two years when I actually believed that Sonic Team were competent game makers.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 04:58:25 am »
I could nto play a platformer where you jump with a shoulder button. It just feels wrong. >:(

Offline eggFL

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 05:44:51 am »
=/

Also another thing they should do is make Sonic built-in with magnet shield already.

Like in SA2 I think I see where they were going from that point on.. like oh this is how players are going to get rings from now on.

But since then it has only caused a ton of problems and has never felt completely not glitchy. And always ruins the flow of your movement. (ring dashing generally causes you to stop) And Shadow is the only game that remotely came to a solution to the "light dash + magnet shield" catastrophe.

My old idea in the game ideas topic.. rings come toward Sonic automatically if you get really close. And light dash rings are a different color.

What's so wrong about different color rings anyway? I'm sure there have been games with different color rings but I can't remember them if they exist. Is there any reason rings that come out when you get hit aren't a different color. Rings that are made for light dashing should be a different color as well. But in Sonic06 they are all yellow so you can't tell without trial and error. Tails's ring bomb rings are yellow. Wouldn't it have been cooler and way less confusing if they were grey or red?

• Jorn del Judici
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 08:48:54 am »
That's perfectly fine, Seeking, that's what I expected.

The thing is, usually in a Sonic game you get like 7-14 stages which you then will have to play through several times, by using different characters, in order to finish the story. I am not talking about the optional stuff here. In Sonic 06 for example, as EggFL already mentioned, you only have 9 levels which you have to play through 3 times, just with different characters. Now, it is not that bad, since the abilities of each of the three main playable characters are very different and make for a different game experience. What I had MUCH prefered though, was a Sonic only game with 3 times as much Sonic stages, provided the levels are varied enough and well designed. Sonic has the most fun gameplay anyway and he is the main reason why one would buy a Sonic game. It's not like I don't like the other characters. I love Sonic characters (exept for vector, big and charmy)! I think it is defenately a good idea to have those characters beeing involved in the story and unlike most other people, I also have apsolutely nothing against new characters, as long as their characters are well developed, like Blaze, Silver and Mephiles. It only makes the Sonic Universe richer, which is in my opinion one of Sonics strong points. But, I'm really missing a Sonic only game with more levels. Sure most people love more playable characters, but for me their just an excuse for avoiding creating more varied and creative levels. I never enjoyed the gameplay of other characters as much as Sonic's and I always wished those games were Sonic only, but with more levels. All that matters is the level design. As long as the level design is varied and fun enough in each stage, everyone should love additional levels. The thing you are probably missunderstanding about my game idea is that you may think that I am suggesting to make the Zones just like previous Sonic Zones/Stages. Thats not the case. When I say "based on", I mean they could use good ideas from those Zones/Stages for the looks and gimmicks for a new stage, but that doesn't mean they couldn't add or change any ideas. The levels I have chosen for my idea are very varied and this game could turn out to be the most varied Sonic game ever, provided that the levels design will be really that fantastic. Most of all, there will finally be underwater stages in a 3D Sonic game. I'm so much craving something like the Labyrinth Zone from Sonic 1 in 3D! Anyway! You may say Sonic and the Secret Rings is already a Sonic only game, but the problem with that game is that it has, yet again, only 7 real stages. Granted, some of the extra missions are long enough to be concidered as complete stages, but there is still a lack of variaty in environments and number of real levels. One of the major Strong points of Shadow the Hedgehog was that it was Shadow only with 23 long stages in 13 different environments with pretty varied level design. Each couple of stages had its own unique feel to it. Now better than that would be a game with Sonic only and 21 Zones, each with 2 acts, making for 42 Levels, a long Super-Sonic-exclusive level, 8 long-lasting Boss fights and Special Stages. That's my dream! ^.^ The only thing that I have to admit is that I'm really overdoing it with the 49 Special Stages, and I know there are a lot of people who hate them, but this is only because of my love for Special Stages. ^.^"

About the story, of course the story and its presentation should be as interesting as possible to encourage the player to play through such a long game. I didn't really develope a full story idea here, it is just the base of it. Sonic Team them selves could then get themselves a professional story-writer and develope a full story. ~.^

EggFL, I totally agree that replay value is big in Sonic and that is one thing that makes Sonic so awesome. However, as you mentioned yourself, it's the A-ranking, Time Attaking and ring collecting that adds so much replay value, not the useless extra missions. All that is also provided in my game idea.

About the idea beeing too generic, well I think there is nothing wrong about reusing good gameplay elements from previous games and put them together in one game. If you add some completely new gameplay elements to it, then it is of course even more awesome, but even if you don't people would love your game, as longs as you have chosen the right gameplay elements from previous games and have fantastic level design. In my opinion, level design is what matters most. The principal Sonic gameplay is already the most awesome thing ever. What mostly devides a good Sonic game from a not so good one is in all front the level design. Back to the first point, I think having a tension guage,  shields and Special Stages, all in one 3D Sonic game would be awesome, especially because you never had them in a 3D Sonic game before, exept for the Special Stages in Heroes. I would especially love the tension guage. Only problem with that is that it needs very precise design decisions for the contorls and level design to make this feature fun in a 3D Sonic game, which could be somewhat hard to do, but it is definately possible. About the special Stages, I don't whant any of them be in 2D. Even the ones based on Sonic 1 and S&T 2 should be in 3D. But you are right, of course it is better to have completely new ideas for Special Stages instead of reusing them over and over again. Thats what I always wanted anyway. Thing is just I dind't spend time in this game idea on developing ideas for new Special Stages.

About your Special Stage idea: To be honest, I don't really get it. v.v Sorry! I don't really understand what you mean by "The twist is that once he gets the emerald in the game, he gets it in real life.". Also, it seems to be quite slow-paced. It could still be a lot of fun though.

Sorry, but I disagree with you, Torchic. The reason why I decided the game to be not for the wii is because I want a game with truely next-gen graphics and also there is no need for wii controls. Button-mashing works much better for Sonic anyway. A port to the wii, just to make wii-only players able to play the game, could be done later, but thats pretty pointless. It would make muc more sence to port Sonic 06 to PC and had made much more sence to develope Sonic Rivals for the DS right from the beginning. In case of Sonic Odyssey, there would be just very few fans in the near future who would have not a PS3, NEITHER a 360 and NEITHER a good enough PC. In case of the PC version, you would be able to reduce the graphical properties in order to make the game able to run also on not so high-end machines.

As for multiple playable characters, please read what I have already written. As I said, I would inclued them in the Story though (non-playable). If fans are so desperate for more playable characters, they could be in there as unlockables, but not as part of the story mode, since playing the same levels 10 time over and over again, just for the story, isn't much fun.

PS at EggFL: I have a wii, but I would NEVER EVER buy Mario Olympics! That is the worst game EVER!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:29:05 am by Stardust Speedman »

Offline eggFL

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 02:44:00 am »
Like, nobody is arguing that Sonic isn't the best character. But you have more characters for the sake of variety and for their coolness. It's an awesome thing to have in itself. Removing this element is by no means a good idea. Even Megaman X lets you play as Zero. It was a great decision and it took them more than long enough to implement it. It increased the game's coolness and appeal twofold. It's bold. It's cool. It's fun. Not to mention it makes the game literally twice as long. Even S3&K had this. I say it's simply a must to have at least one other playable character in the story.

Yea more stages is good. Sonic06 should have had more stages. (I mean, nine? are you serious?!) But that doesn't mean Silver and Shadow should have been taken out.

Also all of your stages are based on an older one. That's scary. I don't like that personally. Like unless they are different enough and are only so vaguely based on the older stages, in which case the reference is arbitrary. Many of the best 3D Sonic stages were fresh. So even Sonic Team does better than play it safe. We didn't ask for Radical Train or Hang Castle or Crisis City. Sonic Team expanded the horizon. So nothing is too cool to be a Sonic stage. Where are your cool ideas? Besides, your lineup is severely lacking in trains, ghosts, and castles. Very bad for me since I love those the best. You just list generic staples... a very bland lineup. Pointless to go through all those old level archetypes without going in detail and even leaving out plenty.

Like you could say "but they would be good and done well, so the game would be good" but then for the sake of this topic at least let's see some more detail beyond: "based on Aquatic Ruin"

Like Hydrocity remake could have gothic lamps and could be a flooded underground Venice or Rome or D.C. With some atlantis-like elements like maybe cryptic switches that redirect water flow and changer water levels like in Lost World.

^ like that. I think?

I think having a tension guage,  shields and Special Stages, all in one 3D Sonic game would be awesome, especially because you never had them in a 3D Sonic game before, exept for the Special Stages in Heroes. I would especially love the tension guage. Only problem with that is that it needs very precise design decisions for the contorls and level design to make this feature fun in a 3D Sonic game, which could be somewhat hard to do, but it is definately possible.

Nonsense. It would require minor tweaks that's all. There's nothing complicated about any of this. And the simpler approach is generally the better one IMO. It's not that this stuff needs to be made just right, but just whether or not putting them is a good idea. I am saying why? Just because they are in the 2D games? :( IMO shields and gauge make Sonic look ugly because they cover him with energy. But sure maybe the abilities could add fun to the game. But not even all of them. Like fire shield is already obsoleted by homing attack.

By the way you know what isn't obsoleted by homing attack?

Motorcycles.

Anyway some pics:

"Ghost World" like Flame Core mixed with Kingdom Valley mixed with Pumpkin Hill. Basically like Pumpkin Hill but with castles and fewer/no pumpkins. Or Flame Core with castles and no lava. Or "dark world" version of Kingdom Valley. Eerie quiet music and gates that close on you. It's not really supposed to be night, but if you are able to see the moon in the pale-colored sky, that works.

Bottom pic makes it look a little cartoony but you get the idea for this stage.

"Extreme Pinball" a massive pinball table. The pic doesn't make it look large enough. This is a giant maze of pinball tables and pinball-related obstacle courses as part of a game/reality TV show. Glass walls and ceilings may appear throughout the stage revealing the city and/or desert around it. This may be in fact a stage with no music but the music comes from the pinball set itself and may change in volume on your location and change music tracks altogether depending on what themed section of the stage you're in.

Crow Wolf. (inspired by Godly-Effect's "Shade the Wolf") He is a wolf. He has a thing for crows and crows are naturally drawn to him perhaps because he has a vampire demon spirit living inside him which haunts his soul.

Lance the Hedgehog. A vain hedgehog prince who came from the past and uses a gauntlet containing a blade and some other cool powers.

Crow using his power (a giant ghostly demon hand that copies his actual right hand's movements) to derail a train in this rail yard stage.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 02:59:10 am by eggFL »

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 04:45:51 am »
I planned something similar to your Ghost World thing for my hack. >:O
Though quite different...

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 04:51:03 am »
Ghost World?  Remind me to never ask you for sonic level names.

And if there's playable characters, I'd suggest Tails and Knuckles.

Maybe Amy *shot*
Hi

Offline eggFL

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 05:56:16 am »
Ghost World?  Remind me to never ask you for sonic level names.

Ha! If you want fancy names, here are some others I had thought of at one point or another: High Range. Gorilla Base. Crisp Crossing. Freight Gadget. Final Hour. Gothic Garrison. Treasure Cove. Cola Factory. Dust Mill. Blast Processing. Last Resort. Marble Gallery. Capital Hill. Genesis Caves.

Not all names have to uber clever though as we all know there are tons of very painfully straightforward ones using vanilla words. (Green Forest.. except that sets up for White Jungle, which is in fact not white, and therefore a very cool name for the level O.o) Ghost World pretty much sums up the level perfectly I think (as Sonic is literally transported to the land of wind and ghosts for that one stage) so I think it works. Plus it's cute.

• Jorn del Judici
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 09:32:07 am »
Sorry eggFL, but I still disagree about having multiple playable characters for the story, especially if they are going to be playable in the exact same levels. You could say, OK, then make up their own set of levels, but you know, a game cannot last forever and be ages in development. That's why multiple playable characters usually get to play the same levels and, while some people may think that's still cool enough, I just have to disagree. I still think it is a good idea to have multiple playable characters in a Sonic game, but they just shouldn't be part of the story. It's similar to the Chao thing: They weren't part of the story, but you had to deal with them if you wanted to unlock Green Hill in SA2. And HELL, what big pain were they for me!!! I ABSOLUTELY hated them! Then again, lots of people absolutely loved them, so it wasn't a bad idea to have them in the game. In fact, it was awesome! But you just shouldn't have been forced to raise them in order to unlock any content that is not in relation to the Chaos themselves. Same goes wth playable characters. Why should I force anyone to play through the same levels with multiple characters, when I can have a deep enough story with Sonic only? I think you would hardly have a chance to ever change my mind about that. I'd still have them as unlockables, though. Like...

...Each time you get all S-Ranks in a World, you unlock a new character, which can then be played in all the main 42 Stages.

List of unlockable characters:
World 1: Tails
World 2: Amy
World 3: Knuckles
World 4: Shadow
World 5: Rouge
World 6: Blaze
World 7: Silver
Stage and Boss with Super Sonic: Metal Sonic

As said already in my original game idea, you can also unlock Super Sonic by collecting all 100 S-Ranks.

Like unless they are different enough and are only so vaguely based on the older stages, in which case the reference is arbitrary. Many of the best 3D Sonic stages were fresh. So even Sonic Team does better than play it safe. We didn't ask for Radical Train or Hang Castle or Crisis City. Sonic Team expanded the horizon. So nothing is too cool to be a Sonic stage.
I agree! Thats exactly one thing that I so love about Sonic Team, that they are never afraid of trying something new and even, for some people, bizarre. Unfortunately, that's exactly what most people don't seem to be able to appreciate, especialy those narrow-minded ones who think that only classic is good and what is not classic is shit. As for my game idea, something that you guys seem to misunderstand is that it's just merely the base for a much more complicated game idea. It is by no means a full design script. I could spent each day a little bit on planning how each individual stage could look and play like and would definately want to make each stage as fresh and creative as possible. But then again, I see no reason why I should do that, since this game is never going to be made anyway. I have much more important things to spend my time with right now. But I like your suggestions for Aquatic Ruin Zone. I also really like your sketches for the environments. Not so sure if I like your Characters, though. I might still like them if I could see how they were for real. Overall, I think you could be a good games or level designer.

Just one more thing about about the stages, there are actually a few stages in my list that I wouldn't necessary want to change, but just want to play them in 3D. Like Wacky Workbench. Hell, I LOVE that Zone! Or, as said earlier, I would love to finally play a fully underwater stage in 3D, even if they reuse just old ideas. Recreating them in 3D is already the fresh thing about them, as long as they are really fun to play.

As for shields, not all of them have to be exactly the same ones as in S&K. There could be a lot of completely new ones. I think having them in a 3D Sonic game is a perfect idea, since they give the player a lot of experimentaion possibilities and make the gameplay deeper. As for tension guage, the reason why I said it could be hard to implement in a 3D Sonic game is: Having the same fastness and perfect flow as when you use your boost in Sonic Rush in a 3D Sonic game, without making the whole level feel like it's designed on a steight line and taking away many of the exploration possibilities a 3D game could give you, is something that requires some skill to design, both in terms of controls and level design. It is not hard to ad a tention guage in a 3D Sonic game, but the question is if it is going to be fun and wont sacrifice any other cool feature the game could have.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
Hi

Offline eggFL

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2007, 11:10:35 pm »
You could say, OK, then make up their own set of levels, but you know, a game cannot last forever and be ages in development.

IMO It's cooler to play in the same stages as Sonic. Giving everyone their own stages somewhat ruins the point of being a different character in the first place.

And either way the extra characters still give more pizazz to the story.

A Sonic-only story being good? Really? But if you say so.

As for tension guage, the reason why I said it could be hard to implement in a 3D Sonic game is: Having the same fastness and perfect flow as when you use your boost in Sonic Rush in a 3D Sonic game, without making the whole level feel like it's designed on a steight line and taking away many of the exploration possibilities a 3D game could give you, is something that requires some skill to design, both in terms of controls and level design. It is not hard to ad a tention guage in a 3D Sonic game, but the question is if it is going to be fun and wont sacrifice any other cool feature the game could have.

If it requires skill for making the controls right, then that's no problem because you make Sonic control well once and you will have it for the entire game. If it requires skill for designing every single map in the entire game then that's generally not a good thing to add. Plus I think it doesn't require skill, just a good method.

Sonic maps, you should have lots of options and branching paths but nothing is "hidden". That's the best way IMO and then speed isn't even much of an issue.

I had an idea for Sonic to be able to create dash plates right in front of him and it uses a meter. Now that I think about it, that is a lot like a tension gauge.

Not so sure if I like your Characters, though. I might still like them if I could see how they were for real.

Really? hmmm... well I think they might be better if I draw them better. I tried a little more this time.

imo this is pretty ideal. If you don't like him still, I guess we will agree to disagree!

How about this? This is all right. He could look less snobby in this pics, but that is a side of him. His flowing trail of hair is one of the striking aspects about him. (including that unlike the other hedehog he has only one "spike" of hair, not 2-6) But the hair could perhaps be a bit more slender. Maybe.

Lance uses magic cards with various abilities including summoning enemies. Lance uses a card that transports Sonic to the ghost world. (but he doesn't count on Sonic to find a way out on his own!)

new stage:

"Aquapolis" an underground mass plumbing system. Even though it's underground it is almost like a city and you can see very far and there are some tall structures and very high ceilings. Even though it's underground and entirely off limits, there are cage fencing throughout the decks making up the stage that connect underwater sequences to each other. The cool part is that you can see other parts of the level, but you don't know at all how to get there. Nothing is a direct path in this stage, you have to just keep progressing and you will be led there eventually. Sonic will have to swim and change the water flow and water level. Music may be like Lost World Knuckles in terms of feel.

edit: oh and the stage is actually blue, grey, and silver, and maybe some small touches of green mold/discoloration as a detail.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 12:35:08 am by eggFL »

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 06:23:10 am »
ACTUALLY I REALIZED MY IDEA IS NOTHING LIKE GHOST WORLD EXCEPT FOR THE CASTLE SETTING

And egg those drawings rock. Lemme guess, the final boss in Aquapolis is Mario. >_>

Print

Hits: 1,249 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.26 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.