don't click here

Advance Wars By Web

Print

Author Topic: Advance Wars By Web  (Read 17577 times)

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Advance Wars By Web
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:39:19 am »
http://awbw.amarriner.com/

ITT we organise a massive AW game whereupon everybody gets totally pwned. It supports up to 8 players per game :O

Who's in?

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Re: Advance Wars By Web
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 09:41:23 am »
Salamander
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 02:17:05 pm »
I want to play it.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 03:40:43 pm »
We tried this once before over chat and it went to hell pretty quick, but maybe the forum will give it the staying power it needs. Count me in on this, I've been meaning to crack a few skulls.

What do we think are fair rules? I'd imagine that the 'broken trio' will be getting banned, along with Sturm and...others who I can't think of. All units fair game. Fog of war, for my sanity, turned off. Sound good? I won't make the game though, we should agree on a map beforehand.

Oh and Advance Wars DS 2 confirmed to have online play. Yaaaay.

1) genus (genuspecies)
2) yse (?)
3) RPG (?)
4) CF (?)

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 04:56:07 pm »
I demand FoW turned on for the possibilities of mindfucking.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 07:24:46 pm »
I have never played a [blah] Wars game in my life. Not even seen gameplay or known anything about it, except that it is turnbased strategy warfare.

ergo, i will be crap, but play anyway... if I have time... which I probably won't.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 08:11:22 pm »
I only own the first advance wars. I've played the second and third one a bit, but I'm not too familiar with them (especially the third)

regardless, this does look like fun, but count me out for now, I'm going to be way too busy this week

would love to get in a game sometime though

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 07:04:01 am »
What say you to a game this weekend?

Also anyone else can join in if they want :o

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 10:38:14 am »
Mebee

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 12:40:51 pm »
oh ma god

mike is one post away from 1337 status

:O

EDIT: And I am 6 posts away from lucky status!

EDIT 2: oh, also, yeah I would be interested in a game this weekend because I don't think this weekend will be too busy for me.

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 11:46:53 pm »
I'd like to try a game.  I registered as Yosh.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 04:48:17 am »
Okay we have (as officially as can be) officially determined a start time.

We're going to start the game at 10pm GMT Friday.

This translates to:
9am Saturday for me
5pm Friday on the US East coast
2pm Friday on the US West coast (yoshifan has indicated he has no problem with this scheduling)

In case somebody else ends up starting the game, the agreed rules:
-Free for all (with potential for in-game diplomacy >_>)
-Fog of War on
-Unlimited turns (I'm not sure why this is even an option)
-All COs legal (unless someone has a pretty compelling case against, I can't see the point in blocking a few when clearly a few others are going to take their place)
-All units legal
There's a couple more but I forgot them :/ It's okay, that's the main stuff.

Also leet no more :(

<3 Thorn.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 03:25:13 pm »
I'm in. But all CO's enabled? At the very least we should ban Sturm, Nell, and Hachii...and maybe even extend the ban to Colin, Grit, and Sensei (if it's a small map).

POINT BY POINT

Sturm-The ability to cross terrain without losing movement spaces in conjunction with his offense on steroids, and his amazing (albeit slow charging) CO Power is too much to counter. Sturm's just broken...unless it's snowing. But who the hell plays as Olaf?

Nell-There is the potential for serious hax with Nell, since she has the ability to luck kills that you normally wouldn't expect. I remember her CO powers being brutal as well, accentuating the luck factor and taking away a fair portion of skill from the game.

Hachii-The potential to spam Neotanks and Bombers after only 3 stars of his CO Meter are filled is broken. We're talking about all units accessible for 45% of what most other CO's pay...his Super CO Power is also overly powerful since he can capture some cities near the enemy and flood them with units.

Colin-Colin's banned because he can pull crazy stunts with money. If he builds up for a double gold rush, then saves up for "Power of Money", his units can be up to...I think 200% average unit strength. When your tanks are as powerful as Neotanks, there is something wrong.

Grit-His CO and Super CO powers, in conjunction with his allready powerful indirect units, give him absurd range. If he gets enough indirect units to cover his base, then you can't get to Grit.

Sensei-Mechs spawning on every captured city on the map? In a small level this is huge, and lets you stopgap other units on bridges.

Anyways...what map will we play, and what should we set the password as?

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 07:17:01 pm »
I used to go there when I was a complete loser / noob online... I remember that FEBW gig when it started up, everyone hated me because I stole their items XD...

I'll join in on the fun again under the username of PsyBorg lol.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 07:53:24 pm »
http://awbw.amarriner.com/percent.php

If this is accurate, then Sturm has 80% offense and 120% defense in AWBW, so I don't really think he'd be broken.  His powers (check the AWBW CO info chart) and movement may still make him fairly powerful, though.

If it's agreed that some COs are broken or too overpowered, we could just leave them open for any less experienced players.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 02:38:51 pm »
AWBW has an odd Sturm...I could have sworn his offense was much stronger than his defense.

Anyways, we agreed in chat that we'd all be allowed to play one of the "broken" CO's...though the better players should avoid staying away from Nell and co. since they'd absolutely massacre.

I've created a room for discussing the game, #awbw. I'll look for a suitable map, asking the experienced users on the forum which are more fair for this sort of game...if anyone shows up we can assess its feasibility for 5 players (unless someone else joins...it'd be awesome if we could pull of an 8 player).

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 03:11:57 pm »
Whoa, good thing I checked this thread just now to see what time the game is planned for...

...though shame I am out tonight sozguys.

Have fun k.

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 05:13:04 pm »
The game has been created; come into the TSC chat for more info.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 11:10:09 pm »
I volunteered to sumarise the action of our match for those unable to play (hi CF), and so that's what I'm going to do. We got through 7 days of play before RPG got too tired to play. Here's the matchup:

mike89 (Eagle, Orange Star) vs. genus (Colin, Blue Moon) vs. Yoshifan (Javier, Green Earth)vs. RPG (Rachel, Yellow Comet) vs. Nile (Adder, some red country) vs. Psyborg (Sturm, Black Hole), in that turn order, on the map 3-Ring Circus with Fog of War on.

FIGHT TO THE DEATH

For now, not a lot's happening that anyone can see...later on I'll get into describing things day by day, For the moment, though, it's not worth it. At the moment I can only accurately describe what I've done, and that would leave me somewhat exposed...you're not getting that big a picture of what's going on.

We're all building our armies up at this point, and preparing to launch our offensives. There are no doubt master plans being cooked up as we speak, and secret alliances forged. We may all well be behind Yoshifan, though...judging from their CO Power bars, he's allready attacked a fair deal of Nile's units. We're talking more than standard tank-gets-lucky-and-stumbles-upon-recon-in-the-woods action...I mean, their Power Bars are just huge, which Yoshi dealing all this damage on his last turn. If logic tells me anything it's that he's a step away from taking the newcomer's base, which doesn't rest well with me...that's a whole section of the map to himself. He could take naval bases and such at his leisure, and none of us would be able to stop him. Personally I don't want Yoshifan being the first one to own the waters...I suggest players closer to him (I'm looking at you RPG) take action.

Oh wait a second...that's not summary! That's common sense.

Here's a summary:

Drawing first blood, Yoshifan mowed down a few of Nile's units while everyone else and me twiddled our thumbs. I haven't gotten in any scuffles with PsyBorg yet, and RPG and Mike are probably too busy killing each other to come anywhere near me...so it's the same on that end. From what I gathered with my intelligence, PB is just sitting there and letting funds collect, saving up for heavy-hitting Neotanks and the like. Mike said in chat he's spotted units...I think he's invested heavily in recon. RPG has said absolutely nothing, so I only assume he's taking a mobile route and capturing properties like manic. Yoshifan probably set up a strong offensive front to storm Nile, who's never played AW before so most likely doesn't know what he's doing.

More to come.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 11:29:06 pm by General Throatstomper »

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 09:35:00 pm »
The weekend is just about over, so it'll probably be pretty slow going for the next few days.  Still, I don't want to hold anything up unexpectedly, so I'll post approximate times that I'll be at school for the next week (in my timezone, US Pacific time).

Monday, 9:30 AM - (7:00 PM or maybe 9:00 PM)
Tuesday, 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Wednesday, 2:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Thursday, 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Friday, 2:30 PM - 5:00 PM

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 09:55:03 pm »
Hm...I'll post my schedule too.

But first let me keep interested parties abreast of recent developments in this trivial war!

PB and I were fighting over a few territories middle-map, and it was riveting! I managed to capture some bases first though, and have held him at bay...aside from the cities immediately surrounding his base, he owns just one property, a naval port on the inside straight I missed.

My intel tells me RPG's tanks are in my area, which is unsettling to a point. He's probably ready to launch a fullscale attack on me.

Scuffling continued between Nile and Yoshifan as well, charging Nile's co meter. He now has access to Adder's CO power. But he's Adder.

The game's currently stalled out, as we're waiting for PB to take action.

More important than anything said so far is this tidbit of dialogue in #awbw, which Mike accidently let drop.

<mike89> blahblahblah ok RPG move one of your tanks it's in my way

I lost the exact quote, but Mike is working together with RPG. We may all soon be routed by half of the quadrinity. Which would be a shame.

Schedule (GMT)
Monday: 9:00 PM-12:00 AM, I'll be on sporadically after that.
Tuesday: 8:00 PM-12:00 AM, once more erratic playsessions possible.
Wednesday: No reliable time for availability. It depends on someone else, you know?
Thursday: 8:00 PM-12:00 PM, again I can come on at weird times.
Friday: 8:00 PM-all night. No joke!

I HOPE YOU DO

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 12:59:44 pm »
SHAMEFUL DOUBLE AND HALF NECROMANCING POST

PsyBorg decided to be an asshole, and refused to take his turn because he was going to get soundly thrashed. For a solid week, he kept coming in to chat and leaving as soon as someone brought up AWBW. He's claiming it's because his chat client somehow launches by itself, and then connects to surrealchat without further prompting. He's saying he closes the window immediately, not noticing we've set off his highlight, which is just a heap of LIES. There's also this one connect session wherein he was active until seconds after I messaged him asking whether he was going to continue playing in the game. Minutes later he disconnects with his nonstandard quit message.

Yesterday he came back to say, more or less, "well I was going to lose so I figured I would quit". Because PsyBorg is an egotistical douchebag who can't stand the thought of anyone outperforming him in a game of intellect. He made such a big deal over how good he was supposed to be, and didn't want anyone seeing him live down to that. Looking back, he did the same thing every time someone beat him in Mario Kart-he'd make these lame-note excuses as to why someone beat him, and get upset when they did.

I even stood up for Psy, I did. When he didn't take his turn, and hadn't been on for a few days, we took a vote as to whether we wanted to boot Psy. I convinced everyone to give him time, that even though he was taking a long time to finish his turn, he would soon enough and we weren't giving him a fair shake. And then he does this. He resigns, and a solid week later. When he could have resigned the very day he quit the game, saved us all the effort of waiting. We pretty much had 8 people willing to jump in to another game when he walked away, but didn't start another, figuring he would take his turn, and if he chose to give up, he would have done that much sooner. But he didn't, and decided he wouldn't even own up to the fact he sucks, running away from running away. Because he's a punk. Everyone would do well to leave the chat, or begin idling, when he joins the room.

Enough about people you shouldn't associate with. We created a new game, 'Psy is Dumb', on the map Cesaro's Island, fog of war on, and it's going to get rolling soon. For players we have:

genus vs. Achlys vs. yse vs. Yoshifan vs. Graphyte Ronin vs. RPG vs. Sondow vs. Nile

CO/Country details to follow when the match begins.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 01:07:22 pm »
er... no.

He said he had to work on projects, and an AWBW game is nothing when real life barges in.

It did look convenient, though.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 10:03:38 pm »
This is a momentous occasion.

For the first time in TSC, an AWBW match has finished.

MY GOD.

A summary of the game, as best I remember it, will follow, but those without the patience for a glossy narration can see the full replay here.

Sondow (Orange Star, Andy) vs. Genus (Blue Moon, Sami) on the map A simple 1 vs. 1, fog of war on.

So I was against Sondow in this map, and I figured I would play Sami because Sami is an amazing CO when used properly. Sondow played Andy for...some reason. I'm not sure what, really.

So this match gets a-rolling, and I realize off the bat there are 3 targets of major importance for me: the two airports, and the two bases down the road from both hq's. Realistically, I realize I'm only getting the airport and base nearest my HQ, so the first thing I do is move my fta-counter infantry towards the uncaptured...base to the left. I do nothing else that turn. On the next I buy an infantry and apc, and end my turn. The apc leaves the base with a loaded infantry, and I reach the airport, dropping off the infantry to capture it on the next turn. The base is taken, the airport a given, and I think that I'll come across some of Sondow's units soon. I want quick cash for that, so I build a solitary infantry on one of the bases near my hq, to lay siege to the surrounding properties. I load the apc with another unit and figure I'll test the waters towards the south, not really caring about it that much. I get near the base towards the south, unload the infantry on a mountain, and notice there is nothing near me. I seize the opportunity, and capture the base. Meanwhile, I've started capturing bases, and I build a recon in the base to the west, figuring I'll scout out Sondow's action. My first real unit is built; a B-Copter. I'm not seeing Sondow on any fronts, but I'm nervous, afraid he's allready launched a capturing initiative down the middle of the map, which I couldn't deal with and that would give him a huge edge. As a result, I decide to strike quick and dirty; I bring my B-Copter between the mountains, and hit what I assumed was an unprotected infantry with my recon.

Then a tank comes out from nowhere and fires on me. I don't know this, but Sondow has a recon stationed right outside the woods of my HQ, keeping tabs on everything I'm doing at those bases (as you'll soon see, nothing). He's also made an antiair, which I can do nothing about...yet. I send my crippled recon on a suicide mission to see if Sondow captured the airport, and he had. I took a city north of the airport anyway, even though I knew the infantry was a dead unit; it would get me a few thousand funds in the meanwhile, and there was nothing else productive for it to do. Knowing he's playing with tanks and expecting a raid on the western base, I make one of Sami's phenomenal mechs to do a few things-let me see what he's doing on the airport, cripple a tank, maybe sack a city as well. Knowing he's not going to take that property anytime soon, I send my BCopter south to back the fledgling base I captured, wondering when the shit will hit the fan for my little communist buddies hanging out in the middle of nowhere.

For the hell of it, I unload an infantry from my APC down there into the woods to see if I can pull a surprise capture. I can't; the infantry gets killed that turn when his antiair stumbles upon it. I build a mech, and then a neotank; I intend to produce a T-Copter as well, since I think Sondow is strapped for funds at this point and want to try another capturing initiative. I've scouted the west with my mech on a mountain and a recon, and there's not much going on for him propertywise...his income is a paltry 8k, compared to my 12. Sighting a copter with my recon, I produce an anti-air on the southeast base, fire upon a capturing mech with a bcopter since I don't want it messing with my units, and twiddle my thumbs.

My psychic sense tingles; I know that antiair is ready to mess with my Bcopter, so I waste the infantry where Sondow can't get it. I position my Neo to strike the recon on his hq...and can't! I didn't know units in fow can't hit units they were unable to see prior to moving. The tcopter moves, it's loaded with my infantry, and I am locked and loaded with 14k income each turn.

His copter comes out of the woodwork and strikes my neotank; in retaliation I knock his copter out with my antiair. I strategically place a mech I've been carrying along with me in the rear into the woods, 4 squares away from his hq (Sami's co power gives him that mp), and fire on his recon. My co power is ready...but I want more and know once that gets charged this game is over. Feeling the love for indirects, and nervous about any surprise captures, I build an artillery for my hq and stash it in the woods. Another artillery to end any potential clogging on Sondow's end. My income is 15k; I can taste a bomber, so build one. The artillery is nearly in position...thinking it's worth a shot, and the loaded tcopter is going to do the same thing for my cause, I launch a capture with the mech on one of the bases adjacent Sondow's hq. He cripples the unit; whoops. My Neo's getting scuffed up by a copter, and is really useless for me at this point. I look at my CO bar, and notice it's not much longer until my scop is ready. A few minor skirmishes are happening on the north of the map, but the real action is near his headquarters.

Day 16; the Bomber's almost in range, the artillery is in the woods, and my tcopter...well, I forgot to unload my tcopter. Sondow guns it down with his antiair next turn, and it's a shame because the match would have ended day 17 if I weren't so careless. My Super CO Power is ready; an infantry is made on the southeast base for my end...all I need to do is get the infantry within 5 squares of his hq, and knock out whatever he has on that space. A copter's put on his hq to protect it; realizing he doesn't have much left in the way of money, I blast it with my antiair. An MD Tank takes care of it the next turn, which is a shame.

The gamewinning move though: I build a Megatank, and inch it towards his base, with an infantry hiding in the woods. My artillery is slaughtered, but I don't care; as long as I have the bomber and the megatank working together, I can destroy any feeble barrier he can put up. I cripple the antiair with my bomber, and the megatank plays cleanup crew, nuking a random recon I come across Sondow sent to spy on me. I build a recon of my own in the southeast base; I need to see the unit on the base to hit it, lesson learned. The recon spots the hq, protected by a lonely artillery. I knock that out, activate Sami's SCOP power, and take the headquarters that day, giving me the victory.

Results: genus (Sami, Blue Moon) defeats Sondow (Andy, Orange Star) in 19 days.

This is why Sami is one of my favorite CO's in the game.

CO information for the main game is pending; I'll edit this post later to make the uninformed informed.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 10:13:41 pm by General Throatstomper »

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 10:54:31 pm »
Yeah, I was money-strapped practically the entire game. I nearly knew from the start you were going to destroy me, I just wanted to see how much of a fight I could put up before being taken down >_>

I really didn't see the end coming either. Nor the megatank. Nor the bomber.
...nor anything, really.

Lessons Learned: Probably about 20 minimum.
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Print

Hits: 718 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.20 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.