don't click here

Heh heh. Didn't think this would happen...

Print

Author Topic: Heh heh. Didn't think this would happen...  (Read 24851 times)

Offline KnucklesSonic8

Heh heh. Didn't think this would happen...
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:32:13 pm »
As I was telling Auriman and SJ, my father bought a 360 behind my back for himself, which means.. I can FINALLY get STH06 and compete!

I don't care how bad it is, it doesn't seem THAT bad. I'm not that overly-critical about the game. Then again, I'm not setting up myself for disappointment.

All I'm saying is that I'm enrolling someday soon. And I can FINALLY play Wave Ocean. :D

Anything I should know about the game other than the Story (I already have all the cutscenes on my PC... or had anyway - they're on disks now)?

edit:
I Dl'd the demo yesterday and I am now convinced that S06 has been sorely misjudged by many, and that's only be my impressions of the demo. :o
The game is sweet already and I'm DEFINITELY going to try to buy it this weekend and start competing.

All I can say is, STH06 FTW!
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Alondite

Re: Heh heh. Didn't think this would happen...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 05:41:53 pm »
I'm going to have to disagree. S06 is a mess. It's poorly developed from concept to execution. Poor controls and camera, numerous technical bugs, poor level design and laughable story. It's just not good.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 05:44:43 pm »
Well that slightly bursted my bubble, but not quite as I know the game's recieved LOADS of mixed opinions, even form people here, there isn't a "consensus" about the game.

Oh, and the story is somewhat laughable, I agree, but it's pretty deep, IMO. I know this as I spoiled the whole story almost a year ago when it was/before it was released through scripts and video cutscenes. And horrid camera is typical. The only recent game to this exception is SatSR - it wasn't perfect, but it wasn't as bad as others either.
Wiiloveit

Offline eggFL

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 06:00:41 pm »
I've had enough of this. Sonic06 is beautiful! Yes it has loading problems and a few bad lines but so what? It's an OUTSTANDING game and completely one-of-a-kind.

Poor controls

Just because they're different doesn't mean the controls are bad. They're very loose. That's neat in its own way and provides a new type of challenge. It's fun and rewarding to wind Sonic in and around things with his new razor sharp cornering.

camera

I can only conclude that this is a lie. You have camera control with the right thumbstick and an instant camera center button. This is at the least the best camera in a Sonic game and even past games were fine for the most part.

numerous technical bugs

That affects how the game plays, but it doesn't affect what the game is.

poor level design

The levels are in a school of design that makes it so that they will always be good. Straight action platforming in linear style stages just like the classics. No fetch quests or puzzles. Just like the classics. Just like all 3D Sonics. But Sonic06's stages are the most immersive and "3D", stages like Radical Train or Flame Core and so on, stages that are winding and dramatic.

Granted they could have done better. But that's the point. Sonic06 is the basis for improvement where no other exists.

and laughable story.

Aside from the Last Story, it's cute and fun. Story is as much part of the style as anything else. The story in Sonic06 is "romantic" and oblivious, so it fits perfectly. I like the story!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:04:47 pm by eggFL »

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 06:04:09 pm »
Whoa! I can tell, eggy, that S06 is one of your favourite Sonic games. I wouldn't be surprised if it became mine as well...

Nice defense. :P
And the levels are wicked and very immersive from what I've seen. That's something I value, especially in a Sonic game. Wave Ocean, alone, is beautifully done.

edit:
BTW, are there charts for stats for the Demo? I doubt it but just wanted to be sure as I did, in fact, get an S Rank on my second run-through. I'm going to go for Rings later when I discover the "hiding place" of my dad's 360. XD
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 06:10:58 pm by knuckles_sonic8 »
Wiiloveit

Offline F-Man

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 11:45:04 pm »
Sonic 06 was almost a perfect game if it weren't for flawed controls and lag. This usually makes people say the game absolutely sucks, probably because they suck at it.

The stages in this game are some of the best level designs ever in a Sonic game (I'd even say in any platformer, because they're fast and Sonic style and all, but not everyone likes this stuff). The aforementioned flaws are bad enough to lower the 9/10 rating I'd have given it to 7/10, but I just don't understand people labeling the game as shit because of it. I'm thinking they can't appreciate the good as soon as they see some bad.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 02:23:39 am »
I gotta say, I played the demo in Japan before it came out and I hated it. I found the camera to be horrible compared to some of the earlier 3D Sonic games, and it's just pathetic that it hasn't been fixed after all these years. The level design felt "jerky" and I found myself constantly falling of the edge of the level, and there was one part where I had to jump from a tight-rope and bounce onto the next platform, but the camera made it so annoyingly difficult. And when Sonic was running, it didn't even feel fast.

But it's not really fair for me to judge the whole game on that level. I mean all of the 3D Sonic's have had at least a few levels that suffer from similar problems. Someone also told me that the demo level was also one of the hardest in the game.

Weird thing is I still want the game, mainly because Wave Ocean looks so, so, good... It'll probably be the first game I get if/when I get a 360.
W€£ $€ÄÑ¥ ßÕ¥ 2K7 says: (11:10:17 PM)
my sis said she fancied EGGMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

W€£ $€ÄÑ¥ ßÕ¥ 2K7 says: (11:29:08 PM)
who knew u could bend water with plastic

Offline eggFL

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 08:26:11 pm »
Thing is, the demo can be considered the best area in the game. That is, the rest of the game is a lot more linear.

anyway I loved the demo.

Another thing about the demo though is that the camera controls were extremely slow. They fixed that in the final game and they fixed the camera overall so in those certain places it wouldn't leave you to a blind jump.

Also you two mentioned Wave Ocean... I don't consider it one of the prettiest stages at all. But if you're into beaches and whales then I guess.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 11:27:47 am »
I found the demo to be quite good, actually. And the camera wasn't a huge problem as anyone else keeps claiming anyway.

And yeah, Wave Ocean IS beautful.
On that note, I was watching a Silver Medal guide for Blaze when she goes it alone at Wave Ocean, and I'm wondering how her jump and the speed and distance she travels after going off a speed ramp (and in general) is so fast! She could almost keep up w/ Sonic and Shadow from what I saw.

So, no stats for the demo, then?
My best time is like 1'00"xx.
And as I said, an S Rank on my second try: 41xxx

edit:
I know Very Hard Mode must be bought off the Marketplace but is HARD MODE unlockable in the game?

And I guess you guys did end up deciding not to restrict the gems as it's not listed in the rules for the game.

I'm also surprised there's STILL only one vid for S06 from RPG (that was quite some time ago when he uploaded it). How come noone's bothering to do vids? Darkspines (Da1andOnlySonic), I even saw one of your vids of Blaze/Wave Ocean on AOL Video (from Google). How come you didn't want to post it? And I'm sure you have other great vids, considering your the champ ATM unless I'm mistaken.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 12:08:31 pm by knuckles_sonic8 »
Wiiloveit

Offline eggFL

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 05:38:02 pm »
Gems are allowed. It's good etiquette to unlock all the gems first. That way you have no advantage from not having to switch through all the bad gems.

All the characters jump really fast from some ramps. Especially in Sonic's areas sometimes. Like, Sonic goes through that part by sliding on the water. So Tails and Blaze go through it with ramps. Oh and of course Blaze can keep up with Sonic and Shadow... she runs as fast as Sonic pretty much. Why wouldn't she.. she's Blaze after all. The thing about Sonic06 is that normal running is quite slow but speed plates and ramps are very fast. That's why I call it blast processing. >_>

Oh yea the demo... yea, no submissions for the demo. Although there should be now that I think about. Competition for a free game. That's pretty pro. Anyway I got under 1 minute I think since I saw how its possible somewhere. And I got over 100k in score since the scoring in the demo is changed to make it possible to get an S rank in such a small stage.... however it's broken and hilarious and you can get insane scores easily. I enjoyed that.

Hard mode comes with the game and is unlocked after beating the story for that character I think.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 06:58:19 pm »
Hey thanks for the info. I'll let you know when I finally get it. :D
And yeah, maybe demo stats should be considered. If Very Hard Mode is (and that actually requires payment), why not the Demo (and it's free).
Wiiloveit

Offline F-Man

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 11:48:05 pm »
Demo ain't part of the game. And you don't know how long it'll be available.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 06:14:40 am »
That brings up a good question. Has there yet been a demo that was ever taken off Xbox Live?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 06:07:39 pm »
Did I mention yet that the inverted Y axis on the camera is great, its what Im used to?

The inverted X axis on the other hand is retarded and what prevents me from playing the game anymore.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline F-Man

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 07:58:33 pm »
Why Do People Always Say the X Axis Is Inverted??!?!?

No one ever answered me this. X axis is left and right, right? That axis ain't inverted at all. The Y axis ain't inverted either, although most games have it inverted (camera goes down when pushing up, and vice versa), so it seems inverted.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 08:15:11 pm »
Inverted camera controls never really bothered me. (unless it's in a shooter - since that's not camera, it's aiming, which is completely different not to mention a big deal) Even if it's the X axis. Although I don't know why Sonic06 has inverted X axis on the camera. (I guessed that they did to make the game look more intense) But neither do I know why it would ruin the game for anyone. You can have the camera inverted on either axis, both, or none, and it would make no difference as far as I'm concerned.

F-Man - doesn't Sonic have inverted X axis? The camera moved the opposite direction than it does in Phantasy Star Universe.. and that game had no inverted controls on either axis. I might check... well I might not.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 11:21:55 pm »
God this game has the best framerate ever.

Anyway look. If you push up the camera goes up. If you push left the camera goes right. That means the X axis is inverted. But again that matters very little.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 11:39:46 pm »

Learn it, bastards!

You even said the Y axis was fine, if you can determine this, you can only be confused if you say the opposite for the game's X axis.

The camera does go left when you push left. I doubt we have different copies of the game. I have two copies of it in fact.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 11:42:47 pm »
When you push up, the camera looks up. When you push left, the camera looks right.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 11:49:48 pm »
When you push up, the camera looks up. When you push left, the camera looks right.

Looking right means it moves to the left. Just like moving up means it looks down. You're using two different realities in the same context.

Seriously, even the L/R triggers in the other 3D Sonic games worked like this. The only game I have ever played that had those inverted was Evolution: World of Sacred Device.

EDIT: booted the game. The camera actually does look up when pushing up. But that's because it rotates down. So the Y axis is inverted. And that's why I said earlier that that axis seemed wrong. You guys are working backwards!

Offline eggFL

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 12:15:14 am »
Look I am well aware of the reasoning behind the point you're making. But you're trying to argue what inverted means.

If you push up on the control stick and it looks /down/, that's considered inverted by most people. Most games nowadays also treat it as inverted.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 12:19:03 am »
If you push up on the control stick and it looks /down/, that's considered inverted by most people. Most games nowadays also treat it as inverted.
Only if you consider viewpoint controls and not actual camera controls. I don't care what most people consider, but this is the camera we're talking about. And if pushing right means it moves to the right (the camera, not the viewpoint), then it's not inverted.

And I guess I have been playing the wrong games. Sonic games mainly.

Not like I care if you control the viewpoint you aim to see or the camera itself, but camera controls explicitly mention you're controlling the camera, so don't call the X axis in Sonic 06 inverted. The Y axis is, though.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 12:38:41 am »
by the way everyone check out my new Sonic06 records! 8|

Only if you consider viewpoint controls and not actual camera controls. I don't care what most people consider

That's exactly it. I don't care what you consider, but if everyone else calls it inverted then it's inverted to me. We're the opposite on this matter.

If you're saying that camera controls should be inverted by default then that's another story altogether.

If you're saying that everyone should learn to call inverted what you think is inverted and play with your style of controls... well I dunno.

If you really think it's important for games to offer camera controls options regardless of genre, then more power to you - I'd be on your side.

Of course it makes pretty much no difference to me personally. If you're not directly controlling your character and if you're not aiming (i.e. not a shooter) the camera control setup to me makes almost as little difference as which face button makes Sonic jump. As long as the X axis and Y axis aren't mixed together (as in pushing up makes you look left/right) of course.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 05:55:41 pm »
Got it now! :D
Wiiloveit

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 03:03:21 pm »
As I was telling Auriman and SJ, my father bought a 360 behind my back for himself, which means.. I can FINALLY get STH06 and compete!

When was this?

also congrats, I may pick me up a 360 if the PS3 doesn't shape itself up.  I still want to at least try the game, but those load screens are killing it for me.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 12:33:57 pm »
[quote author=Shadow Jacky link=topic=2612.msg27415#msg27415
also congrats, I may pick me up a 360 when the PS3 continues to flounder and Sony continue to make more and more retarded versions.
[/quote]

Fixed <_<

Offline eggFL

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 12:48:41 pm »
Fact is they make bad PS3 SKU's to make the $600 version look better.

Thanks to Sony's ingenious marketing, PS3 is on the fast track to console domination.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 12:51:37 pm »
You typed "death" wrong

Offline eggFL

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 03:29:50 pm »
no I think I got it right. As in Three Red Lights of Domination

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 06:27:13 pm »
I hear you get 80g for unlocking that

Print

Hits: 676 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.19 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.