don't click here

Are Sonic Heroes ps2 users at a disadvantage?

Print

Author Topic: Are Sonic Heroes ps2 users at a disadvantage?  (Read 12024 times)

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
Are Sonic Heroes ps2 users at a disadvantage?
« on: August 28, 2007, 07:21:33 pm »
I recently saw    Pokemonmaster888's Team two video for Sonic Heroes, and on the ps2, I'm not allowed to move immediately after the screen focuses back on me.  Is this something that is maybe pc exclusive?(Since I know pc games usually load faster)
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline JBertolli

Re: Are Sonic Heroes ps2 users at a disadvantage?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 07:30:42 pm »
I am pretty sure Pokemonmaster888 plays the GCN version. I do know that the ps2 version has some sort of frame screw up.

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 07:34:55 pm »
I've played the PS2 version and I also have noticed you can't move at the start of the team battles at the same time you can for GC.  Never thought about any time advantage, though.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 07:40:56 pm »
The PS2 version also has some nasty slow down issues compared to the other versions so it might also have some indirect effects by screwing up important timings. (The controls are supposed to be loose compared to the other versions as well.) As far as I know, most of the top Sonic Heroes players use the GC version as it is the best version.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 08:17:08 pm »
eredani plays on Xbox, for the record.

Having played both the PS2 and GC versions myself, I noticed the PS2's framerate issues which give an indirect disadvantage, but more important is the fact that the glitches apparent in Heroes are magnified on the PS2 version. As an example, in Lost Jungle I would find myself constantly running through springs at the end of loops, catapulting me into the water.

Also the talk of the PS2 controls being looser probably starts with me and my inability to control it properly without the grooves around the analog stick.

In short, assuming equal skill and your fair share of luck there shouldn't be any disadvantage, but in practice the PS2 version is, if nothing else, a hell of a lot more frustrating.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Pokemonmaster888

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 08:56:51 pm »
Just to clarify, I do play Sonic Heroes on the GameCube. As it is, you can tell the difference between versions by looking at the character change buttons. The PC version has small circular buttons labled "Y" and "X". The GameCube version has the oval shaped "Y" and "X" buttons. By looking at my videos, you can tell I play Sonic Heroes on the Gamecube.

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 09:07:15 pm »
I knew it had to be PC or gamecube.  I only bought this up because I tried that just today, and I couldn't move until about 2 seconds after the camera came back to me.

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:53:48 pm »
In short, assuming equal skill and your fair share of luck there shouldn't be any disadvantage, but in practice the PS2 version is, if nothing else, a hell of a lot more frustrating.
Granted this is Heroes we're talking about so frustrating is part of the picture. >_>

Though I use the PS2 version and am fine with it (granted I'm not exactly anywhere near champion status, but I don't try that hard either). Sure the LJ spring glitch is annoying, but... hey it was all I had at the time. (I could get the GC version if I really wanted to, but I don't think it's worth it having two of the same game.)
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 12:24:23 am »
yes they are, critially, I think

no, not just an excuse on my part (not really into running it since I found out TBG was outlawed) but the frames (amount of frames skipped on occasion due to loading times or processing times) and reaction-time (the amount of time the PS2/GC takes to register the button after you press it and do something) are both screwy due to the way that the PS2 handles it's audio drivers (not my findings, and I can't quote them, I'm sorry)

anyway, it's nothing critical, but in completion runs, I found it a LOT easier on my friend's GC than on my PS2
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 09:22:05 pm »
The disadvantage when facing other teams has been confirmed.  I showed mike a video of it some time ago.  Just thought I'd let you all know.>_>

Offline SuperSonic94

• More Faster Than Sonic =O
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp msie6
  • Part of the favorite team =D!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 10:51:20 pm »
Definitely... I have the PS2 version, and in the battle of Team Dark/Sonic, I can move at 5.50 - 5.80 seconds, In GC, you can move it in 4 seconds, I have 0:08.81 in the battle of Team Dark using Team Sonic, and, 8.81 - 1.20 seconds = 7.61 seconds!, I can do 7 seconds, but, 8.81 - 1.50 = 7.31, almost a WR, I hate the PS2 version! XD!
Good bye for now Sonic =(

Offline Telnaior

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »
I have the ps2 version. It's not exactly fair to me (but I don't exactly try all that hard either). Maybe someone should calculate the exact amount of time that ps2 people lose on TvT (Team versus Team) battles and allow us to subtract that amount of time from their submission. It would help heaps.

Print

Hits: 1,101 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.18 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.