don't click here

Sonic RPG On Its Way To DS!!

Print

Author Topic: Sonic RPG On Its Way To DS!!  (Read 58792 times)

Offline P.P.A.

Re: Sonic RPG On Its Way To DS!!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2007, 02:08:36 pm »
Because Tails always runs into spikes, gets hit by stuff, falls into bottomless pits...
And because I felt like it. >_>

Also Judgement, "one of those sprite games". That's an edited Final Fantasy 1 screenshot if you didn't know. <_<
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2007, 03:53:50 pm »
Because Tails always runs into spikes, gets hit by stuff, falls into bottomless pits...
And because I felt like it. >_>

Also Judgement, "one of those sprite games". That's an edited Final Fantasy 1 screenshot if you didn't know. <_<

You mean like the ones in newgrounds?Because I'v seen some like that.
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2007, 03:56:07 pm »
That's an edited Final Fantasy 1 screenshot

THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2007, 03:58:57 pm »
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

Offline X-5

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2007, 10:30:53 pm »
its gunna suck =(  Less they make it like the genesis shining force those are my favorite two RPG's ever

Offline eggFL

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2007, 11:25:52 pm »
This is a really good example of Regal's fighting on YouTube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=N8vA66jNzjI

The battle is a pretty tough optional boss which MUST be fought with a single character, after having fought a string of other single-character battles.

This - http://youtube.com/watch?v=sP8Qjq1U6-I - doesn't display the fluidity and such as well, but is a pretty impressive Regal-only battle against the toughest enemy in the game, an optional boss named Abyssion.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2007, 03:02:14 am »
Ok, any examples of non-cheesy RPG characters? Unarmed, sword-wielding, or otherwise?

Also ftcrapphotoshop:
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2007, 05:45:44 pm »
I really fail to see why you have such a problem with unarmed attacks in RPGs, egg.

You seriously think that Sonic having a sword like Shadow can in ShTH would be better in terms of "cheesiness" than punches and kicks (which he may not even use, bear in mind: his attacks may be just spin attacks, spin dashes, and similar things)?

Actually I wouldn't put that past you...

Offline eggFL

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2007, 08:49:24 pm »
Well I already said I was able to visualize it.

But then CF comes and shows his so-called example that I gave him the benefit of the doubt for, turns out being the DUMBEST RPG CHARACTER I HAVE EVER SEEN.

That doesn't mean it can't work for Sonic. But still, what's so cheesy about using a sword? Swords are a staple in every RPG, so how can you call it bad?

Consider that it could be less cheesy than using swords in ShTH? It will be completely different because in Shadow, it was with normal gameplay, meaning the sword had to compete with homing attack, and Shadow had to lug it around everywhere which looks goofy. Also, in an attempt to make swords practical, they had to make them really really large, which just looks comical as you already know.

Sonic is already being taken out of his element since the game is not going to be about high speed running. (really when we say "no weapons in Sonic games" we aren't typically referring to RPG spin-offs now are we?) Might as well give him a sword, make it more fun to watch, give the attacks more "umph" and give the game more customization. Really no reason not to i.m.h.o.

But if there's no swords, that's fine, it will probably work either way.

It's just that I first said that unarmed RPG characters are cheesy, then CF presents to us a LONG-HAIRED SAILOR WHO CAN'T CHANGE HIS CLOTHES who can't do anything besides spamming flip kicks. Wow, majestic!!

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2007, 09:54:42 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNeYb31mLUs
-I had a hard time finding some decent gameplay footage of Adell. Vulcan Blaze can best be described as a flashier version of Neo Deadly Rave. He has a bunch of other Rock Howard inspired moves, such as a move like a max level Shining Knuckle (moves not shown).
-Why so much hate for Regal. The reasons written (his outfit and how he can only kick) don't seem like logical intelligent reasons to me. I suggest playing ToS and judging him on his character development/character gameplay and other things before making judgement. Of the 9 character's Regal's fighting style is the hardest to master but the deepest and most rewarding to play. (Regal works much differently than the other characters in his game design rules of how he can make combos.)
-The only Sonic characters that I can logically see wielding swords are Shadow and Espio. The former because he's done it before, is now a GUN agent, and its perfectly within his character to use whatever's necessary to achieve an objective. The later because he's a ninja. Sonic even says it himself as to how he rejects using weapons, thus giving him a sword is completely out of character.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 10:14:10 pm by magnum12 »
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2007, 11:37:28 pm »
Okay, I don't think this game will ever work if it is just a bunch of traditional crap. Nor do I think playing a whole game as Regal is any fun, I'd rather play as Lloyd or Zelos/Kratos seeing as they have all the moves, basically. Seeing as these ideas would be expected or lame respectively, let me be the first to mish-mash a bunch of random elements and see what happens!

So first, there's the obvious element, Sonic. Breathe deeply as you watch this amazingly expected video of Sonic going through a randomly chosen level.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zETUn8GTqRU (is this supposed to be there)

But, it can't be just a game about Sonic, this is an RPG. So lets go overboard with characters! They certainly have plenty to choose from!
http://sonic.sega.jp/chara/index.html

So Sonic is in an RPG. I think he would have something to say about that, no doubt cracking up over the fact that he's actually in an RPG. He better make it worthwhile then and have some awesome attacks and random nonsense to beat the crap out of Eggman with!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_YpZxIC69o

But hey! This game is being made by Bioware, Known to be generally awesome. So seeing as they're making the game, lets throw in some Bioware awesomeness as well!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LUQQvTNg1ec

I hear Bioware has a thing for listening to their fans, so I'm assuming they are going to listen to the Sonic fans - the ones that speak English, anyways. After all, this is part of Sega's attempt to reach back into the western audience and steal their soul and whatnot so they can control more minds to buy more Sonic games that suck. So, lets give the fans more of what they like in this game!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uiTJPOx_WiE

But oh! Western audience, appeal to all ages... That means this has to be a family-oriented game as well. So, lets incorporate that into the game as well!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=e87hBS3DDE4

Now all we need, seeing as this is a DS game, is for the game to be completely controlled by the DS's touchscreen. After all, touching is good... right?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TiK7eP5Zg5k

We're doomed.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2007, 02:18:59 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNeYb31mLUs
-I had a hard time finding some decent gameplay footage of Adell. Vulcan Blaze can best be described as a flashier version of Neo Deadly Rave. He has a bunch of other Rock Howard inspired moves, such as a move like a max level Shining Knuckle (moves not shown).

Yea, Adell is pretty cool.

Also that reminds me of another bare-fisted RPG character who's pretty cool. Astuma from Enchanted Arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QryBDKL6_G8

But then again, he doesn't use kicks, and he's in a turn-based JRPG.

-Why so much hate for Regal. The reasons written (his outfit and how he can only kick) don't seem like logical intelligent reasons to me. I suggest playing ToS and judging him on his character development/character gameplay and other things before making judgement.

I think logic and intelligence went out the window when dealing with such cheesy, sappy, derivative, lame character design for a chibi anime action-RPG.

Besides, forget character development for a second, were talking about about how it would look and the fighting style, and Regal's fighting isn't so great, nor is it necessarily very fitting for Sonic. He spams the same move over and over, including lots of standing upright kicks. Sonic is supposed to be all about flow.

Of the 9 character's Regal's fighting style is the hardest to master but the deepest and most rewarding to play. (Regal works much differently than the other characters in his game design rules of how he can make combos.)

Doesn't really have anything to do with this. x_x

-The only Sonic characters that I can logically see wielding swords are Shadow and Espio. The former because he's done it before, is now a GUN agent, and its perfectly within his character to use whatever's necessary to achieve an objective. The later because he's a ninja. Sonic even says it himself as to how he rejects using weapons, thus giving him a sword is completely out of character.

Yea, Espio using a sword (or better yet, daggers or sais) combined with throwing weapons in the game would be pretty sweet.

Shadow wouldn't use a sword imo because he'd use guns instead and those are better. Or he'd just use his fists and kicks kinda like Sonic06. After all, he has the strength. But in this game, guns would be perfect because it would make Shadow unique -- he'd be pretty much the only long range attacker.

You say Sonic wouldn't use a sword because it would be out of character. But what if he didn't have a choice? And besides, unless I'm mistaken, he said he wouldn't use guns, not swords.

Anyway, that's just what I think.

SkyLights - you remind me of AnotherBlazeHedgehog. Stop it. =P

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2007, 08:31:18 am »
But still, what's so cheesy about using a sword? Swords are a staple in every RPG,

Way to answer your own question??

It's just that I first said that unarmed RPG characters are cheesy, then CF presents to us a LONG-HAIRED SAILOR WHO CAN'T CHANGE HIS CLOTHES who can't do anything besides spamming flip kicks. Wow, majestic!!

Er, that sailor outfit isn't Regal's default costume. Moreover, it's a chef outfit. ToS provides a number of costumes for each character. Which then shoots down your point that HE CAN'T CHANGE HIS CLOTHES OMG TRAVESTY.

Moreover, these are vids of him being player controlled. The latter one, not using the same combo over and over, a player would be hard pressed to win that scenario (I'm not sure but it's probably an infinite or near-infinite combo, at least til Abyssion overlimits).

So it's not that he can't do anything else. You're pinning the way a human is controlling him on bad character design? Lolwut. Oh, hey, by the way, Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog for Mega Drive is a poor character, I mean the worst, I mean ALL HE CAN DO IS JUMP WHAT IS THAT SHIT? It's like hey I'm playing a game but all I can do is spam Jump all the time! Oh wait and roll... maybe I will just spam roll-jump combo. How shit.

Erm

wtf was I talking about.

Oh yeah, in your later posts I see that your hate for Regal is apparently mostly a hate for the 'chibi anime' style of ToS. Soz if you hate good games dawg.

Which would also make sense seeing as you are rooting for Sonic's Sword-Wielding Adventure being a good game.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline eggFL

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2007, 06:42:38 pm »
Regal is stupid for every reason. The only thing possibly good about him is that if I got to know him better he may not be quite as frikkin retarded as I originally thought.

What do you mean, he can changes his clothes? //His arms are permanently bonded to each other!// How can he even have different outfits. Did the designers even think of that when they thought of him? HUH, DID THEY?

They made a character who self-bonded his arms together... Why??? That's beyond corny. Should Sonic do that, too, I reckon? Would Shadow have been more popular and would not be isolated so much for being "emo" all the time, if he had bonded his own arms together out of depression? Would that have been the so-called good writing and character design that Sonic is desperately lacking? Terrific double standard.

Lolwhut! Lolwhut, indeed.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2007, 07:28:54 pm »
Unless I'm missing something, the mentioning of Regal re Sonic RPG was only about combat style, which has nothing to do with writing.  Regal is also not a Bioware character, just an example, so his writing has nothing to do with what Sonic RPG will be like.

I'm all for a good argument about why one game character is good or bad (or about anything, in fact), but should we not keep this on topic?  Especially given this is a concept that makes me giggle with glee :)

This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline eggFL

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2007, 09:55:53 pm »
Well ok, sorry about that.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2007, 01:47:06 am »
There are some story related questions about this game that interest me.
1. How will this game handle endings? With a morality system highly unlikely, will there be one ending or will there be something like a good (the most likely canon ending), normal, bad, and worst endings thing going on?
2. Will the game be serious like a lot of recent Sonic games or will it be light hearted and funny? If a humorous spin on story is taken, will it be all goofy and in-joke heavy like Paper Mario or will it use a twisted, acid-tongued style of humor.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2007, 08:56:02 am »
1. How will this game handle endings? With a morality system highly unlikely, will there be one ending or will there be something like a good (the most likely canon ending), normal, bad, and worst endings thing going on?

For good ending get Chaos Emeralds! Guaranteed.

2. Will the game be serious like a lot of recent Sonic games or will it be light hearted and funny? If a humorous spin on story is taken, will it be all goofy and in-joke heavy like Paper Mario or will it use a twisted, acid-tongued style of humor.

Didn't you get the memo we have ENTERED THE SONIC AGE. Sonic is realistic and dark and gritty for the 21st Century.

Also egg: ftlol, after I posted about the outfits, I thought about "how could Regal change?" myself. I mean obviously the outfits are there in the game, but like... his tops must totally detach in half or something. Or maybe he just has a lot of shirts and rips them off?... oh but then he still can't put them on. </randomly focusing on pointless details>

Basically er... Sonic using Sonic-type attacks (roll, spindash, jump... hey remember when it used to be called the SUPER SONIC SPIN ATTACK?) ftw.

Also all this talk about ToS has made me start playing it again. DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO ME? *breaks down*

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2007, 10:25:16 am »
Sonic is realistic and dark and gritty for the 21st Century.

The first thing that comes to my mind to contradict this statement is how Sonic pinky-swears with a genie. :[

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2007, 03:35:39 pm »
Also all this talk about ToS has made me start playing it again. DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO ME? *breaks down*

Hey you did it to me. D: Now I can't stop... halp... plz...

BTW for an RPG:

Story is irrelevant. Gameplay is everything.
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2007, 08:20:21 pm »
BTW for an RPG:

Story is irrelevant. Gameplay is everything.
-True that gameplay is everything. Then again, that's true for any genre. I think you still have it wrong though. In the RPG genre, since there is a lot more story than in a traditional game, it comes to pass that story becomes much more important. Since you're going to be playing a much longer game, the plot should be interesting to keep you going. That quote is most true with fighting games, then action games. If you said "Graphics is irrelevant. Gameplay is everything." I would agree fully since it takes a pretty shallow gamer to reject a game because of the way it looks.
-The problem with getting Chaos Emeralds for the good ending is that in more recent Sonic games, getting the emeralds seems to be an automatic part of the story. Here's an idea of mine inspired by one of Bioware's own games on how choices should affect endings. With Dark Spine Sonic around (as a result of his anger, sadness, and hatred) there could be a mechanic in which if Sonic is critical, you get the option of transforming into DS Sonic, whch gives you tremendous power during a battle at a price, just like the Bhall Spawn form from Baldur's Gate 2. If you use it too many times, the ending you get is progressively worse until you get the worst ending, in which some real tragic event causes Sonic's dark side to fully take over his personality, resulting in an alternate final battle with DS Sonic. The way I'd set it up is that you must NEVER use the DS form in order to get the good ending. 10 or more times results in the worst ending. 5-9 times results in the bad ending. 1-4 times results in the normal ending. On top of that, I'd make the game really hard as well (both KOTOR games and Jade Empire were too easy IMO), forcing the player to choose between having an easier battle now and getting a better ending in the long term.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 08:30:36 pm by magnum12 »

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2007, 03:57:46 am »
DARK SPINE LIMIT BREAK~~~

Sry.

Serioulsy though, even though I haven't completed SatSR (soz guys), I am inclined to tell Dark Spine Sonic to gtfo and stay in SatSR. Then again, I would also like to tell Blaze to stay in Rush, Silver in '06, heck I really REALLY want to tell Shadow to gb2 Adventure 2 and stay there. So I wouldn't be surprised if STeam are like "Yeah bioware you have to have all these forms of sonic, and all these other hedgehogs, etc".

ps. Rick I have elected to play it on Mania, with 1/2 EXP, and avoiding/escaping all random encounters. Sh- er... 'Clumsy Assassin' keeps killing me. D: By which I mean she did once and I haven't tried again.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2007, 05:43:11 am »

acid-tongued... interesting expression. Yea I think that would be really good. The game could feel like a dark, campy graphic novel. Especially since it's a company like Bioware, it could really fly.

btw what is acid-tongue humor exactly? >_>;

Quote from: CosmicFalcon
Didn't you get the memo we have ENTERED THE SONIC AGE. Sonic is realistic and dark and gritty for the 21st Century.

I wish. There was Sonic06 (which is far from gritty btw) but then we have Sonic Rush Adventure and more Rivals.

I think this game's tone needs to be like Shadow crossed with Sonic Battle. Or Shadow crossed with Riders. Or something like that.

Sprite-based graphics would be great, then we could have a 3D-rendered look that would be sweet. Imagine grinding away hordes of shiny Sonic06-style crabs in a robot lava dungeon. Or just as long as it gets that feel down. It needs to have texture, and atmosphere, and that's what I expect from it, considering it's Bioware.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 05:49:48 am by eggFL »

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2007, 06:10:46 am »
Acid burns stuff, so being acid-tongued means your words 'burn' people; you could equate it to being harsh and scathing.

I also disagree strongly about story being irrelevant in RPGs.  They're Role Playing Games - that is, you take on the role of a character and act as them in the fictitious world.  You want a dungeon hack, get an action game; you want a contest of strategy, get Civ or C&C.  RPGs, to me, need something more - not even a brilliant or convoluted plot, but genuine, believable and interesting characters.

Also, believing that any part of a game is irrelevant is silly.  A game is a complete package, and one weak area will degrade it.  The fact that any one of us places higher value on one aspect over others doesn't matter to the market - or, if we're honest, to us.  You'd take a game with great gameplay and great graphics over one with just great gameplay, it's common sense.  The best games have it all.  Look at Half-Life - it lives on it's gameplay, sure, but the graphics were great (and remember all those little world-events-not-connected-with-you-to-aid-realism doohicks), the sound was convincing and the story was engaging.  That takes it from being good to being great.

I think it's highly likely it'll be sprite-based with an isometric view (something like Sonic Battle).  That's consistent with Bioware's history, the DS's capabilities and existing Sonic resources.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2007, 12:14:20 pm »
Acid tongued humor is typically biting and sarcastic. The best example of acid-tongued humor in video games would be the Disgaea series.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2007, 01:06:54 pm »
Acid tongued humor is typically biting and sarcastic. The best example of acid-tongued humor in video games would be the Disgaea series.
You play Disgaea magnum?  Why haven't you mentioned that before?

>_>

<_<

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2007, 01:11:23 pm »
He has, many times >_>
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2007, 02:09:44 pm »
Well I think they're irrelevant because what story isn't cheesy :<
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2007, 08:30:16 pm »
You play Disgaea magnum?  Why haven't you mentioned that before?

>_>

<_<

Two birds with one stone, douglas?

<3 Thorn.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2007, 12:25:05 am »
You play Disgaea magnum?¦nbsp; Why haven't you mentioned that before?

>_>

<_<
Yeah, I've mentioned references to it several times. I think you were there when I made an "ultimate zombie" joke in the chat. (I managed to steal all of the ultimate zombie equipment and I can say that the Hercules body sucks, the brain of Mahogany is good with mages, and the horse weiner (all of you who don't have the game need to see the end of chapter 7 yourself) he uses is a decent item to equip on an archer due to how bows work.
-Edit: The ultimate zombie is probably the most nasty joke made in the whole series. Every other gag is less nasty but oh so twistedly funny. As for in game humor, the Sonic RPG might work with clever insults, in gags making fun of the problems the series has suffered, parodies of the less intelligent fans (and their dumb characters and fan fictions), engrish speaking robots, sarcastic item descriptions, etc.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:51:09 pm by magnum12 »

Print

Hits: 1,038 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.28 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.