I have no idea why I never posted this here before, but there you go. Anywho...
Sonic 1 Megamix. Originally started as a solo project, simple palette hack, and small music edit, eventually transformed into something much more sophisticated over the last two years. From a solo project, to a huge group effort. Some have stayed on the project; others have left. But what remains is what a true collaborative effort between those with unique skills can accomplish.
But enough of the babble, yes?
Sonic 1 Megamix is a ROM hack of the original Sonic the Hedgehog game, for the Sega Megadrive (or Genesis, if you will). It aims to be both technically impressive, and fun to play, taking into account the elements that a Sonic game is known for. It incorporates elements from both old and new, trying to make a combination that can even prove that, indeed, even the newer Sonic games had some good ideas - ones that even work well in 2D.
Oh wait, I was done with the babble. Silly me! On to the facts...THE TEAM:
-Tweaker (Music/Programming/Project Coordinator)
-Robjoe1107 (Level Layouts)
-Upthorn (Debugging/Programming)THE GENERAL INFO:
NOTE: Following is mostly outdated, due to me being lazy and liking copy/paste. Read original thread here
for past discussion and updates.
Bugfixes in this release:
- Double Jump fixed for Shadow; Jump Dash added for Sonic
- Issue of life icons not loading while starting a game from the options screen fixed -- you'll like the new system better. =P
- Zone layouts for Sunset Hill (GHZ) and Starry Night (SLZ) are complete. New layouts thanks to Robjoe1107.
- Music playlist modified (and that damn Splash Down port fixed =P)
- Various bugs fixed (Like the starting position in LZ3)
- Seperate music for each act
- S2 level select and options menus edited to fit with my hack (Stealth)
- Perfect Spindash for each character (Stealth)
- 3 Characters: Sonic, Mighty and Shadow -- Each later to have thier own special move and physics stats. Thanks to Yuski for Mighty sprites and JohnnyUK for Shadow sprites.
- Sonic 2 running physics -- Run down a slope in SLZ and you'll go as fast as you do in CPZ. AKA slope related acceleration. (Stealth)
...among other things.
Moves, and controls to use them:
Homing Attack - B/C near an enemy/monitor after a jump
Light Dash - A near a set of rings (Sonic only)
Jump Dash - B/C in air when no enemies/monitors are around (Sonic Only)
Double Jump - B/C in air when no enemies/monitors are around (Shadow only)
Light Speed Attack - Hold A and do a homing attack near multiple enemies/monitors. 5 ring cost for each additional target after the first.
Spindash - ...you'd better know this one.
Download Link (Hacking Contest Build): http://www.fileden.com/files/15774/Sonic%201%20Megamix.bin
Download Link (Version 2.0): http://www.fileden.com/files/15774/Sonic%201%20Megamix%20v2.0%20%28ROM%29.rar
For some follow up, the music choices are extremely outdated, for the most part. I'd suggest taking a look at the videos for the most info - after all, a picture is worth a thousand words, right? Imagine how many words are in a video! :D
With that said, enjoy - and comments, suggestions, and general discussion are welcome and encouraged. Please be aware, though, that we have our own ideas and direction with this hack, so don't be sad if your suggestions or requests aren't honored. :P