don't click here

Anybody know when a new Sonic game is coming out?

Print

Author Topic: Anybody know when a new Sonic game is coming out?  (Read 37435 times)

Offline Stardust Speedman

• Jorn del Judici
  • TSC: Siavash Tazari
  • win10 chrome
  • That beautiful Lady in my avatar is my wife! Yeah!
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody know when a new Sonic game is coming out?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2007, 06:20:10 pm »
Well, I admit I overreacted, I already new this when I was writing that stuff, but overreacting is kind of in my blood. :P

See, I know that Myamoto is not a terrible guy and that he deserves a lot of recognition, but I still believe he is overworshiped. And he definately isn't actively or intensionally ruining Sonic, but look what is happening: Sonic and Mario have always been big rivals. Even nowadays they get compared to eachother alot. In the early days both had good reputations. Now, Mario games are praised as if they where gifts from heaven, same goes to Zelda, Smash Bross and pretty much any other game developed by Nintendo, hell even NINTENDOGS, while Sonic is more and more smashed into the ground. The number of Sonic Haters who don't even know much about Sonic has been growing in recent times. Now, I'm not saing Mario games are bad and Sonic games are perfect. Mario games are definately very good games, otherwise they couldn't become this popular. However, as someone who knows near to all Sonic games very well and has also tried out alot of Mario games, both old and new, I just believe what is going on here is totally unfair. Why people bitch and nit-pick about Sonic so much is a long descussion for itself, which I wish to spare at this point. But the thing is, nowadays most people have learned to love bitching about Sonic without even realizing how unique Sonic games really are and how many things are soooooooooo cool about Sonic. All they are able to see are the flaws and thats because that is the only thing "Professional Reviewers" tell them! Most people just blindly follow reviews and sometimes even forget what they liked or didn't like about a game in the first place. On the other hand, no "Professional Reviewer" even DARES to really critisize any work of Myamoto! So what do you think happens? Yes: Most people start/continue to worship games developed by Nintendo, even stupid sport-spinoffs by Mario. I mean really, how the hell can a game like Mario Golf get a better average score than Sonic Adventure 2 Battle?! As time goes by, more and more people start to kiss Nintendo's ass, because Nintendo, with Myamoto on the front, has played a very big role in the games industry, both hardware-wise and software-wise. Even Sonic is here because Mario started it all. It's Nintendo's history that makes it such a great company. So, what is wrong with Nintedo? Nothing, acactually! It's just that the number of ass-kissers has grown so much, that rarely someone even dares to critisise what Nintendo, with Myamoto at the front, does. So, what happens to games that are considered rivals for Nintendo games? They are usually disrespected by the ass-kissers. Yes, I am talking about Sonic here! I mean look at this: There are a lot of hardcore Sonic Fans who also like Mario. But, compared to that, howmany hardcore Mario Fans you can think of who actually really now much about Sonic? Sonic games are disrespected without even really being known! But Sega doesn't seem to realize what the actual problem is. What they see is that Myamoto is worshiped and Sonic is apparently dying. So, what they do is go Myamoto-Style! They decide to feature Sonic in a shitty Sports game and give the project to Myamoto to "get sure that nothing gets messed up". After all, Myamoto is god, so what could go wrong?

It is right that Myamoto hasn't actively or intensionally ruined Sonic, but I hope now you can undersand why I partly make him responsible for what is happening to Sonic in the moment. And my very biggest fear is that Sonic gets too much influenced from Myamoto-games, especially after M&S in OG, and if that really happens, then there can be no one who I can ever hate more than Myamoto! It's not something that has already happened, so, as I said, I don't really hate him and saing that I want to kill him was an intensional exaggeration which wasn't meant seriously. But all what is happening now to Sonic is just giving me the creeps and with Sonic starring beside Mario in a game directed by Myamoto, whos style of game I absolutely don't like, I just fear that my biggest fears could come true in the near future!

Well, I usually don't like games which are easy to play for everyone, since these games are just usually some shallow party games. I prefer hardcore games which require a lot of skill and gaming experience. I am not saying that it is a bad thing to have more family friendly games. In contrary, I am all for it to make more and more people interested in Video games and I support Myamoto for doing this. And as you said, M&S in OG is just a sports game, so it doesn't need to be hardcore. But my problem is that Sonic is in it! I just hate to see Sonic in a sports game! All these years I've been happy to play real Sonic games while Mario was making loads and loads of Spinoffs. Now, it's like Sonic going on his knees in front of stupid Mario-sport-spinoffs! This is what pisses me off most about this game!

So, what I meant with "I don't want Sonic to become family friendly" was that I want Sonic to stay hardcore. Sure, a lot of kids like Sonic, because he is cool, but how many of them have actually beaten a Sonic game? The majority of Sonic gamers are teenagers who are well experienced with video games; not children; not parents.

EggFL, you have writen so much stuff and I wished I could reply to all of that, but I have already been writing for so long already myself and I should go to bed now! :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 06:28:23 pm by Siavash Tazari »
There is no sense crying over every mistake! You just keep on trying till you run out of cake!

Offline eggFL

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2007, 06:59:03 pm »
I agree in some part. But a few comments:

I don't think Sonic (or truly great games in general) should require lots of skill or gaming experience. In fact, a big reason I thought Sonic was great is that it's very straightforward (get to the goal; have fun while doing it) and doesn't use a lot of buttons. I think that the secret to Sonic's true success in the future was to maintain that while pursuing quality, polish, and to continue expanding and improving its game world and style.

This is the reason I don't like Mario and Miyamoto because Mario used to be an icon for "pick-up-and-play" and new gamers but now Mario is very alienating treacherous and puzzle-heavy series with no more action stages.

I sometimes say that 3D Sonic has more in common with 2D Sonic and even 2D Mario, than 3D Mario does.

And it's another thing if it requires skill or gaming experience to /master/ or to get a perfect save. Which is great because it keeps the attention of hardcore gamers and also extends replay value. This is where the A-rank system and scoring system comes in. Sonic showed us, among many other great things, an example of how you can make a seemingly easy or simple game, (3D Sonic is generally easy, right?) one that's relatively accessible, and then add the real challenge and replay value on top of that. And that allows the actual game to still be played (and beaten) and appreciated by casual gamers, kids, whoever. It's a win-win formula.

I think it's a good thing that Sonic is liked by kids. Because I think in general there's no reason for a kid to NOT like Sonic. And if they can't even beat a game (without really trying and practice that is) then that's a bad thing. But I always believed that if you can't beat Sonic, you're far far less likely to see the ending of a Mario or Zelda anyway. (unless you use CHEAT CODES!!!111 whooo)

EggFL, you have writen so much stuff

I've been getting that a bit.

It's my new thing I guess.

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 07:13:48 pm »
Sonic should get in a good game first.

And Mario has developed a legion of ass-kissers, but generally in homegrown pods known as officially sanctioned forums.

Sonic merely needs help. I don't know how, but it must be done. Sonic's not the kind of game that should require memorization, but don't push it and turn it into another Sadv2.

Sonic needs to find a way to work before they go putting him in games which befit an ABC afterschool special like this one.

Nintendo may make gmaes that aren't all they're cracked up to be, but Ocarina Of Time is a stroke of genius, as well as Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, and the cruxes of all the series they've had.

Sonic is mashed into the ground for a reason. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was a port. Ports generally get lower scores than the game they're  based on. SA2B was a pretty straight port, while SM64DS was upgraded with new features and all that jazz. And the main death trap in a Sonic game should not be a bottomless pit anyway, so I see the point of their anger.

SA2B is my favorite 3D Sonic game. But I'll be the first to say it has faults. The Mario spinoffs may not aim for what Sonic does, but they're nice, well-rounded games to play, even if they are franchised a bit much. Mario is an "average" person, at least in video game terms. But Sonic is this blue anthromorphic hedgehog. You can do a lot more with a fat Italian plumber than you can do with a superhero-esque hedgehog, as one can get down and play tennis, while the other probably can't do it without the racket burning up. It's like trying to franchise Metroid. Look at Metroid Prime Pinball. Did that work?

And since Sonic games have been getting better reviews in the form of Sonic Rush and Secret Rings, I'd say Sonic is in the mood for a comeback.

Offline Conker T. Squirrel

• The Ultimate Power!!
  • TSC: shadowblast63
  • winxp msie6
  • Oh, charming...Bleh. It's me! Shadowblast63! Yey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 07:43:57 pm »
FReaking Mario and Sonic in a sports crossover game...Would've been cooler if they switched worlds...Anyways that game is gonna suck and crowbar I respect your opinion but Sonic was ruined once Sonic 06 came out. I actually think that, after watching vids., SatSR brang back that "as fast as you can" feeling back but this is just going to ruin both characters.
I am the Ultimate Power in the name of destruction and chaos!

Offline eggFL

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 08:01:04 pm »
A Doubtful Sound - Fair enough, but I don't agree that bottomless pits are much worse than dead-end puzzles. And I don't agree with reviewers' tendency to rate ports lower just for being ports. Besides, Mario 64 DS isn't the best example for this because not only it had all the extra content, but it's a handheld port as well. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle came out only 1-2 years after Sonic Adventure 2, I personally don't think such a large gap in ratings was called for.

Also, yea Metroid is a pretty silly game to franchise. But who said Metroid Prime Pinball was bad? :o

anyway I personally would take Sonic over Zelda/Mario any day of the week. Sure they may be great at what they are, I just don't like anything Mario or Zelda has been doing after they went 3D. And it's not at all that 3D is bad. I am huge advocate of 3D, Sonic showed me basically that 3D flat out rules. The problem is that with 3D, Nintendo has taken a different approach. And I also find it a little ironic that Nintendo has been making such obnoxious or difficult games in 3D that, if you ask me, barely carry any of the elements from the 2D legacy and have alienated new gamers just as well as anyone else (maybe even more, than Halo and GTA, which are rightfully rounding up the demographic by the hordes?) are barely fit for anyone BUT the very experienced "hardcore" gamers and long time fans, BUT now Nintendo is turning around and going the opposite extreme by focusing on nongamer material like Nintendogs, Miis, etc.

Or am I the only one who finds that ironic.

FReaking Mario and Sonic in a sports crossover game...Would've been cooler if they switched worlds...Anyways that game is gonna suck and crowbar I respect your opinion but Sonic was ruined once Sonic 06 came out. I actually think that, after watching vids., SatSR brang back that "as fast as you can" feeling back but this is just going to ruin both characters.

I doubt this would ruin Mario. Like, how could it ruin it more than the sports spinoffs have? Or Smash Bros?

But it's a step down for Sonic. Sonic and Mario were once rivals. But they both changed since then. The key difference now is that Sonic is an actual canon whereas Mario is only a bit more than a puppet to be franchised excessively. So it's a step down for Sonic. But to Mario, it makes absolutely no difference.

A game which serves to humble Sonic is the opposite of what Sonic needs at this point in time.

It's like comparing a naive young spirited (but a bit nerdy) college freshman to an old (but experienced) shameless hooker. Only one of the two is threatened here.

• The Ultimate Power!!
  • winxp msie6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2007, 08:04:56 pm »
No it's because Mario has hella' sports games but one that takes place at the olyimpics??!!!That's kinda' going too far.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 03:34:42 pm »
Well, here's a sports game that Sonic has: Sega Splash Golf.
[http://www.sonicstadium.org/sonicnews/287/]

Sonic has been confirmed to be the main "caddy" and other characters like Tails and Nights, Ulala, Opa Opa Clan and others join in the mix. I really hope they'll port this to the Wii once it comes to U.S!
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline eggFL

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 06:45:12 pm »
Well that game looks kind of lame. But the girl is cute.

Cel shaded Sonic. It's been a while.  :x

Also, a Japan-only PC-only game? Quit odd...

• The Ultimate Power!!
  • winxp msie6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2007, 09:51:10 pm »
the girl is cute ><
                      U

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2007, 04:18:25 am »
Heh, the graphics and the girl are cute and if it's as good as Mario Golf I'm really looking forward to this.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2007, 11:50:51 am »
Same. Let's hope for a US release.. on the Wii! :D
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2007, 06:11:52 pm »
Guys it's not a "Sonic" game. It's just a game with Sonic making a random cameo.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2007, 07:24:22 pm »
^ OKAY THANKS SCROOGE

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2007, 05:35:14 pm »
Guys it's not a "Sonic" game. It's just a game with Sonic making a random cameo.
Wow, you mean a game called "SEGA Splash Golf" isn't a Sonic game???
(Okay, I'll stop.)

I don't know how eggFL can decide if the game's good, just from two screenshots.
It looks to me like it's to Mario Golf what Sonic Shuffle was to Mario Party. The quality? Who knows?

Finally, the girl is cute. :P

And more finally, look how tall Sonic is! 3'3", definitely!
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Print

Hits: 450 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.11 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.