don't click here

500 things that make sonic better than mario

Print

Author Topic: 500 things that make sonic better than mario  (Read 58376 times)

Offline eggFL

Re: 500 things that make sonic better than mario
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2007, 03:54:53 pm »
No Chao_Fan, Alondite said that Sonic's 2D games have been meh as of late. You have a different opinion than him, you can't say that he is right, you would be contradicting yourself. >:O

Anyway, look, it's like this. Sonic and Mario do completely different things in 3D. Sonic remains a classic-style action platformer. Mario does puzzles and fetch quest shit. Granted, Mario is doing really good fetch quest shit while Sonic's games are lacking polish. However Sonic is RADICALLY COOL. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Kickass oranges.

On the GBA? It's no contest. The Mario games are awesome timeless classics. They are inspiring and give us a taste of what could have been. Whereas Sonic's ADD games on the Advance don't hold up to Mario or other Sonic games on any console.

Needless to say I'd take Sonic over Mario any day of the week. At least until they make a Mario for Xbox. (which is inevitable!!! INEVITABLE!!)

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2007, 08:27:48 pm »
Needless to say I'd take Sonic over Mario any day of the week. At least until they make a Mario for Xbox. (which is inevitable!!! INEVITABLE!!)
lolno, not with the sales the Wii's been having.  Nor do I think XBox 360 or PS3 need Mario; your Oblivions, GoWs and MGSs of the world are going to appeal to those console's key demos far more.

The thing that grates me most about modern Sonic (other than gameplay issues, obviously) is that I really did think Sonic was cool before the 3D titles, but now with the Tails-being-a-complete-wuss-ness, the Amy-being-so-badly-stereotyped-it's-sexist-ness, and the Shadow-is-utterly-one-dimensional-ness, it's lost the magic.  For me, at least.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline sonicandamy

• The Orginal DsS
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • ^ sonicandamy-your lovable sonic rush boss leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 01:07:04 am »
ummm.... topic:500 things that make sonic better than mario, keep teh list going.
Megabyte-sized sigs can get off the internet.
-Rolken

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2007, 09:19:04 pm »
douglas: Like you said, modern. SA is not modern, as it's different from the latest games,
not to mention that it's in the earlier half of Sonic's history. Sonic made a successful jump into 3-D,
and this opinion is held by many, even if they don't know it's the best game ever made.
And the complaints you have are all about the truly modern games, or rather, the Sonic X-influenced games.

eggFL: Sonic wins on GBA, as Mario doesn't even have games that you could use to compare to Sonic.
Sure, they're good. I haven't played the GBA Sonics enough, but Mario could easily be better.
But those aren't even true GBA games, anyway. That's like saying Sonic has an awesome collection
of games on GCN because he has Mega Collection and SADX. Oh, wait, isn't that me? Ah, never mind.

And what was that thing about Mario on XBox supposed to mean?
You think he'd suddenly be cooler? Are you trying to prove your XBox-fanboyness?
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2007, 11:18:14 pm »
So where are these 500 things.

ill sue u all

Offline eggFL

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 09:04:44 am »
douglas: Like you said, modern. SA is not modern, as it's different from the latest games,
not to mention that it's in the earlier half of Sonic's history.

Sonic Adventure does not belong in the "earlier half of Sonic's history". It's part of the new generation Sonic that has OUTLIVED the old generation considerably. All the 3D Sonics starting with Sonic Adventure as a collective whole belong in the same group and deserve recognition together as the current gen of Sonic.

You think he'd suddenly be cooler? Are you trying to prove your XBox-fanboyness?

Well it couldn't be PS3 because that would be the first to go.

lolno, not with the sales the Wii's been having.  Nor do I think XBox 360 or PS3 need Mario; your Oblivions, GoWs and MGSs of the world are going to appeal to those console's key demos far more.

The thing that grates me most about modern Sonic (other than gameplay issues, obviously) is that I really did think Sonic was cool before the 3D titles, but now with the Tails-being-a-complete-wuss-ness, the Amy-being-so-badly-stereotyped-it's-sexist-ness, and the Shadow-is-utterly-one-dimensional-ness, it's lost the magic.  For me, at least.

A while ago I have retrospectively realized that Sonic wasn't truly born to me until Sonic Adventure, and it has been seriously nothing /but/ magic ever since.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 10:49:08 pm »
Sonic Adventure does not belong in the "earlier half of Sonic's history". It's part of the new generation Sonic that has OUTLIVED the old generation considerably. All the 3D Sonics starting with Sonic Adventure as a collective whole belong in the same group and deserve recognition together as the current gen of Sonic.

Well it couldn't be PS3 because that would be the first to go.

A while ago I have retrospectively realized that Sonic wasn't truly born to me until Sonic Adventure, and it has been seriously nothing /but/ magic ever since.
1. Sonic Adventure looks and plays kind of differently from the newer games. Plus, it's old.
I understand your point, though. It is the beginning of the 3-D platformer set.
Also, by saying that the new generation outlived the old generation,
you are showing that you already know about this shocking discovery. Right? (More on that after.)

2. That's not the point. Why would Mario improve on another company's systems?
(Of course, it won't happen. Unless this information is false, Nintendo once said that they
won't become a 3rd-party developer. So if Mario can't be on a Nintendo system, he dies.)

3. I thought you were complaining about how bad SA is in an earlier thread.
Anyway, I agree on the "wasn't truly born" part (I liked Sonic games already, but
I didn't really get into the Sonic series until SA), but I don't agree that it's "nothing but magic".
The 3-D games have a lot of flaws. Yes, even SA has flaws. I can overlook most of them,
and somehow I can enjoy the 3-D games as much as or more than the 2-D games.
By "most", I mean that I still get frustrated occasionally, and that I still HATE the new voices.

Okay, so to conclude this off-topic post, I'd like to present this less-than-detailed Sonic timeline.
It shows one of the shocking facts that shatters the false image of SA that is held by so many.
In case anyone's wondering, it ends at June '07 to stay at a simple 16 years.
I marked the current time on it, although it's so close that it barely matters.
Yes, that's right. SA is over 8 years old, yet it was released 7 1/2 years after the first game! OH NO!!!!!!!11111one
There are two other facts, one about Robotnik's name, and the other about Sonic's appearance, but they're even more off-topic.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2007, 02:53:01 am »
I thought you were complaining about how bad SA is in an earlier thread.

I always said SA is the dumbest 3D Sonic. But it fired up everyone's imaginations and set the stage for the new identity of Sonic that would eventually start stride after stride for 3D Sonic as well as games that are overall considerably better than it. Between all the 3D Sonics, the series has done great things, and as a whole, I'd probably take them over the 2D legacy.

It's like saying "can you imagine Girl A's face on Girl B's body?" Imagine a Sonic game with Heroes stage length and consistency, SA2 gameplay and controls, and Sonic06 graphics, style, and soundtrack. 2D Sonic couldn't compete with that. Really, nothing in this world could.

I still HATE the new voices.

I like them... <_<

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2007, 05:24:15 am »
But which one would you steal the camera from (ie which is *least* broken)?
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!

Offline eggFL

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2007, 06:15:36 pm »
well the camera has never really been an real issue to me, so I'm not sure I can say.... But I guess the right answer could be Sonic06. All the other games barely even let you move it. The freedom in the camera probably lends itself to a better type of stage design. But having to move the camera is a liability. In Sonic06, I press jump with my index finger. It's not a big deal, but I partly wish I didn't.

No, you know what... I pick SA2 Knuckles/Rouge camera.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2007, 07:34:18 pm »
I agree that a 3-D Sonic probably has more potential. (It would be interesting to see what
can be done with 2-D, though... like a 3-D sidescroller with some modern features (grade system).)

If I could be the developer or producer of a Sonic Adventure, I'd try to do better than to take the
best of other Sonic games. Probably easier said than done, but this is fantasy, anyway.
I'd take SA or SA2 gameplay (while attempting to fix the minor flaws), a new grade/rank system,
the SADX camera (seems like everyone forgets how good this one is when it's not being
blocked out by Auto Camera leftovers), better-than-Sonic06 graphics (if it's for a next-gen
system, that is), basically-like-SA controls (the floaty feel is nice, but I like how SA makes
Sonic feel like he actually has weight, and without having exaggerated physics like N64 Mario games...
also, SA2's multiple commands on one button thing has to go), and a mostly-SA soundtrack
(that takes various styles from various Sonic games), including the original SA voices,
or at least sound-alike actors.

This off-topic post reminds me again that I should make a thread for my Sonic game ideas.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2007, 01:31:46 am »
I have sick ideas for Sonic games. Sonic06 made me think of a new one. (all my ideas before Sonic06 were spinoff-ish except for one, and that one only features 2 characters, Sonic Shadow and Eggman) Make a thread, I'll tell you all about it and make pictures. It's SA-like. Characters are Sonic, a new hedgehog who plays TCGs, a female cop fox who uses a handgun, Shadow who lost his powers and has to use a handgun, Espio, and probably Metal Sonic who has the power to morph into other characters from the Sonic universe. The villain is a snake-like character named Venom and Sonic has a duel disk to give him new abilities like being able to materialize dash plates on the fly. (by throwing a card on the ground in front of him when he runs)

Oh and you can't possibly ask for a better soundtrack than Sonic06's. It sets the standard for which our highest expectations and fantasies will go by. That's my h.o.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2007, 02:46:10 am »
I have sick ideas for Sonic games. Sonic06 made me think of a new one. (all my ideas before Sonic06 were spinoff-ish except for one, and that one only features 2 characters, Sonic Shadow and Eggman) Make a thread, I'll tell you all about it and make pictures. It's SA-like. Characters are Sonic, a new hedgehog who plays TCGs, a female cop fox who uses a handgun, Shadow who lost his powers and has to use a handgun, Espio, and probably Metal Sonic who has the power to morph into other characters from the Sonic universe. The villain is a snake-like character named Venom and Sonic has a duel disk to give him new abilities like being able to materialize dash plates on the fly. (by throwing a card on the ground in front of him when he runs)

Reading that made me feel physically sick :(
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline eggFL

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2007, 04:04:25 am »
I can't even begin to tell you how awesome my idea is.

You'll see.

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 08:20:36 am »
59. Sonic has a girlfriend (Mario will die alone).
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2007, 08:50:50 am »
Mario has Princess Peach. And sometimes old Pauline shows up. And he once had to rescue Daisy. >_>

And the new Amy is a mad stalker. (The old one was cute.)
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2007, 09:08:57 am »
I think that Peach isn't Mario's girlfriend. She is only the princess helped by Mario in some games.

Offline tails07

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2007, 05:16:27 pm »
And the new Amy is a mad stalker. (The old one was cute.)

i wouldnt say stalker. but yeah, she is a huge fangirl of sonic's at the least.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Offline eggFL

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2007, 09:20:30 pm »
I think that Peach isn't Mario's girlfriend. She is only the princess helped by Mario in some games.

err how old are you?

She bakes him cake. CAKE!!

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2007, 05:18:03 am »
What I meant was that I have never heard of an official source that Peach was Mario's girfriend. However, in the manual of Sonic Advance (yes, I read the manuals of my games xD) it is said that Amy is Sonic's girlfriend.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2007, 07:58:44 am »
59. Sonic has a girlfriend (Mario will die alone).

er um.. peach?

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2007, 08:38:58 am »
Have you read my post above? >_>

Offline eggFL

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2007, 12:23:38 pm »
until they make MARIO FOR XBOX

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2007, 04:28:28 pm »
Wait wait wait.  Where's his emo black friend packing stupid amounts of guns?  I call BS.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2007, 05:53:53 am »
He's not black, he's hispanic.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2007, 08:39:00 am »
Shadow is hispanic?! o_O
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline eggFL

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2007, 09:11:06 am »
No not Shadow. I thought he was talking about Jorge.

Or maybe I didn't... but since I did in fact think of a Shadow clone for Mario, AND linked to a image of him in this thread, I thought it would be perfect if I pretended to assume that he was talking about him.

see below:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:20:32 am by eggFL »

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2007, 09:09:19 pm »
mario has no real plot to it

Offline eggFL

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2007, 11:42:18 pm »
I had an observation a few days ago. The violent, realistic, and "mature" games out there are in fact more expressive than Nintendo franchises. And Nintendo franchises are kiddy and are viewed as being more creative for that reason, but if anything the opposite is true. Nintendo tends to be on the primitive end as far as next gen multimedia expression goes. They stick to their styles, and that's a good thing, but you get more personality and life playing most first person shooters, etc

This is also one of the big differences between Sonic and Mario.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2007, 04:24:41 am »
Creative and expressive?  Sonic games use the most derivative, clichéd plots ever.  EVER.  If you think they're not, you don't read enough.  Their "personality" and "life" are tacked on by marketing execs looking to leverage the key demo, and it shows.

Print

Hits: 685 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.25 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.