don't click here

Opinions, Angst, Uncharacteristic Posting, and the Like

Print

Author Topic: Opinions, Angst, Uncharacteristic Posting, and the Like  (Read 5079 times)

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Opinions, Angst, Uncharacteristic Posting, and the Like
« on: December 27, 2006, 01:07:21 am »
Everyone has something to say that would surprise people they know. Which is why they don't say it.

However, recently I have been launching assaults on the social norm. Even though saying this is the same as giving a penny to a homeless man and fighting poverty, or killing a skin cell to prevent cancer. Ignore that. Basically, say anything here you want...without being judged! No stigma attached! Be as much an idiot as you've always wanted to be, and this time people will be nonchalant instead of easily offended. Just don't make a habit out of it outside this controlled environment, because then it is socailly required for others to pretend they are a better person than you. Consider this a sandbox of sorts.

I guess I'll start this off.

Opinions are only a way to give self-validation to human existance. Thus, this whole post is an ego trip for me. When formulating an opinion, nobody ever considers what anyone else has said because they want to convince themselves that they reached a conclusion with no assistance. That is why direct confrontation never works; others do not like feeling that others were able to realize things before themselves. For the sake of irony, make of this what you will as it pertains to the content and delivery of this post.

Also, unless there is something fundamentally wrong with me, which I do not believe, people put far too much stock in the human thought  process and emotions. Thinking is not a coherent process; thoughts wander, and come all at once. Really. Whole trains of logic run themselves off at once, and people don't realize what they're thinking until they're a good way through, especially when speaking. If you didn't notice, talking and thinking do not synch up; when you speak, you might notice that you don't actually think anything new, or you do so at a slower pace. This all means that humans run on instinct alone. The end.

Oh, and there's this part: we kid ourselves when we think we feel things emotionally. Personally, I don't, but I pretend to because it's easier than dealing with the immediate shock effect produced by not relating to someone else. Which begs the question of how many others do, and why others insist on holding community values over individual values. The only natural emotion is fear, which is instinctual. Happiness and sadness are synthetic feelings, and therefore irrelevant; true equilibrium is in feeling neither. We subconciously tell ourselves that we are happy or sad, and become happy or sad based on it. The next time that someone, say, dies, try and make yourself happy, and you will not be sad. Or when something good happens, see if you can spiral yourself into a depression. You can, by the way.

Fear is the only natural emotion because it is only natural to protect yourself. You know, to avoid death. And so on. I don't much feel like explaining this one because that's the end of the line, and it's more fact than anything else.

And now, it's your turn.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions, Angst, Uncharacteristic Posting, and the Like
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 06:26:23 am »
I think you might want to extend that a little. Since public speaking ranks higher on people's fears than death, I'd say people would want to protect their life and their ego.

Anyhow, I'm going to throw what genus said right out the window and propose an alternate theory.

There are two natural emotions. One feels good, and one feels bad. We make up different names for them (eg: good = joy, love, hope etc, bad = fear, despair etc) but it's pretty obvious which one you're feeling at any given time.

While I agree that they're synthetic to the extent that you can make yourself "good" or "bad" by your actions, surely you would initially feel shock and loss if you were told one of your close friends suddenly died, for example.

But of course, you can always find a way to get yourself into that more preferable "good" zone. And that is where my real post begins.

Through your thoughts you attract people and situations into your life. Those who are positive thinkers tend to attract positive people and positive situations - vice versa for negatives. Here's the trick: Positive people are thinking about what they want - they want that new car, or that job, or that shiny new DS game. As long as they persist being positive, the opportunity will present itself - and all you have to do is take it.

Negative people are thinking about what they don't want - they don't want to be robbed or their house burn down, their kids to do drugs, or whatever. The trick is that as long as they think about that, then it happens. Then they think about the negative consequences, and they come, and so on spiralling down. The only way out is to return to positive thinking.

Lesson learned, hopefully.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 07:59:49 am »
On topic with genus' "sandbox" idea; I like cheese =]

ps lol @ mikes sig
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline eggFL

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 07:51:18 pm »
Oh, and there's this part: we kid ourselves when we think we feel things emotionally. Personally, I don't, but I pretend to because it's easier than dealing with the immediate shock effect produced by not relating to someone else. Which begs the question of how many others do, and why others insist on holding community values over individual values. The only natural emotion is fear, which is instinctual. Happiness and sadness are synthetic feelings, and therefore irrelevant; true equilibrium is in feeling neither. We subconciously tell ourselves that we are happy or sad, and become happy or sad based on it.

That's such crap.

well, I'm done. =|

Offline Stefan

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 04:06:56 pm »
One thing I've noticed, genus, is that you always want to make what you do "right". You usually make topics where the first couple sentecnes are "without criticism, say what you want". I have to say this right here proves that we don't only instinctually fear death, but we also fear a loss of credibility or ego, as Mike says. How others see us affects our lives to a great deal, whether you bs yourself into thinking it doesn't or not, you don't want to be looked down upon badly. i think this itself proves that humans aren't entirely instinctual, as no other animal's instinct regards their ego or how they look in other animals' eyes (the exception being in mating).

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 07:46:00 pm »
A  valid point, I suppose. I still stand by my original argument, and to explain my logic would be to prove you right. I will not do that.

Well, maybe a little.

Consider a pack of wolves. If one of the wolves does not hunt, the rest of the pack will kick him out. That's it really. Do with that what you so wish, for that is the whole point of ambiguous examples! Be sure to include something about how the human social state is the same thing because your chances of survival or procreation are low once removed from the protection of others because lack of emotion will get you put in, say, an insane asylum.

Also I add these disclaimers for other people, which is wonderfully consistant with the inference you drew from the wolf analogy. Or maybe it clashes with it on the fundamental level, so my opinion can't possibly be valid.

There are holes in my logic and I know it; but I don't care. That's one of the points of this topic, to test arguments on other people. Sometimes it induces amusing reactions when you propose an idea with somewhat valid (or completely nonsensical, this produces the really amusing situations) reasoning just to disagree with people. For example:

If it is a Monday, and someone tells you that they will have something done for you by, say, next Wednesday, why is it assumed that they mean 10 days from Monday and not 2? The next Wednesday is 2 days later; the Wednesday being referenced is 10. By saying "next Wednesday", you are ignoring the middle man. Don't. Say "the Wednesday that occurrs in one week plus 3 days which you may know as 'next wednesday'.

Yes, I realize that days of the week come in groups of 7, and it is correct to say "next wednesday". But people generally don't know how to respond to things like that on the spot.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Stefan

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 07:53:23 pm »
Understand I'm not trying to criticize you; I am just trying to use simple arguments that you will relate to to prove you wrong.

Realize that this wolf doesn't fear rejection as actually being rejection. The wolf fears a loss of resource and mating that comes from rejection from the pack. Most humans don't use social status or friendships as a means of resource (mating maybe). If a kid is rejected at school, all that's going to happen is he will feel bad. He's not going to get less food, he's not going to get worse shelter. He's not going to lose resource if he doesn't have his dignity.

Print

Hits: 47 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.03 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.