don't click here

My thoughts on a Sonic RPG

Print

Author Topic: My thoughts on a Sonic RPG  (Read 4781 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
My thoughts on a Sonic RPG
« on: December 07, 2006, 10:24:33 pm »
I know the idea of putting Sonic in a RPG sounds crazy, but hear me out. My ideas are designed to make an RPG that attempts to maintain the trademark sense of speed as much as possible.
-Rating: E10
-Difficulty: Tough, but battles are more about player skill than about leveling up. Some boss fights would require some real clever tactics to defeat.
-Dungeon design: Dungeons would resemble traditional 3D Sonic like levels, but with a camera perspective more like a Tales game to prevent camera based disasters. There would be platforming, but the penalty for falling off a pit would be quite mild, such as some slight damage to the party before you respawn at the start of a platforming section. Each character has a special ability they can use if they are the party leader. Puzzles would involve clever use of those abilities (you'll have to change leaders sometimes). Secret areas of a dungeon or parts of a dungeon you have to revisit later can be explored by using the ability of a party member you got but didn't have at the time you first explored the dungeon.
-Battles: No random battles. Enemies appear in the dungeon normally. If you get a sneak attack on the enemy, you get a first strike on them. The same happens to you if enemies get the first strike. Merely running into enemies does not cause a first strike for anyone. When in battle, the battle system is like something you would see in Tales of Symphonia. Link to example here. Look under gameplay movie 13. http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/rpg/talesofphantasia/media.html The reason for this is because that battle system is fast paced, intense, and most importantly, fun. Team Blasts (tribute to Chrono Trigger's team attacks) would exist in the form of a TB gauge. Filling it 1/3 allows for a 2 man Team blast (your controlled character + one partner of your choice. 2/3 full = three man attack (your character + 2 characters of your choice). Full gauge= 4 man Team Blast.
-Characters: Playable characters would include Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Espio, Omega, Blaze, and Rouge.
-Other: I would intend the game's story to be funny. It would be light hearted, not take itself very seriously, and have some real clever dialouge (even items would have some form of funny or sarcastic description). EXP gain and level ups are fast to reduce the need to grind and maintain fast pacing. The level cap would be up to level 5000.
-Thoughts anyone?
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on a Sonic RPG
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 06:11:32 pm »
^It sounds like it would work, Sonic is long overdue for an RPG.

I believe that www.knuckleschaotix.info put together an RPG Maker RPG (I think it was "Chaotix of Tomorrow" or something, I didn't check because fan-fictions aren't my thing), but of course RPG Maker can't make platforming games and whatnot.  Or, if anybody drew some character sprites, we could beg ARRPEEGEE to alter the next TSCA *shot*.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 10:35:10 pm »
Too bad everything needs programming and an amount of work that may only be possible
by professionals (they don't have to do it in their free time).

This already sounds good. Funny story? Sounds more like AoStH than Sonic X, and that's
definitely a good thing. Real-time battles? Also sounds cool. I'm not sure about the camera,
though. Is this kind of like side-scrolling? (I haven't played the Tales games.)
A regular 3-D Sonic view is fine, if it's like the Free Camera, and if Sonic doesn't die from falling.
Could you make some pictures of this game? At least some quick, sloppy ones,
just so I can see sort of what it would look like?

I was already thinking about making a thread about Sonic game ideas a while ago.
My ideas right now are SA3, SADX True Edition, and SA64 (yes, 64).
I'll probably be using sloppy drawings, at least for some of it.
3-D rendering can be used, but it takes too much work.
Also, I haven't been able to make a good Sonic model,
and the Amy model still needs a little work.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 11:35:26 pm »
The game play movie I linked to shows the kind of camera a typical Tales game uses (pseudo birds-eye). I'm a terrible artist,so these are just ideas. The humor would be more like the humor in Disgaea, toned down to reflect E10.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Print

Hits: 676 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1004.88 KB | Time: 0.20s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.