don't click here

Sonic 06 and Sonic Genesis release

Print

Author Topic: Sonic 06 and Sonic Genesis release  (Read 35343 times)

Offline Rolken

Sonic 06 and Sonic Genesis release
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:07:51 am »
The final word is in on S1GBA - the problems that it was experiencing in 95%-form have most definitely not been fixed. Don't buy it. I mean it. If you're really tempted to, wait until a ROM gets dumped first to give it a test run.

Sonic 06/360/next/whatever is also out, but the only review I know of so far is from Play Magazine, which gave it a 9.5 (!). magnum12 from TSC's gotten the game early through Target shipment hax and has been giving us impressions in the chat, which I'll transcribe in the comments.

Update - Well, there's two new Sonic06 reviews... and... uh... they suck. I could tell you why they both gave it a 5.x, but if you've played any 3D Sonic you can probably guess for yourself.

Update2 - A caveat on Play Magazine and why their score is unreliably high in the comments. :/
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Crowbar

Re: Sonic 06 and Sonic Genesis release
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 05:19:37 am »
I think the only thing more upsetting than the state of Sonic games today is the state of gaming journalism.

They think it's the GameGear version.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:15:02 am »
Since the "remake" most likely sucks, I suggest spending the money that would go towards that game on Disgaea 2, a supremely awesome strategy RPG for the PS2. Deep, addicting gameplay plus a hilarious yet twisted sense of humor equals an extremely good time. :)
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 10:16:30 am »
Quote from: Gamespy
but the most glaring issue with Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis is that Sonic is completely neutered of his ability to run really, really fast because the game suffers from serious slow-down issues. [...] and you leave out the one thing that said character is known for. When you take away Sonic's trademark breakneck speed, what are you left with? An incredibly substandard and unfun game, apparently.
Looks terribly like the sonic jam for game.com reviews. :P

P.S. the "Game On" show gave Sonic the Hedgehog a 8.7.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 11:00:52 am by F-Man »

Offline Irikok

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 04:32:53 pm »
20$... I'll buy it.

By the way, the SPA maps are awesome :D Where did you find those maps?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 02:41:26 pm by Irikok »

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 04:37:27 pm »
Don't waste your money on it.

I think Rolk hacked into the SPA rom and pieced together the map pieces.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 05:48:30 pm »
This has significantly lowered ranks on my priority list.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 09:45:43 pm »
I was hoping the GBA port wouldn't go bad...
At least I've still got my PSP's Genesis emulator, which easily runs all the Genesis Sonic games at their full speed with proper settings.  Emulators are the main use for my PSP, actually, along with Sonic Rivals.  The PSP is my Sonic machine :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 09:19:15 pm by Auriman1 »
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 12:36:11 am »
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Irikok

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 01:54:45 am »
I didn't see that vid yesterday. The game is even slower than gamespy's review says. I'll wait for the rom xD.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 06:05:34 am »
Oh my God. I didn't think it was possible to make GHZ sound so terrible.

And if they can get the spring and ring sound effects right why can't they do the same for any of the others??

Oh God and that background glitching at the end. Horrendous.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 12:48:43 pm »
On Play Magazine's review. I thought 9.5 seemed extraordinarily high, so I checked their review history, and... well... they have a certain optimism towards sonic games. According to gamerankings:

Sonic Heroes - A (highest)
Shadow the Hedgehog - 7.5 (second highest)
Sonic Rush - 9.5 (highest)
Sonic Advance 2 - 5/5 (highest)
Sonic Advance 3 - B (maybe Sega cut their advertising)

I'm tempted to wonder if they get paid off by Sega - Sega at least appreciates their opinions, as they quote Play's reviews in places like the official Rush site. At any rate, its scores are less than credible.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:59:03 pm by Rolken »

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 01:24:24 pm »
At least Rush and Advance 2 are deserving of their scores. >_>

Also it is my opinion that Heroes and Shadow weren't that bad, albeit not perfect. Call me optimistic, but I didn't mind the games (the PS2 versions, nonetheless). Just a few problems here and there (such as general slowness in Shadow jump dashing, Shadow's shitty spindash, or Heroes' lame filler characters (i.e. Cream, who was originally made for Heroes)).

And yes, I'm proud that I got heroes the day it appeared on shelves. :( (To any negative response: fu)
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Rolken

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 04:40:10 pm »
I highly disagree that the games deserved those scores. 9.5+ games are supposed to be jawdroppingly awesome, games that pretty much any gamer can recognize as being great. HalfLife, GTA, Mario64, Zelda qualify. Advance 2 and Rush do not, and Heroes particularly doesn't. I hardly hear non Sonic fans even mention any of those games, much less harbor enthusiasm for them.

"Not that bad" qualifies for a 6 or maybe 7 tops, with a "pretty spanking good" for 8. Beyond that rating systems lose any meaning.

Also my impression was that Shadow got raped in reviews more for lack of improvement and abuse of the Sonic franchise more than any particular technical flaws. I didn't mind the gameplay myself, but I still wouldn't give it over a 7.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 04:59:27 pm »
What I usually do in terms of "professional reviews" is ignore them and see for myself (i.e. rent first) unless the average score is greater than an 8 or less than a 4.
My opinion on Shadow is similar to Rolken's, except that I noticed some improvements in the camera, light dash (fixed issues with light dash and blue shields), and major improvements in rail switching physics. So far, Sonic 06 is much better than Heroes or Shadow from my experiences.
-Edit: I've heard that 1UP and gamebrink are not the most reliable sources for a review.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:04:50 pm by magnum12 »

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 07:10:14 pm »
maybe SEGA cuts some of Sonic Team's funding to give it to PLAY :p I mean if anyone has seen a PLAY mag, its really high quality stuff.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 09:35:17 pm »
Someone dumped a ROM of S1GBA (Sonic Genesis).

IT'S FUCKING AWFUL.

Don't waste $20 on it. Don't even waste $5 for a used copy. Just forget that it even exists.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 01:54:05 am »
It really is.

Because I'm a sadist, I uploaded it for yall.

edit: and because I'm masochistic enough to play through it, a save file
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 03:50:01 am by Rolken »

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 08:14:09 am »
Definitely the worst Sonic game ever by far.  I mean, I knew it would be bad, but . . . ugh.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006, 07:35:30 pm »
Trust me, it IS HORRIBLE! And to think, I thought it would be okay. Psshh!
Wiiloveit

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2006, 08:47:21 pm »
I've seen videos of this on Youtube. Holy fucking shit it is seriously the worst thing ever.

I think it defines a whole new level of horrible in gaming all by itself, in almost every possible way.

Oh yeah, and Sonic 06 looks really mediocre, too.

WHO KNOWS THE BIG SPOILER IN THE LAST STORY EH?? HAHAHAHAHA!

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 09:41:19 pm »
It's not that big. I knew about the whole story before the game even came out. :P
But, yeah, I liked the ending to Silver's Story more than I did the Final Ending. I just hated the music that was played during the "SPOILER" of "SPOILER" - again, talking about Silver's.

Although, I did like the Introduction to the Last Episode a lot. I just didn't like Knuckles' expression when "SPOILER SPOILER". Omega looked like he could care less, but I loved the expressions of Tails, Amy, Rouge, and Shadow (even Eggman seemed a little upset!) - and no, I don't have the game; although I KNEW what happen'd I SAW the scenes on YouTube from various users. Amy just seemd to lag on with her "emotion". I didn't like the scene right after the End of the World act.

Anyway, so did you get it? Guess not since you said 06 "looks" mediocre. Ah well. Just curious. There's my ramblings on 06 for the day.
Wiiloveit

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 10:13:02 pm »
I tried Sonic Genesis (downloaded it, of course) last month. It's old news, but TSC was down the whole time.
It's unbelievable how badly-made it is. The title screen is flat (one layer plus the Sonic emblem),
and there are no animations. The framerate is so choppy that it's a little hard to play.
The invincibility music plays about 40-50% longer than I remember because the game's so slow.
I guess this explains why the Sonic Advance games had less-than-deep backgrounds.
And isn't the GBA supposed to be quite a bit more powerful than the Genesis?

(I haven't looked at the real Genesis version in a while, but I remember it well enough.
The framerate in the real version shudders a little, but it's not so bad that it hinders gameplay.)
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2006, 10:23:40 pm »
As Marth said, it's kind of old news, but I tried the Sonic Genesis rom out as well. How did they manage to make it run so slowly/choppily when they sacrificed things as basic as sound quality, part of the screen display, and brick collapse animations?!
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2006, 10:25:18 pm »
Anyway, so did you get it? Guess not since you said 06 "looks" mediocre. Ah well. Just curious. There's my ramblings on 06 for the day.

Nah, not even got a 360, I just saw a gif of Mephiles doing the dirty deed on 4chan.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2006, 10:28:27 pm »
I finished playing the last story. The game has issues, but its not as bad as the critics say it is.
-Pros: * Good story.
* Awesome level music.
* Sweet enemies and bosses.
*Some of the best level designs in a while.
*Sonic (when not in mach speed or on a snowboard), Silver, Blaze, Shadow (when not on a vehicle except the hang glider, note that I always play on foot except when nessecary) and to a lesser extent Omega are quite fun to play.
*Camera is better than previous games (especially SA2).
*Decent voice acting (except Silver, Omega, and towns folk). Special props to Mephilies for sounding like a good villian.
-Meh.
*The gameplay of Tails and Amy.
-Cons: *The snow boarding and mach speed sections are a nightmare to deal with. The former because the jumps and rails are inconsistent in terms of executing right. The later because the controls suck (especially since you can't change direction mid air).
*The camera is still bad, primarily when attempting some short cuts and during boss fights.
*The vehicles suck.
*The gameplay of Knuckles and Rouge. Rouge's gameplay sucks more than Knuckles' gameplay does because you have to go through treasure hunting hell without ANY radar.
*Load times, load times, load times.
-Overall: A mixed bag overall. Still, with X-Box Live around, there is still hope. Most of the problems with the game could be fixed with a good patch (improve Sonic's acceleration, Shadows acceleration/top speed, Silver's top speed, fix load times, give treasure hunting sections a good radar). a 6.5-7/10.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2006, 10:39:57 pm »
I'm actually watching some of the cutscenes now on Youtube. Mostly they look pretty lame (especially the one where spoiler spoilers spoiler), but Shadow's ending is quite cool.

Okay and Silver's intro is good too. Shame he can't do that in-game huuur.

What's Blaze's gameplay actually like, by the way?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 11:00:57 pm by Crowbar »

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2006, 12:00:01 am »
I disagree about the story being good, on account that everyone is out of character for worse (Blaze especially), the fact that we have another Shadow clone on our hands, and also the Elise-kissing-Sonic part. It all seems like bad fan-fiction to me.

And Blaze plays kind of like she did in Rush; A little slower than Sonic, but instead of hax hovering (which Silver stole), she gets a double jump technique. She can also utilize a homing-attackish move and a move similar to Sonic's sliding techniqe, except she turns into a spinning flame vortex (which can't jump like in Rush. Sega continuity ftl).

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2006, 08:45:53 am »
Yeah I saw Blaze's non-fiery-spinning-top jump in a clip where she hangs about with Silver during a boss-fight. Sucks.

From what cutscenes I've seen (all of Silver's so far, GOD BLESS YOUTUBE) the plot premise is pretty good (despite lots of convoluted time-travelling), but it's just executed so poorly. The direction of the cutscenes is fucking terrible most of the time, and the acting, both in terms of voices and character animation, actually seems to be a step DOWN from SA2!

And people are getting way too hung up about that kiss. It was too predictable to be that big of a deal (though I'm not saying it's a good thing or anything).

Having watched everything now, I see that the ending is ripped straight from Final Fantasy VIII. I must admit I don't really dislike it, though.

One thing that continues to bug me is why Mephiles couldn't simply merge with Iblis in Silver's future. I mean, they were both THERE, so what was stopping him?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 11:10:35 am by Crowbar »

Offline DanielTheFalcon

• lolfalcon
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
  • lolihavelikenopiccuzimsokewl.
    • View Profile
    • Daniel The Falcon.com
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2006, 09:30:05 am »
STHG is indeed super uber-crap. Now, if they can remake Sonic 1, then (If the fix the slowdown) why cant they remake S3&K?

Print

Hits: 379 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.28 MB | Time: 0.17s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.