don't click here

A warning on false statistics

Print

Author Topic: A warning on false statistics  (Read 10750 times)

Offline Rolken

A warning on false statistics
« on: November 10, 2006, 05:19:57 pm »
The number of liars, cheaters and incompetents on TSC has spiked dramatically lately, and  this needs to be addressed publicly. I'm not entirely sure why it is - maybe we're becoming too popular, or attracting the wrong sort of traffic, who knows. But suffice it to say that there is no point in wasting your and our time submitting crap records.

And note the citation of "incompetents" in the first line. As far as I'm concerned, general stupidity such as "oh I typed in my times from memory" and "well I put in 0:15 instead of 1:05" is as banworthy as malicious false entries. A certain level of intelligence is required to be a member here, and the 'confirm stats' page is there for a reason. A couple mistakes will of course be excused, but if you make a habit of it do not expect it to be a habit much longer.

Basic gist: DON'T BE STUPID. Once our eyes are fixed on you, you will be required to prove yourself, and if your times are lies no amount of wriggling will spare you from your fate. And on the flipside, the occasional 'BS target' that actually DOES have real, superb records does just fine.

Surely some integrity is not that much to ask.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline KnucklesSonic8

Re: A warning on false statistics
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 07:20:02 pm »
Rolken definitely brings up a good point. Anyone reading this, please keep what he says in mind from now on (if you haven't already done so).
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:22:20 am »
Very well said.
Make outside notes of your personal records is an excelent habit.
you can run, but not fast enough...

Offline Rane

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 12:00:09 pm »
I kind of assumed that all this was common sense, when i started competing here (S3&K) 2-3 weeks ago i started by recording all my level records in .giz format before submitting them, assuming that this is what everyone does. Apparently not :-)

I guess no mercy for cheaters and liars is a good policy in that case

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 12:06:44 pm »
You would think that not cheating would be common sense. Guess this shows that some people were just not raised right. Oh well, no mercy for cheaters/liars is in order. All we need to do is for RPG and myself to come up with clever, original methods of TSC style execution for offending players based on the division that the cheater did their offense in. *Evil laugh*.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline X-5

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 01:06:01 pm »
exactly, what's the point in posting fake times, because what I would think most people want is the satisfaction of actually pulling off something and knowing it's #1, rather than faking it and in reality realizing you suck, What especially comes to mind here is the people that post pysically impossible times, huge WTF factor there.

About people who forget their times, just do them over again. Unless you've played the given level ten thousand times odds are you'll end up getting an even better time than you orignally had, as well as a potential record.

@rane; i'd say there's no point in going through all the effort recording just to provide as proof, unless you're getting really awesome times that you'd want recorded just for show. from what i've seen everyone here generally takes your word about the times you got, which is cool as opposed to other sites where you have to sit and record 200 seperate level times just because they're so hard on proof. (The-elite.net comes to mind here)

Offline Antronach

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 05:36:48 pm »
What I find sad is that some people go to far lengths to post false times to show that they are #1. What is even worse is that the fake time they posted might become #2 after a while. I guess some people don't have the patience to type (or write in my case) down their stats for some of the games. But the games that have a place where it records stats, the only way you might submit a false stat is if it was a typo or you have a mild case of dyslexya or something. The point is that if I have to go out of my way to submit real times, then others should to.
Quote from: Emma Lover
Solution? Live with it.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:44:35 pm »
I record all my times and scores in a mini notebook I keep with me at home, school, etc.  Hopefully I can get a DVR recorder soon (delay due to large price tag), and then I'll be able to make videos, too :)
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 02:12:56 am »
I gave up on writing times in my infamous time book, as I can't read my own writing. :) 5, 6 and 8 are basically interchangeable, and I'm sure I mistook a 2 for a 3 once.

I basically submit everything as soon as I get it now.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 04:56:50 am »
I type all my new stats into the scratch pad plugin on Google Desktop. But that doesn't really work without a laptop.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline X-5

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 07:09:36 am »
I just enter them as I get them as well, espcially levels that don't record times, because I can get a time then forget the decimal 20 seconds later. (And on SA2 I hate how 5's and 6's look almost exactly the same on the stage select screen)

Offline F-Man

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 10:22:49 am »
I used to type my SA2 times as well cause they were so small and hard to read in Level Select. Not anymore though, cause I got a bigger TV with a better display. I typed them in Notepad, I don't have a laptop, but I play my GameCube directly in front of my PC. ;)

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 02:45:31 pm »
if its 1 time that I just got and came down to the comp to put it in...then its simple.  But for a lot of stats I wruite them down in my notebooks.  I still have all of my SMB stats, but for sonic they get tossed or forgotten after awhile.  Then I used to make charts, then that got tedious overtime.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Super Azrael

• Chaos Chao with Aura
  • TSC: Azrael
  • Hopefully NOT my last Emerald!
    • View Profile
    • Ed or Tails
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 08:35:16 pm »
Wow, one mistyped number and you're banned? That's what I call maximum security.

That really deters me from submissions, because I can't prove it without a scanner and a camera. Looks like I'll only submit Genesis stats, mostly Ring counts if I ever get to iy.

KNUCKLES NICKED MY EMERALDS...

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 09:20:40 pm »
Er, no.  Mistype a number, and we will confront you with it.  If you maintain that it's real, and we know otherwise, banned.

As Rolken said, "Once our eyes are fixed on you, you will be required to prove yourself."  We know that things happen.  But ther's a Confirmation screen after you click "Submit" (idiot-proof shield 1) and a display of new records on the main page (2).  If your time appears on either, and it doesn't look right, submit again and fix it.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 04:20:31 am »
Wow, one mistyped number and you're banned? That's what I call maximum security.

That really deters me from submissions, because I can't prove it without a scanner and a camera. Looks like I'll only submit Genesis stats, mostly Ring counts if I ever get to iy.
So long as there isn't deliberate false submission or extreme idiocy going on, you won't get banned, don't worry :)
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Print

Hits: 337 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.18 MB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.