don't click here

Forgive me!!!

Print

Author Topic: Forgive me!!!  (Read 15314 times)

Offline cake

Forgive me!!!
« on: November 13, 2006, 03:46:28 pm »
I did not mean to post badly I have posted on other sites and they did not care maby this sites a little more strick (not that thats a bad thing) but I did not mean any offense and/or spaming to the site.

NOTE-Feel free to say what you want but please dont insult me like you did before
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 04:35:39 pm by cake »

Offline KnucklesSonic8

Re: Forgive me!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 04:11:50 pm »
I've been seeing quite a few topics like these lately. New users get told off by "older" users (who, for some reason, some feel they know better than everyone else, especially new users) and they need to make a public apology.

Look, cake, I am not here to insult you. In fact, I feel sorry for, not only you, but all the new users who have been scolded lately. We can all relate to similar experiences, I'm sure. Just don't take offense to what some people are saying cause they could in fact be turning you off from the site. From now on, though, I recommend not making a topic with the same goal in mind as this one was. This has been appearing quite a bit lately on the site, I've noticed.

Anyway, don't worry too much about it and just be sure to memorize... I mean familiarize (funny how I can get those two mixed up; lol) yourself with the rules of the site and you sohuld be fine. But users out there who are bad talking new users, geez, give em a brake! I know they may not have that much experience but didn't we all once we first joined?! I'm not picking out individuals in particular; just saying that people could be a little easier on people who are just joining the site.

Just something I wanted to say. Hope you weren't scolded too much, cake, but don't worry about it, okay? :)
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 04:19:44 pm »
Older TSC members often feel obliged to do this kind of stuff. I get used to it, and become a better TSC member. Hey, I was totally humiliated when I was accusing soniham of not getting a certain score which I shall never mention again unless someone else asks about it, but I'm still one of the TSC regulars nowadays. We've all been a noob at some point (especially when I first got onto the internet), and we all learn from experience. Calm down, it's nothing, really.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline cake

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 04:21:34 pm »
Could not have said it better myself :o well anyway mods you can tell me suggestions on how to post just say it a lot nicer can you please.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 04:34:34 pm by cake »

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 04:25:34 pm »
I know this'll come up sooner or later so I'd better get this outta the way before someone else potentially says it in a harsh tone: Use Spell Check and avoid small font.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 05:37:23 pm »
I've seen a few new people with this problem, but I see many many more who don't have it.  Plenty of new bods settle in and become part of the fabric with no trouble at all.  All it takes is a little finding out what kind of thing goes down well, and what is frowned upon.

When entering into a new social group of any sort, most people take some time to acclimatise, to find out what the tone of that group is.  Same with internet forums.  You wouldn't like it if someone came all up in your face, talking about things you weren't interested in, in a manner you found irritating.  You'd be even more annoyed if they then demanded acceptance from you and your friends without taking the time to find out anything about you.  It's made worse online because you don't have contact with that person, you have nothing to judge them on but their words (hence why we value good spelling and syntax, it hopefully reduces any ambiguity).

Bit of an exaggerated example, but hopefully you get the point.  You can see by reading a few of the posts around here what kind of place it is and what kind of posting goes down well.  Tolerance goes both ways.  This site gives plenty, and really doesn't ask much in return.  Further, given that this site has to deal with cheats, liars and the like in the competitions, it's understandable that people's moron radars are pretty active.  Show you've got something to contribute and you won't fall foul of them.

Addressing the specific points: KS8, a lot of what appears scolding is down to sense of humour (my recent picking up on typos, for instance).  We do it to each other too (at least I do, and I definitely expect it in return!).  The rest is generally only when someone's been asked nicely not to do something first.  Also, you've got to remember we've had some serious idiots here before.  Cake: don't worry about it, just think about what you're posting and I'm sure it'll be cool.

Damnit, I hate being serious about stuff, must do something about it.  Be prepared for a backlash of sarcasm and toilet humour >_>
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Blitz

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 05:43:22 pm »
I once (and might still) made/make a few mistakes. Not that you should try to, but this stuff helps you learn. Just don't try to make mistakes. While a few can help you learn and increase the time you'll be on this site (if it is not until the end), too much will end your time here.

Offline cake

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 06:56:38 pm »
Thanks guys you helped me a lot.

Offline X-5

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 03:38:14 am »
I don't have anything against new users but look at all your old posts, you acted like your 10 and can't come up with anything useful to say. It sounds like you've changed abit in this topic, if you can make decent posts like this elsewhere then i'm sure most people won't have a problem.

Offline cake

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 03:56:34 pm »
I don't have anything against new users but look at all your old posts, you acted like your 10 and can't come up with anything useful to say. It sounds like you've changed abit in this topic, if you can make decent posts like this elsewhere then i'm sure most people won't have a problem.

I took it the wrong way I thought you flamed me because I was new. I dont try to post like that I just needed a decent post count.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 04:11:07 pm »
Post count !=cool

* RPG realises the irony of his post count being almost double the next mans. >_>
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:17:07 pm by RPG »
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline X-5

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 05:14:26 pm »
there's no point in posting just for post count, make sensible posts where you feel you have something that needs to be said and it will eventually go up, it doesn't really matter anyway though it's just a number.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 05:30:46 pm »
Almost double, eh? Try almost...20 times.

Well, douglas beat everyone to the point except for ks8, but he's a total   n00b anyways, so who cares?*************

*************That was a joke.

That's the problem: most new users don't understand the difference between sarcasm and...not sarcasm because they haven't (bah, I'm about to repeat what douglas said) been there long enough and don't understand the group dynamic as a whole. Also comment about some users being too young to have a sense for this sort of thing (well, as long as you mean well, I suppose...).

Or maybe they've been to other forums where more "smarmy" or "slapstick" humor is used, something frowned upon by fans of subtlety (something I initially tried to make clear with my glossary before getting full of myself and boring of it).

To reiterate everything everyone else said: there's a reason TSC has had very few regular members recently (aside from stupidity, it's the initiation period).

To break from what everyone else said: here's a test of your sarcasm gauge, using real things done by members of this site. Some are meant to be taken literally; others, not so much.

Mike: I call BS!
* F-Man sets ban on idiocy*!*@*
genus: let's kill babies!

...on second thought, this won't work. Sarcasm is the definitive norm; I can't find a statement intended to be taken seriously that might possibly be considered sarcastic. So just to be safe, assume nobody means what they actually say.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline cake

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 05:44:39 pm »
there's no point in posting just for post count, make sensible posts where you feel you have something that needs to be said and it will eventually go up, it doesn't really matter anyway though it's just a number.

I'll keep that in mind just at other fourms thay called me a noob because I had very few posts. I also thank you a lot for saying this nice now I will try to listen to you unlike when I ignored your posts because they were flameing. PM me if you have any more suggestions I want to be a better user.

Offline Sonic825

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 06:03:37 pm »
That's the problem: most new users don't understand the difference between sarcasm and...not sarcasm because they haven't (bah, I'm about to repeat what douglas said) been there long enough and don't understand the group dynamic as a whole. Also comment about some users being too young to have a sense for this sort of thing (well, as long as you mean well, I suppose...).

Or maybe they've been to other forums where more "smarmy" or "slapstick" humor is used, something frowned upon by fans of subtlety (something I initially tried to make clear with my glossary before getting full of myself and boring of it).

To reiterate everything everyone else said: there's a reason TSC has had very few regular members recently (aside from stupidity, it's the initiation period).

To break from what everyone else said: here's a test of your sarcasm gauge, using real things done by members of this site. Some are meant to be taken literally; others, not so much.

Mike: I call BS!
* F-Man sets ban on idiocy*!*@*
genus: let's kill babies!

...on second thought, this won't work. Sarcasm is the definitive norm; I can't find a statement intended to be taken seriously that might possibly be considered sarcastic. So just to be safe, assume nobody means what they actually say.
Oh this was a nice post.(not sarcasm) This post was really smart.(not sarcasm) Especailly the end.(not sarcasm) This really wasn't sarcasm. (not sarcasm)  

This is in relation to the post you just wrote genus. Cake,here's my advice to you. If someone posts(not sarcasm) or something like that, then it probably is sarcasm.By the way genus. If it sounds to you,or anyone else,that I stole your advice I didn't.

P.S. this really was a good post by the way genus. Except for the end where you tried to give examples of sarcasm.
Master of all things Sonic!!!!

Offline cake

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 06:57:38 pm »
I dont know when its sarcasm or not what are you guys talking about!!! Do you guys hate me or something!!!

Print

Hits: 448 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.12 MB | Time: 0.16s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.