don't click here

Which Sonic CD soundtrack?

Poll

Which Sonic the Hedgehog CD soundtrack do you prefer?

The Japanese/European one.
6 (50%)
The American/PC/Gems one.
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Print

Author Topic: Which Sonic CD soundtrack?  (Read 6327 times)

Offline P.P.A.

Which Sonic CD soundtrack?
« on: January 17, 2007, 02:24:07 pm »
The original one for me. The music matches the rounds a lot better and each one has a tune that spans through all the time zones. At first I was shocked by "Sonic You Can Do Anything" and "Cosmic Eternity", but after I listened to them a few times I've grown to like them even better than "Sonic Boom". ...Almost...
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Re: Which Sonic CD soundtrack?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:25:37 pm »
Whichever option = Jap/European soundtrack
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:40:11 pm »
Gems, simply because that's the only version I've played.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:04:18 pm »
The Japanese soundtrack is less realistic in terms of blending in with the stages, however, with the exception of Starlight Speedway (Good Future), it is highly superior in all cases.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 04:58:36 pm »
The Japanese soundtrack is much better
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline eggFL

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 05:00:37 pm »
The Japanese soundtrack is overall FAR better. Admittedly, the USA soundtrack has a few good songs. (Sonic Boom, Stardust Speedway, special stage, and perhaps that's about it) For a while since my initial outrage from the localization many years ago, I began to think that both soundtracks are quite good. But after playing Sonic CD for the first time in years on Gems Collection, and downloading both soundtracks last week from Shadow Of A Hedgehog, I got to see things in perspective. I guess we should be fortunate to have two soundtracks, (and the USA one could have been far worse, I imagine) but it still seems to me that the USA soundtrack was made out of jackassery and was probably invoked almost entirely from the Japanese intro song and not so much the gameplay music. (although when me and my bro first heard You Can Do Anything and Cosmic Eternity, we thought they were hot) And You Can Do Anything will always win for the line "The powah is in your mind to save the planet and conquer tiiii-e-iiime!!!" *air guitars*

I just played the song in front of my bro. And he got giddy and nostalgic. Wow. o_o

The USA version kept the Japanese music only for the "Past" stages, but really that just made the overall package of depravity that much bigger, especially with the game's stupid time travel mechanic. It was hard enough creating Good Futures with the stupid system of tagging a sign (one-time use) and getting one chance to speed up without accidentally tagging another sign. But being taunted with inferior music always made it worse. It's sad. Before I even knew about the Japanese soundtrack, I noticed how the Past stages music consistently kicked ass.

I never even knew about the boss music until last week. WTF

Quartz Quadrant past is my current passion. And also, the stage completion music always has and always will kick so much ass.

Offline sonicandamy

• The Orginal DsS
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • ^ sonicandamy-your lovable sonic rush boss leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:14:53 pm »
american's FTW! nuff said.
Megabyte-sized sigs can get off the internet.
-Rolken

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 04:04:35 pm »
These soundtrack arguments are silly because both are good and sound enjoyable. :[

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 05:11:56 pm »
^I'd say SkyLights wins the topic, but I think his comment would need humor for me to be allowed to say that.

RPG if I hadn't sent you some of the tracks on MSN you'd've never heard the American soundtrack, and I get the feeling you're limiting your opinion to the seven I sent you.  Groudon, if you haven't heard the Japanese sounds, do so.  Here is the link to both soundtracks on Shadow of a Hedgehog.  Knock yourselves out.

If you want an opinion out of me, I say that the Sonic CD 510 Beta Speed Shoes music should've stayed.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 10:58:44 pm »
The only one I've heard is the US soundtrack (Gems Collection), but
it's great, anyway, so if the Japanese one is better, it must be pretty awesome.
I think it seems like the "Japanese is better" thing, or maybe the Japanese one
is "better" simply because it's first. I don't know. I'll have to hear it.

Also, I thought the Past stages tended to have more boring (or even annoying, after hearing it
for too long) music compared to the other stages. If I had to choose, I'd probably pick Good Future.
Anyway, the Past music is usually good, but I don't think it stands out,
and it shouldn't be listened to for extremely long periods of time. Actually, nothing should.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 02:15:17 am »
I think it seems like the "Japanese is better" thing, or maybe the Japanese one is "better" simply because it's first.

Don't fall into that trap. Like I said the MegaCD soundtrack really is better overall. I admit the SegaCD soundtrack is quite good, and some of its tracks are better than the MegaCD versions. But I think it's pretty clear that MegaCD is hands down better in general. And not only that, it goes much better with the Past songs than the SegaCd soundtrack which pulls the Past songs from the original and they feel kind of out of place.

Bottom line is every Sonic fan should hear both. I'm actually really surprised there are people here who haven't. It's not hard guys. Galbadia has you covered:

http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/view-all

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 06:33:25 am »
To complete the list, Shadowhaxor.net has them too:
SEGA CD: http://www.shadowhaxor.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=513
Mega CD: http://www.shadowhaxor.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=512
So there's no excuse for not listening to it.
And the Past music does sound a lot better in context with the rest of the Jap. soundtrack.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Print

Hits: 201 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.12 MB | Time: 0.05s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.