don't click here

Random SA2B/SADX challenges.

Print

Author Topic: Random SA2B/SADX challenges.  (Read 16911 times)

Offline X-5

Random SA2B/SADX challenges.
« on: November 06, 2006, 12:48:23 am »
This is for people who are really bored of normal time attacking, and I try to make them reasonably hard otherwise it wouldn't be as much fun. I'll update from time to time, probably once a day or so depending if I come up with any good ideas or not. If you beat a challenge feel free to post what level you would like to do next, because i'm not sure what levels everyone here likes the best.

Challenge 1: City Escape

Beat Mission 4:

- Without using a single ramp(this includes the ones at the beginning and the ones on the truck as well)
- No spindashes, homing attacks, or bounce balls.
- Without grinding a single rail. (Accidents can happen, just jump off immeditely and you may continue)
- Kill 5 enemies(any kind) along the way only using a roll/jump (The roll+ jump trick is allowed, homing attacks are not)
- All shortcuts that obey the above can be used.

So basically, you can only move and jump, with the exception of using the roll attack to break the boxes at the start. And if for whatever reason you want to do it in Mission 1 you can, but your not allowed to restart at any checkpoints, and of course you must finish within 2:59:99.

My time: 2:54:84
Difficulty Rating: 7/10
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 01:17:12 am by ParaGod »

Offline X-5

Re: Random SA2B/SADX challenges.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 01:16:41 am »
Challenge 2: Emerald Coast

This challenge is more generic and simple, but it's still tough.

Beat the level in 1:33 without any shortcuts. (one exception)

- The only "shortcut" that IS allowed is the part in Act 2, where you can go through the big tunnel or up the small hole with the extra life- you are allowed to go through the small hole.

- you cannot use any tricks to skip parts of loops.

- Stopping yourself in mid air with B button is allowed(and possibly required)

Difficulty: 8/10

Next level: ???
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 01:24:35 am by ParaGod »

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 02:47:43 pm »
so for EC, you want it done normally without skipping over land and stuff?

Challenge 1:  2:49:57
Challenge 2:  1:32:50
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 03:08:21 pm by Shadow Jacky »
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 04:12:27 pm »
I thought up a new challenge yesterday: beat Cannon's Core 1 without ever stopping time.  See if you can figure that one out.  The current time to beat is 5:31.27.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 05:43:20 pm »
You can beat rouge's section without stopping time?

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 06:04:08 pm »
You can, and it's comparatively easy.  Tails' section is the hardest by far.

Offline X-5

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 06:10:24 pm »
Yeah, basically just play EC was if you had just gotten the game and you don't know any of the advanced shortcuts like skipping the walkway at the beginning and skipping the loops.

These must be easier than I thought, since I thought my CE time was pretty much flawless and it barely beat 3 minutes, guess i'll have to find something harder.

i'll have to try that CC challenge soon.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 08:45:55 pm »
You can, and it's comparatively easy.  Tails' section is the hardest by far.

I passed tail's. :O

and I 2:57.xx'd your challenege for ce4, paragon. That was fun. :O

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 12:04:08 am »
well for EC, you never said anything about jump dashes.

also I couldn't get past Rouge's section...otherwise I would have finished since I know about Knux and Sonic's part.

Tails was tough if you dont get hit and Eggman was easy because of his armor, but getting that shield probably would have hurt me.

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline Stefan

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 08:30:31 am »
so far I've gotten past everything but sonic (segmented, though) :(

Offline X-5

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 11:12:49 pm »
On EC you can do jumpdashes if you want, you just can't use the shortcuts they provide(for example jumping off the bridge in the beginning)

And good job on CE Stefan! and SJ especially, I tried afew more times and couldn't get anywhere near 2:49, I guess I really do suck at CE. I might make a points system soon enough, where each challenge has a set amount of points and the best time gets a bonus.

Anyway, I finally got a new challenge I think should be pretty good:

#3 Metal Harbor: Beat Mission 4:

-Without killing a single enemy
-No lightdashes
-Without using any Red springs
-Your not allowed to use ANY rockets, except the one at the end that carries you to the launch base.
-You must take the higher route on the rocket at the end(The one you'd use on a score attack, for the Extreme +1500
-All shortcuts are allowed(and probably required)
-No mystic melody

This challenge is basically a much harder version of the "metal harbor without lightdashing" challenge.

My time: 1:49:75, I was extremely lucky on the rocket, I had like 0.06 left because I couldnt do a spindash for fear of accidently lightdashing at the end.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 09:33:15 am by ParaGod »

Offline Stefan

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 07:46:54 am »
"
And good job on CE Stefan! and SJ especially, I tried afew more times and couldn't get anywhere near 2:49, I guess I really do suck at CE. I"

um, no. You don't.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 08:04:00 am by Stefan »

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 10:12:07 pm »
The EC one looks cool. I'll have to try it. (I should do other stages like this, too.)

After I do this one... make some more (SA) challenges! I planned to do something like this some time ago,
but I never got around to it. Maybe I will sometime, but for now, I can do these challenges.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline X-5

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 08:41:37 am »
sure thing, would you prefer just a plain out time attack with some kind of twist or something more complicated like what I did with CE and metal harbor?

speaking of metal harbor, I guess no one likes what I came up with, I thought it was pretty fun :(

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 04:15:09 pm »
actually I just saw it today, also I had gotten speed shoes at the 3rd checkpoint I think it was...also I had clipped a corner and got stuck so that pissed me off.

I'll try that MH challenge though, and that EC challenge was tough and about the jump dashes that was to CE not EC (ugh @ abbrev.)

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline X-5

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 09:30:45 pm »
I don't know what a jump dash is, but obviously if it doesn't require a spindash or any of the above it would be allowed on CE.

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 09:43:30 pm »
A jump dash, which was oddly not mentioned in the SA2(B) manual, is a homing attack when there are no enemies nearby.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 11:40:42 pm »
Okay, I did the Emerald Coast one in 1'28"78.
I wasn't sure about certain things, so I didn't use them. The first things that come to mind are:

1. At the last checkpoint, is it okay to fall off the steep slope and land at the jump panels?
2. Before the lighthouse, is it okay to skip the first spring? (Sonic passes over it, but he doesn't land.
It's something I used to do wayyy back, when I used to get 1'30" or something at my best.)

I'm thinking that they count as shortcuts (and are not allowed), but I was just wondering.

About new challenges... like I said, there could be a series of no-shortcut challenges,
but that would probably need its own thread. I'd like get-here-if-you-can challenges, if there's
anywhere left to go. Other than that, time-attacks or just about anything is good. It would be interesting to see what challenges like the SA2 ones are like when I'm more familiar with the game.
So just make whatever you think would be interesting. Do a variety.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline X-5

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 03:23:41 am »
1. To be honest, I think it would be just as fast or faster to just spindash down, because you pick up alot of speed from the boosts.

2. Not sure how it would be done, but it doesn't sound like it would cut much time anyway so i'd say it doesn't matter.

And I suppose I should make the challenges alot harder, since your definitely way above my level of play and something that is hard to me is probably very simple, like the emerald coast one for example.

I'll see if I can come up with something good tonight, maybe I can make a few challenges  per level and set a difficulty for each one, so that expect players and average players can complete something. I was thinking like the average player challenge would have handicaps, for example a Tough challenge on M4 for SA2 they would be allowed to do it on M1 using checkpoints or something.

About the jump dash, I thought doing that was simply just called a homing attack as well, and the idea was to do the whole level without ever doing it since it cuts ALOT of time. Something I forgot about the metal harbor challenge, there's no mystic melody allowed as well.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 09:34:08 am by ParaGod »

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 10:59:26 am »
No, I mean falling off and landing on the higher floor. If you go down the slope normally,
you'll have to go under, then up that half-loop, and then probably bump into the Hintball.
Falling off the top of the slope would drop you right next to the jump panel and cut off a second or more.

Different challenge levels? Hmm... that would be nice... and I could do the easier SA2 ones.
(Those older challenges like Metal Harbor without the Light Dash were around my level.
But no rockets means I have to reach the platform where M3 ends, and that's frustrating.
Also, I don't know how it can be done without smashing a robot- another perfectly timed jump?)

Oh, and yeah, the Jump Dash is the name of the A-A attack when Sonic isn't near anything.
Although it's sometimes called the Homing Attack, the real Homing Attack is only when he
curls up and automatically targets something. (Yeah, these stupid names are confusing-
Jump Dash, Air Dash, Spindash Jump, Spin Jump... and then there are the names of stages
and games and other stuff... SA, SAdva, EC, other EC, CE, FE...)

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2006, 11:36:25 am »
yeah I fell off the slope too in EC when I spin dashed down it...still barely got under the target though.

that MH one is tough but I think I can get it.

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline Jawzunx

• first person to beat Cybrax on City Escape (3rd mission)
  • TSC: Jawzun
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 04:49:19 am »
cool, I get 1:31:06 in challenge 2 (emerlad coast)
still can't believe what I did in 2007

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2006, 08:41:21 am »
I'm getting tired of repeating myself.  Everyone here knows what I'm gonna say, so I won't bother saying it.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 08:51:18 pm »
Don't forget that TSC was down for a while. Also, the 30-day rule can be broken if there's
a fairly good reason. I think this is good enough. I'd kind of wanted to revive this sometime, anyway.

Offline X-5

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2006, 04:52:50 pm »
I was going to do some SADX challenges but couldn't think of any :/ Maybe now that i'm playing SADX as my "main" game once again it will be easier to come up with one, but in the meantime, anyone else is allowed to make their own, just try to be original and make sure it's actually a challenge.

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 08:17:02 pm »
I have a non-timed challenge, inspired by my recent low score video.

Go to Final Rush.  After launching from the rocket, land on as many unique rails as possible without touching solid ground or dying.  Bouncing off the ground qualifies as touching ground, but hitting a spring attached to the ground doesn't.

So far I've been able to string together 36 rails, fighting some crazy camera angles while doing so.  The absolute maximum I see possible is 42, which would be every rail I know of from the start to check 2, but those involve blind landings into immediate jumps on the tops of the vertical rails, followed by blasting back into lower parts of the same rails in order to get a super jump at the top.

Print

Hits: 218 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.16 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.