don't click here

New stuff around the site

Print

Author Topic: New stuff around the site  (Read 12590 times)

Offline Rolken

New stuff around the site
« on: October 28, 2006, 09:03:46 am »
Bunch of news today, so let's delve in.

First, SpinDashMaster's brought his Emerald Challenges here. If you're not familiar with them, they involve various tasks outside the typical TSC fare ranging from the straightforward (beat GHZ1 in under 30 seconds) to the elaborate (achieve SuperSonic in each S2 level within a minute and beat the level with 50 rings in a marathon run). He has a new board in the forums for his shindigs.

Second, the F-Zero Central dudes may be crossing over to TSC. Apparently their rankings have been broken for half a year (!), and they're desperate for some place to go. Check out the topic in the Info Kiosk for details.

Thirdly, the forums have been reorganized a bit. Deep Thoughts and Wikkity merged into Swigglez, which then spun off Gaming and Grazing, and Sonic Advance has disappeared into the great beyond. Plus the EC as aforementioned.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Rolken

Re: New stuff around the site
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 10:12:41 am »
In more TSC somewhat-news (I linked these in chat a few days ago), our traffic is apparently on quite the upswing.

And just for kicks, geographical distribution...

Usually visitor traffic and pages-per-visit follow inverse paths in the short term, as a surge of visitors typically means people are just seeing links and some stay and a lot don't. I'm not quite sure what to make of them BOTH improving, except that we must just rock that hard.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 10:51:51 am »
We are hardcore awesome. 'nuff said.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 11:00:01 am »
^agree'd

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 11:01:22 am »
Rolk your new avatar is bloody awesome.

And yes we are definatly h4rdc0r3
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 03:35:53 pm »
Interesting...

I liked the inclusion of the Geo Stats. There's only like five members, more or less, that are from Canada (including me). :P

Also, as I suspected most of you are from the US, there's only one person from the African continent and hardly anyone past the East side of Europe. All interesting. :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 03:44:58 pm by knuckles_sonic8 »
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 03:40:06 pm »
Theres atleast 4; You, SS, Effy anf TEM are the 4 I know of off the top of my head~

Offline F-Man

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 03:43:35 pm »
I liked the inclusion of the Geo Stats. There's only two members that are from Canada (including me). :P
Look closer, there are four dots towards the west and a bunch packed together in the Ontario/South Quebec area. :P
And I bet this isn't an exact representation. There are far more people who visited the site than there are dots on the map.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 04:01:09 pm »
Yeah, I edited it. I tried to go back and edit it after I re-looked it over but both you and RPG beat me to it. Probably because I'm DL'ing RPG's music quiz thing. :P
Wiiloveit

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 09:16:46 pm »
Edit your post some more. Besides the 4 people in the west, it looks like there are at least 10 or 11 dots in the east.
So you were way off. And where do you think the idea about Canada having the best players came from?
(I guess you weren't there when that was said.)

And in case you didn't get that tiny hint, yes, I'm in Canada. That's one of the reasons it's the best country
for Sonic players.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 06:23:51 am »
And I bet this isn't an exact representation. There are far more people who visited the site than there are dots on the map.

This is correct. It's displaying the 500 most common visitors from the past week or month (I forget which I had it set to at the time of snapshot).

It's also worth noting that last week Firefox users surpassed IE users for the first time. IE has been hovering at or slightly below 50% for some time; two weeks ago it was 47 IE - 44 FF, and last week it reversed to 48 FF - 44 IE. And for the curious, Opera had 2.9% and Safari/Konqueror 1.6-1.7% each.

In other stats, a mere 13% of TSCers use 800x600 and force me to make the site lowres-friendly to the detriment of the rest of us. I'm increasingly considering making a lowres-friendly skin for them and abandoning them in the future.

As I look at the traffic stats again, it appears that Saturday blasted through all previous records once more. There were about 50% more than our regular Saturday visits (487), but more astoundingly, the most fervent visitors ever, with 19.4 pageviews per visit, combining for triple the average total traffic. Once again the inescapable conclusion is that we are awesome. X) And it seems that the reasonable assumption that it's due to an influx of new EC/F-Zero traffic is incorrect, as 73% of this weekend's traffic was returning visitors - the historical average is 65%, and October average 69%.

Google Analytics gives tons of random info of that nature, I find it all quite interesting.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 11:42:18 am »
Who wants to bet Konqueror was Gerbil? >_>

Also, I believe it was effy who pointed out that October set forum records in every category, including most visitors, most new posts, etc. So it's not just a general upswing, but people are actually doing stuff here too. (Whether that's a good or bad thing is a matter of interpretation.) I'm sure with the nearing release of TSC4 the visitors will climb more.

---

RPG you forgot SWedge.

And yes we are definatly h4rdc0r3
Oh yeah? ...
WELL YOU'RE NOT HARDCORE!
UNLESS YOU LIVE HARDCORE!
BUT THE LEGEND... OF THE RENT...
WAS WAY HARDCORE!

</lame School of Rock reference>
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 12:30:11 pm »
Oh yeah? ...
WELL YOU'RE NOT HARDCORE!
UNLESS YOU LIVE HARDCORE!
BUT THE LEGEND... OF THE RENT...
WAS WAY HARDCORE!

SO YOU THINK YOU'LL BE JUST FINE!?
WITHOUT ME BUT YOUR MINE!
YOU THINK YOU CAN!
KICK ME OUT OF THE BAND!

<_<

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 04:21:58 pm »
Edit your post some more. Besides the 4 people in the west, it looks like there are at least 10 or 11 dots in the east.
So you were way off. And where do you think the idea about Canada having the best players came from?
(I guess you weren't there when that was said.)

And in case you didn't get that tiny hint, yes, I'm in Canada. That's one of the reasons it's the best country
for Sonic players.

I knew you were from Canada, yeah, but I was not aware about that comment about Canada having the best players. What made whoever said that come to that conclusion? :P
Wiiloveit

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 04:43:42 pm »
I said it because I'm here (the most important part, obviously :P ), SuperSonic101 is very close,
and F-Man is also in Canada (though not Ontario... I could've narrowed it down to "Ontario is the best" if he lived here).

The best SA players and the best- *checks rankings*... er, one of the best SA2 players are in Canada.
(SS101 was the champion at the time.)
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 04:54:34 pm »
I was the best SA player once ok :(

Print

Hits: 446 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.12 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.