don't click here

MKDS Tournament (Go Away for a Few Months)

Print

Author Topic: MKDS Tournament (Go Away for a Few Months)  (Read 124966 times)

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
Re: MKDS Tournament (Round 8)
« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2006, 04:16:22 pm »
Well, Groudon said he didn't keep score either, so we're totally fucked.

What I do know:

I got 2nd (undeservedly) in Luigi's Mansion.
I got 1st in Wario Stadium and GCN Luigi.
I got 2nd (once again, undeservedly) in GCN Yoshi. From what Thorn said, Groudon must have won.
I got 2nd (woah, undeservedly!) in Yoshi Falls, beaten by Thorn as Groudon BS'd me.
I got 3rd (obviously I went insane at this time) in Desert Hills.
I got 1st in Frappe (not entirely sure, but didn't place in 3rd and I recall having a good feeling after the match)
I was treated like shit with item boxes and lost to Groudon in Baby Park (2nd)

That's all I know. I thought Thorn was going to keep score, so it's his fault >.>
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2006, 04:20:52 pm »
Now with what Groudon said, we know this:

Groudon won in first for LM, me in second.
I won WS with Groudon in 2nd.
I won in GCN Luigi with Groudon in 2nd.
Groudon won in first for GCN Yoshi, me in 2nd.
I lost in 2nd in Yoshi Falls as groudon BS'd me, with thorn winning.
Groudon won in 1st with Thorn finishing 2nd in Desert Hills.
????? gets first in Frappe, with ?????? finishing in second, Thorn being last.
Groudon won in first for BP, me in 2nd.

So Frappe is totally confusing. I had a very good feeling after the match though, so I think I won.

EDIT: If I was to count the score for me winning in frappe, this would end up in:

Me: 26
Thorn: 10
Groudon:28

So basically, I should be 2 points behind groudon, with thorn being kicked out of the tourney.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 04:26:15 pm by PsyBorg »
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #182 on: November 08, 2006, 04:23:29 pm »
I'm trying to remember the end, but now that I look back, I might have been in the lead at the final set of item boxes.  I remember you 2 getting triple mushrooms at the same time there, so I think I won.  Of course, that race's end was a real blur, so I'm not 100% sure if I won or not.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2006, 04:27:26 pm »
I believe I won, but really it doesn't matter as the places would still be the same. Read my post edit for the scores.

EDIT: In case you're lazy, copy/paste:

Me: 26
Thorn: 10
Groudon:28

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2006, 04:28:56 pm »
Quote from: PsyBorg
I thought Thorn was going to keep score, so it's his fault >.>

Huhwhat?  I didn't sign anything.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2006, 04:31:15 pm »
Well, you kept score for the first half, so we assumed you'd do the same for this half.
* Groudon run

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2006, 04:36:47 pm »
^You know the saying about that.  And I kept score for my own reasons.  I only posted it because when we were in chat afterwards, you two had forgotten.  But the current score is right.

Also I can't imagine how points would matter.  If I did the math correctly, then overall Groudon and I are tied for points, with Groudon actually being in front of me as he accomplished that many points in less matches.  Psyborg is in the lead, I was too lazy to do the math there too.

You know the best part?  I don't need to do the math.  I'm eliminated (no twist plz).  I'm free.  Free.  FREE!!! hahahahahaha.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2006, 06:28:05 pm »
 Well, well, well well. Round 8 is over.

R.I.P...Thorn, who seemingly lost interest at the end. No zombies though; having learned from their prior mistakes, holy water was used on the body prior to burial.

So that leaves us with PsyBorg and Groudon in the final match. How will the real final be played? Keep reading after total scores.

Total Score
PsyBorg-125
Groudon-115
Thorn-115
genus-99
Mike-51
RPG-24
SDM-5

Right.

To reiterate, here is the final match.

PsyBorg (Underdog) vs. Groudon (Bracket 1 Champion)

And now, a brief bio of the remaining players in the final match for this MKDS tournament.

PsyBorg-PsyBorg joined the tournament, and underwhelmed everyone. Seriously. He passed the first two rounds in decent standing, but then was crushed mercilessly by myself...in a 4-3 win, I know. After teaming up with Thorn to prevent me from being crowned as the "champion", he was brought back. At this point, he existed during the team match, which enabled him to breeze by SDM and RPG. When facing Mike, he didn't have much difficulty; indeed, he had a lack of difficulty and easily advanced. Against Thorn and groudon, he held his own. And now he wants to not lose, I suppose.

Groudon-Groudon also joined the tournament, only as the expected favorite. He had a lackluster first round, probably finishing fourth if I remember correctly. In round two, he tied with myself for first, which is ok, I guess. Upon facing Thorn, he won. Then he beat me. For a while, he twiddled his thumbs, and fended off Thorn and Groudon, advancing to the final.

And now, a commemoration to everyone who isn't in the final and how they got there.

SDM-A big help in organising the tourney, he only got 3 points.
RPG-A big help with NOTHING, he was technically the first to be eliminated.
Mike89-Did kind of ok, but served a purpose; every tournament needs a solid middle player.
genus-win.

Ok, enough stalling. Here is how the final will work.

You see, life is about...improving, I guess. When you can't do something well ,you should try to improve. So I have determined the worst courses for the two finalists, based on their past experiences (so now it's clear why I brought groudon back, yes?).  I looked at not only how badly someone did on a given course, but also how well someone else did on that course. This gives us:

Set 1
Baby Park
Snes Mario Circuit 1
Rainbow Road
Luigi's Mansion

Set 2
Yoshi Falls
Cheep Cheep Beach
DK Pass
Mario Circuit

The rules are very interesting; groudon and Psy make them up for each set, though they must play the courses in the set. As groudon's worst courses are in set 1, it's only logical that he gains control over set 2; and as Psy's worst courses are in set 2, it's only logical that he gains control over set 1. The only restriction is that a given player cannot be awarded a win by default (no "PsyBorg must finish in first for all 4 courses"), and you must race in a manner where a win is obtainable (nothing like "PsyBorg must drive backwards during the race"). This is to show an understanding of the game beyond mere tech; creativity and spur of the moment decisions are a must in any game when played competitively, especially if you hope to unite a community. As the saying I made up just now goes:"play with your mind, not just your hands". The rules each player wishes to apply must be posted in this topic and approved before the round is to begin (mind you, not tonight). In the event of a tie, RPG will get to decide the rules for the default tiebreaker of Figure 8, Figure 8, Rainbow Road, Rainbow Road, assuming they are approved.

And there is something I have yet to mention. As extra incentive, the winner of this tournament will receive a MYSTERY PRIZE. Yeah, it's a real prize; nothing like an air guitar. It will be announced post-tournament, with an explanation provided.

The word "tyrant" was used once in this post.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2006, 06:47:50 pm »
Enjoy your match guys! GL.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2006, 07:01:29 pm »
Groudon... fended off Thorn and Groudon, advancing to the final.

Okay, so that last post wasn't my last word in this topic.  I can't help it, I'm a smart ass.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Re: MKDS Tournament (Championship)
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2006, 05:34:30 pm »
Well, RPG's tiebreaker rules are in, and they will impede groudon and PsyBorg's progress in a generic way, should they tie. Here they are:

1) All races must be done with the Tyrant.
2) Items may not be used.
3) The final lap must be completed in reverse gear. (side note:he means crossing the finish line in reverse, it is impossible to complete Rainbow Road  in reverse)
4) You may not let go of A or press B at any moment, unless trying to cross the finish line in reverse. No items.
5) No use of R button.

RPG can still make changes to these rules if he so chooses, or I have not accurately described what he wants to happen for the elusive (and yet unplayed) tiebreaker.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2006, 05:36:46 pm »
For everything there, I respond in the following way to RPG:

N0 U

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2006, 05:40:29 pm »
Sounds good to me genus :D
Did you not think I had a mind?

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2006, 07:25:26 pm »
Psy just told me what his rules were, and I have approved them. In an attempt to surprise groudon, he does not wish to post them at this time; mind you, they do not break my limitations on what can be done, and groudon can do the same with me, should he so choose. I will not be here tommorow, and as such would like groudon to inform me what he has in mind so I can offer my consent, and he and Psy can face each other, Psy having informed me he will likely be unavailable after tommorow.

If you race tommorow, post which rules were implimented; I won't be here, and want to make sure neither player slipped in a rule violating the terms of this round.

Practice up, both of you. Or don't. Actually, don't; some things can't be practiced for. Like RPG's rules. Those are seriously amusing from the perspective of a disgruntled third party.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2006, 02:18:04 pm »
Due to time constraints and how early Psy had to race, I ran out of time to think up rules, so one rule:  No rules.

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #195 on: November 10, 2006, 02:41:04 pm »
I had horrible luck today, and the kart I had to use for Psy's rules sucks.  Also, I was caught off-guard by how suddenly he had to race me and the urgancy of it.  I only won on Rainbow Road.

But good game, anyway, Psy.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:48:16 pm by Groudon »

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 10, 2006, 02:56:23 pm »
Woah, this was nice.

Basically, I tricked groudon into thinking I had tons of chores to do this day and my dad would kill me if he found me playing MKDS online. This kind of rushed groudon, as I kept my rules secret. This made Groudon entirely surprised and unprepared for what I had in store for him. He also had no rules, like a "no items" rule, which would have killed me, so rushing him made it more favorable to me. All of this was part of my mind games, which should impress genus.

Then... All I needed was luck... and I got it.

First Set: Groudon's worst stages

Rules:
-Standard DK kart is to be used.

Baby Park: Me (Groudon didn't know he could snake at this point, and despite and RS and BS, he still lost.)
SNES Mario Circuit: Me (he tried to mushroom it at the end, but didn't notice I had a leaderbomb right there :D)
Rainbow Road: Groudon (bad moves on my part, plus bad luck at the end)
Luigi's Mansion: Me (good mushroom saving on my part)

End Results: 3-1

Second Set: My worst stages

Rules:
-Standard tournament rules.

COMPLETE BLACKOUT BY PSYBORG

Yoshi Falls: I have certainly improved on this stage in my snaking. Not much else to say, but it's a good feeling.
Cheep Cheep Beach: Groudon hit a crab on lap 3, and although I haven't improved on this as much, I still feel good about it.
DK Pass: No improvement really, but I had good luck with items.
Mario Circuit: I have DEFINITELY improved on this stage. Better snaking and good mushroom saving let me kick Groudon's ass one last time. I am proud of improvement here.

Final results: 7-1

And that, my friends, ends the tournament and leaves me to claim championship and the MYSTERY PRIZE. What shall it be? Tune in tomorrow when genus is on!

ps: hooray for mind games once again.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 03:02:56 pm by PsyBorg »

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #197 on: November 10, 2006, 03:11:48 pm »
Actually, Psy, I knew you had a BS on SNES Mario Circuit.  I tried to mushroom away from the impact, but failed.  And on CCB, I hit the crab on lap 2.

Wait.  You were just setting me up?  I must say, that was really... clever.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2006, 03:14:36 pm »
Actually, Psy, I knew you had a BS on SNES Mario Circuit.  I tried to mushroom away from the impact, but failed.  And on CCB, I hit the crab on lap 2.

:O. Well if it was either this or that, it still carries out the same meaning; I leaderbombed you as you tried to beat me in that one last lap/you hit a crab.

You were just setting me up?  I must say, that was really... clever.

"play with your mind, not just your hands"-genus

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2006, 10:21:57 am »
That was certainly interesting. The winner of the tournament is PsyBorg, by an incredibly narrow margin.

I'm not kidding you or being sarcastic; he just barely won.You'll find out in a minute after the final score and final results are determined.

Final Score
*PsyBorg-146*
Groudon-118
Thorn-115
genus-99
Mike-51
RPG-24
SDM-5

Final Placing
1)PsyBorg
2)Groudon
3)Thorn
4)genus
5)yse
6)RPG
7)SDM

Right. You remember how I was making a tally of points and nobody knew why? Well, the total points of a given user divided by the total rounds of a given user would determine how much that player would need to beat the other by. I'll show you what a mean.

PsyBorg had a total of 7 non-championship rounds; in these 7 rounds, he scored a total of 125 points. 125/7=an average of 17.8571429 points per round (rounded up, 18).

Groudon had a total of 5 non-championship rounds; in these 5 rounds, he scored a total of 115 points. 115/5=an average of 23 points per round.
So Psy would have needed to beat Groudon by at least 5 points. The comparitive round score was 21-3; he won by 18. Actually...that wasn't so close. Maybe if I do this:

146/8=18.25 (rounded down to 18)
118/6=19.6666667 (rounded up to 20)

...Nope. Maybe I could force groudon to face Psy for the difference of the wins in a 2 set "spectacuar"...but then it will seem as though I am using favoritism to help groudon. And I allready said Psy won in chat...

Well, no gimmicky surprise this time: Psy wins. Seeing as how I can't bring anyone back, attempting to prolong the announcement of prizes is a futile attempt.

Everyone who did not finish in first wins an air guitar, magically floating above a calm sea. A picture:

Everyone who did not finish worse than second wins...well, you'll just have to keep reading.

Organising a tournament is a lot of work; keeping it interesting is even more work. You have to improvise to give everyone the idea that this is not just another bland tournament. For example, SDM and I only planned to have the two sets of each player's worst courses; the modified ruleset was a spur of the moment thing.

However, once you run out of ideas, it becomes quite generic. Or maybe your ideas are too out there and people lose interest. And when it's over...then what? Do you start another one up the week later. The answer is of course no, because everyone just got through playing a tournament. You have to wait a while, at a point where more people will be willing or able to participate. Though they know what to expect, so your crazy ideas aren't as surprising this time through. At this point, the only logical thing to do is make a very large post concerning the matter.

Psy won the tournament not because of skill (no offense to Psy, but in a raw snaking match, he generally stands no chance), but because of tactics; something like not shooting your item load immediately, tricking groudon, and so on. Giving someone the idea that you are doing one thing when you are in fact doing another is the whole purpose of creativity. And administration, though these two rarely go together.

So he thought things through, made split second decision, and came through because of it. I'm sure you've guessed his prize by now.

Psy: because of your victory, you get to help me run the next tournament.

...Just kidding. PsyBorg will run the next tournament, and pass on that right to the winner of it or, should he win again, himself.

I just have a few words of advice.

For one, don't begin until sometime in 2007 (New Year's at the earliest). If a tournament is held every month or so, it doesn't have as much value. Do not start the tournament for at least two months, and when you do, start it at a slow point for TSC (pre Secret Rings, I suppose). Also, confide in a third party who is not part of the tournament before it begins to get their input, or at least to avoid accusations of favoritism/changing rules to help yourself. It's a good idea to not just stick to the format you listed for reasons allready mentioned. Oh, and if you need to, flesh out the tournament's length. I had...was it 7...total entrants, and we were into the "final match" a week or so in. With my new "twists", it has gone...has it been another month?  That is all.

Tournament over: I suppose PsyBorg should make a new topic for his when he feels the time is right.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
Re: MKDS Tournament (Go Away for a Few Months)
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2006, 11:51:26 am »
I sort of knew this was going to happen.

Well really, I wasn't going to start it until some time in 2k7 anyway (not immediately after new year).  This is because my dad is either going to get pissed off that I would have been stealing "his" basement due to lack to DS wireless range, and/or I'm too lazy to get a new DS because I would lose my wifi stats and it costs me money that I would otherwise save up for other stuff during Jesusmas time. This doesn't mean the tournament won't happen, though. It will happen sometime in mid to late January, but pre-Secret Rings. This is because of (see side note below) and the fact that, like genus said, TSC will be dead by then.

As a side note, I am also looking into any possible alternatives to get me running on Wifi, although I'm not sure if I'll even be able to, considering the fact that I'm the only person in the world who uses a mac. There are no wireless range extenders or anything like that for the DS, so it may be possible that I will not compete in the tournament I create. In that case, I will simply be bored. But hey, you never know what will happen.

Anyways, adios for now, and good luck to anyone who joins the next MKDS tournament.

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2006, 12:06:12 pm »
Well, Psy, if you get a new DS, you can transfer the WiFi settings from one DS to another.  This way, you won't lose your stats.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2006, 03:25:05 pm »
Well, Psy, if you get a new DS, you can transfer the WiFi settings from one DS to another.  This way, you won't lose your stats.

Is this actually true? In this case, I'll see how much money I can save up and I might work a bit harder to get a used DS.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #203 on: November 12, 2006, 07:25:02 pm »
Congrats Psy. Finally this tournament is over, after much frustration, agony, and well... more frustration. Anyway, glad to see you all made it this far without losing your sanity, 'specially Psy. Congrats again.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Print

Hits: 507 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.21 MB | Time: 0.05s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.