don't click here

doubt in sonic 1

Print

Author Topic: doubt in sonic 1  (Read 67117 times)

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
doubt in sonic 1
« on: July 20, 2006, 01:19:42 am »
Those scores:
Ybbun's marble 1 - 74300
Sonichero's marble 2 - 238830

I'm not acusing anyone, but I really would like to know if they're possible or not and how they did those scores, if possible.
Can anyone help?
you can run, but not fast enough...

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
Re: doubt in sonic 1
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 03:06:16 am »
anyone?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 04:13:24 am »
I've an inkling of how the Marble 2 one is done - you know the bit where you have to break the blocks to get down?  If you time it right you can land on another badnik underneath and keep the combo going.  I've never managed to get much further with it though.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 05:20:03 am »
There's nothing else to continue it with after that. I reckon that could yield something in the order of 95k, but not much more.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps he's hitting enemies from the higher area and somehow reaching the blocks at the bottom before hitting the ground and losing your combo. That should be fun to attempt.

<3 Thorn.

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 06:16:22 pm »
it's a tough one to try.
And that still leaves us with marble 1. I can't imagine any strat to get near this score, this is definetly not the best level for high combos...

Offline ybbun

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 09:17:18 am »
I just randomly come on the forum for the first time in ages...
I probably made an honest mistake. It's definitely weird having a score so much higher. It was about 2 years ago so I don't remember doing it. Maybe I carried on from the previous level by mistake (GH3 I got 47500) so my score is actually 74300-47500=26800? which fits in with the other times better.
I also seem to have 2 submissions for the other levels I tried, and only 1 submission for Marble 1:
http://www.soniccenter.org/members/ybbun/sonic_1/scores
I don't know what that means or whether it's significant, but it indicates something is "different" about that score.

I'm an honest player and always tried to make sure my times and scores were accurate, so I'm quite confused about this and after trying the level just now got nowhere near the same score. Please delete it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 09:19:04 am by ybbun »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 09:21:53 am »
Hey ybbun, welcome back, I remember you :o

Also, it'd be easier to just submit another stat in place of the Score you want removing, just a placeholder of '100' or something until/if you redo the level
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 02:47:09 pm »
I think this case is solved.
And by the way ybbun, your score on GH3 is truly a masterpiece! It opened my eyes on that level.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 04:34:30 pm »
Yep, case solved. This is why the stage select code is recommended in our rules.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 06:38:30 pm »
That's right.

Offline ybbun

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 11:48:26 am »
I think this case is solved.
And by the way ybbun, your score on GH3 is truly a masterpiece! It opened my eyes on that level.

So the likely problem is that I accidentally carried on from the previous level? Sorry for the mistake. I've now entered 100 for that level.

As for GH3, I really can't remember doing the scores :S I must have been clever somehow...

I'm going to do some experimentation with Marble 2, where I have a high score:
1 sonichero 238830
2 ybbun 133320
3 maggot 104530
Hopefully that's not also a mistake. I'll see if I can reach that high score again

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 02:25:24 pm »
I'm trying that too. Yours I think is reachable with some good run, I'm just in doubt about Sonichero's.
I'm not a big fan of marble, but I'll do the possible there.

Offline ybbun

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 04:38:47 pm »
I've deleted my Marble 2 score just in case.

I've also achieved 172 rings and a score of 20500 on Scrap Brain 2. Previously 5 people had the top ring count of 169 and the leading scores were 19400 and 19200. I must have done something different but I'm not quite sure what!

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 09:47:23 pm »
172 is new to me.
Also scrap brain 2's upper part (with the falling floors) is quite strange... Sometimes a few rings doesn't appear when I pass runing...

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 05:23:37 am »
Oh, so it wasn't just me?

One of the things I remember from Scrap Brain 2 is the mysterious disappearance (and reappearance!!) of rings and even ring boxes. I think I still have a screenshot of the missing box (which changed places over time, believe it or not).

This being noted, any options? I'm wondering whether to ban ring counts above 169 (as that is the natural max) or to allow it which opens it's own Pandora's Box. Thoughts?

<3 Thorn.

Offline ybbun

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 08:01:38 am »
I'm able to consistently get 172 rings every single time though... what are your methods?
I haven't noticed any disappearance or reappearance of rings / ring boxes apart from 1 time when I think 1 extra ring appeared somewhere which might have given me 173 if I'd managed to complete it. But it seems to me like 172 is the natural maximum because there is a foolproof way to achieve it every time. There are no rings I get more than once.

I've also been doing Marble 1 recently, and yeah, my score of 74300 is definitely wrong :) I've submitted 29530, the limit is around 30300 probably.

It's normal for those red score things at the end to say that they're worth 100 but actually be worth 10 right?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 08:15:41 am »
Mike, that'd work work like SA2:B's "Rings collected from enemies do not count towards your Ring Total" (Or something along those lines), and I fully see where your coming from with that.

EDIT: Nevermind
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 12:31:47 pm »
If ybbun can get this amount more than once, then we should take a better look at that level....
Can you record this 172-rings run?

Offline ybbun

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 01:42:03 pm »
I could record it, but don't want to give away the secret :) I've figured out what I'm doing differently now - the most obvious method gives 169. It's nothing to do with glitches or anything, in fact I think it's rather clever :D
Regarding the disappearing and reappearing rings along the top of the level - if they're missing on the run from left to right they're always there when you run back from right to left again. I was wrong earlier about being able to get 173. In fact what had happened was I'd collected one less and then got it on the way back. I haven't seen any other problems with rings in this level.

I also just got a score of 29830 on Labyrinth 1 when there were 4 people tied for 1st on 29630. It requires a bit of luck with how those burrobots move...

Beating records where so many people are tied for 1st on a particular score / ring count is very cool and rewarding! I'm enjoying this again after years away.

Question regarding Spring Yard - isn't it possible to repeatedly get 10 points for bouncing off those stars? Wouldn't the best score strategy therefore be to do that as much as possible and finish close to 9:59? Perhaps not so for SY1 and 2 since there's the 50000 bonus but what about SY3?

Question about the charts - why do some entries appear twice? Also why do some say "no rankings" when there are rankings?

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 01:49:32 pm »
This being noted, any options? I'm wondering whether to ban ring counts above 169 (as that is the natural max) or to allow it which opens it's own Pandora's Box. Thoughts?

If you're going to do that, then you may as well ban rings obtained from the (?) capsules in the other sonic games

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 01:57:09 pm »
Question regarding Spring Yard - isn't it possible to repeatedly get 10 points for bouncing off those stars? Wouldn't the best score strategy therefore be to do that as much as possible and finish close to 9:59? Perhaps not so for SY1 and 2 since there's the 50000 bonus but what about SY3?

Bear in mind they stop yielding after a certain number of hits.

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 04:36:53 pm »
I would like to know about the double entries too!

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 06:31:18 pm »
Yep. Upper-part checked. The missing rings appear on the way back all times.
It's a glitch but it doesn't affect the maximum rings you can get.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 08:07:03 pm »

If you're going to do that, then you may as well ban rings obtained from the (?) capsules in the other sonic games
Yes please, I spend too much time doing Advance 2 ring runs that are spoiled by them >_>  Although I don't see the comparison, I knew of this and it's entirely predictable and not abusable either, so as far as I'm concerned it's all good.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 04:00:04 am »
No, you guys are missing the point. I picked up 180 rings on Scrap Brain 2, and that was due to some rings at the top appearing three or four times. I can't pinpoint what it was that caused it though.

Just looking through my FTP files, the screenshot I'm looking for isn't on the site, I'll see if I can upload it again.

EDIT: Screenshot Savestate (unfortunately by the time I thought to make a savestate the rings had stopped reappearing, but if you finish off the level it will give a result larger than the maximum.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 04:10:10 am by mike89 »

<3 Thorn.

Offline ybbun

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 08:38:30 am »
Well, neither of us could get rings to reappear at the top. I can't load the savestate, I don't know why. If you insist it is possible then set 172 as the maximum, because you CAN get that total every single time without getting any rings more than once or using any glitches. It requires a counter-intuitive approach to the level but I don't want to give away the secret unless you tell me how the SB1 screen wrap works ;-)

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 11:39:43 am »
Let's make an exchange then

Offline ybbun

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 03:42:45 pm »
Or maybe an exchange with mike would be better since you're top of everything in Sonic 1 :p

I think the Spring Yard 3 score should not be used. I was just trying it and it's so annoying having to wait and hit each of the stars 10 times. There are about 30 on the level, some in annoying places, and it makes the whole thing really tedious. SY1 and 2 can be done in under 30 seconds so the gain from hitting the stars is only useful to get the minor competition positions. What do other people think?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 04:05:46 pm by ybbun »

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 05:06:53 pm »
I agree. Bumping all stars would be very unpleasant!
And about the exchange, you decide. I'm here just in case...

Offline ybbun

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 02:43:07 pm »
Never mind about the exchange for SB1, I figured it out - just achieved all 307 rings for the level, 10 better than the current record of 297 shared by 3 people. Now to beat the SB3 rings record and I've owned all of Scrap Brain, lol.

With no response from sonichero about his 238000+ on Marble 2 I suggest it should be deleted.

maggot you agreed about SY3 then went and got a new record for it!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:54:49 pm by ybbun »

Print

Hits: 357 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.24 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.