don't click here

Its time for a contest!

Print

Author Topic: Its time for a contest!  (Read 58558 times)

Offline eggFL

Re: Its time for a contest!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 05:09:12 pm »
Of course I had the satisfaction of TA/SA'ing my own stages, this is what I got for the record:

Perilous Journey 1
0:42:60

Perilous Journey 2
1:25:22

So RPG got a better time than me in PJ2, very nice RPG!

Man, PJ1 was supposed to be a multi-tiered climb, but for all that effort, one path is apparently much faster than the others, and there is little work to get into that path. At least there's the gimmick at the end... (the ceiling half-bowl with a spring that pushes you into the wing)

PJ2 turned out much better. I was really fed up how I had to shave off almost all the aesthetics because I reached the size limit of the stage, but in retrospect it's all right. I haven't yet been able to tell with certainty which paths are the fastest, and I guess that rules.

Later I will be less selfish and TA the other levels.

Btw, the only reason Fungal Paradise 2 is long is because of the mushroom parts. So Spinballwizard cheated his level length. >_>

Thorn (gs93?) - sorry I got you confused with RPG.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 05:13:58 pm »
^Good, then the prank caught somebody.

EDIT: *looks down*  Yeah, "whatever" all you want.  The three of us got a few laughs, and nobody was hurt.  That's all we did that for, and it's safe to say we got what we wanted.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 05:25:06 pm by Thorn »
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline eggFL

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 05:20:22 pm »
whatever

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 06:18:19 pm »
Hm, my PJ1 was far from perfect, and if you spindash at the end its impossible to 'finish' the stage, you just bounce between the springs forever, heh. Ill have to investigate for this pro route, Im assuming I dont have it, although my run was far from perfect
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline eggFL

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 07:29:34 pm »
The bouncing between the two springs was inadvertant.

But why doesn't it count as finishing the stage? You passed the goal sign, so...

Your score and time is still shown.

In fact, it's even better I've noticed, because you can take as much time as needed to write down your time/score, instead of rushing since normally it returns to the option screen in 2 freakin seconds. :D

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2006, 07:36:57 pm »
Well it DOES count as finishing, but the game never returns to options so you have to Alt+F4 it and reopen it D:

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 07:37:53 pm »
*counts levels*  Two, three, four.  No way.  We wanted five zones and four levels.  We got exactly that.  Everybody wins?!?

I still wanna see what the judges say, though.  I want to know who to mooch off of in terms of design.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 07:49:28 pm »
Well it DOES count as finishing, but the game never returns to options so you have to Alt+F4 it and reopen it D:

I think F2 works

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 09:18:38 pm »
G Fusion: 0:55:18
MF2: 0:42:44
PJ1: 0:42:26 Pwned ^_^

The latter would be sub 40 if It werent for one spring screwing me over every time. >_>
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 09:49:15 pm by RPGnutter »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2006, 05:09:13 pm »
We need judgments down here judges >_>

Also scrappy 1:04:56 in PJ2.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2006, 08:40:58 pm »
*posts in agreement*  I agree.

Also, I'll arbitralily run TAs once I beat RPG's records in my own levels.  Then I'll do everyone else's.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2006, 06:56:55 am »
You'll get my judgements when I'm finished them ALL.  I was somewhat held up in that the last couple of days due to alcohol-related shenanigans, but I also want to give each due consideration.

Edit: Why didn't I do this anonymously, people are going to hate me for being mean :(
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 07:36:24 am by douglas »
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2006, 08:09:42 am »
I was somewhat held up in that the last couple of days due to alcohol-related shenanigans.

In other words you have been drunk for a few days straight amriite

Nah, take your time, heh, rushing the judging would be a bad idea also no we wont hate you but I will unless you give me perfect 50's *hint*

<_<

*shot*

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2006, 08:22:14 am »
I was somewhat held up in that the last couple of days due to alcohol-related shenanigans.

In other words you have been drunk for a few days straight amriite

Nah, take your time, heh, rushing the judging would be a bad idea also no we wont hate you but I will unless you give me perfect 50's *hint*

<_<

*shot*
Drunk for three days straight?  Moi?  coughcough21stbirthdaycough

I'm a good deal further in now, and my major observation currently is it's obvious these were built by TAers.  I am also fairly sure of who is my winner now (speculation ftw?).
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2006, 09:05:20 am »
To be completely honest, id have to say Thorn (as an overall entrant).

As for a single level, Mystic Forest 2.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2006, 11:27:09 am »
SCORES ON THE DOORS

Fungal Paradise Act 1 – SBW

Short and sweet, the smallest level up for judging.

Aesthetics – 7/10
Nice looking level, the tileset was used well and there was just enough going on to make it look good.

Playability – 4/10
Not bad, there were a couple of cheapish tricks (the oscillating ball down the slope comes up pretty fast for instance, and there's an infinite drop) but overall it was good to play.  If it were longer it would score much better.  It's also irritating that the grasshopper badniks jump into the scenery and stay there, but hey ho.

Flow – 5/10
Again, this is good but suffers because of the length of the level.  There are also some bits on the lower route that are dead-stops (through the glitchiness of the engine, but that's something a level designer will always have to deal with), although judging by RPG's time they can be overcome.  For me, it feels a little claustrophobic when speedrunning sometimes, but it gets the pressure on so it's all good.

Tilt – 8/10
This has a definite feel to it, a sort of compact, hazard-laden interior type level (Metropolis came to mind, or the underground parts of Marble/Marble Garden).  It's all thought out, and none of it overdone.  Also one of the trickier levels submitted, even though it's short.

Bonus Marks – 7/10
Multiple routes ftw, someone was listening to my marking scheme :).  Not only that, but they tie in with each other, giving the level a unified feel rather than each route is it's own level.  Nice job.

Score – 31/50

Green Forest – RPG

Big, open, flowing and with a godawful spring challenge in the middle, this is RPG's first entry.

Aesthetics – 4/10
I really don't know what to think about this.  There are times it's beautiful, and times it's ugly.  Floating springs not attached to anything and mismatched tiles abound.  This should really be scoring higher here.

Playability – 2/10
This is really where this level falls down.  Too many infinite drops with no warning; the first few plays through I feel I'm being punished for no reason.  Then there's the spring challenge – this is a no-no.  There is absolutely no indication of where you're supposed to go!  You have to learn it bit by bit, and if you make a mistake there's a fall all the way to the bottom waiting for you.  Enormously frustrating, although you did at least put a checkpoint at the top.  Things like that put gamers off replaying or even continuing a game.

Flow – 7/10
Again, you can tell this level was designed by a TAer – no mercy for the weak, apparently.  I still hate the spring bit, but once you get to know the level it's reasonably satisfying to blast through.  It's just sticking with it long enough to do that that's the difficult bit.

Tilt – 6/10
The spring bit is, I suppose, a noteworthy feature that gives the level distinction, as are the rollercoaster sections (which are well thought out and put together).  Not a huge amount else to really distinguish this level though.

Bonus – 5/10
A few alternate routes and also the spring-orgies for rollercoaster fun and frolics earn some points here.

Score – 24/50

Green Fusion Zone – Joe

Fusion is right – there's some of everything in here.

Aesthetics – 4/10
Too much of everything!  It feels too patchwork, too mish-mash.  The background work lets this down too, in that there's basically none except in places where it looks like an obstacle and is confusing.  There are nice touches though, like the Coconuts climbing the pipe.

Playability – 8/10
Nice level, always very obvious where you've to go next and no cheapness.  There's one infinite drop but you can be let off since it's obvious it's there and what you should do (that upside-down half-pipe bit).  I would've put a wall or something in the way, but it's fine.  I also liked the secret bits with all the goodies.

Flow – 5/10
Unfortunately, this level is either propelling you through it itself or is too blocked up with stuff to be a great TA level.  There's nothing in it that's particularly challenging from a TA standpoint, and the payoffs aren't great anyway.  Still fun though.

Tilt – 3/10
There's some nice features, like where you go all the way round the pipe to pick up the first invincibility, but it's still too much of everything and not enough individuality.  Too many types of badniks I think, and no gimmicks whatsoever.  It just doesn't feel distinctive.

Bonus Marks – 5/10
As I've said, I like the secret bits and there's the odd bit of branching routes.  Nothing mind blowing but still nice to see.

Score – 25/50

Mystic Forest 2 – Mike

Fly away with me.

Aesthetics – 4/10
They do the job but not a lot more.

Playability – 6/10
Definitely fun even past the novelty value, although the end bit would be at home in Press Right Adventure.

Flow – 2/10
It may flow but there's no real challenge to it, and hence no feeling of speeding through destroying the level.  I don't see it as a TA level to be honest.

Tilt – 10/10
Completely different and instantly recognisable.  A no brainer for marks here.

Bonus Marks – 6/10
Multiple routes, music, NiGHTS reference – all here, so have some marks.

Score – 28/50

Perilous Journey 1 - egg

Definitely perilous for my blood pressure.

Aesthetics – 2/10
Sorry, not good at all.  There are places that have been done properly, but a lot of the level (especially at the start) is a collage of mismatched tiles that look thrown together.  Too much going on, not enough continuity or alignment.

Playability – 2/10
It's never clear where you're meant to go.  A bunch of the routes just land you back where you started.  There's infinite drops with no warning.  A lot of the traps are really fiddly (or rely on sheer luck) to avoid (the two oscillating spike balls at the start for instance, they hit you if you're on the spring).  The start's definitely the worst bit, and it does improve after that (until the nasty can't-finish bit at the end), but to be honest I really didn't like it.

Flow – 4/10
Once you get an idea where the cheapness is it's not that hard to avoid and you can get a decent run through the level.  It still frustrates the hell out of me though.

Tilt – 4/10
There are some gimmicks and some clever use of them (like the two balls together) but mostly they end up being cheap tricks instead of interesting challenges (spinning spike platform immediately after the squashing spikes, for instance).  The thought is right, the implementation less so.

Bonus Marks – 5/10
Specifically chosen music, which I'm not sure fits but still qualifies you for some marks.  There are also multiple routes, although they seem to me to be totally disjoint rather than flowing together.

Score – 17/50

Perilous Journey 2 - egg

Marble Garden with cheap traps.

Aesthetics – 4/10
Again, not desperately well put together but an improvement over 1.

Playability – 3/10
At least there was space to run and a reasonably obvious path, but OH MY GOD SO MUCH CHEAPNESS.  Being spring-launched straight into spikes is not fun.  Infinite pits of doom are not fun.  Smashing a badnik and finding a Robotnik telly hidden behind it is not fun.  There's plenty more examples, but that gives you an idea.

Flow – 4/10
Again, when you worked out where the cheapness all is it's possible to avoid it if you plan like three screens ahead, and there's a little more space to run.

Tilt – 4/10
Plays a bit like Marble Garden in places, which is good.  Again, there's thought put into the gimmicks, but they end up being bloody impossible.  You're a sadist, dude.

Bonus Marks – 5/10
Points for music, some alternative routes and an attempt at unique traps.

Score – 20/50

Silent Meadow 1 – Joe

Silent my backside, this place is crawling with enemies!

Aesthetics – 6/10
Solid enough – stuck to the Emerald Hill set and it works well, although there's nothing particularly special about it.

Playability – 6/10
There's a nice mix of challenges and speed.  There are too many badniks though, especially of the sort that fly out of the wall you're running up and hit you, which is really annoying.  It's always reasonably obvious where you should go next.  Oh, and one thing that costs marks too – infinite drops.  Can't stress enough what a bad thing they are.

Flow – 7/10
Again, solid.  It could possibly use more alternate routes, and there are quite a few occasions you get stopped mid-run where there's no apparent need to be, but a fun speedrun nevertheless.

Tilt – 2/10
Not a lot that's original here I'm afraid.  So many types of badniks, coupled with no original use of features or gimmicks, mean this level doesn't really have much personality.

Bonus Marks – 4/10
As with Tilt, there's little in the way of innovative stuff that I can give marks here for.  There are a few hidden secrets though, and a couple of alternate routes kicking about, so credit for them.

Score – 25/50

Silent Meadow 2 – Joe

Indoor activities are rife in this one

Aesthetics – 6/10
As with Act 1, solid and do the job but nothing special.

Playability – 7/10
This one's quite contained, a more claustrophobic level like Metropolis or some such, but still with spring-orgies and open spaces to run.  A nice balance.  There's still some obvious cheapness though, which is a shame.

Flow – 6/10
This one's quite frustrating to TA until you discover that large chunks can be skipped if you're good.  Rewarding the best players gets you marks in this bracket.

Tilt – 4/10
Better than the previous one – there's some nice use of the hovering thingies, and better badnik placement, although there's still too many varieties.

Bonus Marks – 4/10
Exactly as for 1, although I'm not sure if we're meant to be able to access some of the alternate routes (but when has that ever stopped us?).

Score – 27/50

Jungle Coaster – RPG

The speedster's heaven.

Aesthetics – 3/10
I'm guessing this wasn't the focus of this level.  Functional and nothing more.

Playability – 2/10
No traps, no enemies, no nothing very much.  But then, this level wasn't built to be normally playable, was it?

Flow – 9/10
Ohmygodhowfastarewegoingiwannabesick!  Mentalist fun at insane speeds, this level was definitely built to be a TAer's plaything.  I'm guessing that this'll be the most competed-for level at TUSC :)

Tilt – 10/10
There ain't no other level I can think of like this one, and this achieved with springs and pipe.  Genius.

Bonus Marks – 6/10
Daftly appropriate music and multiple routes earn some points here, but then I doubt anyone cares – this was never going to win under my marking scheme, but it's sufficiently unabashed, unadulterated speed that who gives a damn :)

Score – 30/50

Jungle Peril 2 – RPG

Works much better with the music, for some reason.

Aesthetics – 5/10
Nothing fancy, it's all functional for this one.

Playability – 6/10
I was tempted to mark this down heavily because of things like if you hit some platforms then fall you can't get to the next section but you aren't automatically killed which are hella annoying, but then I played it with the music.  As a pseudo-boss level, it kinda works.

Flow – 8/10
A challenging level with high speed and high danger makes for a happy speedrunner.  But climbing AGAIN?!?  What are you doing at TSC when clearly your calling is up a mountain somewhere?

Tilt – 8/10
As above – as a pseudo-Boss level it works well.  If only Sonic DIY let you have a Robotnik in pursuit, it'd be perfect.

Bonus Marks – 3/10
Can't really give you more than 3 for the choice of music, and since there are no alternate routes that's what you get.

Score – 30/50

Rumble Hill 1

Insanity strikes back

Aesthetics – 7/10
A bit of a mish-mash but well put together and pretty nice looking.

Playability – 2/10
I felt like I was being thrown about by a stupidly strong ADHD kid.  Seriously, this level is nuts.  Unfortunately it's got enemies on high speed paths and infinite drops, which is bad.  Worse though is the never ending sense of “Where the hell do I go now?”.  Still, if you like disorientation, this is your level.

Flow – 8/10
The flip side of what I said above is that once you get a handle on it, it's insane amounts of fun.  Sod getting fast times, the feeling of being tossed about by an angry rhino while still having some semblance of control is awesome.

Tilt – 6/10
It's hard to say what makes this unique – it seems to have all the same kind of aspects as a standard level only done at fartoofast speed.  Still, there are some well thought out gimmicks that fit nicely into the level, so it's all good.

Bonus Marks – 6/10
For music, some multiple routeness and sheer madness.

Score – 29/50
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 11:32:49 am by douglas »

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2006, 11:28:44 am »
My top 3 have been left out for SUSPENSE purposes, but if you missed them they are (in no particular order):

Mystic Forest 1

Jungle Peril 1

Fungal Paradise 2

You can speculate as to the winner now :)

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2006, 01:34:49 pm »
Hmm... I wanna say that Jungle Peril 1 takes the bronze, just because you said that Green Forest was too confusing, and this seems like it might be the same.  It is a good level, though.  I'm not gonna touch the last two because I don't wanna try to judge Fungal Paradise 2 against my own level.

Also I'm very interested in how Rolken scores (wedding planning is high-priority, so I'm not holding my breath), as if it's out of 100 between the two of you, he might need to give near-perfect marks for anyone to even get an 80% (a "B" in my eyes).

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2006, 01:49:23 pm »
Heh, I'd've put JP1 as 3rd out of those 3 too, although I cant choose out of FP2 and MF1.

Some suprise marks in there IE MF2 scoring pretty low and JP2 scoring pretty high >_>

Also you better release your top 3 tonight ho <_<

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
IN THIRD PLACE IT'S . . .
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2006, 04:25:44 pm »
Jungle Peril 1 – RPG

A cut-and-shut of speed and style.

Aesthetics – 6/10
Why, RPG?  Why must you taunt me so?  All the beautifulness at the start and end of the level, all spoiled by your bland and boring pipe fetish in the middle?  Generally good, although a few tiny things that niggle at me prevent this scoring better.

Playability – 7/10
Generally very nice, although there are some bits that grate on me (such as that climbing bit with that semicircle you have to spindash up that you can't seem to face the right way on).  Also, some of the badniks placed right in the middle of a high-speed sections seem somewhat cheap.

Flow – 8/10
The climbing section aside, this is a nice level to TA, and was obviously built that way.  A couple of bits in the pipe section are irritating when you think you should be blasting full-pelt, but nothing serious.

Tilt – 6/10
It's an RPG level, it's fast and furious with random and inexplicable climbing in it.  More than anyone else's levels, I could tell if RPG had designed one of these :)  Since it's not purely speed and there is a lack of gimmicks or interesting challenging bits, this doesn't score as well as it might.

Bonus Marks – 5/10
Multiple routes and music choice, yes, but not a whole lot else that I can give you points for here.

Score – 32/50

As for the final two, it's close; in fact there's only one point separating them.  Who is my choice for the winner?  Tune in tomorrow to find out!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 04:28:55 pm by douglas »

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2006, 07:21:24 pm »
IN SECOND PLACE

Fungal Paradise Act 2 – SBW

Now the longest level up for judging, and that's not the only difference between it and Act 1.

Aesthetics – 6/10
The transitions at the start and end were well done and looked good.  The rest is, well, a bit minimalist for my liking.  Everything matches up and there's nothing nasty going on with mismatched tiles or whatever, but it's just bland.

Playability – 6/10
Argh, infinite drops.  Double argh, a spring that throws you back across the level and you end up back at it after catching up (finding a whole other bit of level there would have made it cool, as it it irritates me a little).  Excellent other than that though.

Flow – 8/10
I get the feeling this level was built for TAing.  Nice long fast bits, plenty in the way but avoidable, and the level nicely but not forcefully broken up by gimmick-sections.  It would have been even better had there been less level before the first brolly section and a little more after the last, but that's really nitpicking.  Long it may be, but to TA it's fun throughout.

Tilt – 8/10
Carefully chosen and positioned selection of gimmicks, nice transitions from one level section to another, nice selection of hazards/badniks.  Good stuff.  My only criticism is that the middle section with all the pipes is somewhat lacking in identity in comparison with the rest of the level, but it doesn't fit badly so I'm not punishing hard for it.

Bonus Marks – 8/10
Definite bonus marks for smoothly transitioning the style from Act 1 to middle section to end.  Multiple routes in the middle section are good, and because of the level size the obvious choke points don't really detract from that.  Gimmicks are sufficiently limited and well placed, and not individually overused.  Nice.

Score – 36/50

AND THE WINNER IS . . .

Mystic Forest 1 – Mike

NiGHTS references and cool levels, what more do you want?

Aesthetics – 6/10

There's nothing hugely wrong with this, but the different tilesets clash at times.  Also what's with the flying flowers?  Caves are wallpapered now?

Playability – 8/10
Always knowing where to go.  Rewards for taking more difficult paths, but not being punished for avoiding them.  Flowing sections mixed nicely with the more challenging sections.  YES.  My major complaint is that the lack of badniks/traps makes it pretty easy.

Flow – 9/10

This is a beautiful level to blast through.  No cheapness but plenty of rewarding challenges for the time reducingness, lots of fast bits but still a feeling you're in control.  Very very good. 

Tilt – 5/10

The opening bit where you fly through the spikes is cool looking, but not gameplay-affecting.  There's some nice use of falling platforms and overhead rails too (although the latter could have done with a danger element too).  Other than that, though, it's standard fare.

Bonus Marks – 9/10
NiGHTS reference and music score well, as does the floaty bit at the end and the ever-emphasised multiple routes.  This level pushed all my buttons.

Score – 37/50

Congratulations to everyone who entered, there was a hugely refreshing variety on show as well as high quality throughout (which is why I was harsh in my marking, had to separate y'all somehow!).  I can say that the winner is, for me, one of the most enjoyable platformer levels I've ever played, professional or amatuer.  Excellent work :)

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2006, 09:05:55 pm »
:o I actually eventually but FP2 very slightly on top but alas it appears this is not the case X)

Also some of you ho's atleast post times or something so I can see if Im gonna have to work for this Championship or not <_<

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2006, 12:58:46 am »
:O

Well I know Green Forest is the way it is because RPG wanted it to be EXACTLY (or as close to as possible) like the one in SA2(B). Otherwise, meh. I thought FP1 would score worst! (I never did get the time to polish it up before the deadline.)

My intent in FP2 wasn't for the spring to shoot you back, but I guess if you get it right you do end up flying back. Heh. And one of the more annoying infinite drops is at the first check, where you do end up flying right off if you don't jump right away. And it comes up fast. I've actually found a glitch that DIY has that can cause TAing the end to be annoying at best.

Also can all the levels be like, zipped into one file?
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2006, 09:35:16 am »
Thats the plan :o

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2006, 01:51:21 pm »
The .zip is on its way.  MegaUpload is taking care of it now, and there'll be a link here within an hour and a half (I hope).  It's a whopping 72 MB, so I hope you have time on your hands.  And for those of you who didn't submit music, I tried to pitch in, but my taste in music might not be the best.  You can shoot at me later.

Music comes from Ultrace's NiGHTS rips, Galbadia Hotel, Sonic Screen Saver (Genesis tracks), www.knuckleschaotix.info, and one was ripped from a hack by Heran Bago.  Knock yourselves out.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 03:53:51 pm by Thorn »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2006, 04:45:58 pm »
42:36 MF2

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2006, 05:03:58 pm »
Okay, the .zip has been uploaded.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MDWUL9NX
Bam.  Has everything except Little Planet included.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2006, 01:55:09 am »
I've noticed that those long, vertical sections from Emerald Hill seem to toy with the gravity engine of DIY when you pass them. There's one section of Mystic Forest 1 and Green Fusion that make these quite annoying at parts.

But hey, levels! And otherwise, MF1 gets my win. :D
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2006, 10:19:36 am »
^That glitch has bugged me even since I started Mystic Forest 1 back in May '05.  There's two glitches I've noticed:
   -You slow down unusually fast (oxymoron ftl) if you're spin attacking up a wall
   -If you catch the corner of a loop piece just right, you float in midair and can only move left/right
The only thing I can say is not to spin attack up walls.  That second glitch happens most often with the Marble Garden loop piece, so that's a level design problem that I think I wiped from the beta versions of MF1, and nobody else used the Marble Garden loops much.  It's fun to watch, though.

Also, can somebody post if they use the .zip?  I just wanna know if it works and isn't missing anything.  You don't need it if you got everything from this topic so far, else take it to get every level/BGM from the competition.

EDIT: Arbitrary TAing below.
Mystic Forest 1: 53.26
Mystic Forest 2: 42.54
Silent Meadow 1: 1:28.96 (hardly tried, I swear)
Silent Meadow 2: 27.00 (UBER-broken)
Fungal Paradise Act 1: 27.08
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 03:53:48 pm by Thorn »

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2006, 08:58:58 pm »
I got it. I'll edit with times later now.

MF1 - 1:30:70
MF2 - 0:53:30
SM1 - 1:41:68
SM2 - 1:55:06 - Got stuck on a lower route that has a very difficult jump that needs perfect timing. :(
RH1 - 1:31:86

Doing PJ next, but Act 1's pissing me off.

Also Marble Garden is an interesting choice for FP.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 11:42:30 pm by Spinballwizard »

Print

Hits: 372 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.21 MB | Time: 0.07s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.