don't click here

Hi, I'm stefan. ;)

Print

Author Topic: Hi, I'm stefan. ;)  (Read 7660 times)

Offline Stefan

Hi, I'm stefan. ;)
« on: July 05, 2006, 06:34:43 pm »
I joined soniccenter just today. I found myself trying to beat my own score toals and times on levfel and eventualyl stumbled across your site, which I've thought is great so far.

I am just curious, though, whatdo you generally look for when you time attack a level? Is there some general time attack strategy taht works with every level?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
Re: Hi, I'm stefan. ;)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 06:43:48 pm »
Hey stefan, welcome to TSC :)

General play strategy depends on the game.  There are various ways you can manipulate the gameplay to your advantage; for instance, in Sonic 2 if you're spinning when you go into midair you can go faster than the 'limit' so long as you don't press the d-pad in the direction you're going in (best example is Aquatic Ruin 2).

Strategy for finding routes varies; I tend to do ring attacking to explore a level, trying to figure out what's likely to be fastest, then time attack it constantly for a while to get a feel for it.  Tool-Assisted Speedruns can to show you the technically fastest route but often they're not humanly possible (http://tasvideos.org/ for TAS videos).  Of course, there's always the videos here too.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 08:48:53 pm »
Classic game route planning is pretty easy if you use the maps found onsite.

There's also the guides. I'm actually planning on writing one (or maybe two) for Advance 2 soon.

Douglas, had it not been for the TAS, I'd still have IP2. :(
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Stefan

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 09:19:30 pm »
Thanks for your replies everyone..

Unfortuantely, the only game I currently own is sonic adventure 2 battle - I once had sonic 1,2,3 and advance but gave them all away. :X Thanks, though.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 07:07:56 am »
GAVE THEM ALL AWAY???

What on earth were you thinking?? At least I have the small consolation of, when I sold my MegaDrive and games, I got some money out of it. I think about $100 - which was promptly spent on Banjo-Kazooie, if I recall well. In hindsight, I'd much rather have kept my MegaDrive and got BK - because BK is awesome.

Right. Anyway, welcome, and if you're looking for SA2B strats consult:
a) the video page
b) the guide page
c) the IRC channel - look for either SuperSonic101, RPG or Zephyr, they're the best players and know all the tricks. I could fill in if none are available though.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 12:14:28 pm »
Hey there dude, welcome to TSC :D
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Stefan

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 01:02:09 pm »
Yep.. gave - I was out of the gaming zone for a while and a friend wanted them.

I have decided, after watching these videos, that I am an absolutely horrendous time attacker.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 02:41:08 pm »
You didnt do so bad at Wild Canyon Mission 1 :D
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline X-5

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 02:53:50 pm »
hey there stefan, and welcome! I play SA2B occasionally, so if you want try to own all of my (pathetic for the most part) times then go for it!

and you say your a "terrible" time attacker, that's not really true because
it's all about practice, no one is gunna get a good time their first try.

a  good example is my city escape time, I had 2:57 on the first few tries which absolutely sucked, but after watching the 1:50 video and  5 days of practice at about 30 mins-1 hour a day I got it down to 1:59 which I feel is pretty good, only 9 seconds from the record.

if your determined for something, and you know you can do it you WILL eventually get it! just don't play for more than an hour at a time, or you'll probably get pissed off like I do and start performing worse.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 05:20:49 pm »
You've also got to remember that the kind of people who join TSC are the kind who spend rididculous amounts of time practising, devising routes etc.  We ain't average gamers dude :)
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 08:32:45 am »
Well, try getting Sonic Mega Collection.  It has the genesis games.

And hello there.  I'm Quartz, self-proclaimed "Boss Tamer", at least for the Advance games with boss times.  Eh but no one cares about that.

And don't scare the guy, Douglas.  All it takes is a video to start to get the hang of things and learn tricks.
Hi

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 12:11:12 pm »
I wasn't trying to scare him, just say that being able to compete with us makes you pretty good :)

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 05:05:40 pm »
hey, welcome to the site.

Some general SA2B tips to get you started, despite the fact that I'm lamer at it than other people:

-Spindash abuse will get you better times. If you go down a hill, quickly charge a spindash and release so you can move down the hill ASAP.
-Spindash-jump to reach far away places without much effort. Just charge a spindash, release, and immediately jump.
-Search for alternate ways to get to the next area in the stage rather than following the main path. Often, the main path isn't the fastest one, so experiment with everything.
-When you score attack, bear in mind that each second costs you 20 points (iirc). If you go after lots of rings, be sure that you're getting them as fast as possible, because although "the faster, the better" is true, remember that rings are worth 10 points each, too. Focus on more "direct" score (rings, enemies) than time, but don't completely ignore time altogether.
-Watch some videos of enemies/competitors/dark sides/friends with good skills. Familiarization with almost any game is spread by those who indirectly spread their stage knowledge and tricks through videos.
-Like Mike said, if you ever want some tips on a game, just contact the champions or main competitors of the game. Just check out the rankings to know who they are.

As they say in Starcraft, gl hf ka dd ds!
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Print

Hits: 719 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.14 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.