don't click here

New Next-Gen Sonic stuff: Storyline revelation and a few gameplay infos

Print

Author Topic: New Next-Gen Sonic stuff: Storyline revelation and a few gameplay infos  (Read 70235 times)

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
Well, Sega sounds like it's gonna have something promising, but I'm unsure how it'll work out.

The gameplay supposedly involves the return of the Adventure Field, along with stages which are reported to still be as Sonic-y as usual, though it's been reported that the camera is closer to the ground giving you a sense of speed, and that there will be many noticable paths instead of just one straightforward path. Nice from what we hear, eh?

Along with that, we have a brand new storyline. A rich princess of a royal family, Princess Elise, has found a Chaos Emerald and holds a "deep secret" from what we know. Eggman learns of her, how she has it, and captures her while also stealing her Chaos Emerald. Sonic soon knows of this and once again heroically attacks Eggman's forces. Along with that, we see a cream-colored Sonic-like character, who is supposedly Sonic's rival, look down and say "I've finally found it... the Iblis Trigger." Whatever the hell that means, of course it means that it'll have a good plotline twist as the story goes on. (As a side note, that character will also be supposedly playable along with Sonic.)

Sounds fanboyishly/fangirlishly unofficial, right? I thought so. But that's not true. Sega really is doing this.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/704/704896p1.html

Well? What do you think? Sound off plz.

[More details: http://uk.xbox.gamespy.com/xbox-360/sonic-the-hedgehog/704695p1.html ]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 03:30:10 pm by Rolken »
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Crowbar

ANOTHER recoloured rival?

You've got to be kidding me.

Don't like the sound of the whole princes schtick either. However, it does sound like this is either set a distinct amount of time in the future from where we've been so far (if all this talk of Sonic being much taller and older looking isn't just IGN blabbering on), or a different universe altogether. Which is at least interesting.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:48:23 pm by Crowbar »

Offline eggFL

Sounds fanboyishly/fangirlishly unofficial, right?

That's actually, exactly why Sonic is so cool.

The new info, regarding the story and the new character, boosts my interest greatly. I /expect/ to be blown away by the look of the new hedgehog. To me, his addition to the game almost guarantees the game's charm. It guarantees that this game isn't going to take Sonic back to the stone age. (archaic anti-fan ideal of a game with only Sonic and little/no story... then again, this game was said to have an emphasis on story to begin with. but still...) Now it's ok even if the game never gets more colorful than the drab ruins or city. Sonic has a rival to throw catch phrases at and vice versa. <3 <3

But I still have worries. This talk of Sonic changing appearance... that's unsettling. Where did they get 5 foot 11 inches from? Besides, that's too tall. Sonic doesn't actually /look/ taller than he does in Sonic Riders, if you ask me. Is this an official change or just IGN's ridiculous speculation (them saying "robotnik" and referencing chili dogs...) .. and what else has Sega changed? And where are the human characters and/or extras? And adventure stages with townsfolk? Are there going to be hedgehog extras? Are they all going to be hedgehog recolors?

Like I said in a certain chat: Judgement day for my fanfare >:D

Oh and btw:: I think we know who the fourth character in Sonic Rivals is.

Offline SprintGod

Plot is irrelevant. Level design is everything.
If you don't want people to treat you like you're stupid, then your best defence is to not be stupid.

Offline F-Man

Plot is irrelevant. Level design is everything.
Too right.

And I don't see reason to complain really. At least we're not again in the military + aliens theme.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
5'11"??? That's crazy! Of course, he'd probably be only about 5'3"*, but that's still too much.
This is like that thread at 4Kids: someone somehow got the idea that Sonic is 5 feet tall.

*like Robotnik and Vector, who claim to be about 6 feet, but really aren't even close

Hmm... Adventure Fields? That could be a good thing. SA's were a little rough,
but they weren't terrible, and they were some of the best places for glitches, anyway. :D
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
Well, story aside, gameplay sounds cool++. I never minded Adventure Fields myself, and multiple paths = win. Now we can use different routes as opposed to just finding glitches. :D

I believe Sprint said it best. ITT Sprint wins the topic.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
Pertaining to the "Ilbis Trigger"-

Quote from: some site when i searched for "latin ilbis"
In Judiasm and Christianity, the chief of demons is generally known as Satan or the Devil; in Islam he is known as Ilbis.

So apparently, Sonic is being referred to as some kind of devil trigger by this new character. I talked about it with some friends of mine, and they came up with that he could be referring to how Sonic can use the Chaos Emeralds to turn into Super Sonic.

Offline eggFL

coooooooooool

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk

In Judiasm and Christianity, the chief of demons is generally known as Satan or the Devil; in Islam he is known as Ilbis.

So apparently, Sonic is being referred to as some kind of devil trigger by this new character. I talked about it with some friends of mine, and they came up with that he could be referring to how Sonic can use the Chaos Emeralds to turn into Super Sonic.
Fleetway storyline ftw?
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Haha, so true. Of course, the difference between the games Super Sonic and the Fleetway Super Sonic is that the games Super Sonic is more badass-hero like compared to the evil maniac that is the Fleetway version, but I suppose you can't beat the similarity between the two.

Offline Crowbar

There isn't really any similarity between the two, given that Super Sonic in the games is just powered up Sonic, but in Fleetway he was a whole seperate character (eventually in the physical sense too).

If they were to take a Fleetway-inspired angle, though, it might just give this some justification for existing in my eyes. :O

Also

Fleetway storyline ftw?

More like Devil May Cry lolol

Offline Shadow Wedge

• Unofficial never-be-first for SAdv
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
    • http://IT DON'T EXIST ANYMORE
Quote from: PsyBorg
Along with that, we see a cream-colored Sonic-like character, who is supposedly Sonic's rival
According to rumour, this character is also going to be the fourth character in Sonic Rivals (PSP).
<3 Sonic Rush, Sonic Riders, Sonic Rivals. Rolko-style encoding: StH JJ1 Tal+++! $++++ GM
Yes it's correct, that ! is there.

Offline DaDude

...will this come out for the Revolution?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
You mean the Wii?

Probably not.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline CosmicFalcon

So... Sonic and another character will be both playable, and they are opposing forces. Y'know, I'd bet quite a lot on them joining forces at the end. I mean, it's not like Sonic Team haven't done this idea before. No less than four times.

So anyway, I'll buy it. And no matter how good all this stuff is, if the damn levels don't have bloody floors, I won't be happy.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
Another Sonic-set that I'll have to get for the collection if nothing else... hopefully, this one will be a little better...

Why can't we go back to the uber-smiling botnik who made EVIL level designs and actually hated Sonic?
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline eggFL

Eggman hates Sonic..... always has. :|

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile

Trailer is here. Ignore the text asking what Sonic is doing driving a car. http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/e3/sonic-e3-trailer-172311.php

Offline eggFL

;_;

That is so beautiful and righteous.

I said once that from the info we were getting, we wouldn't be able to tell the difference if the game was called Sonic Adventure 3. And in the end it really is. They went all out. To think I was worried they were going to decanonize or change what we knew about Sonic and start over to impress gamers who hate new Sonic, and nongamers who don't know anything outside the Genesis games. But on the contrary, they went /so far/ as to put Shadow in a jeep. Not only did they make a game for me, but they did the most they could to piss off the haters. What a kickass way to debut for the next generation.

The only downside to it is Eggman's new look. However, I can sort of see the need for it. Really, he doesn't look that different except that they merged him with more plausible proportions. I don't agree with it, but in any case, Eggman and Elise still aren't ultra realistic, and have that slight cartoon look, and everything else is also great. I'm really happy with what we're getting at this point.

Man, Eggman is a sexy beast.

Joking.

Anyway, I like the new character's design. The only thing I dislike is how they keep coming up with hedgehogs. Blaze is the one character I would've liked to be Sonic's rival, since she's actually different. XD But, as for the rest: the new graphic style, the new type of gameplay, I'm really getting psyched up for this. Gonna have to buy a 360 soon.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Trailer is here. Ignore the text asking what Sonic is doing driving a car.

If your referring to the 2nd picture, thts clearly Shadow driving the car :P

If your referring to something in the trailer, I wouldn't know due to not watched-ness :o
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
Beautiful. Fucking awesome from what I see.

I'm convinced this will be a good game with that new trailer. The new guy is "good enough" as of now, but everything else looks awesome. I'm convinced to BUYBUYBUY a used Xbox360 at some point along with this sooner or later. Even if it turns out to be crap anyway, it's worth a buy.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
I'm hoping this game will explain some things about Sonic's past.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

there are a few things that i do not like about the next gen sonic game, they slimmed down eggman and slimmed him down alot, tooo much i do this the addition of the white hedgehog and that they made sonic grow up making it realistic i mean come on sonic couldn't stay the same height for ever changing his height makes it more realistic, now i am a die hard sonic fan owning and 100% beating every sonic game that ever came out in the us, owning two copies of each game one that i play and one i keep in mint condition saying that some of these changes are good

Offline CosmicFalcon

Skylights: If the video on that link is the trailer, then the person who wrote that text beneath it is kinda dumb. From what I can gather, Sonic's gameplay is like SA3, Silver's is all psychic powers, and perhaps Shadow's gameplay consists solely of driving. Who knows.

Wavedash: I have said that many a time. And not once was I joking.

SonicTheHedgehog: For a die hard Sonic fan you sure as heck need a better handle (wtf does anyone use the term 'handle' any more?). I don't think the changes of characters' size is really to do with them 'growing up' or making it 'more realistic' (supersonic hedgehog, byebye realism), it's just a slight change in the graphical style. Obviously just by looking at the screenshots you can see the style is similar to the Adventures, but prettier, and much less cartoony than Heroes/Shadow.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline eggFL

I didn't like the idea of them changing Eggman's look because, the way I saw it, it's basically saying: "Dr. Eggman isn't a character, but merely a faceless staple of the series."

But after a while I got over it. He doesn't look half bad, and he doesn't even look all that different. When I saw a side-by-side comparison on ytmnd that had Eggman from a Shadow cutscene in it, and next to it, the Shadow version looked quite... well silly. I guess I can't argue with that reaction.

But if it's not one thing it's another. There is still one thing I'm fan angsting over:

http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=sonicnext

In there it reads:
"In his first adventure set in the human world, Sonic meets..."

Wait what?? wth Sega >:|

The first time I owned the Sonic games for myself was Sonic Jam. I guess I should consider myself privileged because Saturn was sort of niche at the time, and Sonic Jam was a great 'educational' demo of Sonic. It had plenty of media from the japanese commercials, the WB-style cartoon, and an ad for the anime movie. So one thing I thought was made fairly clear in Sonic Jam was that Sonic lived in the same world humans did and not some mushy furdom. Although I suppose with the localization and the Satam and comic series, I would probably have been branded an elitist just for knowing what I did.

When Sonic Adventure came out I thought it was the greatest thing ever. (perhaps it was) On Dreamcast, the world of Sonic was officialized and empowered to the point of undeniability. And then Sonic Adventure 2 went even farther and rather than just empowering the background premise of Sonic series, it threw it into the forefront.

So besides the entire series supposedly taking place in the same world, and three games (Adventure, Adventure 2, Shadow) making it painfully obvious what kind of world it is, where does Sega marketing get off saying this is the /first/ adventure in the human world?

And I mean, I even considered the grim possibility that this is a prequel in which Sonic first visits the human world from --GOD KNOWS WHERE-- but there would need to be a lot of explaining of why Shadow is in the game.

Though likely and in the best case it's nothing more than drivel in a meaningless marketing writeup, not any more canon than 'Mobius'. Pisses me off though.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
http://news.sonicstadium.org/story/191/

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

-Blaze: Blaze is the surprise character of the story with connections to Silver. Our source suggested that these connections may imply the alternative reality from which she and Eggman Nega originated from is infact a future reality. The Sol Emeralds also feature in the plot; however connections between Soleanna and the Emeralds are yet to be made.

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

No longer does it seem like a revival of the past games... it's more like a "take everything that the fans thought were cool that we made and put it in one game" kind of approach.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Sounds like Sonic Heroes in that respect.

In other words, not good.

<3 Thorn.

Print

Hits: 426 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.32 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.