don't click here

Would you play this game?

Print

Author Topic: Would you play this game?  (Read 5060 times)

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« on: March 16, 2006, 05:08:39 am »
Okay, I'm probably going to be entering a game design competition this summer, and I have a concept. My question is: would you play it?

The game will be an action-adventure style game akin to Zelda, except that your character will advance in a non-linear manner as in an RPG and you can have an AI party with you. It's set in an epic fantasy-adventure world, predominantly within a city (that'd likely be as large as any in the GTA games).

Now the slightly different bit: it's trendy for games to have multiple endings depending on whether you're "good" or "evil", but I want to build a quest/dialogue engine that will be dependant on many factors: things like humour/seriousness, greed/selflessness, bravery/cowardice and so on. In essence, your character would have a well developed, constantly changing personality, and different paths through the game would depend on certain aspects of your personality (eg a serious character might not get a dialogue option to tell a joke).

So it's a bit like The Sims meets Zelda meets Neverwinter Nights. What I really want is to create a game world more immersive than anything anyone else has done, although I'm not sure that'll work Smile Anyway, any thoughts? Please don't say MMORPG, the world and his wife are making them at the moment and I want this to be unique!
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:30:40 am »
Give me the option to be a Knight that hurls fireballs around and Im sorted :D
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 04:12:55 pm »
I would be interested.

Give the option to be an unholy knight that throws around iceballs and I'm happy too. X)
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 06:15:03 pm »
Although you mention an epic fantasy world, what technology level are you setting the city in? Still, if this game gives the option of being a twin sword wielding pyschopath that likes frying people with lightning, I'm happy.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 06:58:36 pm »
The tech level would likely be post-medieval but not by far; there'll be some more sophisticated weaponry like compound crossbows, but nothing that could be identified as modern machinery.

I'm sensing that as a theme people like skillsets that are cross-class (ie a fighter can learn spells, a mage can learn to fight etc).  Obviously your chosen class would bias it somewhat . . . or we could be rid of a class system and have a heirarchical skill system.  The problem is that it would have to be carefully weighted so that choices in which skills to choose actually matter.  Also that might get very complicated, which is a pain both for the average gamer and those of us who have to write the thing!

Hmm . . . something to think on, certainly.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Print

Hits: 115 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1019.10 KB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.