don't click here

TSC dev update

Print

Author Topic: TSC dev update  (Read 8798 times)

Offline Rolken

TSC dev update
« on: March 10, 2006, 08:34:26 am »
The dark Sandpolis skin is very nearly finished, with the other two styles to follow, and I've started designing the next skin. It'll be themed on Route 99 from Sonic Advance 3 and be radically different from Stardust and Sandopolis, which are functionally similar. Also it'll be more based on F-Man's HTML hijinks. It probably won't be finished for quite awhile, as I feel some of the other stuff is more significant right now than yet another skin.

Next-gen TSC dev moves onward. Further details to come in a month or two. Awards are functionally finished, however I don't have much in the way of actual images or other gimmicks to award yet so they remain unreleased. :| Other current priorities are making the media/text system cooler.

I'm considering porting/revamping the forums to something which can actually be skinned along with the site instead of being stupid and lame looking. This would likely mean the loss of some capabilities (eg. calendar, "my assistant", maybe file attachments, etc). Would that be considered that a worthwhile tradeoff?
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
TSC dev update
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:57:34 pm »
Let me just say that when it is finished, Sandopolis will be sexy. :o

Also who uses calendar and assistant and file attachments? But also what do you have in mind?
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline SadisticMystic

TSC dev update
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 04:27:05 pm »
I have no need for the calendar or My Assistant.

One thing I would like to see is the fixed/scrolling BG apply to the forum.  For some reason, the fixed setting causes FF 1.5 to take 100% CPU usage whenever I scroll down a forum page.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
TSC dev update
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 09:51:17 pm »
Heh, works just fine on my 1.0.7. >_>

Then again, doesn't 1.5 have memory leak problems or something like that?

And obviously by "who uses" I mean "nobody."
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Rolken

TSC dev update
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 03:39:28 am »
Smooth scrolling causes TSC to scroll slowly in any flavor of firefox I've used. The huge fixed bg apparently forces it to rerender each time it scrolls down a pixel and consume lots of resources in the process. It's quite annoying, and not the only rendering issue/bug Firefox has with TSC.

Offline DJ Koopa

TSC dev update
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 12:46:21 am »
Sandopolis and/or Route 99 are going to be bright skins, right? RIGHT?

Because, all of the skins now are too dark for me to see most text without highlighting it. The classic skin is good for me to see, but the submissions page doesn't work on that skin, so I can't use it right.
[img width= height=]http://www.cutandpastescripts.com/cgi-bin/randomimages/randomimages.pl?username=Turbos[/img]

Offline F-Man

TSC dev update
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 10:50:20 am »
My only concern is that they have tolerable font sizes; like the one used for forum posts, that's one's cool.

Offline Rolken

TSC dev update
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 11:42:12 am »
There will be three sandopolis styles, one for each brightness level of Act 2. Route 99 will be bright as well. I'm craving a bright skin myself.

edit; oh yeah, looked at the cerulean skin but couldn't figure out what was going wrong. I'll look at it again today D:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:44:59 am by Rolken »

Offline F-Man

TSC dev update
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 06:03:11 pm »
Oh and also,
I'm considering porting/revamping the forums to something which can actually be skinned along with the site instead of being stupid and lame looking. This would likely mean the loss of some capabilities (eg. calendar, "my assistant", maybe file attachments, etc). Would that be considered that a worthwhile tradeoff?
[snapback]10496[/snapback]
I am pro the removal of totally useless features like the calendar and assistant. File attachments are nice... but I never use them, some people could find them useful though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 06:03:44 pm by F-Man »

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
TSC dev update
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 08:20:37 pm »
Yea, those are pretty damn useless. I never use the File Attachment either, but other do use it. I know Marth uses it a lot.
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline DJ Koopa

TSC dev update
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 12:57:17 am »
oh yeah, looked at the cerulean skin but couldn't figure out what was going wrong. I'll look at it again today D:
[snapback]10553[/snapback]
Did you update the Cerulean skin to the new Submissions menu thing? I remember it was diffrent back then somewhat.
[img width= height=]http://www.cutandpastescripts.com/cgi-bin/randomimages/randomimages.pl?username=Turbos[/img]

Offline Rolken

TSC dev update
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 01:49:08 am »
The skins usually don't need to be updated when the page layouts themselves are.

The mistake was, in retrospect, a totally obvious one; I changed stat submissions to /submit/stats, and didn't change the Cerulean custom menu links to match. D'oh.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 01:50:16 am by Rolken »

Offline DJ Koopa

TSC dev update
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 05:15:35 pm »
Thanks, Rolk! I love you! <3

*switches to Classic Cerulean*

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
TSC dev update
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 05:30:55 pm »
I never use the File Attachment either, but other do use it. I know Marth uses it a lot.
[snapback]10570[/snapback]

I was just about to say that I use the attachment feature a lot. :P

So, yeah, that's kind of important. I don't use the other things, though.
I don't think it'll be worth it if the new skins mean fewer features.

Look at 4Kids. The skin is shiny, blue, and a lot less kiddish than before.
The downside? The pages are narrow (which messes up my older posts),
stuff has been moved (which has confused a bunch of members),
and a few things have been removed. One of them is the list of pages
in a thread or forum ("Page 1, 2, 3...  327679999, 327680000").
Now, I have to go one page at a time. ("next page>")
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Print

Hits: 738 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.09 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.