Welcome Center > News and Updates

New Heaven, New Earth. Introducing a new site rule

<< < (2/4) > >>

InferSaime:

--- Quote from: Zeupar on January 01, 2017, 10:05:00 pm ---As of 2017/01/01, all first-place records (including ties) must have a video of the whole run linked in the stat comment. Emulator runs must have an input file linked instead. Please, use the following site to upload input files: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php

--- End quote ---
I like the new rule for untied records but I see no reason why charts like this http://www.soniccenter.org/rankings/sonic_4_episode_i/rings/splash_hill_boss/sonic would need to require a video.

Eco Kenneth Nathan:
This new rule is a great idea, I mean I was once blamed for unreliable stats once when I was a member, mainly back when I first joined, although back then I didn't know about the link video comment thing. InferSaime got me out of that jam.

This will help everyone stop complaining about records posted without proof. No one will be mad or upset pretty much on the site, it's all comfortable here on out.

I always add proof of my stats even if they are second rate, that's how I roll, I follow the rules.

Video evidence or not, i always know a record I can't beat or get close to, after all, we got some glitch users out there, my stats are performed clean and fair ( whole stage with no tricks or glitches ) more like TSC back when glitch less runs on the games took place. so I always end up 10th or even 20th place on the rankings for the games, but it's cool, I am proud of my stat achievements even if they are not the best.

PS4 cost too much for me right now, so I am going to enjoy the classics for a while.
I hope TSC grows even better, and even make some more friends. Cherrio everyone.

Etch:
I think it's a great idea and will help make future WR's more credible to those on the outside.  It's impossible to verify every submission but the top spots must take more scrutiny.  If you love the game, you'll make that extra step to help make the rankings and this site stronger.  It also helps motivate new members to reach new heights.

Ultimately, it starts with us so let's keep leading by example!

SB737:
I definitely think that this is a good idea and a step in the right direction for TSC (especially with games like Sonic Mania and Project Sonic 2017 coming, which are very likely to spark a resurgence in competition). 

--- Quote from: InferSaime on January 02, 2017, 12:41:14 pm ---I like the new rule for untied records but I see no reason why charts like this http://www.soniccenter.org/rankings/sonic_4_episode_i/rings/splash_hill_boss/sonic would need to require a video.

--- End quote ---
I think the new rule reduces players lying about ring stats or extremely easy records to tie, as it has been known in the past for players to just post stats for easy ring records, on the premise that they know they could do it if they tried it, so admittedly for some games it wouldn't be proving something extremely difficult, but it would prove that others are competing fairly.

--- Quote from: TimpZ on January 02, 2017, 09:40:08 am ---Does this mean that if you do a run on an emulator that you are required to use one with rerecording functions? I don't think that's a very good idea at all :/. For one it would clash with the rules on speedrun.com which means that if you do full game runs then you can't submit times if you happen to get an IL PB. Also it forces users to use the rerecording function of TASing emulators which is better than no required proof at all but still does nothing to combat cheating if you know what you're doing. Splices are way harder to do than savestates and hex edits :). Regardless, I very much appreciate the steps you are taking on this.

--- End quote ---

I also think that Timpz raises a good point. I assume if the emulator you use has the ability to record input files then you would need to record that and post it, however if someone uses an emulator like Fusion for example, would a video alone be accepted? Imo that would be best, rather than encouraging someone to use an emulatior with TASing functionality over a non-TAS one, however I suspect that Zeupar means for this to be the case anyway.

It's good to see TSC still taking steps to move forward, and I'm looking forward to future competition :)

hfactor66:

--- Quote from: SB737 on January 09, 2017, 04:56:35 am ---I think the new rule reduces players lying about ring stats or extremely easy records to tie, as it has been known in the past for players to just post stats for easy ring records, on the premise that they know they could do it if they tried it, so admittedly for some games it wouldn't be proving something extremely difficult, but it would prove that others are competing fairly.

--- End quote ---
The best example I can think of this is Shadow's Mission 13 in Sonic 06. Only 18 rings, which sounds really simple, except that 4 of the rings are out of bounds, which requires you to figure out how to get out of bounds to get them, and get back in bounds to finish the level. Took me months to figure out where the hole to get out of bounds was.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version