don't click here

Should I be doing this?

Print

Author Topic: Should I be doing this?  (Read 14230 times)

Offline mathfreak231

Should I be doing this?
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:17:24 pm »
I started a white-hat exploiter account and I'm just using him to find really easy exploits in the TSC website, and I want to know if I should be doing this or not? Does it do more harm than good for the website?

Thanks.

Offline flying fox

Re: Should I be doing this?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 01:45:21 pm »
No >_>

Offline Kirbymon30

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 04:12:59 pm »
...On the contrary, why shouldn't he be doing it? Last I checked many people were debating on how to improve the site, and since we have no active programmers to scout out these issues for us, shouldn't any help be appreciated? We can't fix them at the moment, sure, but it's less work for Gerbil whenever he swings by.

Now, I realize I don't have any say in this, but I see no reason for you to shoot mathfreak down automatically when he is clearly trying to help the site. Yes, multiple accounts are against the rules, but in the state we're in currently does it really matter if he isn't using it for serious competition? It's not like whatever he finds has to be made public until they are fixed, and if someone does use bugs to their advantage...you have a banhammer.

If you want the community to see any improvement whatsoever, nay-saying a volunteer outright without any given reason probably isn't the best move.
~Sonic Lost World Top 10~
Primary Goal (as of 12/1/14): Dabble into some easy things. Mostly Sonic Chaos, might go back to CD11/Lost World at a later date but most likely not. I'm not that invested in this stuff anymore :V
Secondary Goal (as of 12/1/14): Smash is love, Smash is life

CS Bullshit:

Kirby number TooManyDamnKirbys. Just shy of TSC's youngest, but undoubtedly TSC's stupidest. In fact, I should probably heed this advice:

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit."
                  - Jim C. Hines

Offline Don

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 04:29:12 pm »
If you want the community to see any improvement whatsoever,

So bugging the site is going to improve the "community"? This is about the site's inner workings, right?

IF anything Gerbil should say something about it since he's the site coder; anybody else (except maybe SonicAD) has no idea on how the websites code works, so giving him a free pass is, if anything, a worse idea. Especially coming from someone who has "no say in this".

Offline flying fox

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 04:37:41 pm »
First of all I didn't shoot him down, I only stated no.

Second of all how do we know he's not doing any harm to the site. When I asked someone about this I got the impression that it might not be a good thing. If he wants to help that's fine, he should've gone to Gerbil in the first place and talked to him about it, before making a false account which I had to nuke.

Offline Kirbymon30

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »
The problem here is that both Gerbil and Sonic AD are very rarely around, and when they are, they don't stick around for long. If they were here more often this could be sorted out much more easily and I would probably agree with the both of you. But they aren't, and considering the "limbo" we're stuck in, it isn't like we have much to lose.

Also, I don't think he'd be straight out asking for permission if his intent was malicious, because that would straight away reveal his identity. That would be pretty stupid on his part.

@Don: You are reading too much into my word choice. In this case "community" applies to everything regarding the site at this point, but I apologize for any confusion.
~Sonic Lost World Top 10~
Primary Goal (as of 12/1/14): Dabble into some easy things. Mostly Sonic Chaos, might go back to CD11/Lost World at a later date but most likely not. I'm not that invested in this stuff anymore :V
Secondary Goal (as of 12/1/14): Smash is love, Smash is life

CS Bullshit:

Kirby number TooManyDamnKirbys. Just shy of TSC's youngest, but undoubtedly TSC's stupidest. In fact, I should probably heed this advice:

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit."
                  - Jim C. Hines

Offline flying fox

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 05:36:06 pm »
mathfreak: If you want to help out then please speak to Gerbil about it. If you did find out anything about the site, please don't post them publicly and just send them to Gerbil. 

Offline mathfreak231

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 07:10:17 pm »
Mmkay guys (oh my god autocorrect keeps turning that into "my guys" ???) I'll stop for now, maybe asking Gerbil in the future

although it is a bit difficult to see if exploits actually work without testing them

you can go ahead and do whatever you want with the acc then

Offline mathfreak231

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 07:40:41 pm »
Is there a way to remove the score from the chart or did I just plague it, forever? :(

Offline flying fox

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 08:01:54 pm »
Yes either Zeupar does it or Sadistic Mystic gives me full admin forum powers and I do it.

Offline Don

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 08:24:11 pm »
...On the contrary, why shouldn't he be doing it? Last I checked many people were debating on how to improve the site, and since we have no active programmers to scout out these issues for us, shouldn't any help be appreciated? We can't fix them at the moment, sure, but it's less work for Gerbil whenever he swings by.
Quote from: Kirbymon30
The problem here is that both Gerbil and Sonic AD are very rarely around, and when they are, they don't stick around for long. If they were here more often this could be sorted out much more easily and I would probably agree with the both of you. But they aren't, and considering the "limbo" we're stuck in, it isn't like we have much to lose.

Is there a way to remove the score from the chart or did I just plague it, forever? :(

Quote from: flying fox
Yes either Zeupar does it or Sadistic Mystic gives me full admin forum powers and I do it.

So it boils down to this: The people who are supposed to fix things that are broken on purpose need to be around/notified to fix them, so planning without them will not work out well in the end.

Now this particular issue has already been fixed, but if there are any problems within the code itself, only Gerbil/SonicAD could fix them. As pessimistic as this oversight might be, this would not bode well for the site.

Print

Hits: 294 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.04 MB | Time: 0.16s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.