don't click here

Just to say...

Print

Author Topic: Just to say...  (Read 23042 times)

Offline flying fox

Just to say...
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:46:57 pm »
Thought I should make this topic so that the people who aren't in the Race Nights skype group will know about this. Me and Hyper have been talking about Race Nights recently and we both decided to step down and stop running it. We're still going to have races happening, it just won't be organised any more on TSC. So yeah thanks guys for joining and hope you had fun while it lasted :D

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Re: Just to say...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:53:56 pm »
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:00:22 pm »
Whoa. There goes the end of an era, and a huge part of what has been keeping sheltered remnants of TSC alive.

What now?

(Hint: Time for a new set of Emerald Challenges)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:41:18 pm by SpinDashMaster »

Offline Mastakirby

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:59:09 pm »

Was afraid that this might happen D:
Life is like a big bowl of animuu

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Offline InferSaime

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:19:28 am »
Well, I'll miss these race nights. I did enjoy racing in them (also watching them) a lot. I met quite a lot of awesome people through it too. I also would like to thank Flying Fox and Hyper for organizing them over the pstt 2 years. It was a lot of fun (well at least for me) :)

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 01:32:15 pm »
For all the sadness about races being "gone", it seems like it'd be easy enough for you all to organize them if you work together. Why not do just that? Just because Hyper said "this must come to an end" doesn't make that true. If he's correct and it's lost its appeal, then you all wouldn't be so bummed, right?

Honestly, I agree with him on that point, but you guys aren't acting like you agree, so I'm interested in seeing what you do about it.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Don

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 01:53:55 pm »
Again this doesn't mean "racenights" end, it just means we'll race whatever we want, whenever we want, instead of having a set schedule to follow.

I still remember the last racenight(s) i was in; among them, Labyrinth, where we did a two man race because no one else wanted to or was around. I think if we just race whatever, whenever in a skype group we can be much more flexible, and also race more games we actually want to race.

That means no dead races where 2 people race for the sake of completing it on the schedule, they could just race because they actually want to be racing. The possibilities are big, we just have to go through with it and people are gonna have to organize it themselves and see if people wanna join.

That also means we're no longer just set to race on saturday, 3PM EDT.

Just to clarify i agree with this system because it's much more leisure and doesn't force people to race games they do not want to be racing.

Offline PvtCinnamonbun

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:26:55 pm »

D*ng dude, that's a bummer. I never really branched out from playing Generations, but race nights were always there to motivate me to do so someday. I understand that there are only so many games that can be raced, but could these return someday as a monthly thing instead to keep the games list from going stale?

Offline Goldwolf11

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 08:13:56 pm »
Ah,this is a bit depressing.I was just starting to get into this kinda thing.I honestly wouldn't mind joining that Skype group and doing races whenever/wherever,because it's more flexible that way,and it means we race games that we want to race,not ones where there's 2-3 people racing just for the sake of racing.How do I join the Skype group? Is there anyone in particular I need to add?
I really only play SA2, honestly. (On PS3!)

SA2 stuff:

Hero Story PB: 53:38 (48:44 In-game)

-Currently Learning/Practicing-
Final Rush m1 (no skip)
Eternal Engine m1 (no skip)
Crazy Gadget m1 (no skip)
Mission Street m1

Offline Token

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 04:10:27 pm »
Kinda saw this coming for multitude of reasons.

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »
I don't like this. I know my attendance have declined the last few months but that's because the races are always in prime time party/movie night/SSBM tournament/whatever hours for me and having a job, girlfriend etc. just comes in the way a lot of the time. Adding to that, more than a few games were unavailable to me due to console exclusives etc. on nights I actually could join which was disappointing (but not on the organisers fault!)

I've really enjoyed RN because of several reasons. It has made me play through many sonic games and hacks I'd never play otherwise. It has helped me make friends and other contacts on TSC I'd probably wouldn't get to know otherwise such as FF or Mastakirby. It made me feel more motivated to be competitive and practise games I wouldn't against others who also just practised for that particular game.

Racenights won't be alive at least in the format it has been the last 2 years, but I definitely feel like the potential is still there. I do understand people being a bit bored of the format after about 100 racenights, same day, same time, same games. What we need is evolution, fresh ideas and more interactivity and flexibility. Some quick ideas I can throw out:

Mystery games: People don't know what game we're going to race until a few hours in advance. Should be reserved for games that are widely available rather than e.g. 06 that's console exclusive.

Flexible times: People joining the race should have a system for voting on starting time over the entire weekend, with a script calculating the most optimal time for everyone. Alternatively just make it sundays for gods sake :p!

Crew battles: People gather up in teams and their times are added up. The team with the shortest total time wins.

Monthly games: The same game is raced every week for a month. There's many ways of progressing from there; Biggest improvement, lowest added total time, adding your placement numbers and lowest # wins etc.

Afterparty: Online games after the races, other games/activities. Make it into a planned out all-night event.

TSC-stream: Every week a few people restream the top racers on the TSC twitch channel, preferably with some commentary. Could potentially be very revitalizing for the site.

The only reason RN's have been alive for as long as it has is because of the dedication of Flying Fox and Hypersonic7701. Letting it die now would be an enormous waste of potential. What we need is more volunteers, interactivity and fresh things to do.

Something I want to point out though; what I feel like was the absolute prime time for racenights was around 6-12 months in, during the winter/spring of 2012/13. We were a tight group of friends having a fun time, while playing games moderately fast. It was for me a highlight of my week to join the races even if I knew that I'd do bad. I feel the main reason it has deteriorated for me is the skype group, not the format itself. Also even if I do like everyone in the call, it's impossible to really enjoy yourself when 10 people try to talk at the same time. But this problem is the easiest to fix, I just wanted to point out that I think that the format of the skype group itself has been a very important part of letting this die for the moment.

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 05:35:47 pm »
Hmm.

Duels. Live. On the stream link. Watching two of you do that on SR:ZG during the marathon was quite entertaining.

Just a thought.

Print

Hits: 1,020 | Hits This Month: 30 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.13 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.