don't click here

Why Sonic 06 is a bad game

Print

Author Topic: Why Sonic 06 is a bad game  (Read 37291 times)

Offline SB737

Why Sonic 06 is a bad game
« on: October 31, 2012, 02:15:36 pm »
So, apart from it being super hard, super glitchy, having a stupid princess that sonic falls in love with and taking me ages to complete, why does everyone hate this game...

The storyline isn't that bad, the bosses are pretty epic, this isn't a tiny game like Generations. Silver was introduced and he was a little slow but had awesome psychic powers. Also there were loads of abilities for the characters, and you actually got to play with other characters, not just Sonic (in recent games the only character you can be is Sonic), so what do you guys think of this game?
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

Offline Cream147

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Why Sonic 06 is a bad game
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 03:09:50 pm »
Sonic 06 is super hard?
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline SB737

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 03:11:59 pm »
was for me when i played it, the levels were so long I couldn't stay alive without gaming over

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 04:01:25 pm »
The game is quite long, which I liked. I feel recent games (bar unleashed) have been way to short for my liking. other than that, RACE

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline theultimategamer95

• Your typical speed runner
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • I am the ultimate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:11:51 pm »
Good things about Sonic 06: the soundtrack.
Now let's move on to the negatives...hmm, where to start...
My Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/theultimategamer95

My PSN = greatgamer83

My Skype = theultimategamer95

Offline Parax

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 05:23:15 pm »
Nobody likes Sonic 06 because it is bad. The storyline is convoluted and full of plotholes. The voice acting is awful. The frequency and length of the loading screens is absolutely ridiculous, especially in town missions. The hubs are overly large and difficult to find your way around. The game itself is a broken buggy mess. You cannot play the game for more than five minutes without coming across another scripted section that doesn't work the way it's supposed to or being cheaply killed because of a glitch. The physics are weird/non-existent. The game doesn't autosave. There are loads of bad design decisions (why are bounce and light dash on the same button??). The character designs are really awkward (look at Eggman). All this stuff is just scratching the surface of what's wrong with this game.

I don't think you can even argue that the game wasn't rushed. It's plainly obvious if you go digging through the game's files. There are a shitload of icons, text, and sound files referencing things that aren't in the final game. Even the manual has tons of information and screenshots depicting things that just plain aren't in the game. The Kingdom Valley demo that was released a couple months before the game came out doesn't even play the same way the final does because the demo is from a later build than the final (wtf).

If they had delayed the game a year and actually finished it, implementing all the features they had in mind and actually debugging the whole thing, then it would've been significantly better (though probably still not -good-, as a fair chunk of Sonic 06's problems come from intentional design decisions rather than from glitches). As it is though, 06 was a game that was way too ambitious and ultimately fell way short.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 05:35:33 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G6zV3aY4ZU

Pretty much nothing else needs to be said.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:39:12 pm »
Try getting off a wall with Knuckles

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 05:42:37 pm »
..and Rouge. Also that mach speed sections :(

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 06:29:38 pm »
Generations is a tiny game...?

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:55:49 pm »
I like 06. Now there are somethings wrong with it, like Sonelise, but I find it really fun to speed run. It is one of my best games, aside from SG3DS. I enjoy it thoroughly, even though a lot about it sucked.
hi my name is izzy and i dye my hair to look like scarlett johansson

Offline Zorkiy

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 01:56:32 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWEHwvcnyM
Well, at least this game has excellent music. ~The Water's Edge~ is my favourite BGM in Sonic series.

Offline SB737

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 09:19:52 am »
So why did sega not finish the game, were the deadlines too tight, or did they attempt something to advanced for the time, did they over do it a little?

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 09:53:05 am »
"The reason why we probably ended up with what we see today, involves a lot of reasons. One is that we did want to launch the title around Christmas, and we had the PS3 launch coming up, but we had to develop for Microsoft's 360 at the same time and the team had an awful lot of pressure on them. It was very hard for the team to try and see how we were going to come out with both versions together with just the one team. It was a big challenge."
—Yojiro Ogawa (Sonic Team producer)

"Basically one team split between developing for two pretty different consoles (one of which was brand new), while rushing for a Holiday release."
—xxKyuSamaxx (Gamespot Forum)

EDIT: Read 1stKirbyever's post for more information because he didn't just copy and paste quotes!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:31:30 pm by danieldude »
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 09:53:32 am »
So why did sega not finish the game, were the deadlines too tight, or did they attempt something to advanced for the time, did they over do it a little?

There are many false rumors floating around but as far as we know (which it should be true), this is what happened:

As far as what we have gathered it was because of deadlines. Simple and sweet: Rather than extending the deadline they decided to shell out an empty shell of a game before Christmas due to sales. (Notice how most games come out around November-December?)

Most of the problems that happen in-game are a result from Sonic Team not really caring about the franchise to actually make it better, giving us a steamy pile of crap.

Most people will blame Microsoft (I did at one point) for the cause of Sonic 2006 being terrible but like DsS has pointed out also, if Microsoft was the cause for a bad release why is the PS3 version just as if not worse?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Danieldude.
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline SB737

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 04:11:10 am »
so a port in the future with the game a bit more finished, wouldn't be too bad? although the game had glitches at it's core?

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 02:28:51 pm »
I think if they spent another year or two on a rerelease, it'd be a good game. However I wouldn't count on it considering Sega essentially cuts ties to low-metascore Sonic titles (source).

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 08:34:28 pm »
Why would Sega spend time "remaking" a game that caused Sonic's financial viability to plummet as a result of its infamous reputation? Even if they did fix the bugs, there's still features that make the game pretty boring like the debugging gems in Sonic's gameplay, the nonsense logic of some stages (Sonic falls straight through sand? No gradual sinking effect? really?), extremely bland missions (turn around and talk to a guy to finish a mission?), empty adventure areas, and the way they structured the game prevents them from properly shortening or removing loading screens from its existence due to the bulky modular nature of each part of the stages. And I don't need to say much about story. The point I'm trying to get to is spending money to fix a game that has a deservedly poor public opinion which people don't need to remember exists and thus unlikely to buy a "fixed" copy is a poor use of money when the other option is just to make a brand new game that people aren't automatically biased against.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 04:15:43 am »
Sega could make a sequel that's good...!
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 09:53:00 am »
They already made Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 10:06:13 am »
But then again, they had already made Sonic the Hedgehog :O
It would be a better idea for Sega to just keep making new games that aren't linked to Sonic 06 like they have been doing.

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 10:10:12 am »
The only game that's "linked" to Sonic06 is Generations.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 10:37:25 am »
Yes, there is a link between the two games. However Generations is very different to Sonic 06 (and almost definitely better than a Sonic 06 sequel would be).

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 01:39:56 pm »
I feel like I'm alone with my 06 views....
Anyways, I'd love to glitch the hell outta the 06 sequel. SO FUN!!
hi my name is izzy and i dye my hair to look like scarlett johansson

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 01:41:42 pm »
>06 sequel

Offline Alondite

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 12:42:32 am »
The Kingdom Valley demo that was released a couple months before the game came out doesn't even play the same way the final does because the demo is from a later build than the final (wtf).

Seriously? Maybe that's why I found the demo tolerable, even enjoyable enough to buy the game back when it first came out...

Offline SB737

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 04:03:29 am »
The Kingdom Valley demo that was released a couple months before the game came out doesn't even play the same way the final does because the demo is from a later build than the final (wtf).

Seriously? Maybe that's why I found the demo tolerable, even enjoyable enough to buy the game back when it first came out...
Sega's sneaky sales tactics - make the demo good so people buy it then make the game bad..

Offline dwhitethegamer

• Speedstar.
  • Oracle of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • THE ultimate gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 11:02:23 am »
Well, if you overlook all the bad things of Sonic 06, the game plays much like Sonic Adventure (well, if you're playing as Sonic).  Silver's gameplay is something I had to get used to, however.
The best of what the gamers are made of.

The gaming miracle.

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Weeaboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 04:12:51 pm »
I actually quite enjoyed Silver's Story and levels.
Mainly because he's so broken :P
Proud supporter of Cookie☆ (クッキー☆) MADs.

Print

Hits: 288 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.33 MB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.