don't click here

Race Night 6: Sonic Generations

Print

Author Topic: Race Night 6: Sonic Generations  (Read 39341 times)

Offline flying fox

Race Night 6: Sonic Generations
« on: October 14, 2012, 08:11:39 am »
Well last night was another success. Last week we saw Sonic Adventure 2 breaking the largest race number on SRL and we almost did it again with Advance 1 but unfortunately somebody had to drop out at the last moment due to lag issues :(

Anyway from chat on the race channel, turns out people would like to see generations for next Saturday. As this is a very long game and has different goals on SRL, I would like as much feedback as possible on what goal you guys would like.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:57:56 am by flying fox »

Re: 3D Race Night 3: Generations
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:41:05 am »
well i don't know anything about common goals or whatever since i don't spend much time on srl, but being that it's 3d race night it should probably involve modern sonic levels.

Offline Parax

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 12:55:20 pm »
I'd like to do a run from a new file personally.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:58:43 pm »
i wouldn't mind doing what hyper said. however for me i don't know about skills vs no skills. i kinda get the feeling doing it with skills would put me even further behind in the race. i don't really know what skills to use, and even if i did know i wouldn't know what to do with those skills lol.

doing it from a new file wouldn't be too bad, the bosses and missions would probably add an extra half hour or more to the race for an average player though, and i dunno if people would want to race something that long. of course it might not be too big a deal since wind waker races seem to be popular, which any reasonable goal is probably quite lengthy.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 03:38:55 pm »
I'd have to agree with Hyper. Although I wouldn't mind a full game run although the 2-3 hour story could be a bit tedious for some of our racers.

I'm up for anything really.

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline Parax

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 04:00:51 pm »
i wouldn't mind doing what hyper said. however for me i don't know about skills vs no skills. i kinda get the feeling doing it with skills would put me even further behind in the race. i don't really know what skills to use, and even if i did know i wouldn't know what to do with those skills lol.

doing it from a new file wouldn't be too bad, the bosses and missions would probably add an extra half hour or more to the race for an average player though, and i dunno if people would want to race something that long. of course it might not be too big a deal since wind waker races seem to be popular, which any reasonable goal is probably quite lengthy.

Modern = use Endless Boost, Acceleration, Power Brake, Blast Off. For some levels it's better to take out Endless Boost and replace it with stuff like Direct Jump but for a race it's not going to be worth the time to swap skills and this set works really well on every level. Classic = Thunder Shield is a must, aside from that whatever you want since none of the others help all that significantly. I usually like to use Power Brake and Athleticism, personally.

Also, in terms of length, I can run through the game in ~1:20 or so. If you have some idea of what you're doing it shouldn't really take too much longer than that, maybe up to 2 hours or 2:15 or something.

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 04:09:02 pm »
To be honest, I don't really think we should include the speed glitch. It zgives an unfair advantage to console compared to PC, and an advantage for those who don't know how to do the speed glitch.

Excuse typos. I wrote this on a bouncey bus back from DC.
hi my name is izzy and i dye my hair to look like scarlett johansson

Offline Parax

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 04:19:57 pm »
First off, PC doesn't really have much of a disadvantage, they're missing on a couple minor skips in a few levels but the big stuff like City Escape is entirely doable on PC. Frankly they probably make up for it with significantly faster loading.

Second, "some people don't know how to do it" isn't really a reason to ban something.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 04:23:26 pm »
I'd agree with Lucario on this one. Alot of us don't know how to perform the glitch effectively enough as you or romulo or someone with the better stats. I think we should leave this glitch out of races because it could frustrate people into thinking they must do it because someone else is. If you get me...

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:24:43 pm »
....It's hard work? Thanks Werey.

On a different note, how much is it on steam?

Still on a bus

Offline flying fox

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 04:28:33 pm »
I checked on steam and it says £20.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 04:39:05 pm »
thanks for the tips umbreon, if i get time this week i might look up some routes and see if i can put endless boost to good use. knowing me i'll put it off until saturday at around 4pm though, lol. i'm personally not opposed to a new file run, since your estimate of 2 hours or so is about what my last playthrough took me. 2 hours to me isn't a huge deal on a saturday, dunno how other people feel though.

for what it's worth, i also don't really think the speed glitch needs to be banned either. i know i can't do it for shit, but from what i've gathered it doesn't make a difference on a lot of levels. as far as i know it's tough to pull off too, seems like it might be unreliable in a race. i don't know though, maybe it's easier than i'm imagining. i also imagine that if i can't do the speed glitch, i clearly haven't practiced very much, and it being banned probably won't make me rank any higher in the race anyway.

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »
My personal preference would be no skills all acts and bosses (not the emerald ones). Basically because it skips all the bullshit like cutscenes and much of the loading and because it only requires a save file where you've beaten the game.

Otherwise I'd go for new save file too but I really despise most of the missions.

Offline Parax

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 07:08:24 pm »
for what it's worth, i also don't really think the speed glitch needs to be banned either. i know i can't do it for shit, but from what i've gathered it doesn't make a difference on a lot of levels. as far as i know it's tough to pull off too, seems like it might be unreliable in a race. i don't know though, maybe it's easier than i'm imagining. i also imagine that if i can't do the speed glitch, i clearly haven't practiced very much, and it being banned probably won't make me rank any higher in the race anyway.

Exactly. In almost every level the speed glitch makes little to no difference, the exceptions being City Escape and Chemical Plant. Everywhere else it saves less than 10 seconds total.

I just don't see the logic in this line of thinking. Should we have banned superbounce from the SA2 race because some racers didn't know how to do it? Or maybe we should've banned skipping through the final room of Crazy Gadget? (I say that as someone who participated in that race and did horribly, by the way.)

Like, from my point of view these races are still a form of competition, and part of doing well in competition involves knowing how to compete well. If you don't have that knowledge then your play is going to suffer for it, whether we ban this glitch or not.

edit: One more thing. If anyone wants to try to learn how to do it, here. Just spend ten minutes learning it, it's pathetically easy to pull off every time with a tiny bit of practice.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:15:48 pm by Umbreon »

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 07:45:35 pm »
What I was thinking is get your best profile, and pick some stages to do. We would poll for the stages (please note that I mean both) and we race Classic and Modern for that stage.

Or, we could do "Who can race all of Chemial Plant first?" and we would do Act 1 then Act 2.

EDIT:I meant we do more than one....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:03:20 pm by Lucario »

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 07:48:49 pm »
Dark Aura, that's the shortest goals in the world. No point. If we're racing generations not from a new file, a race to beat every stage would suffice, in my honest opinion.

Offline Parax

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 02:10:15 pm »
For simplicity's sake, let's say there are five options here:

1. beat the game from a new file
- beat every main level with both Classic and Modern
  2. with skills
  3. without skills
- beat every main level + bosses with both Classic and Modern
  4. with skills
  5. without skills

My vote still goes for 1.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 02:13:49 pm »
beat main stages only, more than enough time imo.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 03:49:25 pm »
Anything that doesn't require a full game run which means doing challenges aswell.

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 08:11:30 pm »
Just one thing I want to ask: Is it okay if we don't use the speed glitch that often? I don't want to lose just because I can't pull off a speed glitch. I can understand Shadow, but the stages would give someone a huge unfair advantage. I am not saying ban it in the race, I'm just asking if it is okay that the participants don't use it much.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 01:11:35 am »
If you got it, flaunt it. There is no reason that "oh guys please dont use this glitch that I cant do" is a valid argument to ban a strategy.

I may actually race in this one, because I haven't played Generations in a while and it's hella fun. I can't do the speed glitch either, I tried for a solid half an hour and didn't even get anything close to it once, but I'm not going to whine that it exists; there's no way I will win so it doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

Also as mentioned on most levels it doesn't even really save all that much time, if you try to do it and fuck it up, what now?

tl;dr d-d-d-d-deal with it

also my vote is for 4/5 as I dont mind whether skills are allowed or not and it doesnt really take that much longer than option 1. option 1 because I'm a numpty and failed at reading.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:19:58 am by Bilan »
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline SB737

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 06:11:47 am »
lets play from a new file - and do it single segment style, goal: just beat the game from a new file :)
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 01:19:51 pm »
i had to thing long and hard (lol) about this, anyway i guess my preference would be 1. i think that 2 or 3 would be better for getting non tsc people involved though.

Offline flying fox

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 10:16:18 am »
From reading the posts regarding the speed glitch, I have decided that it will not be banned.

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 11:52:45 am »
Did I vote? If I did, can it not count? I will not be participating in the race anymore. I have Teacher Confrences and a play to watch.  I also need to practice my speed glitch more if it is allowed.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 02:13:22 pm »
There was a poll?

Offline Parax

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 02:17:34 pm »
1. new game - 4 (Umbreon, RPG, sonicboom737, sonikkusama)
2. main stages w/ skills - 4 (Werey, Hyper,theultimategamer95, Shadow Jacky)
3. main stages w/o skills - 1 (Hyper)
4. main stages + bosses w/ skills - 0
5. main stages + bosses w/o skills - 1 (TimpZ)

Correct so far? Need more votes still.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:44:01 pm by Umbreon »

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 02:22:48 pm »
Wereycar says number 2 please

Offline SB737

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 04:24:35 am »
1. new game - 4 (Umbreon, RPG, sonicboom737, sonikkusama)
2. main stages w/ skills - 2 (Werey, Hyper)
3. main stages w/o skills - 1 (Hyper)
4. main stages + bosses w/ skills - 0
5. main stages + bosses w/o skills - 0

Correct so far? Need more votes still.
looks like we're playing froma new file ;)
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

Offline theultimategamer95

• Your typical speed runner
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • I am the ultimate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 10:25:43 am »
Me votes for number 2
My Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/theultimategamer95

My PSN = greatgamer83

My Skype = theultimategamer95

Print

Hits: 275 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.20 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.