don't click here

Question concerning Competition Rules (Sonic 1)

Print

Author Topic: Question concerning Competition Rules (Sonic 1)  (Read 5481 times)

Question concerning Competition Rules (Sonic 1)
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:03:50 pm »
Hello everyone.
Due to the new Scrap Brain 2 level wrap, it is possible to hit the signpost but then fail the transition to the next level.
But according to the competition rules, the following paragraph

"* For all levels except the final level, if the game does not transition to the next stage, your stat is invalid."

is applied in S2 and S3, but NOT in S1 and S&K.
Has this simply been overlooked or are there reasons?

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Re: Question concerning Competition Rules (Sonic 1)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:08:17 pm »
It was not listed there because there were no known instances of triggering the bonus tally without proceeding to the next level in Sonic 1 until a short while ago. The rule will hold there as well, given that the underlying machine code for this in both games is extremely silimar.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 11:38:12 am »
So, for some reason, the paragraph hasn't been added to the Sonic 1 rules.
Is this run submittable?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3yfh50lwaw

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 12:07:18 pm »
^ Well, seeing as Thorn's stated that the transition rule applies to S1, and your video is titled "sb2-13sec-no transition", I don't think so. You'd better check with him just to be sure. If this is the case, then all the stats on the S1 charts which have been obtained by utilizing level wraps without transitioning are void. (Also, as you can see, the rule page isn't updated regularly. :P)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:15:47 pm by danieldude »
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 02:11:08 pm »
^ Basically this. You were told that the rule would hold in Sonic 1 as well, and that remains the case. The ruling does not change simply because time has passed.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 02:55:03 pm »
We are talking at cross-purposes, I'm not trying to make a case for allowing this.
I'm simply stating that, despite passing 10 months, this video would be fully compliant to the current ruleset. How should a new visitor know what's allowed if it's not stated in the rules but somewhere buried in a forum reply.

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 03:10:07 pm »
^ I support your reasoning, and I agree that the competition rules should be kept more up-to-date. However, the general competition rules do state the following: "Common sense applies in all games. If something seems iffy, you probably should not be doing it. Or at least check with someone before you do." Members are encouraged to ask an admin whether something is allowed or not if they wish to attempt something that may possibly violate the rules.

EDIT: Thanks for the heads-up SonicBoom737 . . . so they have. :O
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:35:58 am by danieldude »
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline SB737

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 07:16:51 pm »
Just so you're aware teentee http://www.soniccenter.org/submit/rules the rules have been updated - I'm gonna have a look to see if you can transition to the next level even if you miss the jump ;)
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

Print

Hits: 120 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.02 MB | Time: 0.15s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.