don't click here

Sonic 1/Green Hill 1 Score Attack. Help!

Print

Author Topic: Sonic 1/Green Hill 1 Score Attack. Help!  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Savant

Sonic 1/Green Hill 1 Score Attack. Help!
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:50:06 pm »
Folks,

This thread is the big reason why I have joined TSC. I am currently in a score attack competition being held by a local game shop for GH1 in Sonic 1. The absolute highest score I can currently attain is 70,830. The current leader is 72,100 (Oddly enough, his screenshot shows he only has 72 rings. Not sure how he got this score. We'll discuss that later.)

I have mapped out my current route on the stage map to show what route I'm taking.

Can someone who knows S1's GH1 intimately give me some pointers here on how I can increase my points? Am I taking the wrong route?

Thanks for your time and help, guys!

Here's the route:
http://i.imgur.com/k1Hpt.jpg

Offline Savant

Re: Sonic 1/Green Hill 1 Score Attack. Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:45:22 pm »
Here is the screencap of the current high score: http://i.imgur.com/j87zZ.jpg

To me, this doesn't seem to add up or be legit. Most of the scores within this range tend to have much, much higher ring counts. Can anyone confirm whether or not this score is legit, or if the person killed a few enemies after getting 100 rings, then died?

Offline FuzZerd

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:22:41 pm »
unless my memory sucks, the top score of 75,230 require over 100 rings.

also I made a TAS of 77430 with 134 rings.  if you do nothing but remove the extra rings that comes to 71230.

that score seems a bit suspect to me, but is probably possible with bigger enemy combos that couldn't be done with out skipping a lot of rings.

Your route neglects the 3 ring boxes down by the invincibility, which would get you another 3000 points.  if you get those, I'm sure you can beat 72100.

Offline Savant

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 08:35:48 am »
Thanks for the reply, Fuzzerd. I was hoping you weren't going to mention the low route, because that jump is extremely difficult for me to nail from up top. :P

Is there only enough time to grab 3 out of the 4 boxes? I'd imagine going for all 4 would be the ideal thing to do if you're going to be down there.

You think it's suspect too, huh? I don't know, man. 3,900 in enemy combos alone seems kinda fishy. I mean, your TAS run netted 3,000 before the end, and that looked like it combo'd everything it could. I can't imagine how that would be improved.

Anyway, I'll try to nail the lower route. I've got until Feb. 20th to master it. Thanks for the input, Fuzzerd.

If anyone else has any input, please, by all means, do share!

Offline FuzZerd

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:34:49 am »
there's only 3, the fourth is an invincibility. I think the fastest way is to avoid it, but it's really difficult and requires luck.

as I recall it's possible to add another enemy to the combo at the end but it adds nearly a second (I might be remembering wrong, I don't feel like watching the TAS right now.

(I'm almost certain) getting 3,900 points from enemies alone is possible.  I'm not sure however that doing it in under 30 seconds is.  but of course I could be wrong. another 900 points isn't that hard, and some time could be saved by avoiding rings.

PS. there's a video on this site where he bumps the rock a little bit as you jump, and you make it into that little hole most of the time that way.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:03:21 am by FuzZerd »

Offline Savant

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:06:37 am »
I am now 1-2 seconds shy of a 73K-74K run.

My final question to nail this run is the little trick both your TAS video and the video on TSC uses: How do you get through the loop & the S-tubes so fast?! It almost looks like you guys do a jump and curl up at the 3 O'Clock position on the loop, but that never seems to work right when I try to duplicate it. What exactly are you doing to get that extra burst of speed? If I can get that, I've got this run.

Thanks for all your help, Fuzzerd. You've given me the breakthrough I needed!

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 08:37:56 am »
It's a jump and a roll into the top of the loop, it's a cool trick but the timing is pretty difficult until you get the hang of it.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Savant

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:35:12 pm »
Zorkiy and I had a brief conversation on how to perform the loop jump, but I'm still a bit unclear on how to nail it consistently.

As I understand it, you are to perform two jumps; one at around the 5 o'clock mark, and another around 12 o'clock.

I've been able to get it to work maybe twice out of 50 tries. I get what I'm trying to do, but it does not look anywhere near as fast or as clean as mike's video or Fuzz's TAS.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Offline FuzZerd

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »
it's probably closer to a 4 and 11 o'clock.

then there's a third jump just after you land the second one.  this can give you so much speed though that it's possible to die before even exiting the tunnel, so be careful.  also as rpg mentioned, it's very difficult.

Offline Savant

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:11:30 am »
I've been able to get it down much more consistently now, and I have encountered that bottom-of-the-screen-death thing more than I'd like to admit. I actually tap left in the first s-tube a bit to put the brakes on after getting out of the tunnel.

Still no luck on pulling a 73K/74K run yet. Not having much luck with bouncing on the ring boxes efficiently. I have had many 30 second runs. :|

Offline Savant

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 10:55:40 am »
Thanks to your help, I was able to pull this gem:

http://i.imgur.com/Ldhty.png

73,930!! Submitting this now. I think this is the highest I can get on S1GH1. Now all I gotta do is duplicate this at the local game shop. :]

Thanks again, everyone!

Offline FuzZerd

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 11:26:18 pm »
how many tries do you have to get a high score?

Print

Hits: 295 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.02 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.