don't click here

Sonic Generations - The Next Sonic Game

Print

Author Topic: Sonic Generations - The Next Sonic Game  (Read 146462 times)

Offline Firstkirbyever

Sonic Generations - The Next Sonic Game
« on: April 07, 2011, 10:11:44 am »
Updated, June 7

Post info moved to inside topic to avoid front-page spoilers. If you don't want spoilers, don't read this topic!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:50:41 pm by Zeupar »
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Generations(?) - The Next Sonic Game
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 12:01:26 am »
June 7
Green Hill (3DS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxql0JYBh68
City Escape (consoles): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVc-VDI2y6c
Adorable Picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/5727213437/in/set-72157626400442837 (note that it appears in a 23-pic set of Generations screens)

3D confirmed for PS3, 360, and (surprisingly enough!) 3DS. 3DS uses Genesis Green Hill 1 as the classic Green Hill act. City Escape video also confirms Rooftop Run 360/PS3.

Update, April 18
Sonic Generations officially announced.
Source: http://www.sega.com/games/sonic-generations/

Gameplay Trailer

Update, April 19
In-game footage. Clearly edited, but with clean audio and the majority of the first level for both Classic and Modern styles.

Initial Post by FKE
You all saw it coming. As Sega promised, at exactly 9am (EST) they released a 50 second teaser trailer that shows off what's to come later on this year. (I would post more about the video but who would want to spoil that?)

Although it has no name it's mostly obvious that the title will be 'Sonic Generations'. Not much is known other than the game will be released (With some form of Online content) for the Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 this year. (I assume it's Q4) People with the Nintendo Wii/3DS will be disappointed to find out that they will be missing out on this title. You may also noticed the level mostly confirms the rumor from October.

So other than this [not so useful] info, what are your thoughts on the teaser trailer? It's also my obligation to say "BWAAAAAAAAA, GREEN EYES."

Thorn EDIT: For the sake of moving this post to the site's front page, lemme clarify a few things FKE / Mysterious Figure / whatever-he's-called-today said without citation. The initial trailer reveal was done on the official Sonic Facebook page on April 7 at 9 AM EDT. The "Sonic Generations" expected title comes from a recent URL registration from SEGA that does not have any content at the moment. Official confirmation of consoles is at the end of the video and shows 360 and PS3; Nintendo players shouldn't count themselves out this year, as there were also rumors of 3DS titles and another Mario & Sonic game (and if turning Radical Highway into a snowboarding level didn't do it for you in the last one, you are unpleasable). Various release dates have been thrown around, from the actual 20th anniversary of Sonic on June 23, 2011 to the usual October to December holiday release, but the timing of the trailer showing suggests a later release.

WOO!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:56:04 pm by Thorn »
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Cort

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 01:30:37 am »
I can't wait for it!

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 04:11:12 pm »
The classics.
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:15:33 pm »
Classic Sonic looks awesome in 3D. I wonder what the game will be about.
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 06:02:44 am »
HYPE MACHINE ACTIVATE D:
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Gpro

• TSC: Gamepro011
  • win10 firefox
  • It's okay; don't worry about it
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 07:47:46 am »
I think this may be the greatest discovery since(insert the best discovery here)!!!!!!! Hopefully this time SA1 and SA2 may have an equal. If this happens... the epicness of Sonic will be apparent again(to other gamers, that is[I hope]) ^_^

Offline DBG

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:12:25 pm »
It wouldn't surprise me if people began hating on this game like many have been before.
You can't beat me! I AM DABESTGAMER!!!
www.youtube.com/user/dabestgamer

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 11:59:45 pm »
This doesn't look very interesting yet... I just see Green Hill Zone for the 80th time, a terrible Sonic the Hedgehog game mechanic (sliding) still existing, and a general sense of "hey Mario, us too" in terms of.. the overall feeling of it I guess. I look back and remember how awesome it was to be playing Sonic Adventure 2 and how much it proved that Sonic still had a lot of life and places to go, and the only thing they can come up with here to celebrate the 20th anniversary is a past life? Maybe I'm just being too optimistic :(

Offline werster

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:42:13 am »
a terrible Sonic the Hedgehog game mechanic (sliding) still existing

I second this notion. The instant I heard that sound, I felt let down by the game already. But who knows, maybe black eyes blue hedgehog will get to do real stuff.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:21:38 am »
I love that we finally have an official 3D black-eyes model.  Regardless of how good the game is at least there's a start to getting the classic sonic model back.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 12:40:37 pm »
Sonic Generations officially announced.
Souce: http://www.sega.com/games/sonic-generations/

Also, Gamplay Trailer Spoiler: It's epic.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Generations - The Next Sonic Game
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 04:14:23 pm »
I could whine about not being able to play my sonic, but honestly, it looks great.  If it doesn't have S06 problems, it looks like it could be Unleashed, with werehog replaced with classic sonic platforming...  and honestly, isn't that what's best for everyone?

Not assuming it'll be great, but they got colors right... maybe 2 in a row?

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 05:16:08 pm »
Rolling physics seem... forced... :( Especially at 0:40 in the interview... Remember Sonic 06? Everything about that game was forced. Granted, this is only one thing that's forced, but nobody seemed to see how much of it was forced before the game came out. And then beyond that it just seems like it goes like "Hey, look at MODERN Sonic. He's got all this STUFF chasing him. And he BOOSTS." And... that's about it.

I really hate the whole concept of this game because it feels like a huge question-mark towards me that asks "What would you rather pay for?" Because I know what Sega is going to do afterwards: put the favored version in a blender, add a bunch of stupid crap, and sell it for all it's worth, forsaking the other for the favored while at the same time not being truly fair to either of them. It's like a cage match where the winner is soaked in the blood of the dead carcass of the loser.

I'm gonna eat a donut. That's something that won't be depressing. :(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:23:08 pm by Magnezone »

Offline Gpro

• TSC: Gamepro011
  • win10 firefox
  • It's okay; don't worry about it
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 08:33:10 pm »
I want to think more optimistically(I know about the pessimist being an optimist's realist thing), going by the logic of the newer games, while being much shorter than the previous ones, have been getting better since Sonic '06, so we may have another great game on our hands. Let's hope that it isn't too short, though. Although, I'm starting to believe that I'm the only person looking for the brighter possibilities. :( Oh well, stuff happens.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 03:35:03 am »
Hm, I remember I had this vision a while ago of how they should do a 2.5D Sonic game that would sometimes have some 3D segments. Then they announced Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and I was amazed my vision came true, but then sort of threw a fit at how it was just downloadable and didn't make use of new-gen graphics and moving camera angles. I think I had an argument with Rolken over this, I think it was, who said it wouldn't make sense and would never happen. ;P Now this game is exactly like what I imagined, except I didn't see the classic Sonic look coming of course, not to mention the 3D gameplay looks lame as to be expected. Anyway, I'm not saying it'll be good or great, however I am more interested about it than I've been for any Sonic games in a while.

EDIT: oh, I think I got the first signs of my vision coming true with Sonic Unleashed actually. It was pretty weird cause it got announced only a few months after. But it turned out quite different than my vision compared to this. OK I'll shut up now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:52:43 am by F-Man »

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 05:30:31 am »
Chemical Plant
Hydrocity
Sky Sanctuary
Quartz Quadrant
Amazing Arena (just for the music)
Rusty Ruin
Crystal Egg
Secret Base
Ice Paradise
Chaos Angel (Cyber Track would look fucking sick though)
Huge Crisis
Pirate's Island

hell if I know if they're even touching the adventure titles and such...

I'm getting this out of my system after looking at the interview and seeing how expansive Green Hill was made.  I hate you Sonic Team >_>
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 05:59:52 am »
Ya know, as pessimistic as I can be, I saw me a spindash as classic sonic...

I mean, honestly, most of us are going to pick it up one way or another (how many of us own 06...), and I don't think this could be the worst sonic outing, as there's already a lot of competition for that award.

It does look breakable in some places, and I hope it is.  Obviously it can't be 2D-game broken, but that doesn't mean I can't hope for similar nonsense.  Looking forward to release and will be keeping an eye on it.  SEGA made colors awesome, let's go for two!

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 08:17:39 am »
Oh, well, look at that.  The gameplay trailer doesn't mention Wii at all.  Good thing I noticed that before getting my hopes too high XD
Also, you just *know* there's going to be firestorms about peoples' favorite levels missing.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 04:48:49 pm »
I was about this game. Classic Sonic levels play like the classic game and modern Sonic levels play like Sonic Unleashed/Colors. That classic Green Hill Zone remix is awesome!
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 10:50:23 am »
I... like the look of this. :o And bear in mind I long ago gave up on giving in to Sonic game hype back with Heroes. Also haven't bought anything since S06...

I like the concept of the two play styles. Varied gameplay has been good in Sonic games, but often removes the speed that everyone craves - these two styles are both quintessential Sonic gameplay.

I never played Unleashed or Colors, so don't know how the switching gameplay works. Kinda think they should have just had Adventure-style for modern Sonic, given that you have sidescrolling for classic Sonic.

HOWEVER, this is a short gameplay exposé; for all we know, both Sonics actually have the same gameplay, there are just more or fewer classic gameplay elements.

I did like the giant chomper: taking the classic enemy, and implementing it in the Sonic-is-getting-chased-by-something-in-the-first-level style of the 3D games.

Long story short: I'm keeping quietly optimistic.

Side note: Extended gameplay shows one of the big problems of modern Sonic: "Hup. Whoa. Yeah! Wahey~ yeah!--" OMG SHUT UP.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 07:26:49 pm »
I might make a rant about What I think of this so for. I will post the link of my video when it's uploaded. I just need to record myself talking about it.

Don't worry about my rant. I don't think it's really good video to watch.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:59:03 pm by SonicandInuyasha »

Offline SirJaden

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 04:01:58 pm »
More stuff:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zcObxik3f3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9l43bhgt0&feature=player_embedded

Thorn EDIT: Both of those videos are blocked by Viacom for copyright infringement. If you're referring to the interviews from GameTrailers, we have those in the chatroom topic.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:01:51 pm by Thorn »

Offline SirJaden

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 11:24:14 am »
Oh, yep.

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 11:43:55 am »
Would it be funny if this game does have levels from Sonic 06, Unleashed and Colors.

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 11:51:04 am »
They've confirmed that the levels will be from Sonic 1 - Sonic Colors. Now what WOULD be funny is if they had levels from Sonic Labyrinth & Spinball. :P

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 11:53:38 am »
They've confirmed that the levels will be from Sonic 1 - Sonic Colors. Now what WOULD be funny is if they had levels from Sonic Labyrinth & Spinball. :P
OH GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!
or any Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure levels. :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:58:57 am by SonicandInuyasha »

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 05:40:41 pm »
There had better be some serious DLC in this game ... that, or people hacking it!
My presssioussss....

Offline Paused

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 07:06:00 pm »
There had better be some serious DLC in this game ... that, or people hacking it!

Talking about DLC before the damn game is even released?

I hate you, asshole.

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 08:19:04 am »
More like common sense ... I highly doubt there's enough space on disk for every one of the Genesis levels, for example, yet how do you choose which ones to keep?
My presssioussss....

Print

Hits: 710 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.29 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.