don't click here

Sonic And Sega: All Stars Racing Charts!

Print

Author Topic: Sonic And Sega: All Stars Racing Charts!  (Read 7105 times)

Offline Cort

Sonic And Sega: All Stars Racing Charts!
« on: March 05, 2010, 10:04:41 am »
I would wonder if in Sonic And Sega: All Stars Racing, will have competitions Charts?

Offline Firstkirbyever

Re: Sonic And Sega: All Stars Racing Charts!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:26:31 am »
We've already talked about this in IRC, since the game already has online leaderboards we will not be adding charts. Simple as that.

EDIT: though this brings up another issues, what about Sonic riders: Zero gravity? That had leaderboards yet it's still up.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:31:57 am by 1stKirbyever »
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:02:27 pm »
Two things:
1. FKE, I wasn't present for this discussion in IRC, but that is terrible logic. While the official leaderboards serves the same purpose for somebody who wants to view good times, it defeats the purpose of the sitewide rankings, and the official leaderboards separate the PS3, 360, and Wii players despite them differing only by seldom-used characters, DLC, and graphics.
2. Cort, the News and Updates board's most recent post gets put on the front page. Why did you erase the front-page news to ask a question? Come to think of it, you shouldn't have permission to post there. I'm editing the permissions now to only allow special member groups to post new topics there. If anybody has anything front-page worthy relevant to Sonic games or the scene, ask an admin to move a post you make on the topic, or ask anybody with extra forum permissions to make the post for you.

EDIT: Forgot the words "new topics"... replying to topics there is okay, else we wouldn't use a forum for it.~
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:11:43 pm by Thorn »
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 12:21:06 pm »
1. FKE, I wasn't present for this discussion in IRC, but that is terrible logic. While the official leaderboards serves the same purpose for somebody who wants to view good times, it defeats the purpose of the sitewide rankings, and the official leaderboards separate the PS3, 360, and Wii players despite them differing only by seldom-used characters, DLC, and graphics.

I was asking about adding charts but Zephyr, (or someone else) was saying how because this game has online-leaderboards it shouldn't be added to charts (or something like that) I don't have the logs for this but we should talk this over again.

EDIT: the only issue with time attack is that it doesn't show the usual 3-lap,1-lap (or vice versa) but only records your best Lap time.
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 01:31:05 pm »
Do not confuse Zephyr and Zeupar. The former is a Mother/Earthbound series fanatic that will break your stones over ambiguous or incorrect grammar (in a funny way); the latter actually has authority. Zephyr gives opinions, Zeupar gives rulings.

Time Trials only give single lap, and only every other lap matters in most cases because you'll usually want to use a speed shoe right before the lap line at a lap's start and another within a lap. Races, however, save your best three lap time (and only your best three lap, iirc; I don't have the game in front of me atm) if you thumb through the info screens. This is definitely plausible, even if we might want to look at the rules in Races (AI difficulty? Hazards? Catch up? Items?).
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 01:33:39 pm »
Personally I wouldn't rely on the official charts much. Who knows, they can get infested with cheaters over time (Wii version in particular with the Homebrew shenanigans) and thus distort the rankings overall. Some players may not have access to Wi-Fi either (at this current age it's unlikely but you should always count on that). As far as I know Mario Kart Wii's Top 10 tables were reliable until the point Nintendo started to delete legit times per sheer stupidity (to give others a chance to get in, they say, LOL).

If you guys have been featuring charts of most Sonic games up to now (not sure, I haven't been keeping up in par with the news here), why shouldn't SSASR be part of the group as well? It only gives more competition and more scores to the website from my point of view. There's Mission mode and other conditions TSC could explore, I guess.

The only annoying thing would be getting up separate charts for each version. I know all versions were built to be the same, but you can never be so sure the track designs are highly accurate among all 5 platforms. If the games are in fact equal in design then charts would help merging times together to get a true ranking table up with times from all versions.

I really don't see any reasons not to do it (unless charts take up a fair amount of work to be set up, or something time and effort consuming like that). Personally I'd love to submit my stats to TSC once I get the game, and perhaps I could convince some players from the Mario Kart Wii community to do the same.

Offline Cort

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 02:06:13 pm »
2. Cort, the News and Updates board's most recent post gets put on the front page. Why did you erase the front-page news to ask a question? Come to think of it, you shouldn't have permission to post there. I'm editing the permissions now to only allow special member groups to post there. If anybody has anything front-page worthy relevant to Sonic games or the scene, ask an admin to move a post you make on the topic, or ask anybody with extra forum permissions to make the post for you.

Thorn, I did not know that posting in NEWS AND UPDATE, put the index of the TSC. I'm sorry for that! my intention was not that but a simple question about the charts! However, forgive me if I did something wrong, now, thank you for understanding all!

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 02:11:06 pm »
Races, however, save your best three lap time (and only your best three lap, iirc; I don't have the game in front of me atm) if you thumb through the info screens.

Races save your best times for each lap setting, not just for three laps.

Print

Hits: 252 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.03 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.