don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog iPhone/iPod Touch version

Print

Author Topic: Sonic the Hedgehog iPhone/iPod Touch version  (Read 6896 times)

Offline Cream147

Sonic the Hedgehog iPhone/iPod Touch version
« on: May 22, 2009, 11:30:13 am »
This is now downloadable at the App store. It appears to be an accurate port of the original, unlike Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, though I may be wrong. The only thing that seems different is it drops frame rate quite badly at times. Would records made on this be submittable to the Sonic 1 charts?

P.S. Sorry about my lack of competing in the league. No computer doesn't help that.

Offline FuzZerd

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog iPhone/iPod Touch version
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 04:29:34 pm »
pretty cool, seems to be the original physics to me, though I'm not sure if the frame rate issues are bad enough to warrent not allowing it, and the potential confusion with this and sonic genesis for the ipod touch could be a problem.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:46:24 pm »
To address all of the above, this version is the *exact* same as the original Sonic 1 (and thus can be used to submit stats if you care to). Tests over on Sonic Retro have found that it's it's not a port, but rather a Sonic 1 ROM being played in a custom emulator -- you can even take the ROM file and play it in any other emulator . From what I hear, though, there's only one jump button (probably A), so debug and slow-motion cheats probably won't be possible.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline fastnaturedude

• Potential for Anything
  • TSC: Cyan Ryan
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 09:23:24 pm »
All the better! Debug and slow-motion are banned anyway.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:57:18 am »
Ah, but doesn't that also mean you can't level select?
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:13:58 pm »
^ Not necessarily. It depends what that single jump button functions as. If it's A, then the level select can be accessed. It it's anything else, no cheats can be used. I'd be willing to say it's most likely A. It'd be silly if it was C, since that would allow for screwing with the demos and credits sequence and you'd think Sonic Team would be aware of this 18 years after the fact.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 06:53:58 pm »
facepalm
Totally forgot the level select sequence again.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Cream147

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 01:14:48 pm »
Well that's good then. Not that I'd want to submit records with it really...I suppose rings would be doable.

I have to say that I'm quite disappointed with SEGA. I'm pretty sure the iPod is perfectly capable of recreating Sonic the Hedgehog without frame rate issues. Why do developers seem to feel it's acceptable to release games with poor frame rate on the iPod. It's just lazy. On any other platform it would be an outrage. I really hope they update it and fix it, but I doubt they will.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 06:38:42 pm »
Well that's good then. Not that I'd want to submit records with it really...I suppose rings would be doable.

I have to say that I'm quite disappointed with SEGA. I'm pretty sure the iPod is perfectly capable of recreating Sonic the Hedgehog without frame rate issues. Why do developers seem to feel it's acceptable to release games with poor frame rate on the iPod. It's just lazy. On any other platform it would be an outrage. I really hope they update it and fix it, but I doubt they will.

At least it's not as bad as Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for GBA... 

Stealth is an amazing hacker/programmer, yes, but it's still really bad that ONE GUY who's NOT GETTING PAID TO DO SO can better port S1 to GBA than some company getting paid big bucks by SEGA itself...

So yes, in this day and age, with the programming capabilities out there, anyone who's not making good ports of games that old is either lazy or stupid.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Nextgengamer9

• old
  • TSC: 457
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 08:59:34 pm »
Can't really say i'm suprised.and now Sega's making a 2D Sonic Unleashed for the Iphone too.

Print

Hits: 347 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.06 MB | Time: 0.45s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.