don't click here

I will not make the obvious joke about watching.

Print

Author Topic: I will not make the obvious joke about watching.  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Crowbar

I will not make the obvious joke about watching.
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:16:45 am »
So, Watchmen. Who saw it? I did, at the BFI Imax last night.

It was alright, about as good as I could've expected really.

I liked:
Dan, The Comedian, Rorschach, and Laurie were all pretty well portrayed, Dan in particular looked exactly as he did in the comic.
Uuuuh, it looked good?

I didn't like:
Standard Hollywood acting. very few of the readings of the lines felt natural (in particular, Jon's actor felt like he was going for an overly obvious "spaced-out" way of talking, which wasn't really reflected in the comic).
Sally Jupiter was too young and healthy-looking.
Adrian was a god-damn loser.
Too much fucking CGI. Every god damn shot.
That said, they could've used it to do the Comedian's scar properly. It just looked wimpy without extending his mouth.
I was sick of the FASTFASTFASTssssssssssllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooow style of editing action scenes by the end of 300. Is this Zack Snyder's "trademark" now?

These are mostly nitpicks, though. Overall it was decent.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
Re: I will not make the obvious joke about watching.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:15:29 am »
Too much fucking CGI. Every god damn shot.

Bwuh?

Umm... as the entertainment industry progresses w/ technology, shouldn't ALL digital entertainment because full-CGG?

I personally think, speaking as both a director and as a 3D modeler/animator, that making a movie with actors vs. making a movie with CG is very much the same as doing speedruns vs. doing TASes...  Unless there is someone caring about the effort or skill that went in, then the latter is superior in all fashions...

There are only two groups who prefer LA/TA over CG/TAS... the people who do it/have done it, and appreciate the effort that goes into it, and the people who are stuck with the mindset that "machine = bad/fake"

personally, I think it'd be awesome to wire these people to a virtual matrix one day, let them live there for 10 years, wake them up, show them the computer they were living in, ask them if the last 10 years of their life was a lie, and giggle at the response...
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Stefan

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:23:27 pm »
I liked:

Rorschach
Good Dr. Manhattan rendering
Excellent portrayal of themes
The opening sequence
Rorschach
Similarity to graphic novel
Themes
Rorschach
Other characters were cool too; the comedian, nite owl.
slow motion fighting (in the first scene)
Rorschach
The overall high development quality of the film.
Many of the action sequences (especially the stuff at the end.. good stuff)
Pop culture refs
Rorschach's mask (forgot to put this one on here earlier)

I didn't like:

Pretty much any girl character (I know, it's sad! Tell them to act well next time)
The soundtrack. (Bad point highlight: out of tune hallelujah during tender scene)
That terrible accent Veidt had.
Mars.. I nearly fell asleep in the theater at every mars scene.
The nite owl lovin; it could have been abbreviated.
slow motion fighting (after the first scene)
A lot of the camera style

Overall, it was a good movie. Don't let critics fool you; even with excessive nitpicking, the quality of film is fairly good. It's very true to the graphic novel, and it does a lot of stuff well. Where it starts to fall apart is living up to the hype. Watchmen was an extremely hyped motion picture, and I think its various flaws sort of kill that hype for people.

So yeah, pretty cool movie. But.. it's flawed. definitely.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:14:14 pm »
Stefan I don't think you mentioned Rorschach enough. He's too badass to have only been mentioned 4 times (plus one for his mask).
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Print

Hits: 178 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1015.70 KB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.